Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 518585 times)

Offline Kilgore Trout

Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #385 on: January 29, 2016, 09:03:25 AM »

I won't say anything bad anymore about the album, because it obviously hurts some people's feelings.

their album sucks.

:clap: :bosky:
Gosh. Don't read implications where there are none. I wrote "It's not like I'm waiting for them at the end of a show to say to them that their album sucks". I wasn't saying the album sucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #386 on: January 29, 2016, 09:04:50 AM »
Again, can we please turn the discussion to the actual content of the album rather than arguing over each others' positions?  Thanks.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #387 on: January 29, 2016, 09:05:03 AM »
I have an excellent audio system in my car, so I'm going on a nice long road trip now to listen to the new album. Brb.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #388 on: January 29, 2016, 09:05:20 AM »
Never mind Kilgore--we're at an impasse and distracting from the thread.

More relevant question: do most agree that JLB is the MVP?

I think JR put in really solid work as well, but I'm curious to hear what others have to say.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #389 on: January 29, 2016, 09:06:39 AM »
Whenever I get a new Dream Theater Album (or rush for that matter) I usually give them a few spins without trying to dig to much into details. More in a relax kinda let the album drive my mood way.
This has work pretty well before because I'm not comparing parts to previous albums/songs/bands etc. and usually make my experience with the album unbiassed. Only After a few spins then i start digging deeper into details (lyrics, music, etc)

So here my feelings/thoughts
My first spin: It felt really Fresh! The darker/less balladish songs stood out for me. First listen my favorites were three days and the walking shadow.
After a few spins: ballads really growing strong on me. but I'm all into nafaryous voice.. freaking bad ass and fresh in my mind. Act of fythe and X Aspect grew a lot on  me.

I think this album will grown on me a lot, specially when convined with all DT discography, whenever I feel overwhelmed with DT sound I'll be able to spin some songs from TA for a breath! I gotta say I feel the same with falling into infinity, it's fresh in the mist of all DT albums.

Offline thedrumanimal

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: January 29, 2016, 09:09:29 AM »
 :omg:
Damn that Xander dude is really pissed in the walking shadow.

Amazing song.  :metal That time shifting part:  :hefdaddy

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #391 on: January 29, 2016, 09:12:07 AM »
Whenever I get a new Dream Theater Album (or rush for that matter) I usually give them a few spins without trying to dig to much into details. More in a relax kinda let the album drive my mood way.
This has work pretty well before because I'm not comparing parts to previous albums/songs/bands etc. and usually make my experience with the album unbiassed. Only After a few spins then i start digging deeper into details (lyrics, music, etc)
I find this to be the only reasonable approach to listening to any music, really. Trying to get all in your head at first is a pointless imo.

Offline blackmetal666

« Reply #392 on: January 29, 2016, 09:21:17 AM »
This freaking album is fantastic.  It definitely grows on you.  With each listen more things start to stick out.  After my first listen I thought it was decent.
Now after multiple spins...I love it.

Easily best album since Scenes.
I can't stop listening.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #393 on: January 29, 2016, 09:30:49 AM »
Lol. Just noticed The Hovering Sojourn is too short for last.fm to register for some reason.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: January 29, 2016, 09:31:46 AM »
Again, can we please turn the discussion to the actual content of the album rather than arguing over each others' positions?  Thanks.

:zydar:

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #395 on: January 29, 2016, 09:31:57 AM »
Just finished my first listen.

I had avoided discussing this upcoming album too much because, to be honest, I was a little bit concerned about how it would hold up.

Well the first thing I did after finishing it was play it again :lol I am not sure I will have time to listen to it all again in one go but I really want to hear it again, so that is a good sign.

On initial listen, Three Days is my favourite track from there. The Path That Divides, Dystopian Overture, The Gift Of Music, Moment Of Betrayal and the good early duo of A Better Life and Lord Nafaryus are the other most memorable standouts for me. (Obviously I have heard The Gift Of Music and Moment Of Betrayal before, but they I thought they were both pretty good on their own and they are better as part of the album and in better quality). Several more were good and have potential to be among my favourites I am sure, but those are the ones I remembered most clearly after one listen.

Offline thosava

« Reply #396 on: January 29, 2016, 09:40:07 AM »
Yeah i got that, but i don't understand how lives can be astonishing? It doesn't seem like the proper adjective for that  :P

I googled "Astonishing" and I got, "extremely surprising or impressive; amazing"

The idea is that the people being allowed to make music again will introduce some more amazing and impressive things in their life. How did you feel the first time you ever listened to DT, or realized you loved it? That's what they'll finally be allowed to feel again.

As for why it's called 'The Astonishing,' as I understand it, The Astonishing is the process of Nafaryus realizing the true power of music and allowing it back into the world.

Thanks, that made a lot of sense!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #397 on: January 29, 2016, 09:41:27 AM »
I only listened to ACT I once thru last night as I had work in 9 hours :lol

But - whilst not everything stood out as memorable - i'm certain that's new album syndrome.

Obviously there were highlights and the production is stellar.

Descent of The NOMACs  :omg:  DAT SOUND.

SO many cool moments.

That Primus-y section on Three Days. i actually grinned so hard and went like \m/  :biggrin: \m/ AWESOME - at that part.

