Author Topic: The Astonishing - Unpopular opinions  (Read 63334 times)

Offline Enigmachine

Re: The Astonishing - Unpopular opinions
« Reply #175 on: February 08, 2016, 08:07:21 AM »
I always found that DT consistently have very audible bass compared to most other metal bands.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: February 08, 2016, 08:14:08 AM »
At this point I've grown to be a firm believer that I will never see something that has never been done before, never, even if I think it is completely new; I'd know it has origins somewhere else, there are no more things that can come out of nothing. So I don't have a problem with DT recycling old ideas from themselves or other bands as long as they make a presentation that I enjoy and they've always done both these things.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #177 on: February 08, 2016, 08:17:39 AM »
I'm glad I do my listening on high quality headphones. Never had an issue with hearing JM on any album, including TA. If I try listening on my crappy laptop speakers though, I can't hear the bass, like the fill in Dystopian Overture, but that's a speaker problem, not a mix problem.

I'd like JM to be a bit louder overall on TA, but I can still definitely hear all of those cool fills and such.
I don't even have fancy headphones or anything, but I do really like the earphones I use and yeah I've always found it fine. Then again, I'm fairly sensitive to bass (I often get irritated with music being too bassy in venues, pubs, people's houses) so maybe that's a part of it. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #178 on: February 08, 2016, 08:49:23 AM »
This is 100% their best album since Train of Thought.

FTFM

Offline pretorios

« Reply #179 on: February 08, 2016, 08:51:07 AM »
b) The Nafaryus medioeval march during the beginning of A Saviour in the Square (after the nice guitar arpeggio) really kills the mood for me. Up to that moment, I love the album, then it suddenly becomes too cheasy and burlesque

That's a top ten (maybe even five) moment on the album!

Agree. Reminds me of something Kansas might have done. Just great stuff.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #180 on: February 08, 2016, 12:15:14 PM »
I don't get the ending at all. Daryus killed Arhys AND attempted to kill Xander, yet he is forgiven by Gabriel. He almost killed Faythe (albeit by mistake), yet he is forgiven by his whole family - just because he lost his hearing?

I don't know if 'cheesy' is how I would describe it, but the ending seems too 'happy' for that situation - at least the part concerning Daryus.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #181 on: February 08, 2016, 12:51:44 PM »
I don't get the ending at all. Daryus killed Arhys AND attempted to kill Xander, yet he is forgiven by Gabriel. He almost killed Faythe (albeit by mistake), yet he is forgiven by his whole family - just because he lost his hearing?

I don't know if 'cheesy' is how I would describe it, but the ending seems too 'happy' for that situation - at least the part concerning Daryus.
As someone who feels quite strongly about forgiveness in general, I don't see the problem. He immediately regrets his actions and is pretty severely punished when his ears bleed out. Are you saying he should be murdered back?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Gromit1710

« Reply #182 on: February 08, 2016, 12:52:00 PM »

Well, in a world where being musically inclined makes you "the chosen one" and "A god who walks among us", being deaf and unable to hear anything seems a pretty hefty punishment, given out by Gabriel as well. 

*shrugs* I dunno. yeah, kinda tidied up a bit to puppies and kittens for me as well but I don't mind.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #183 on: February 08, 2016, 01:09:48 PM »
I like several songs quite a lot on this album, but it's just exhausting to listen to as it was intended. So I made a playlist:

Dystopian Overture
The Gift of Music
Lord Nafaryus
A Savior in the Square
Three Days
Ravenskill
A New Beginning
Moment of Betrayal
Heaven's Cove
Hymn of a Thousand Voices
Our New World

That's fifty minutes too, and a pretty good album at that.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #184 on: February 08, 2016, 01:13:38 PM »
I find the story to be really underwhelming for all those character bios and world-building they were doing pre-release. Like, I can take the cheesiness (I find a lot of Scenes From A Memory to be in the same calibur of cheese), but I was expecting like, some giant battles or a renegade Nomac dubstep death machine or something.

See, I actually found what they did with the story in that regard to be more compelling and interesting than simply a war/revolution story.  It is implied that revolution and war are brewing, and that conflict is imminent.  But rather than focus on the military battles, the story instead focuses on the interpersonal relationships between the eight main characters, and how those relationships averted war and changed the course of history in the story.  I thought that was kind of cool.

