Author Topic: Dream Theater entered the studio in February v. No News is Good News  (Read 476804 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Dream Theater in the Studio February
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2015, 07:10:53 AM »
Sweet. I hope this one is super heavy. I'm still waiting for Train of Thought pt. 2.
I would like that.  I think it's time for this type of album.
I don't.  They have had plenty of heavy over the last several albums.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2015, 08:25:33 AM »
Sweet. I hope this one is super heavy. I'm still waiting for Train of Thought pt. 2.
I would like that.  I think it's time for this type of album.
I don't.  They have had plenty of heavy over the last several albums.

I agree with Hef.

DT is at their best when mixing the heavy with the melodic.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline drod1985

« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2015, 08:46:37 AM »
I agree, Dream Theater thrives at the intersection of heavy and melodic. Since ADTOE they've been moving more towards that sweet spot.

I would however like to hear at least one song that’s a bit more dirty prog rock. Distorted organ from JR, and medium-gain riffage from JP. There’s some riff Jordan played in the Systematic Chaos documentary that gave me that vibe.

DT:
- 1 album on the arse end the 80s
- 4 albums in the 90s
- 5 albums in the 00s
- 3 at least this decade. With the potential for 4 or 5 if they continue the way they are.

DT are consistent, you gotta give 'em that. Easy to take for granted.

I'm a Van Halen fan, and they've put out 1 album in the last 16 years. Dream Theater makes me feel loved again.  :biggrin:

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2015, 10:36:20 AM »
Wow... hard to believe time has passed this fast!

Put me on the cruise ship to better production; the musicianship is always incredible, no worries there.  You can also sell me a ticket for the "realizing how much they spoil us" flight; seriously, these guys are dynamos!  I'm so very happy that my favorite group of musicians is still making music... Spoiled We Are!  Quality and Quantity!

I'd like to hear some FII-style.  No matter how strong the new songs have been over the past 17-years, I always find myself drawn back to FII.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Mladen

« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2015, 10:43:41 AM »
As far as production is concerned, I thought DT12 was pretty damn awesome.  :metal

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2015, 11:01:48 AM »
FII-style album could be great but maybe a little more metal and experimental style.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2015, 11:19:46 AM »
I would like a more organic sound to the next album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2015, 11:35:38 AM »
ADTOE had me excited, but DT12 popped that bubble instantly. This will be one of those releases I'm not looking forward to, and won't pay any attention to (in terms of news or released songs), but I will probably give it a spin or two once it comes out. It's still DT, a band that released albums like Awake, Scenes and Six Degrees.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2015, 12:50:36 PM »
That's kinda where I'm at. I will definitely give it a listen, but it's not "edge of the seat" material, like the new SW album.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2015, 02:21:12 PM »
As far as production is concerned, I thought DT12 was pretty damn awesome.  :metal

Don't get me wrong; I don't think DT12 was terrible production wise, I quite enjoy it.  But when compared to Awake or FII's production, it does fall somewhat short imo.

Personally, I'm always edge-of-my-seat for DT (as I am with Scale the Summit and AAL); if it excites the band, it excites me.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2015, 02:27:25 PM »
DT12 was middle of the pack for me, but I am still very excited for the new album, as always.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline adamack

« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2015, 04:06:46 PM »

This! Me too man. I never listen to ADTOE or DT12, so I really want something more on the heavy side. I wasn't interested at all in see the DT 12 tour, but a heavy new CD will chage that on the next tour.

I will never understand why everyone thinks that ADToE wasn't heavy.

What about this? https://youtu.be/S1fNCc_whtU?t=4m45s

And this? https://youtu.be/oasnbzEMV08?t=1m55s

And this? https://youtu.be/22O-8TX015c?t=4m27s

And this? https://youtu.be/lH-I3x5GocU?t=1m59s

And this? https://youtu.be/-i1fNeDEnmU?t=1m48s

And to a lesser extent, even this? https://youtu.be/kFvwSiJ5t40?t=3m42s

Is it correct to assume that people don't think ADToE is as heavy because there are not really any heavy/harsh vocals (such as in Constant Motion, TDEN, The Test That Stumped Them All, etc.)?

Regardless, there are plenty of hard moments on ADToE in every song except for the ballads (BtS, TitL, FFH).

Anyway though, SO EXCITED TO HEAR ABOUT DT13!!! BEST NEWS OF THE YEAR SO FAR!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2015, 06:28:12 PM »
To me, there's one heck of a difference between 'hard' and 'heavy'. I feel that DT makes mostly 'hard' music, with real 'heaviness' being more rare.

Offline adamack

« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2015, 06:51:28 PM »
To me, there's one heck of a difference between 'hard' and 'heavy'. I feel that DT makes mostly 'hard' music, with real 'heaviness' being more rare.

Good point, I think I know just what you mean, and it's helping me to further understand what people mean when they say ADToE is not heavy.

The heavy stuff would be more like The Glass Prison and The Dark Eternal Night, whereas the hard stuff would be more like The Root Of All Evil or even Behind The Veil. Would you agree with that comparison? Just want to see if we are on the same page.

