Author Topic: Dream Theater entered the studio in February v. No News is Good News  (Read 490358 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Dream Theater in the Studio February
« Reply #1715 on: May 18, 2015, 08:32:16 PM »
Was just watching that video. Very nice guitar for sure. Was kinda wishing halfway through that he played with a less hot sound. All those nuances he talks about get buried once he goes into distortion.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1716 on: May 18, 2015, 08:48:09 PM »

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1717 on: May 19, 2015, 03:23:38 AM »
No, the beard is offputting to me. Alsol, I keep waiting for him to go into 'There, you see? I just played 23.000 notes in three seconds. Now YOU do it'.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1718 on: May 19, 2015, 07:52:19 AM »
New album will have an epic titled "My observational point of view" lyrics by Labrie.
It will last around 38 minutes.
One part will be titled "Pull my chicken"

Choke My Finger ( Pull Me Under pt. 2 )

Offline theaterdream

« Reply #1719 on: May 21, 2015, 09:26:40 AM »
I have to admit I kind of like not getting lots of updates on an albums progress, but little bits of information every once and a while would be cool. I'm starting to wonder what surprises the guys might have in store for us. Does anyone think they might be cooking up a double album? Writing that much music would I'm sure take up a lot more time which could explain why we aren't hearing much or maybe it is as simple as them wanting to wait until its near complete.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1720 on: May 21, 2015, 10:36:20 AM »
I wonder if they will do something special for their 30th anniversary. Not expecting a new dvd/show this year, but given their site has a 30th anniversary logo and the fb page tying with the forum, I am expecting them to at least celebrate it to a certain extent aside from a regular new album. Rarities? Documentary? Rerecorded version (s) of some old stuff? A song/songs revisiting old material/concept? I like all that stuff, so I hope so  ;D

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #1721 on: May 21, 2015, 10:36:37 AM »
Well, if they started on February and had all the pauses they seemed to have (MM for example had time to plow snow, do a minitour in Europe and play golf), I wouldn't expect it done in May, even if it's a one-disc album (probably is).

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1722 on: May 21, 2015, 11:01:28 AM »
I wonder if they will do something special for their 30th anniversary. Not expecting a new dvd/show this year, but given their site has a 30th anniversary logo and the fb page tying with the forum, I am expecting them to at least celebrate it to a certain extent aside from a regular new album. Rarities? Documentary? Rerecorded version (s) of some old stuff? A song/songs revisiting old material/concept? I like all that stuff, so I hope so  ;D

Bolded what I'm hoping for. I'd love for them to rerecord the Majesty demos in the studio with James. 30th Anniversary Majesty EP. Put it as a second/bonus disc for the new album. And then a third disc for a doc of the making of both the new album and EP.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1723 on: May 21, 2015, 12:47:28 PM »

Bolded what I'm hoping for. I'd love for them to rerecord the Majesty demos in the studio with James. 30th Anniversary Majesty EP. Put it as a second/bonus disc for the new album. And then a third disc for a doc of the making of both the new album and EP.

I'm not sure I'm prepared to discuss the nuances of what I'm about to say (the "how's" and "why's") but first reaction is that I don't want that if Portnoy is not involved. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1724 on: May 21, 2015, 01:13:06 PM »
I don't think I will ever understand this desire of some people for DT to rerecord stuff. I mean, what should even be rerecorded? Frankly, the only stuff maybe worth rerecording is WDADU and DT13.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1725 on: May 21, 2015, 01:22:38 PM »
I don't think I will ever understand this desire of some people for DT to rerecord stuff. I mean, what should even be rerecorded? Frankly, the only stuff maybe worth rerecording is WDADU and DT13.

Plus, what's on the Majesty demo is not good. What would be the point?

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1726 on: May 21, 2015, 01:24:33 PM »

I'm not sure I'm prepared to discuss the nuances of what I'm about to say (the "how's" and "why's") but first reaction is that I don't want that if Portnoy is not involved.