Along similar lines, it hit me that Savior in the Square as a song title has a double meaning.  I mean, who is the "savior" that it is referring to?  The obvious answer is Gabriel.  But I think it also perhaps refers to Faythe.  From a literary standpoint, she fits the "savior" role.  Notwithstanding Gabriel's miraculous power, she is the one who ultimately takes the actions that avert war, which saves countless lives.  And in the process, she inadvertently sacrifices her own life, only to be "resurrected" by the hymn of 1,000 voices as the people rediscover the power of music.  Not sure whether JP intended the "savior" title to refer to her, but it certainly fits, and fits rather well. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #185 on: February 08, 2016, 01:17:11 PM »
I like several songs quite a lot on this album, but it's just exhausting to listen to as it was intended. So I made a playlist:

*snip*

I couldn't quite cut out as much as you did, for me it's pretty much cut in half length-wise, I found it hard to leave out a lot of the Act 1 songs:

Dystopian Overture
The Gift of Music
A Better Life
Lord Nafaryus
Three Days
A Life Left Behind
Ravenskill
Chosen
The X Aspect
A New Beginning
Moment of Betrayal
Heaven's Cove
The Path That Divides
The Walking Shadow
My Last Farewell

15 songs, 70 minutes.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #186 on: February 08, 2016, 01:18:52 PM »
Oooh good call on A Life Left Behind and The X Aspect, they are pretty nifty. I somehow forgot about them when making the playlist, but yeah, they deserve to be on there.

Added to my playlist.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #187 on: February 08, 2016, 01:32:15 PM »

As someone who feels quite strongly about forgiveness in general, I don't see the problem. He immediately regrets his actions and is pretty severely punished when his ears bleed out. Are you saying he should be murdered back?

I don't think that he should be murdered, but that he should be judged and punished for his actions. I know, the story is set in a different time and place to where I live, but I can't imagine the president's son murdering someone, getting away with it AND being friends with the victim's family. It doesn't feel realistic to me. Although to be honest I don't consider myself a very good forgivener ('forgiver'?), so maybe I'm looking way too much into it.

Well, in a world where being musically inclined makes you "the chosen one" and "A god who walks among us", being deaf and unable to hear anything seems a pretty hefty punishment, given out by Gabriel as well. 

*shrugs* I dunno. yeah, kinda tidied up a bit to puppies and kittens for me as well but I don't mind.

I guess. It makes me think how miserable I would be if I couldn't listen to music anymore.

Offline Estiui

« Reply #188 on: February 08, 2016, 02:22:24 PM »
Ok, let me put my armor... ok, done. A New Beginning would be a better song without the last part.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: February 08, 2016, 02:28:01 PM »
:flame: Estiui

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #190 on: February 08, 2016, 03:39:56 PM »
A New Beginning is one of my least favourite songs on the album. I can't stand the vocal melodies.

Offline RJ86

« Reply #191 on: February 08, 2016, 06:24:02 PM »

*snip*

I couldn't quite cut out as much as you did, for me it's pretty much cut in half length-wise, I found it hard to leave out a lot of the Act 1 songs:

Dystopian Overture
The Gift of Music
A Better Life
Lord Nafaryus
Three Days
A Life Left Behind
Ravenskill
Chosen
The X Aspect
A New Beginning
Moment of Betrayal
Heaven's Cove
The Path That Divides
The Walking Shadow
My Last Farewell

15 songs, 70 minutes.

I may "borrow" your playlist...
I am having a difficult time getting this whole thing into one full listen. It is just too long with too much filler. I can hear some brilliance in this album, just cant weed through it on my own. By the time I get done listing to the full thing. I catch myself wondering which song was that with the killer part?? But I do have to admit, Moment of Betrayal is the song that has really jumped out to me. It's that song that should be the 12 minute epic  ;D

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #192 on: February 08, 2016, 06:38:33 PM »
apparently it's an unpopular opinion to like hymn of a thousand voices? that's one of my favorite from the listens i've given this

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #193 on: February 08, 2016, 06:53:32 PM »
I don't think TROAE is even in the same league as BAI.

I agree, except TROAE is the one in the higher league imo.

Definitely unpopular.   :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #194 on: February 08, 2016, 08:00:54 PM »
I don't think TROAE is even in the same league as BAI.

I agree, except TROAE is the one in the higher league imo.
Yeah, BAI is only top-10 tier, TROAE is top-5 tier.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #195 on: February 08, 2016, 08:21:02 PM »
DT the League 2015 would like to have a word with you.

