Author Topic: Train of Naught Debut Roulette - And the winner is...  (Read 55393 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Train of Naught Debut Roulette (Respect My Authority) - ROUND 7 LISTENING
« Reply #490 on: December 31, 2015, 09:40:47 AM »
i figure 425 sent the Death Cab for Cutie song  :P
also i get to be reminded that I still don't have an agalloch album because i am a failure

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #491 on: December 31, 2015, 11:21:23 AM »
I'll add you! I also see somebody sent one of my favourite songs.

That would be me, I guess you mean The Canyon Behind Her, right?

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #492 on: December 31, 2015, 11:51:40 AM »
You guys know each other too well..
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #493 on: December 31, 2015, 12:07:20 PM »
well 425 sent me that same death cab song in my roulette  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #494 on: December 31, 2015, 12:08:43 PM »
I'll add you! I also see somebody sent one of my favourite songs.

That would be me, I guess you mean The Canyon Behind Her, right?

Yes :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #495 on: January 01, 2016, 08:59:43 AM »
I realize that 10 rounds might've been a bit too much to fit in 2 months with the amount of participants I accepted, but I'll speed up these final rounds a bit, round 7 results will be up tomorrow! This round I did not only receive the same artist twice, but it was with the exact same song, get original dudes. (obviously got another song afterwards)

Alrighty, as I kinda want to speed up I'd like Round 8 songs within 3-4 days after results are posted, optimally 1-2 days but I realize that that's gonna be hard to achieve.

Round 8: The Root of All Evil

As mentioned in the OP, themed round, again a very general theme though: Send me your dark/evil songs. That could be anything you interpret as dark or evil. Personally, things that come to my mind are the angry/raw sounding stuff RATM and Deftones make, but also the sinister/ominous stuff some of you have been sending me, take for example Shadow's Devil Doll song. But yea, don't take these examples too seriously, I think you all know pretty well what fits the theme and what doesn't.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #496 on: January 01, 2016, 09:37:53 AM »
legit don't think i have any music that qualifies as "evil" so i'm just gonna send you something so dark it makes the color black look blindingly bright, ok

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #497 on: January 01, 2016, 11:28:13 AM »
I don't like this theme at all, because my view on "dark" songs is usually differs with everyone's else.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline 425

« Reply #498 on: January 01, 2016, 06:52:30 PM »
i figure 425 sent the Death Cab for Cutie song  :P

I don't know what you're talking about :P

Also, I just don't listen to much dark music, so that's what makes this hard for me, but I'll see what I have.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #499 on: January 01, 2016, 07:19:32 PM »
You can always send one of my submissions in your roulette ;)

I've got plenty of dark stuff so this should be easy.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #500 on: January 02, 2016, 05:46:12 AM »
Left my laptop which I think has like 9 out of 12 writeups on it at a friend's house last night, so I'll go get that soon and doublecheck everything this time around to make sure there's no scoring errors anymore. They should be up in a few hours.

As for the theme, there's tons of stuff that could be considered dark. If you check out the lyrics, atmosphere, instruments of a song you're bound to find something that fits the theme without limiting yourselves too much (hopefully).

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #501 on: January 02, 2016, 05:51:27 AM »
Sent Round 8. I don't think it gets much darker than that.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #502 on: January 02, 2016, 06:34:53 AM »
I probably won't be as snappy sending for this round as previous ones, I haven't had the time to dig for something just yet. I might be able to get around to it tomorrow, I might not.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #503 on: January 02, 2016, 06:37:45 AM »
That's fine, I don't think you have any chance of being the last to send either way, but you've been one of the first in every round so far so I'm sure you won't forget about it as soon as some of the other participants whose names I will keep anonymous :P

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Train of Naught Debut Roulette (Respect My Authority) - ROUND 7 RESULTS
« Reply #504 on: January 02, 2016, 08:18:33 AM »
Round 7 results!

splent
Beta Fleck and the Flecktones – Twelve Days of Christmas:

I’m always kinda interested in these musically experimental songs, with different keys and time signatures and stuff, and I find the idea pretty interesting, but I just can’t genuinely enjoy this as much as I would with the other roulette submissions. As a genuine song, it didn’t do too much for me. I liked some parts of it for sure, but after a while it just became one of those songs that I only listened to because I had to. Sorry, interesting concept, musically, not my cup of tea.

6/10

Bolsters
The Black Mages – The Rocking Grounds:

I should say that I never played any of the Final Fantasy games, but I did listen to the original version you sent to get a better idea of it. I love game soundtracks; this reenactment of the FF3 battle theme is pretty cool.  They sure did a great job with it, I would take The Black Mages’ version over the original any day as a replacement, but other than being a good heavy cover of the original, it doesn’t offer as much musically as the others. Highlight of the song: The main riff, it has very cool groovy guitars in it, I’m still not huge on the keyboards, which also might’ve dragged down the score below average a bit. 

