Author Topic: Train of Naught Debut Roulette - And the winner is...  (Read 55401 times)

Offline 425

Re: Train of Naught Debut Roulette (Respect My Authority) - THE GIFT OF 10/10
« Reply #455 on: December 22, 2015, 02:46:38 PM »
Damn, I was deciding between Into the Blue and Duel with the Devil, and for whatever reason I decided to go for the gutsy call thinking you might like it better... Cost myself a half point. But oh well, can't complain about a 9, and I'm somehow still just 1.5 off of the lead, so I must not be doing too badly. :)
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #456 on: December 22, 2015, 03:14:21 PM »
Well, I'm glad you liked it, though I would have preferred it if you had liked it more.
Also, clearly epics are not my big strength, I've never even heard of 7of the 10 songs up there.
Also, it's crazy Pink Floyd wasn't banned, I don't even check if I can send them because I always just assume they are banned.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #457 on: December 22, 2015, 03:29:13 PM »
Having sent nothing below an 8 so far, I'd be leading another roulette  :P

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #458 on: December 23, 2015, 01:18:27 AM »
Well Elite averaged an 8.8 so far  :laugh:

Just a reminder that round 7 is open (meaning both open to submission, and no theme)
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #459 on: December 23, 2015, 04:22:21 AM »
Can we send songs on Spotify? The song i want to send doesn't have a good quality version on youtube :P

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #460 on: December 23, 2015, 05:11:00 AM »
Sure! I've been Spotify geeking for the past week, just got 3 months of premium, so go ahead. I only wish more songs were on spotify because I have to alternate between spotify/youtube/mp3 probably every round (that's no biggie though, send me anything you want).
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #461 on: December 23, 2015, 05:26:54 AM »
I'm definitely making Spotify my preferred method for receiving songs on my next roulette because it's far more convenient than any of the others. It would be fantastic if I didn't have to use Youtube or receive files at all, but I know that's an unrealistic expectation.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #462 on: December 23, 2015, 05:33:13 AM »
Always a bit annoying to see multiple other songs which I considered score higher than my own. Particularly Ne Obliviscaris, which has been my go-to in epic rounds for quite some time now. Oh well, hindsight bias aside, I'm glad you enjoyed the song.

I've sent
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #463 on: December 23, 2015, 05:56:09 AM »
Yea Forget Not was stunning, probably the best out of the four 10/10's I've given so far.

I'm definitely making Spotify my preferred method for receiving songs on my next roulette because it's far more convenient than any of the others. It would be fantastic if I didn't have to use Youtube or receive files at all, but I know that's an unrealistic expectation.
The convenience of clicking twice to add the song to your personal playlist makes both Youtube and Spotify so easy to use for these IMO, though Youtube is full of shit quality videos and videos that go on for 3 minutes after the song is over, they do have a way broader range of songs and artists. So I would probably not cancel out either of these, they both have their uses.

Anyway I'm gone for the day, send whenever, I've gotten like 5/12 so far. I'll be back tomorrow probably.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #464 on: December 23, 2015, 06:02:54 AM »

Simple thing to do there is just convert the YT link to a .mp3 file, then save it in a directory that Spotify scans/imports.  That way, songs that aren't on Spotify, you can still make Spotify as the sole source of your playlist.  I was switching between iTunes and Spotify (for the songs that weren't on Spotify) for a couple of rounds before I realized I could listen to my own .mp3 files thru Spotify.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #465 on: December 23, 2015, 06:15:57 AM »
The convenience of clicking twice to add the song to your personal playlist makes both Youtube and Spotify so easy to use for these IMO, though Youtube is full of shit quality videos and videos that go on for 3 minutes after the song is over, they do have a way broader range of songs and artists. So I would probably not cancel out either of these, they both have their uses.
Unfortunately I'm aware of the fact that I'd never be able to completely abandon Youtube for roulettes. But I sure would like to. :lol

Simple thing to do there is just convert the YT link to a .mp3 file, then save it in a directory that Spotify scans/imports.  That way, songs that aren't on Spotify, you can still make Spotify as the sole source of your playlist.  I was switching between iTunes and Spotify (for the songs that weren't on Spotify) for a couple of rounds before I realized I could listen to my own .mp3 files thru Spotify.
Yeah I'm aware of its ability to do that, and I was considering loading up MP3s into it for my next one for that convenience. But, I especially like how easy it is to send/receive through it, the way you and I were for our roulettes. I definitely plan to encourage that for my v2, but of course I know it won't be possible all the time when stuff isn't on Spotify, and I also know some people can't use Spotify at all in some regions. But still, the more I can use Spotify the better as far as I'm concerned.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #466 on: December 23, 2015, 08:53:00 AM »
Spotify makes things so much easier.

As far as Floyd, if you like that instrumental stuff, check out dark side of the moon. The whole album. Now.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: December 23, 2015, 08:56:55 AM »
and I also know some people can't use Spotify at all in some regions.

Yeah, that's me.

I'll send something either today or tomorrow.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #468 on: December 23, 2015, 08:59:54 AM »
Always a bit annoying to see multiple other songs which I considered score higher than my own. Particularly Ne Obliviscaris, which has been my go-to in epic rounds for quite some time now. Oh well, hindsight bias aside, I'm glad you enjoyed the song.

I've sent
should've sent them in my roulette, i'm trying to avoid stepping on people's toes here so i probably wouldn't have sent them if they'd been sent to me in my roulette  :P

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #469 on: December 23, 2015, 11:42:02 AM »
Alright, I think I've got a fantastic song to send - which also marks it as the first time I'm sending this artist in roulettes because whenever I tried to do that before he was banned.