BAI is top 2 in division 1.  TROAE is top 10 (6th seed) in division 2.  But technically they are in the same league.  So, I was wrong before.   :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #196 on: February 09, 2016, 02:57:35 AM »
A New Beginning is one of my least favourite songs on the album. I can't stand the vocal melodies.

Hmm... I really like this song, was a stand out on first listen but... Something was still 'off' for me. And I think you just put it into words. It's the vocal melodies, but only in the 'chorus' mind you (if we can call that repeating section a chorus). But then again, I'm certain those melodies show up somewhere else, might even be Dystopian Overture? And don't mind it there, just seems a bit too 'cheery' or something when it's sung..? I have no idea what I'm trying to say but there's something funny going on there.  :lol

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #197 on: February 09, 2016, 03:25:48 AM »
The chorus has a Disney cheese that could be embarassing in public, I love it, but I can understand it can be off for some :)
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #198 on: February 09, 2016, 08:04:05 AM »
But then again, I'm certain those melodies show up somewhere else, might even be Dystopian Overture?

Yes, they appear in the Overture at 3:25, and for a short while in "My Last Farewell" at 3:15 (it's not the same exact melody, I think, but the drumming sounds pretty much the same to me).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #199 on: February 09, 2016, 08:16:22 AM »
Unpopular opinion:  Three Days is not in my top 5 songs on the album.  If I had to rank them, it might not even be top 10.

(but I do still love it)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline crbazevedo

« Reply #200 on: February 09, 2016, 08:38:34 AM »
Hi, this is my first post ever here. It goes like that: If Kevin hadn't left DT, we'd never come closer to hear the kind of epic arrangements, brilliant piano playing, and orchestral compositions of SDOIT, ADTOE, and TA, which are three of the finest DT albums. And I doubt DT would take that direction if Jordan wasn't in the band. So, I am very glad that Kevin left. :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #201 on: February 09, 2016, 08:41:16 AM »
Hi, this is my first post ever here. It goes like that: If Kevin hadn't left DT, we'd never come closer to hear the kind of epic arrangements, brilliant piano playing, and orchestral compositions of SDOIT, ADTOE, and TA, which are three of the finest DT albums. And I doubt DT would take that direction if Jordan wasn't in the band. So, I am very glad that Kevin left. :tup

I pretty much agree.  That doesn't really have anything to do with The Astonishing, so it doesn't really belong in this thread.  But, yeah, good post.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #202 on: February 09, 2016, 09:22:28 AM »
Unpopular opinion:  Three Days is not in my top 5 songs on the album.  If I had to rank them, it might not even be top 10.

(but I do still love it)
You're a terrible person.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #203 on: February 09, 2016, 09:29:06 AM »
Yes, but off topic.

Offline crbazevedo

« Reply #204 on: February 09, 2016, 09:45:55 AM »
I pretty much agree.  That doesn't really have anything to do with The Astonishing, so it doesn't really belong in this thread.  But, yeah, good post.

Thanks. Yes, slightly off-topic. Perhaps I should narrow it down and rephrase it as: TA would've never been written without the kind of classical influences of a musician such as JR.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: February 09, 2016, 09:53:14 AM »
I usually skip Brother,Can You Hear Me?

WHY

Offline pcs90

« Reply #206 on: February 09, 2016, 10:28:09 AM »

(but I do still love it)
Same, that goes for Lord Nafaryus as well. I still love both though especially Three Days. There are just so many other songs that I love even more...

Offline legenden1

« Reply #207 on: February 09, 2016, 11:13:15 AM »

I can relate to that. I totally love this album except for A new beginning and Our new world which others seem to hold as favourites. Don´t think these are fitting in musically at all

Offline Malt Licky

« Reply #208 on: February 09, 2016, 11:58:54 AM »
Unpopular opinion: TA is a disappointment and is mediocre, sappy, cheesy, and not worthy of DT.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #209 on: February 09, 2016, 01:35:23 PM »

Hmm... I really like this song, was a stand out on first listen but... Something was still 'off' for me. And I think you just put it into words. It's the vocal melodies, but only in the 'chorus' mind you (if we can call that repeating section a chorus). But then again, I'm certain those melodies show up somewhere else, might even be Dystopian Overture? And don't mind it there, just seems a bit too 'cheery' or something when it's sung..? I have no idea what I'm trying to say but there's something funny going on there.  :lol

If I"m not mistaken it's the abundance of major chords/intervals that you're detecting.  Yeah, it takes some getting used to, especially in aggressive rock music like DT's.