7.5/10

Death Cab for Cutie – We Looked Like Giants:

At first I thought this was going to be one of those slow boring songs I was not really waiting for. Luckily that didn’t last long as this guy started singing, great voice! He sounds very similar to that guy from Owl City. Anyway, this is a very uplifting song, I dig it, though unlike many songs, I prefer the first half of the song way more than the second half. Simply because I was getting this happy, poppy vibe from it, then it slowly transitioned into this repeating melody , not bad, but I can safely say it would get a higher score if the song overall was more like the first half.

8/10

senecadawg2
Agalloch – As Embers Dress the Sky:

This for me, was a song that I had little to no appeal towards on first listen, but woah, paying attention to everything that’s going on instead of fixating on the vocals this is a beautiful song. I hate when people are too quick to judge songs because one element doesn’t appeal to them right away so I’m glad I gave it the attention that I did. Some highlights were the guitar melodies around 1:20 building up to a great instrumental section, acoustic transition into the second part of the song, and the harsh vocals near the end flowing into the last part.

8.5/10

Shadow Ninja 2.0
The Plot In You – Pillhead:

This is some pretty cool, and most of all accessible metalcore (that is what this is right?). Even though my favorite thing of this song is the clean part of chorus, I’m not at all turned off by these screams, they’re very soothing for the song and transition  exceptionally well into the chorus. Being a pretty big fan of those fairly simply structured songs with angry vocals like RATM and Deftones for instance, this is, like mentioned in the beginning, pretty a pretty accessible song for me, you sending me something I feel comfortable listening to is kinda weird, even the Devil Doll song made me very uncomfortable, though that was the main reason it was so good.

8.5/10

Sacul
Bent Knee – Being Human:

Sometimes I really wonder whether these artists that seem to return in every roulette only have one song that’s worth sending, I always see Being Human, hopefully for good reason. I do like this, not as much as you guys probably, but man this woman can sing. Also I like the very proggy sections a lot, and the violin stands out too, who woulda thought. I do like this one more than the studio version so you did good on that.

8.5/10

mikemangioy
Twelve Foot Ninja – Coming for You:

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen the video for this song before, but not heard the music of it :lol, When he shouts “Be ready I’m coming for you” the first time I was like wtf is this guy on about, sounded very odd. But the song redeems itself 1 second later anyway. I guess these guys take the term progressive very seriously, disco, tango, metal and more, all in one song. I had a good laugh watching the video, but in the end I seriously enjoyed it, too. I quite like this song, and while it’s one of the most fun songs in this round and was originally contesting for round 7 winner, it didn’t really grow on me, didn’t really get more out of this song than I did on first listen. Nonetheless, I dig this and I’ll probably return to these guys in the future.

8.5/10

Elite
Theocracy – I Am:

Great intro first of all, this is one of the things I think symphonic/melodic/power metal bands excel at, because they are usually very.. well.. powerful. I very much enjoy the way these lyrics are shaped, it’s catchy, its meaning is very clear yet poetic, and it builds up towards a very strong chorus. At one point I feel the overall sound is all over the place, a bit too much (starting at about 3:50), it’s only like 10 seconds of this 11 minute song though so I won’t be a bitch about it. Loving that long instrumental section in the second half of the song, it’s very prog very powah. All in all, I probably wouldn’t mind if they cut up to a minute off this song but other than that I don’t have much to complain about.
Sadly rarely anyone sends their song as quickly as Parama, so no Thank You Scientist profits for you, but this was a great second option.

9/10

Evermind
Amadeus Awad ft. Anneke van Giersbergen – Lonesome Clown:

It’s got power, it’s got melody, it’s got emotion, pretty much anything I want musically. I can see myself enjoying more music by this guy, because the song seems amazingly well crafted, with the awesome keyboard sections, cool chorus about how ‘death is just a feeling’. But what I very much adore is the spoken words in the end, where they put emphasis on those lyrics once more. Feels like this Amadeus guy knows exactly what he’s doing.   Once again a song that I needed some time for to ‘get’ it, but like most of your songs in here, strong enough to be enjoyable for a guy who usually is not into this kind of music.

9/10

LordCost
Rishloo – Landmines:

Funny you should send this, I saw Rishloo give away a download link of this album on Christmas, from what I’ve heard from others the music sounds very promising but I managed to hold off until I ranked and reviewed your song. Indeed has a Mars Volta vibe like you said, and I can’t help but love this kind of singing, it sounds so passionate and powerful. Musically it’s a little less Mars Volta-ish, as it has a more metal edge to it opposed to the prog-rock, but I still really dig this song and can now look forward to checking out the whole album!

9/10

Tyrias
Dredg – The Canyon Behind Her:

Wow, this song feels like one of those relaxation tapes during the first minute. I’m really liking the overall atmosphere of this song, one of those (what I like to call) mountaintop songs. Just like the Thrice song in round 3, I don’t think any individual instrument stands out as amazingly creative, the creativity this song holds is in the songwriting. Truly great song, very powerful chorus and fun little instrumental section. All of this layered with a wonderful relaxing intro and a great outro.

