Author Topic: The Astonishing - Unpopular opinions  (Read 63364 times)

Offline jakepriest

Re: The Astonishing - Unpopular opinions
« Reply #245 on: February 14, 2016, 05:38:29 AM »
(LaBrie’s voice isn’t well suited for ballads)

It’s a shame the awesome intro of “A Life Left Behind” isn’t part of a different song... it's mostly terrible after 1:23.

LaBrie is much better in ballads where he uses his mellower side than when he tries to force out his high notes which sound shallow and are not really pleasant to listen to imo.

And the A Life Left Behind thing...  :facepalm:

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #246 on: February 14, 2016, 06:56:37 AM »
“The Astonishing” is a disappointment after the self-titled album (which was a step down from “A Dramatic Turn of Events”).

I respect Petrucci’s ambition and willingness to try new things, but I couldn’t take all the cringe-inducing melodramatic lyrics and singing (LaBrie’s voice isn’t well suited for ballads) and after the first few all-the-way-through listens, I cut out the cheesiest 10 songs. Then a few days later I dropped 5 more. For the last week I've been listening to 15 songs, and I’m probably going to cut out 5 more songs this week.

To be fair, no Dream Theater album is good start-to-finish, and the remaining 10 songs are still 45 minutes of music. “Moment of Betrayal” and “A New Beginning” are standout tracks, and there are a lot of other wonderful moments: the ending of “The Gift of Music”, the middle and end of “Three Days”, the middle of “2285 Entr’acte”, and most of “Heaven’s Cove”, “The Path That Divides”, “The Walking Shadow”, and “My Last Farewell”. It’s a shame the awesome intro of “A Life Left Behind” isn’t part of a different song... it's mostly terrible after 1:23.

I may stitch together the best parts of the songs into one giant “Astonishing” medley.

I have the same opinion about the last 3 albums.  Yesterday, I listened to the first 30 minutes of it and for the first time in 2 weeks, I did find it pretty good but it's soooooo soft.  But... I feel it much better (for the 1st 30 minutes).  Gonna listen to the rest more and I will see.  Still haven't buy my tickets for the show in Montreal.  Not sure about going.  The previous tours.... my tickets were bought as soon as they were available.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #247 on: February 14, 2016, 07:18:24 AM »
Unpopular opinions, lets see.... I reckon you could take several configurations of the songs from the Astonishing, and make some 40-odd minute playlists that would all be better than 6DOIT disc 2...  :o

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #248 on: February 14, 2016, 07:20:04 AM »
“The Astonishing” is a disappointment after the self-titled album (which was a step down from “A Dramatic Turn of Events”).

I respect Petrucci’s ambition and willingness to try new things, but I couldn’t take all the cringe-inducing melodramatic lyrics and singing (LaBrie’s voice isn’t well suited for ballads) and after the first few all-the-way-through listens, I cut out the cheesiest 10 songs. Then a few days later I dropped 5 more. For the last week I've been listening to 15 songs, and I’m probably going to cut out 5 more songs this week.

To be fair, no Dream Theater album is good start-to-finish, and the remaining 10 songs are still 45 minutes of music. “Moment of Betrayal” and “A New Beginning” are standout tracks, and there are a lot of other wonderful moments: the ending of “The Gift of Music”, the middle and end of “Three Days”, the middle of “2285 Entr’acte”, and most of “Heaven’s Cove”, “The Path That Divides”, “The Walking Shadow”, and “My Last Farewell”. It’s a shame the awesome intro of “A Life Left Behind” isn’t part of a different song... it's mostly terrible after 1:23.

I may stitch together the best parts of the songs into one giant “Astonishing” medley.

This is one of the most astonishingly bad posts I have ever read on this forum. :P :biggrin:

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #249 on: February 15, 2016, 10:23:34 AM »
Well, being ashamed of what you like speaks more about you than the artists or the work of art.

Totally fair point.  Just coming to terms with liking something that in the past I called cheesy when other bands did it.  Not trying to say anything bad about DT.

Personally I'd be a lot more embarrassed if someone caught me listening to Bieber or Beyoncé.

Offline Aquila Chrysaetos

« Reply #250 on: February 15, 2016, 02:37:36 PM »
It's too long and the songs just aren't strong enough.

I'm kind of with this.
I dont know, somehow I have really hard time getting into this album. My attention is gone after 4 songs. I dont feel an urge to hear the rest of the songs.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #251 on: February 15, 2016, 02:55:52 PM »
A Life Left Behind should've been full-on prog like the intro. That's the only song I don't like that much because I'm get excited as hell with the intro and then the whole thing just comes down. I love the slower-tempo songs on this album but ALLB is not one of them.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #252 on: February 15, 2016, 03:02:16 PM »
I listened to it again this morning from beginning to end and I don't think I ever been more bored in my life.  I'd rather stare at a clock for 2+ hours or watch grass grow.  I had to go back and listen to a classic like ACOS to remind myself I'm still a DT fan.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #253 on: February 15, 2016, 03:04:12 PM »
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #254 on: February 15, 2016, 03:26:57 PM »
I had to go back and listen to a classic like ACOS to remind myself I'm still a DT fan.

If ACOS is a classic then You Not Me is a masterpiece.  :corn

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #255 on: February 15, 2016, 03:58:44 PM »
I had to go back and listen to a classic like ACOS to remind myself I'm still a DT fan.

Funny guy.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #256 on: February 15, 2016, 04:02:19 PM »

I don't get this.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #257 on: February 15, 2016, 04:11:52 PM »

I don't get this.

I just happen to think ACOS is the most overrated song in DT's history. The only part that does anything for me is Another World.  :justjen

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #258 on: February 15, 2016, 04:13:30 PM »
ACOS is a DT classic, whether you like it or not.