By those standards, I do agree that ADToE is less heavy than it is hard. I guess I just feel like a lot of people pass it off as being neither hard nor heavy, and just being mellow or soft. I really think the album fits into the "hard" category though, as there are a lot of hard moments, especially in the guitar riff sections.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2015, 06:52:40 PM »
This is exciting news. Let the ride officially begin! The years that DT release albums are so exciting. I love the days when album info is released -- song titles, artwork, song clips, interviews. I look forward to that stuff so much. And i love discussing it here and seeing everyone else' take. I also happened to love DT12 very much, so I'm extremely excited about what the next album could bring.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2015, 08:09:28 PM »
The heavy stuff would be more like The Glass Prison and The Dark Eternal Night, whereas the hard stuff would be more like The Root Of All Evil or even Behind The Veil. Would you agree with that comparison? Just want to see if we are on the same page.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I see it.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2015, 09:44:12 PM »
A cool idea would be if they rummaged the cutting floor a bit, and maybe flesh out ideas that were canned during writing of other albums. That way they could have a cool mix of "modern DT takes on old, but unheard, DT material".

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2015, 09:45:00 PM »
<double post>

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2015, 09:46:48 PM »
I need more prog.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2015, 10:25:43 PM »
DT12 was the first album from DT i received on it's release date (I got really into the band just after ADToE was released) so naturally I was hyped all 2013 for it and loved it instantly. I still love every song besides AFtR, but it doesn't feel as unique to me as, say, the I&W-SDOIT era of albums did. It was completely different every time.I'm not saying their last 2 albums were bad because they've both got awesome tracks on them. And I even lean more towards the heavy side of progressive metal than the prog side so I've no problem with the heaviness. I'd love another album of the ADToE/DT12 format, but I'd love a fresher concept with new experimentation even more.

All that being said, I'm excited to be in a year where a new Dream Theater album is being released! That means another isn't too far away after that! Let the teasers begin!

Offline orphaeusest

« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2015, 11:40:44 PM »
This a great news, even if we had been waiting for it since the end the Along for the Ride world tour. What can I say? I don't how it will be. I only know that it will be different from all the other albums. Heavy like Train of Thought? Something "oldish" but also new like A Dramatic Turn of Events? Something more classic? I don't know. I only hope for emotions and feelings. That's all I wish!

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2015, 04:26:21 AM »
I agree with those who say they hope for better production and more JR. DT12 was awesome, but JR is capable of much more than he showed on that album. But considering how high he was in the mix on BTFW and how great MM's drum sound on that release was, I am hopeful. :2metal:

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2015, 09:22:52 AM »

This sums up my thoughts, as well.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2015, 09:32:00 AM »
No more Hugh Syme please and also I don't want anymore over the top vocal effects like every song on DT12.

I'm not tooexcited as DT12 was a huge let down for me, hell I havent listened to the album for way over 9 months now

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2015, 09:34:03 AM »
I would also like JLB to not force anymore of those high vocals. That stuff on DT12 all sounds so incredibly unnatural. I would be fine if he just kept to lower melodies for the most part.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2015, 09:36:15 AM »
I would also like JLB to not force anymore of those high vocals. That stuff on DT12 all sounds so incredibly unnatural. I would be fine if he just kept to lower melodies for the most part.

Aside from the obvious section of Illumination Theory, I don't think he pushed the vocal range any higher than his usual comfortable range, unless there's a section I'm forgetting, so I'm ok with that.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2015, 03:13:28 PM »
Hope I can put this into the right words.  I am hoping for something more emotionally dark.  Lyrically, the last few albums have been about the answers to the problems in life.  I would appreciate a return to songs that lyrically (and musically) relay the pain of being IN the problem. 
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2015, 03:56:21 PM »
Hope I can put this into the right words.  I am hoping for something more emotionally dark.  Lyrically, the last few albums have been about the answers to the problems in life.  I would appreciate a return to songs that lyrically (and musically) relay the pain of being IN the problem.

As long as it's not vampires and werewolves I'm down for that.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online The Letter M

« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2015, 04:30:25 PM »
How about more medical madness lyrics from JP? Stuff like Voices, SDOIT, Panic Attack...things that affect real people and have real consequences, perhaps more psychological lyrics.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Sourcegamer101

« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2015, 05:44:14 PM »
I'm torn, I hope they go back to heavy roots with this one, I loved train of thought, but I also love the mellow stuff like vacant, far from heaven, this is the life, wait for sleep, etc

Offline marlencrabapple

« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2015, 05:56:19 PM »
8 + 5 = 13... OC2VARIUM

/s

I just hope for a focus on strong melodies - it worked for them last time around! I don't care if it's a concept album or not, I just want some kickass prog and I know that if anyone's gonna deliver, it'll be DT.
Oc2varium Part 2: Scenes From A Memory

Online The Letter M

« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2015, 05:57:37 PM »
8 + 5 = 13... OC2VARIUM

/s

I just hope for a focus on strong melodies - it worked for them last time around! I don't care if it's a concept album or not, I just want some kickass prog and I know that if anyone's gonna deliver, it'll be DT.

Holy crap, that has 13 syllables!!!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2015, 06:52:43 PM »
8 + 5 = 13... OC2VARIUM

/s

Holy crap, that has 13 syllables!!!

-Marc.

The nuggetz never end.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2015, 07:49:54 PM »
The first update we get will be the projected coffee budget 

I would love to see a double recording like SDOIT

I like DT12, but nothing special
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline 425

« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2015, 09:25:33 PM »

This, definitely. If they did this it would go a long way in helping me like it better, because that was a big part of what hurt DT12 for me.

I don't want anymore over the top vocal effects like every song on DT12.

I agree with this to an extent as well.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time