I'll probably get a 7 or less though, because that's just how these things work.

Off to send it.

Edit: aaand sent.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 11:59:15 AM by Evermind »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #470 on: December 23, 2015, 01:11:08 PM »
Not to derail the thread into a spotify discussion, but when it wasn't 'legal' in Canada, I got myself an id and ability to log in through a IP spoofer - I used justfreevpn.  The great thing about that was, once you logged in to Spotify (while the VPN was active), you could disconnect from the VPN (because the speed was horrible), but the Spotify app was too dumb to know what you weren't in an 'authorized' country anymore.  It was like getting into the bar with fake id, but no one except the bouncer ever checked your id.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #471 on: December 23, 2015, 09:38:40 PM »
Ok I'm sending my song now. It's gonna be a risk but I'm feeling festive.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #472 on: December 24, 2015, 03:37:57 AM »
SSENT
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #473 on: December 24, 2015, 09:10:00 AM »
Will send in a few hours.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: December 25, 2015, 10:29:30 AM »
I'd like to say I got drunk or something but I just simply forgot  :P

Sent.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: December 25, 2015, 10:40:23 AM »
I'd like to say I got drunk or something but I just simply forgot  :P

Sent.

See, I have sent first and then I got drunk.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #477 on: December 25, 2015, 11:01:33 AM »
The worst is when you get drunk, get over-confident with a certain song and actually send it. That's how I ended up sending World On Fire to Parama (true story)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #478 on: December 25, 2015, 11:05:23 AM »
i thought you sent it bcuz myles kennedy

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #479 on: December 25, 2015, 11:36:52 AM »
Well, I am the biggest Myles fan, and I noticed the lack of Myles on your list, so I was already determined to send Slash or Alter Bridge, but WOF has 17 songs on it, and at least 10 of them have a better vocal performance (1 of the other 6 songs is the instrumental 'Safari Inn').

I still obviously think higher of World on Fire than you, but I doubt I would ever send that song again when I might aswell send Beneath the Savage Sun/The Unholy/Battleground or whatever, those are the best three songs as far as Myles goes IMO.

P.S. I've gotten 10/12 submissions already, pretty quick. I don't expect to get the songs during X-mas, though I'll hereby give 425 and Elite a heads-up that they haven't sent me a song for this round yet.

Offline 425

« Reply #480 on: December 26, 2015, 08:01:34 PM »
The presence of Elite in this roulette makes me feel pretty comfortable delaying a couple of days :lol

Just sent.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #481 on: December 27, 2015, 04:24:01 AM »
For you, comfortable. I want my damn song Elite!

On a side note, I've just created a last.fm account yesterday because I thought it would be more representative of my music library in the future if I'm hosting another roulette or something. The problem though, the scrobbles never update, it still says I haven't listened to any music yet. Whazzap?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #482 on: December 27, 2015, 05:58:42 AM »
For you, comfortable. I want my damn song Elite!

On a side note, I've just created a last.fm account yesterday because I thought it would be more representative of my music library in the future if I'm hosting another roulette or something. The problem though, the scrobbles never update, it still says I haven't listened to any music yet. Whazzap?
If you are talking about scrobbling Spotify plays, you need to go into the Spotify preferences and put in your Last.fm username/password. Or are you unable to scrobble anything at all?

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #483 on: December 27, 2015, 06:09:32 AM »
Wasn't able to scrobble anything at all, but atleast I connected last.fm to Spotify so maybe it works through Spotify now, thanks

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #484 on: December 27, 2015, 06:14:05 AM »
Wasn't able to scrobble anything at all, but atleast I connected last.fm to Spotify so maybe it works through Spotify now, thanks
If you've downloaded the scrobbler and logged into that, you should be able to scrobble from any supported media player.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #485 on: December 27, 2015, 06:32:14 AM »
If you've downloaded the scrobbler and logged into that, you should be able to scrobble from any supported media player.
Awesome, I got it to work finally!

So concerning the roulette, I'll get the results for round 7 about 3 days after I get Elite's song, I'll give him a PM somewhere today. Don't expect to get results on NYE tho  :laugh:

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #486 on: December 27, 2015, 07:11:28 AM »
Awesome, I got it to work finally!
Cool. I'm Bolsters on there too if you want to add me. ;)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #487 on: December 29, 2015, 04:01:21 PM »
sand
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #488 on: December 31, 2015, 05:46:01 AM »
Cool cool cool.

I am now on last.fm (special thanks to Mr. Bolsters), and decided to mix up your roulette submissions with some randomly selected songs that kind of fit the style of songs I received, so it's not a complete give-away. There's one song I couldn't figure out how to scrobble so that one remains secret. That one aside, all of your songs are hidden in my scrobbles from the last two days.

I can say it's a pretty damn good round, I'm already having a hard time ranking the songs based on first impressions because most of it is just very good. Not sure if there's any 10/10 material but we'll see, I'm going to let the roulette rest for the day as I'm gonna be preparing party-related stuff, but I think results will be up by Sunday.

EDIT: Of course, I wish you all a great night and a happy new year!  :metal

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Train of Naught Debut Roulette (Respect My Authority) - ROUND 7 LISTENING
« Reply #489 on: December 31, 2015, 09:26:50 AM »
I'll add you! I also see somebody sent one of my favourite songs.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey