Author Topic: The Astonishing live and lack of an encore...  (Read 14836 times)

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
Re: The Astonishing live and lack of an encore...
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2016, 06:23:37 PM »
My thoughts:

I understand there is not an extra song played outside of the album front to back. I am ok with this. It IS billed as The Astonishing Live.

Would I like an extra song? Fuck yea!

Am I upset that there isn't one?

Nah bro.
Exactly my thoughts. DT's proactive thinking to bill this as a show just for the new album works for me.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline genome

« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2016, 05:59:57 AM »
This has been blown out of proportion. The booing was lighthearted and meant as a joke.

How does one boo light-heartedly and jokingly?

You boo in a major key.

I'm imagining a a major 7th chord barbershop quarter style boo   :lol

Offline Newspin

« Reply #107 on: February 24, 2016, 01:35:34 PM »
An Encore is a sham. The " encore " is written on the setlist. No gig has an "encore" . It's all a charade.

The Astonishing live is well over 2 hours of music.

BOO HOO there's no "encore"

Oh grow up.

Thank You!

One of the few sane persons when it comes to the "encore" thing. I hate encores when they are planned out in advance. On the first "Flying Colors" concert BluRay, when they came back after about 5 minutes of applause to play a song they practiced - just in case... now THAT is an encore and about 0.5% of bands have that!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: February 24, 2016, 01:57:04 PM »
An Encore is a sham. The " encore " is written on the setlist. No gig has an "encore" . It's all a charade.

The Astonishing live is well over 2 hours of music.

BOO HOO there's no "encore"

Oh grow up.

Thank You!

One of the few sane persons when it comes to the "encore" thing. I hate encores when they are planned out in advance. On the first "Flying Colors" concert BluRay, when they came back after about 5 minutes of applause to play a song they practiced - just in case... now THAT is an encore and about 0.5% of bands have that!

Well there are time limits and restraints with the venue so it's not realistic to think a band will perform a set and if, and only if, the crowd cheers loud enough then they come back.  Then all of the rest of the concerts where that didint happen, those fans got screwed out of an extra song or two.

There's no doubt the "encore" is really just part of the set list.  But that doesn't mean it isn't an "encore"

Another point I wanted to make regarding DT and encores...DT has had some really awesome encores in the past sometimes lasting 15-20 minutes.  Some bands just do one more song, or two, nothing crazy, but DT has had some very memorable encores from my experience.  "Schmedley Wilcox" is one of them, playing The Count of Tuscany, Metropolis ft. Dweezal Zappa (spelling?).  They have historically done more interesting encores than other bands.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #109 on: February 24, 2016, 02:00:19 PM »
I was thinking... It would have been cool to see The Astonishing front to back, and then encore with The Bigger Picture.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2016, 02:03:09 PM »
I was thinking... It would have been cool to see The Astonishing front to back, and then encore with The Bigger Picture.

I personally really wanted Behind The Veil like the Europeans got this summer.  I'd take the Bigger Picture too though.  I'd expect to see that next tour.