Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 908585 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
I listened to it once. Pretty cool.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Nice for a change but not at the level of the original IMHO - one of my favourite songs that one.  Awesome lyrics - and I normally take little notice of lyrics.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I always felt Fake Healer was just a tad slow.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Sounded good

A remake of Badlands would have been cool to hear

Offline ozzy554

Sounded good

A remake of Badlands would have been cool to hear

They've already re-recorded that one
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Here you are Jay - it was one of the first things they did when Howe came back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0h9m6eMC_M
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks! I forgot they did that one

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

NOW BRING US THAT TOP 40!!!!  :getoffmylawn:

Will give it a final listen today and hopefully ready to roll by the weekend after rendering and (super slow) uploading.   Thanks (and to Hath) for your list of discoveries - it seems everyone liked/discovered something different , which backs up the selections even though that creates a few headaches for some :lol  And welcome back  :-*

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm going to have to find time to relisten to the 2016 podcast. Those are a lot of high scores there, Hath.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Off topic, listening to the new Firewind again, and this is a great release.  Easily one of the best albums, if not their best.  Will make it high on a top 2017 list I think.  Interesting that Dennis Ward wrote the whole thing with Gus.  I didn't see that combo coming.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm going to have to check it out then. I bought their last album, don't even remember the name, and it was easily the worst album I bought that year.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
So I'm listening to the new Firewind on Spotify tonight. I'm not sure what to make of it. I liked the Premonition but Few Against Many was the worst album I bought that release year.
This is music I should like, but there's just nothing special about it. Some great playing, to be sure.
What am I missing?

I thought you had already checked it out Tim.

I liked it..........definitely their best anyway , which in itself doesn't mean much I suppose as I don't rate a lot of their other stuff.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :lol

I just spent 5 minutes looking for the post you quoted! :facepalm:

I'll give it a second listen then. See, I didn't even remember the first one!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Been enjoying Lancer's Mastery. Kind of a more thrashy Hammerfall, and damn, the singer sounds just like Cans.

Is it me, or has it been a slow year so far?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm listening to the Firewind now. I'm having trouble latching onto the singer. The guitarist is amazing though.

I wish Place Vendome and Firewind could trade singers!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 05:53:45 PM by TAC »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
It does seem like a slow year so far in regards to new releases. Hopefully it picks up for some late spring/summer releases

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Quiet?...............never  :-\

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I see Striker has a new album already.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah........haven't got that one yet but they rarely release anything less than good.  Just a matter of how good.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I barely got through the first three songs and was highly unimpressed. The track you played on the podcast was 10 times better.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Hmm okay........they generally produce solid albums with 2-3 very strong songs so hopefully they occur later in the album

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I liked what I heard from Striker as well. Cool old school sound

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
I'm going to have to find time to relisten to the 2016 podcast. Those are a lot of high scores there, Hath.

there were a lot of songs in the podcast  :lol

and when you're getting the best songs from albums in genres I like, you'll inevitably get a lot of high scores.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
The new show is rendering into one big mp3 as I type.  A little adjustment here and there and we'll be right to upload.

As with the two 1988 ones it's quite possible that you may like more songs in the "best of the rest" than the final one -  not only because it's twice the size but because we're rating whole albums and that doesn't necessarily mean that the best songs on the also rans are inferior - in many cases they are better.   In the bottom half of the Top 40 (or 43 as it turned out) the only real difference between these albums and those that missed out is a lack of dud songs (ie consistency) .    The really strong albums start around the mid-high 20's in the countdown - those albums I consider chock full of good songs with little to no filler.

I'm pretty sure you'll all get something out of it in any case.

Should have a link up within 24-48 hrs depending on my success at uploading through a prehistoric internet connection.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Just how prehistoric an internet connection are we talking?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Just how prehistoric an internet connection are we talking?
He lives in Australia. So I'm guessing the Aboriginal Australians installed it about 40,000 years ago when they migrated here, give or take.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I'm aware he's a fellow Aussie, so that part is assumed. But I figure it must be bad even by our standards, like maybe his internet relies on carrier kangaroo or something. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
ADSL 2+ .................on a good day/time of day  6-8 Mbps down and 0.6-0.8 Mbps up.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
I'm aware he's a fellow Aussie, so that part is assumed.
I knew you hadn't forgotten, just stated it for effect. :lol

I was always under the impression that the Melbourne area was our best in regards to internet quality, though.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Totally depends where you are.  5 mins drive away they have NBN or cable at > 10 times the speed .   If it's ADSL then speed varies a lot according to how far you are from the nearest phone exchange.

I think I may have enough data on my mobile plan which runs 4GX at ten times my hard connection.  Will use that if need be.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
6-8Mbps down seems pretty bad even for ADSL2, though. Though I suppose you've probably got a lot of congestion where you are.

I get about 9-10Mbps up on my phone, definitely a better way to go if you've got the data.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Damn this thread moves fast... with four Aussie's here, not surprise there's a lot to wake up to:

@ Kade re: Firewind.  100% agree.  So far, one of the best albums of the year for me.

@ Tim re: slow year.  100% agree.  Only have 10 (11 now... I seem to have missed any news on Striker) albums that I've checked out.  Mind you, I haven't dug in to my usual sources for new material yet.  Re: Lancer... saw you listening to them, and had a go at them.  Pretty good as I recall.

@ Brent re: ADSL.  Jebuz... I think I had dial-up modems faster than that!  You and Bend should get out and push.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion