Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 896915 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Almanac did nothing for me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
I think we might see Death Angel
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...

:tup :metal

I got into Death Angel about 10 years ago. Blown away. GREAT band. I've seen them a bunch now, and bought all the records. So much energy, and so underrated.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I'd be surprised.

I played it and enjoyed it musically, but I was so sick of the singer halfway through that I had to stop listening.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

The Astonishing better be there!  :biggrin:

The Astonishing better be there!  :biggrin:

Maybe top 40,000

If it were up to me, it still might not make that list. 

I'm changing my mind. I haven't missed you at all  :lol
I love it. So fuck off  :biggrin:

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
if he rated The Astonishing like he normally rates albums, there's just no way it would make it
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Some predictions for B&B's Top 40?

Guaranteed:
Almanac
Fates Warning
Herman Frank

Better be there:
Cloudscape
Poverty's No Crime
Enbound
Monument
Pain
Rage
Burning Point
Mystic Prophecy
Iron Mask

Definitely/Maybe/For Sure/Possibly
Thunderstone
Withem
Eternity's End
Hemina
Utopia
Now Or Never
Myrath
Alter Bridge
Nordic Union

Might be, but shouldn't be:
Serenity
Section A
Hell in the Club
Evil Masquerade
Headspace
Redemption

I'll lose all hope if it's there:
Dream Theater
Eden's Curse
Meat Loaf
Circus Maximus

Chad is going to be disappointed on many counts  :lol     I think I mentioned that a large slab of the second show will be obscure and I wasn't joking.   From that list (one of which "shouldn't be") you got eight.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The Astonishing would easily be my least fav and biggest disappointment of 2016.

Also, fuck yeah on the Omnium Gatherum.  That song in particular is just brilliant.

Looking at Chad's list for me personally the Rage and the Cloudscape did absolutely nothing for me.

Brent wouldn't put in Nordic Union either.  Don't even think he's an Alter Bridge fan also.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Pretty much every Alter Bridge album has 2 or 3 songs I really like.    Myles grates on me after a bit too.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Pretty much every Alter Bridge album has 2 or 3 songs I really like.    Myles grates on me after a bit too.

I have every Alter Bridge album except the last one. Guitar wise and vocal wise, they are really just a half step on the lower end from being out of my range.

Looking at Chad's list for me personally the Rage and the Cloudscape did absolutely nothing for me.

I sampled the Rage and it didn't really do it. I bought a Cloudscape CD a few years ago, and I literally could tell you nothing about it.

I thought the Innerwish would've made the Top 40. That is a solid album all the way through.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Innerwish really should've made it - in the end I decided to stick with a more rigid song based system for most albums (which cost them)  vs a gut feel ranking.   As I said in the podcast the last few songs (which were good but not of the same quality IMO) cost it.

In the end there's about 1% difference between missing out on the Top 40 (ish) and being at number 30 or so.   So in the end it's more about presenting a (bloody big) block of the best stuff from 2016  for you all to sift through rather than being too caught up in the rankings which , in many cases (due to time constraints) only involved one or two listens and may have changed if I had a chance to really live with them.  As you can imagine with the volume of music I am covering I really don't get time to get dozens of plays on many outside of my absolute top few favourites.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Alter Bridge I can see not appealing to some of you guys, but their album is top 5 of the year for me.

Rage are nothing really without Smolski.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah, I was wondering how much deliberation you were able to make.

I know of one album that didn't get enough consideration! ;)

I was a big fan of the Innerwish, Lords Of Black, and the Sinbreed. Gonna have to relisten to the podcast with the tracklist.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Purchased my first 2017 album today. Witherfall's Nocturnes And Requiems.

Oh, and I have the Place Vendome on preorder.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I've never heard an Alter Bridge album, but the few songs I've heard sounded good.  They have a modern sound for sure, but also have a bit of a classic rock sound to them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I've never heard an Alter Bridge album, but the few songs I've heard sounded good.  They have a modern sound for sure, but also have a bit of a classic rock sound to them.