Like I always say to these opinions, the originals are always there for you to enjoy and it does not take away from the new material that is coming. And also, regardless of the quality of the rerecorded stuff, there are often some additional benefits. Examples of this would be Iced Earth revisiting Dante's Inferno for an epic comeback of this fan-favourite at their setlists, Sonata Arctica rerecording Ecliptica to revitalise live renditions and even make a whole tour around it and Blind Guardian remixing all their old stuff led them to the concept and tone of their latest album (which the people on this forum clearly did not like, heh).

Also, I honestly do not see why pro-recorded LALP/BtFW of pre-Mangini material are okay and them doing a retake in the studio with a new line-up would be a problem. Live or not, good music is good music. And the old good music is still there (alltough in this case I never listen to those old demo's). And I think Labrie has much to add to those old demo's.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1727 on: May 21, 2015, 01:29:46 PM »
prediction!  they're holding off on releasing the album until next year so it comes out for their 31st anniversary, and it'll be titled 3113, because What Would Rush Do  :biggrin:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1728 on: May 21, 2015, 01:32:13 PM »
I don't know if a straight up re-record would work.    But Haken certainly proved beyond the shadow of a doubt that it can be a very cool idea to take those old ideas and bring them into the studio as if they were just that....unfinished ideas.   Then completely base a whole new writing session around them.   Have all new members contribute their "tweaks" and write entirely new material based on the old ideas. 

A completely re-written A Vision would be totally badass.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1729 on: May 21, 2015, 01:33:04 PM »
prediction!  they're holding off on releasing the album until next year so it comes out for their 31st anniversary, and it'll be titled 3113, because What Would Rush Do  :biggrin:

That's clever, but...well, actually, it's not.  I was just trying to be generous.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline emtee

« Reply #1730 on: May 21, 2015, 01:37:28 PM »
The "why" of re-recording WDaDU for me is easy. Sonic quality. Love the album to death but hate the sound. I would LOVE to get
a modern day studio version of WDaDU with JLB but I'm 100% certain it will never happen.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1731 on: May 21, 2015, 01:46:09 PM »
I don't know. Some stuff on WDADU really only works with Charlie. I honestly don't think you could get anything much better than what WDADRU already is anyway.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1732 on: May 21, 2015, 01:48:35 PM »

I understand and somewhat agree. I had this idea back when he was in the band, and the desire has not gone away just because he left.

Well, the Majesty demo isn't really available to the masses. You really have to be searching for it. Most DT fans that don't come to sites like this may not even know what the Majesty Demo is, and it would be a good way of teaching fans about the history of the band and bring new life to the songs.

Plus, what's on the Majesty demo is not good. What would be the point?

B.Lee

I disagree with your opinion. I really enjoy most of the demos, especially Another Won & A Vision. I would love to hear LaBrie on these. And I'll go out on a limb and say I'm not the only one.

The "why" of re-recording WDaDU for me is easy. Sonic quality. Love the album to death but hate the sound. I would LOVE to get
a modern day studio version of WDaDU with JLB but I'm 100% certain it will never happen.

Probably not, but that's because they kind of already did that with the Reunite show. But they haven't touched four out of six of the Majesty songs in 28 years. It would be really fun to hear them dusted off.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline paulstfu

« Reply #1733 on: May 21, 2015, 02:17:25 PM »

You read my mind. Amazing song, needs to return from the afterlife.  :metal
Standing on the Wetbacks of angels (?)

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1734 on: May 21, 2015, 03:01:54 PM »

needs to return from the afterlife

Speaking of which, I'd like to see that song rerecorded :)
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1735 on: May 21, 2015, 03:08:21 PM »

You read my mind. Amazing song, needs to return from the afterlife.  :metal

+1  :metal
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1736 on: May 21, 2015, 04:28:50 PM »

needs to return from the afterlife

Speaking of which, I'd like to see that song rerecorded :)

It's perfectly fine on Score and WDARDU.  I don't understand the want for the re-record of WDADU.  They did the entire album live and it's a solid rendition of it, plus most of the other tracks are on other live releases.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1737 on: May 21, 2015, 04:31:18 PM »
I agree.  There was a time when a re-record of WDADU would have been a good thing.  But that has long since passed now that we have WDADRU and lots of other live versions of most of the songs.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #1738 on: May 21, 2015, 04:46:10 PM »
Plus, in the commentary of WDADRU, the band explicitly states that they had no interest in going into the studio to re-record the album, but a live rendition had an appeal.  It takes a lot time, energy and MONEY to reserve the studio, work out the pre-production sounds and skillfully record the session. For that amount of work, I can understand why the band would only want to concentrate on new material in a studio setting.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1739 on: May 21, 2015, 04:55:37 PM »
I agree.  There was a time when a re-record of WDADU would have been a good thing.  But that has long since passed now that we have WDADRU and lots of other live versions of most of the songs.