ACT II later.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #398 on: January 29, 2016, 09:43:56 AM »
Do you really put Descent of the NOMACs as a highlight? Bring that one to the controversial opinions thread  :lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline robin5749

« Reply #399 on: January 29, 2016, 09:49:22 AM »
just started act two, all I can say so far is james labrie is wonderful.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #400 on: January 29, 2016, 09:49:52 AM »
First off I would like to thank Amazon for delivering this YESTERDAY!!!

I have been begging for two things from a DT album:
1. Way more piano
2. Allowing James to go off

This album does both!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
  • Take me far away, to the ends of this earth.
« Reply #401 on: January 29, 2016, 09:53:00 AM »
First off I would like to thank Amazon for delivering this YESTERDAY!!!

I have been begging for two things from a DT album:
1. Way more piano
2. Allowing James to go off

This album does both!

I totally agree with number 2, but for number 1...
I'm more of a Petrucci person. I wish their were more guitar solos than piano. My opinion though.
I've been drinking beer since I was 18 and dabbled since I was 16. I have at least 500 beer bottles in my collection and love the fancy shit though my wallet doesn't. I'll drink liquor not even five times a year including shots or mixed drinks. Jack Daniels and Coke is an easy go-to for me. Very smooth nads candy sweet.

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #402 on: January 29, 2016, 09:56:39 AM »
Lord Nafaryus. I am in love with this song. This is new DT, a sound I haven't ever heard from them. I absolutely adore it.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: January 29, 2016, 09:58:10 AM »
Brace yourself, bow down to Nafaryus :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

« Reply #404 on: January 29, 2016, 10:00:13 AM »
Indeed... and the next sound sounds like an epic mix of Star Wars... and METTAALLL

Honestly, this album is so much hype. The first few songs were a bit bland... BUT THEN IT KICKED OFF! THE JOURNEY, AND THE ADVENTURE!

The melodies are next level. Not bland or boring, maybe cliched but I don't care, it's just what I love. It's the sort of cliched DT has never done before. And that's epic

In short, this album is to live for.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #405 on: January 29, 2016, 10:00:41 AM »
Brace yourself, bow down to Nafaryus :metal

That's more badass than anything on DT12.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

« Reply #406 on: January 29, 2016, 10:02:46 AM »
I have to agree... these songs put the previous album to shame.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: January 29, 2016, 10:08:56 AM »
I've only been able to listen up through "The Hovering Sojourn" so far, but it was really fun. So ridiculous and awesome that it became ridiculously awesome. I can't count the amount of times I laughed out loud. JLB was so fantastic in "Three Days".. that haughty laugh was perfect!

One thing that really stood out for me, was that it's totally a headphone album. The drums really sound fantastic and get out of the way with headphones on. Rumby's "typewriter" kick-drums completely disappear.

So, paint me happy...so far.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #408 on: January 29, 2016, 10:10:36 AM »
OMG this is amazing.  It is crazy to think that I'm only roughly 1/4 through this.  It is so unbelievably awesome so far.  Right now I'm at the "my music player" part of Act Of Faythe.  This is so incredibly awesome. 

Dystopian Overture was simply amazing also.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #409 on: January 29, 2016, 10:11:46 AM »
I definitely need to listen to it again, this time with the lyrics. I feel like I'm watching Lord of the Rings with the sound off or something. Some really cool "visuals", but otherwise I really don't know what's going on. And LOTS of walking.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #410 on: January 29, 2016, 10:14:08 AM »
Wow, that is saying alot! I love DT 12 probably more than most on this forum.  I have to wait another week to hear TA, my local record store forgot to order it and I requested it a week ago..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #411 on: January 29, 2016, 10:15:10 AM »
I have no solid idea what I think of this thing yet, but I will give them credit for trying something totally different.

Offline thosava

« Reply #412 on: January 29, 2016, 10:16:25 AM »
Wow, that is saying alot! I love DT 12 probably more than most on this forum.  I have to wait another week to hear TA, my local record store forgot to order it and I requested it a week ago..

I reccommend getting it on HDtracks.com!

Offline MikeDavis67

« Reply #413 on: January 29, 2016, 10:22:04 AM »
Our New World...   OMG.  Love the melody, vibe, triumphant sound, absolutely FANTASTIC!!!!!!!  Not overly complicated just a terrific Anthem sound!

Offline thosava

« Reply #414 on: January 29, 2016, 10:22:35 AM »
I can hear something weird in the end of the vocals on A Tempting Offer. What is that sound James is making? Is it some weird editing? Sound like he's saying: take the evening to decide... ivdsh

Offline MikeDavis67

« Reply #415 on: January 29, 2016, 10:22:46 AM »
YES!

First impression:

This is some of the most special, most melodic and beautiful music Dream Theater has even written.

Cannot state this more.  Well put!

Offline V_R11

« Reply #416 on: January 29, 2016, 10:28:21 AM »
Okay what is this "gift" Gabriel has? Am I dumb?
Seasons change and so can I

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #417 on: January 29, 2016, 10:29:08 AM »

The gift of music!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #418 on: January 29, 2016, 10:29:28 AM »

I reccommend getting it on HDtracks.com!
Thanks for the heads up..  I don't have a computer at the moment, just a Android phone. I have to wait for the cd next Friday. There are no best buys in my area and I seriously doubt Wal-Mart will have it. My local record store is only open Thursday through Saturday..lame!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline thosava

« Reply #419 on: January 29, 2016, 10:29:35 AM »

He can ressurect people by singing  ;D