News:

BREAKING NEWS:  Dream Theater reunites with drummer Mike Portnoy (10/25/23)

Main Menu

Train of Naught Debut Roulette - And the winner is...

Started by Train of Naught, November 03, 2015, 06:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evermind

Yeah, the male fronted pre-choruses on this song are total blast. When I listen to this song at work with my headphones on, everyone probably thinks I'm crazy on these moments. :lol Good to see I've got my first 9 in this roulette.
Quote from: Train of Naught on May 28, 2020, 10:57:25 PMThis first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Tyrias

Well, I can definetely live with an 8. Given your comment, I should have probably sent another song by her with more going on in the instrumental part of the song.
Also, I think I haven't commented on round 2 yet. Glad you liked that style so much, Caravan Palace are such a fun band and the kind of music I'd totally start dancing to on the street if it came up on my Ipod, screw people thinking I look ridiculous.

I'm kind of torn for what to send for the next round. Given I'm performing really well in this so far, I don't really want to send something super risky that might score me like 2, but then I also kind of want to introduce you to as much weird music as possible. ::)
Will probably send tomorrow

senecadawg2

Sweet- like where this is going! Also, had a feeling the 'moved me' comment was about that song, if for no other reason than the fact that it moves me more than any of the songame I've submitted or seen submitted so far.

I'll be sending my next tune later today.

Train of Naught

Quote from: Tyrias on November 22, 2015, 06:06:39 AM
Also, I think I haven't commented on round 2 yet. Glad you liked that style so much, Caravan Palace are such a fun band and the kind of music I'd totally start dancing to on the street if it came up on my Ipod, screw people thinking I look ridiculous.
Yeah me too, kind of getting the runner's high feel, but without the exhausting bit before.  :lol

Crow

yeah Thrice is basically awesome  :tup
also it's funny that both the failed and successful singer/songwriter entries also failed and succeeded in my roulette much the same  :lol

also RIP porcupine tree and caligula's horse entries
at least that means my round 4 entry is safe  :lol

Evermind

The Brothel is probably the song I underappreciated the most in my roulette, and it scored 9/10. If I could change the score now, I'd go for 10/10. Absolutely glorious song.
Quote from: Train of Naught on May 28, 2020, 10:57:25 PMThis first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Train of Naught

I find that kind of thing so hard to rate, because first, rating them individually seems the logical thing to do, but then you see various songs you like less turn out higher for some reason, it makes it harder with a completely different style of music, but I try to do my best and 8/10 seems good for now, I already regret a few of my earlier scores tho, but that's just how it goes when songs grow on you.

Quote from: Parama on November 22, 2015, 07:27:05 AM
also RIP porcupine tree and caligula's horse entries
at least that means my round 4 entry is safe  :lol
Been meaning to talk about Caligula's Horse when I coincidentally saw that thread pop up  :lol

P.S. I checked out that Pyramid Theorem thread and I've been pretty much spinning them non-stop, don't bother sending them if anyone ever planned to in the first place.

Crow

i guess i'll go check out that album too then, my to-listen list has been pretty well cleared enough for me to be able to now  :lol

Train of Naught

Crow

oh man my favorite thing ever :V
nah but i'm listening to this and it's pretty solid. actually liked the instrumental track the most thus far, i think, which is interesting  :lol
but yeah the epic is what's on now woo

Sacul

Train of Naught

Quote from: Sacul on November 22, 2015, 09:26:39 AM
Nice! Hope you have fun getting into PT ;)
Sure will! Their catalog is huge though, I guess I'll start with In Absentia and figure where to go from there on.

Crow

Train of Naught

Deadwing was already on my banned list ;), that's probably why he sent me something from In Absentia.

Tyrias

Sent my next song, hopefully not too risky. But I think I've only gotten good receptions for that song so far, so I hope it should be fine.
And yeah, Susanne Sundfor is amazing, I would have given that song a 9.5 probably, but I can live with an 8.

Also, that Tallest Man On Earth song is like one of his bottom 5 songs, in my opinion. If you find some time in between, check that live performance out for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qc2ss5HnEE
Check out timestamps 8:10 (Love is All), 12:55 (King of Spain) and 32:42 (where do my bluebird fly)

Sacul

Crow

oh

then either lightbulb sun or fear of a blank planet
personally I like lightbulb sun more but they're both goodj

Sacul

Shadow Ninja 2.0

Crow

i still need to get signify and stupid dream

i feel like the incident i can safely skip for now, as well as anything before the sky moves sideways, but signify especially has always sounded like my kinda jam and dark matter is fantastic so it's a small crime i don't have it yet (that i've got no excuse for :neverusethis:)

also listening to that AAL song
i like it more than physical education, but only by a little.

Personally, The Incident is one of my favorite ones of theirs, probably fourth behind the big three (IA-FOABP). I really like it quite a bit. Probably because it's more stripped back and has less "SW tries to do weird stuff."

I'm a little disappointed in my score this time, but that's okay. I'll try to figure out something to send today.

splent

This is going to be a close roulette.

I ALMOST sent Watcher of the Skies but I love the middle section of FOF.

Evermind

Train of Naught

Alright I got everyone's entry except for Sacul, Elite and 425. Will (hopefully) start listening thursday.

Oh there's also 2 songs from the same artist, but I won't ask any of you to resubmit because they're from different albums and I trust that you know what you're doing  ;D if there comes in a third one of them I will ask to resubmit though.

Crow

considering the artist i sent i would not be surprised in the least if it was the artist i sent
i'd actually be quite happy

Evermind

Looking at the list of participants, I don't think anyone else has sent a huge power metal song for this round.

Shadow Ninja 2.0

Crow

mostly there was a pretty large, obvious hole that i hadn't yet plugged but wanted to plug

LordCost

Quote from: Parama on November 24, 2015, 09:04:04 AM
mostly there was a pretty large, obvious hole that i hadn't yet plugged but wanted to plug
I bet everything I have that I sent the same artist of Parama :lol

LordCost

When I sent the song yesterday I was waiting for your message for telling me to resubmit, I was surprised that it didn't arrived

Sacul

Crow

Sacul

Train of Naught

Quote from: LordCost on November 24, 2015, 09:16:05 AM
Quote from: Parama on November 24, 2015, 09:04:04 AM
I bet everything I have that I sent the same artist of Parama :lol
You're wrong, I'll tell you that much. Now give me everything you have!