They have that modern almost alternate sound, but Myles has a lot to do with that.  He's not really a metal vocalist.  But a lot of their stuff is some of the heaviest shit out there.  Great unique mix of styles.  Some of their songs would appeal to you guys but some would certainly be hit or miss.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Just started listening..............yes it's the 24th here.   The word on this has been pretty good despite some pretty average samples - fingers crossed.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni

They have that modern almost alternate sound, but Myles has a lot to do with that.  He's not really a metal vocalist.  But a lot of their stuff is some of the heaviest shit out there.  Great unique mix of styles.  Some of their songs would appeal to you guys but some would certainly be hit or miss.

I'm a huge fan. My wife and I can't go to shows together right now (no sitter), but we're both hardcore AB fans, and she went to our local show a few nights ago. They played a great set. I've seen them four times (1x on Blackbird, 2x on AB III, 1x on Fortress), and they were outstanding. As for the records, wolfking is pretty much dead on.

They are a great mix of classic metal, thrash, hard rock, and alternative rock styles. Borderline progressive as well, the way they alternate tempos/moods in the songs. For those looking to check them out, I always say, start with the Blackbird album. The title track is a real nice moody epic with a killer trade-off guitar solo that DT fans, fans of classic Queensryche, would dig. So many great tracks on that record - Wayward One, Ties That Bind - it really is good. Fortress, would be my second pick for people. I think that record really showcases their diversity pretty well.

I love all of their stuff, honestly. AB III is really dark, thematically. So if dark stuff is your thing, give that a listen. Slip to the Void, Isolation, Words Darker Than Their Wings, Show Me a Sign -- all just killer stuff.

Myles, in addition to having operatic range as a vocalist (think Cornell, but a bit sharper at times, with higher range), is a killer guitar player. He and Mark Tremonti work really well off one another. Think DeGarmo-Wilton if you're familiar with Queensryche. Myles cut his teeth playing jazz guitar and teaching guitar, and while he can shred with the best of them, he's very much someone who likes to put a lot of feel into his solos. Mark is a shred MONSTER. Combined, it is really a beautiful thing to listen to. Perfect contrast without seeming out of place.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Lowdz

I've not listened to much AB but have liked some. I even used a track in Chads first roulette and it did well.
I'm not a fan of the alternative sound and the vocals are ok in small doses.

I'm not expecting TA to be in the top 40 😀

Offline Lowdz

Two of my top 10 of last year made the last playlist (Avantasia and Punky Meadows). I'm expecting the rest, TA and probably the Andy Timmons aside,  to make it.

Myrath - Legacy

Avenged Sevenfold - The Stage

Graham Bonnet Band - The Book

Kansas - Prelude Implicit

Andy Timmons - theme from a perfect world

Megadeth- Dystopia

Fates Warning - Theories of Flight

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I'm a huge fan. My wife and I can't go to shows together right now (no sitter), but we're both hardcore AB fans, and she went to our local show a few nights ago. They played a great set. I've seen them four times (1x on Blackbird, 2x on AB III, 1x on Fortress), and they were outstanding. As for the records, wolfking is pretty much dead on.

They are a great mix of classic metal, thrash, hard rock, and alternative rock styles. Borderline progressive as well, the way they alternate tempos/moods in the songs. For those looking to check them out, I always say, start with the Blackbird album. The title track is a real nice moody epic with a killer trade-off guitar solo that DT fans, fans of classic Queensryche, would dig. So many great tracks on that record - Wayward One, Ties That Bind - it really is good. Fortress, would be my second pick for people. I think that record really showcases their diversity pretty well.

I love all of their stuff, honestly. AB III is really dark, thematically. So if dark stuff is your thing, give that a listen. Slip to the Void, Isolation, Words Darker Than Their Wings, Show Me a Sign -- all just killer stuff.

Myles, in addition to having operatic range as a vocalist (think Cornell, but a bit sharper at times, with higher range), is a killer guitar player. He and Mark Tremonti work really well off one another. Think DeGarmo-Wilton if you're familiar with Queensryche. Myles cut his teeth playing jazz guitar and teaching guitar, and while he can shred with the best of them, he's very much someone who likes to put a lot of feel into his solos. Mark is a shred MONSTER. Combined, it is really a beautiful thing to listen to. Perfect contrast without seeming out of place.

:metal  Nicely said there mate.