And even though you don't like it, comparing it to You Not Me is seven galaxies of silly lol.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #259 on: February 15, 2016, 04:18:53 PM »
And even though you don't like it, comparing it to You Not Me is seven galaxies of silly lol.

Isn't when you think You Not Me is a better song.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: February 15, 2016, 04:31:13 PM »
I too think A Change Of Seasons is really over rated. :dunno:

Offline pcs90

« Reply #261 on: February 15, 2016, 04:35:56 PM »
A Change of Seasons has some cool instrumental sections, but that's about it for me. But I also think Pull Me Under and Metropolis 1 are overrated so...

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #262 on: February 15, 2016, 04:38:30 PM »
I too think A Change Of Seasons is really over rated. :dunno:

Agreed.  Their only epic that does nothing for me.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #263 on: February 15, 2016, 04:39:58 PM »
Yeah, definitely my least favorite song on The Astonishing aswell :neverusethis:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: February 15, 2016, 05:13:42 PM »
ACOS = Greatest song ever written.... by ANYONE.  :hat

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: February 15, 2016, 05:14:34 PM »
It's not even the best Dream Theater EPIC let alone song.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: February 15, 2016, 05:17:33 PM »
hehe... by FAR the best DT Epic....But hey, we all have our opinions!

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #267 on: February 15, 2016, 05:23:29 PM »
hehe... by FAR the best DT Epic....But hey, we all have our opinions!

I totally would never have guessed that you liked A Change of Seasons that much. I am soooo surprised.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #268 on: February 15, 2016, 06:28:10 PM »
One unpopular opinion deserves another and another and so on.  Thus, a thread of unpopular opinions and so on...  :biggrin:

However, if this thread gets too big then opinions won't be unpopular anymore.   :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: February 15, 2016, 06:30:15 PM »
Re: The Astonishing - Unpopular opinions ???

The Astonishing is the shortest album Dream Theater have made :neverusethis:

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #270 on: February 15, 2016, 06:51:01 PM »

Isn't when you think You Not Me is a better song.
You Not Me is bad. Very bad. I don't remember the last time I listened to that song but I remember being like 'UGH' back then.

And I think saying YNM is a masterpiece compared to ACOS seems silly because YNM didn't manage to do anything in the DT community. It's one of their most hated songs and for good reason, wheras ACOS is one of the most beloved compositions by the band. It's OK if you don't like ACOS, but the comparison doesn't seem appropriate lol.

Time to move on, back to talk about The Astonishing - Unpopular opinions.

Unpopular opinion - I'm totally OK with the lack of metal on this record.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline deslock

« Reply #271 on: February 15, 2016, 07:29:49 PM »

This is one of the most astonishingly bad posts I have ever read on this forum. :P :biggrin:

Hey, that's why I posted it in this thread :D

Down to 10 songs. Current ranking, for posterity:
  • Moment of Betrayal
  • A New Beginning
  • My Last Farewell
  • The Path That Divides
  • Heaven's Cove
  • 2285 Entr'acte
  • Dystopian Overture
  • The Walking Shadow
  • Three Days
  • The Gift of Music

Offline deslock

« Reply #272 on: February 15, 2016, 07:30:31 PM »
(LaBrie’s voice isn’t well suited for ballads)

It’s a shame the awesome intro of “A Life Left Behind” isn’t part of a different song... it's mostly terrible after 1:23.

LaBrie is much better in ballads where he uses his mellower side than when he tries to force out his high notes which sound shallow and are not really pleasant to listen to imo.

And the A Life Left Behind thing...  :facepalm:

Are you face-palming because you disagree with my opinion of "A Life Left Behind", or because you agree that they combined an awesome intro with a mostly terrible song? :D

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #273 on: February 15, 2016, 07:58:14 PM »
The hell, YNM is a great song actually, and I'd dare to say, slightly better than LiTS  :smiley:

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #274 on: February 15, 2016, 08:15:17 PM »
Overall, I think it's one of DT's worst albums.  Like, bottom three.  I'd rather listen to When Dream and Day Unite WITH CHARLIE.  I honestly tried to give this a chance, even after my first post about it in the official thread for the album.  But, I'm sorry, the story is just....I don't know what else to say.... ridiculous. 

Edited....

Actually, I have to change my opinion.  I think it IS DT's worst album.  I was thinking SC and Train of Thought were below it, but they're actually not.... for me.  And, I HATE those albums. 

Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #275 on: February 15, 2016, 09:07:08 PM »
If I may add something:

I don't like "Pull Me Under".

And I love "Stream Of Consciousness".

EDIT: Oops, wrong thread :P
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 06:10:50 PM by SebastianPratesi »

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #276 on: February 16, 2016, 12:28:58 AM »
A Life Left Behind is awesome all the way through.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #277 on: February 16, 2016, 01:08:14 AM »
A Life Left Behind is awesome all the way through.

I concur. I especially love the chorus.

Offline emeidan

« Reply #278 on: February 16, 2016, 01:18:26 AM »
Wait.. Why didn't Arhys just tell Darius that his parents were going to also be at Heavens cove to meet Gabriel and Fayth... then he wouldn't have tried to capture gabriel, and fayth and arhys wouldn't have been hurt.....

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #279 on: February 16, 2016, 01:42:29 AM »
Wait.. Why didn't Arhys just tell Darius that his parents were going to also be at Heavens cove to meet Gabriel and Fayth... then he wouldn't have tried to capture gabriel, and fayth and arhys wouldn't have been hurt.....

Because his motivation for conniving with Daryus is Daryus' tempting offer for a better life for Xander.