9,5/10

Parama
change my roulette entry:

to nothign, you deserve nothing
If anyone was wondering when the first 0/10 was gonna drop, here we have it. Sorry man, I liked your effort, but there’s simply nothing to rate :neverusethis:

0/10

Thank You Scientist – My Famed Disappearing Act:

I remember when trying out this band I was not at all appealed to the singers voice, seeing as I’m forced to give a TYS song more than 1 minute of attention that changed. Truly great musicianship in all of the band members, the vocalist fits pretty perfectly to the music so that past flaw has just become an advantage . Favorite part: “So goddamn, determined!” Chorus is great and catchy, kind of has a pop-edge to it which is a pretty fun way to mix up prog metal. Should also mention that I almost always like when vocal melodies return in the instrumentals, it’s a simple yet great way of songwriting IMO. Weren’t you in like 3rd to last place a few rounds ago?

9.5/10

Current Standings:

Elite: 53 + 9 = 62
Parama: 52 + 9.5 = 61.5
Evermind: 52 + 9 = 61
senecadawg2: 51.5 + 8.5 = 60
Tyrias: 50.5 + 9.5 = 60
425: 51.5 + 8 = 59.5
Sacul: 51 + 8.5 = 59.5
Bolsters: 50.5 + 7.5 = 58
LordCost: 49 + 9 = 58
splent: 50.5 + 6 = 56.5
mikemangioy: 48 + 8.5 = 56.5
Shadow Ninja 2.0: 45 + 8.5 = 53.5

We now (, I believe for the first time in this roulette since round 2,) have a top 3 without a tie between them. It's still not much of a difference, but we're getting there. I just realized that the "Banned during roulette" section hasn't been updated for a while so I'll go ahead and do that soon.

I should remind you that the top three move on to the final round, in this round, the advantage you've built up compared to the other finalists remains, so keep giving it a hundred % even if after round 9 it seems like you're in for sure.

Reminder: Round 8 is The Root of All Evil, dark/evil/sinister songs, you name it. If it has a dark atmosphere, somber lyrics, whatever, I'll take it! I hope to have the next round within the week, hopefully sooner.
Follow these guidelines:
send you something so dark it makes the color black look blindingly bright, ok
:corn

I think this covers about everything I've been meaning to announce to keep you updated and stuff, so drive safely, make your new year's resolutions come true and take care!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1URvDyzh8uI

Will send something in a few days. I may be late this time around, I'm on holidays and Christmas is coming so yeah.

Offline Tyrias

Nice one! Glad you liked it so much, you should check out the whole album, it's all fantastic.

Offline LordCost

Wow, another great score, but it's almost impossible to reach top 3 for me at this point :'(
Sent round 8

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
ugh this sucks can you go back to giving me 7.5's?  :lol
also Being Human is at least as good as My Famed Disappearing Act and you're objectively wrong but w/e ok

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Are you kidding me? I know that Bent Knee song won a round in your roulette and I think it even got a 9.5 or something but I don't see it, still nice song though.
My Famed Disappearing Act on the other hand, so powah.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i mean i quite love the entire TYS album and could've sent one of five or so different songs and been happy with it but i also like Being Human a lot  :P

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I sent TYS as well. Whatever, it only got a .5 more :)
A shame the dredg song scored higher as well though. That's like being ripped off twice in one round :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
I sent TYS as well. Whatever, it only got a .5 more :)
A shame the dredg song scored higher as well though. That's like being ripped off twice in one round :lol

I actually thought you were talking about the TYS song when you said that one of your faves was in this round, laughed out loud when out of all songs on here it was the only other song scoring higher than yours  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
this is why i send my entries ASAP  :lol

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
This roulette is strange. I seem to always get good points but I'm friggin' low  :lol
Sending soon
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
...and sent!
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
This roulette is strange. I seem to always get good points but I'm friggin' low  :lol
Sending soon
Yea I kinda hate myself for being so easy on the scores, makes getting a good score way less satisfying.

If I ever do another of these I'll either do the 1 point for last 2 points for 2nd to last etc.. or think real hard about how to score properly.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i was still too nice in my roulette tbh tho i stand behind both 10's and the 9.5's as well for the most part

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
I'm going to fail this round like last round.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Need 4 more to go! 425, Sacul and Evermind haven't send anything yet. Splent, in case you missed the PM, you have to re-send, I already know that song.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll try to send today. As I said, busy with holidays.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Yeah just a heads-up, I feel this trio of roulettes is very laid-back, want to keep it somewhat active during the wait (by active I mean I'd like to atleast keep them on page 1 which barely happens).

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Guess who's not last this time!
Squ

Offline 425

I'll try to send today. As I said, busy with holidays having just had my wisdom teeth cut out of my head.

FTFM
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
I'll try to send today. As I said, busy with holidays having just had my wisdom teeth cut out of my head.

FTFM
Well fuck, I just made an appointment for that yesterday, not looking forward at it at all..

:hefdaddy Elite punctuality