We have a lot of great, easy-to-find, live versions of Afterlife, Only A Matter of Time, and The Killing Hand and the rest are on the official bootleg.  If Dream Theater hadn't done the special official bootleg version, and all we had were crappy bootlegs, then MAYBE I can see still wanting these re-recorded in-studio, but the recording of that show was done properly and sounds phenomenal and that should be the end of it.

The only old stuff I'd be interested in at this point, especially considering how awesome Another Won was live, would be the stuff that has yet to be "modernized", but as for When Dream and Day Unite... stick a fork in it.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1740 on: May 21, 2015, 05:13:40 PM »
Four straight posts trying to crush my dreams xD I'm smart enough to know that it isn't viable, but that doesn't mean I don't want it. Oh well, maybe in 4 years.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1741 on: May 21, 2015, 05:18:18 PM »
Once MP is back in the band and they recorded Metropolis Pt. III.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #1742 on: May 21, 2015, 06:05:00 PM »
Four straight posts trying to crush my dreams xD I'm smart enough to know that it isn't viable, but that doesn't mean I don't want it. Oh well, maybe in 4 years.
Have you listened to WDADR?  It's good.  Should satisfy any desire for a remake.  At least IMHO.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1743 on: May 21, 2015, 06:24:26 PM »

Have you listened to WDADR?  It's good.  Should satisfy any desire for a remake.  At least IMHO.

I think it's great :) It's just a different kind of great, because it's live. Meh, I feel like I'm digging my hole even deeper by replying :D

In other news, anyone see JP's latest Facebook post? That Amethyst Quilt Top is absolutely beautiful.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1744 on: May 21, 2015, 06:37:17 PM »
Once MP is back in the band and they recorded Metropolis Pt. III.

Ain't gonna happen...Prophets of War Pt. II is in the plans though. True story!

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #1745 on: May 21, 2015, 07:44:16 PM »
I agree that Another Won sounded great on Score (and the other live shows where it was performed).  I've always felt that it had all the trademark components of a DT song, and with the current lineup, these songs would be greatly served from contemporary guitar rig, a modest vocal interpretation, and proper mix in a live setting.  More Majesty songs for the 30th anniversary tour, please.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1746 on: May 21, 2015, 08:07:25 PM »

I think it's great :) It's just a different kind of great, because it's live. Meh, I feel like I'm digging my hole even deeper by replying :D

In other news, anyone see JP's latest Facebook post? That Amethyst Quilt Top is absolutely beautiful.

If he's actually using that baritone on tour like it says in that FB post, that probably means they're planning on playing Blind Faith, These Walls, Panic Attack, or Wither! :o Unless there's a new single that uses it and that's what's being played.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1747 on: May 21, 2015, 08:55:57 PM »

If he's actually using that baritone on tour like it says in that FB post, that probably means they're planning on playing Blind Faith, These Walls, Panic Attack, or Wither! :o Unless there's a new single that uses it and that's what's being played.

Panic Attack please (and keep playing it for the next U.S. tour).
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1748 on: May 21, 2015, 09:10:02 PM »
Update: Mike Mangini is participating in a golf game.
That sounds exciting as hell.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1749 on: May 22, 2015, 02:19:07 AM »
Plus, in the commentary of WDADRU, the band explicitly states that they had no interest in going into the studio to re-record the album, but a live rendition had an appeal.  It takes a lot time, energy and MONEY to reserve the studio, work out the pre-production sounds and skillfully record the session. For that amount of work, I can understand why the band would only want to concentrate on new material in a studio setting.

If people can record albums in their bedrooms these days - you'd think DT would have their own studio by now.