I'm seeing them down here in April.  Going to the meet and greet also.  :metal

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
 :metal

Have you ever been to their M&Gs before? My wife and I did it before the show in San Francisco at the Warfield on the Fortress tour. We had an amazing time. We don't normally spent money to do that sort of thing, but we made an exception, and it was so worth it.

Soundcheck was fun, they were really cool interacting here and there from the stage, and would play a few things here and there just to get people excited. When we met them, it was sort of a usual "stand in line and wait" thing, but we got called up one by one, and they spent a good amount of time with each person. And the goodie bag they gave was great too. All of them had good senses of humor too. Brian loves Iron Maiden, saw me with my shirt, and struck up a side convo. And Flip -- Flip loves his Living Colour. Was jealous as hell I had seen them recently.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Have you ever been to their M&Gs before? My wife and I did it before the show in San Francisco at the Warfield on the Fortress tour. We had an amazing time. We don't normally spent money to do that sort of thing, but we made an exception, and it was so worth it.

Soundcheck was fun, they were really cool interacting here and there from the stage, and would play a few things here and there just to get people excited. When we met them, it was sort of a usual "stand in line and wait" thing, but we got called up one by one, and they spent a good amount of time with each person. And the goodie bag they gave was great too. All of them had good senses of humor too. Brian loves Iron Maiden, saw me with my shirt, and struck up a side convo. And Flip -- Flip loves his Living Colour. Was jealous as hell I had seen them recently.

Nah man, it will actually be my first meet and greet for any band so don't know what to expect but that's a good insight.  Sounds pretty much like what they are doing this time too.  Actually a bit nervous as I would have no idea what to say to them.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Just started listening..............yes it's the 24th here.   The word on this has been pretty good despite some pretty average samples - fingers crossed.

How'd it go?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Just finished a two part listen right now.  The positive is that it's better than I expected , the negative is that it's chock full of good but not great songs that are pretty formulaic.  Not Erik Martensson formulaic but still fairly predictable.   Kiske does great as usual but the interesting songwriting of the first album (and 2nd to a lesser extent) just isn't there IMO and the couple of times they do try something a bit different/progressive it doesn't really work.

Rating somewhere low 80's.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just finished a two part listen right now.  The positive is that it's better than I expected , the negative is that it's chock full of good but not great songs that are pretty formulaic.  Not Erik Martensson formulaic but still fairly predictable.   Kiske does great as usual but the interesting songwriting of the first album (and 2nd to a lesser extent) just isn't there IMO and the couple of times they do try something a bit different/progressive it doesn't really work.

Rating somewhere low 80's.

That's good enough for me.

Offline Lowdz

New band with the singer from Storm Und Drang. Typical 80s style Scandi rock but sounds ok. One Desire.

https://youtu.be/DMwLOHbVgTE

Not going to bother with the Place Vendome.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Two of my top 10 of last year made the last playlist (Avantasia and Punky Meadows). I'm expecting the rest, TA and probably the Andy Timmons aside,  to make it.

Myrath - Legacy

Avenged Sevenfold - The Stage

Graham Bonnet Band - The Book

Kansas - Prelude Implicit

Andy Timmons - theme from a perfect world

Megadeth- Dystopia

Fates Warning - Theories of Flight

Just had my umpteenth listen to the next show - I expect you'll enjoy it   ;)    Aside from some bits and pieces + some input from Ben it's basically in the can.

A7X was in the current show (and another shout out for you :lol  )

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Must have missed that with the scrolling issue on the iPad. For the next one I'm going to burn it onto a USB for the car. Still won't be able to remember which bands I liked 😀

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm only half way through this bad boy.  Gotta make sure I get through it before the next one or else I'll never catch up haha.  Looking forward to the top 40 though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Must have missed that with the scrolling issue on the iPad.

You were scrolling through the podcast instead of listening from start to finish?  :-X

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm only half way through this bad boy.  Gotta make sure I get through it before the next one or else I'll never catch up haha.  Looking forward to the top 40 though.

Take your time ............I'm not going to finalise/upload the next one until I feel the prior one has run its race .  That's not stopping me from listening to it though  :D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Take your time ............I'm not going to finalise/upload the next one until I feel the prior one has run its race .  That's not stopping me from listening to it though  :D

Sweet man.  I have it on my pc at home so I'm getting through an hour a night, then will definitely need to revisit some of the tracks too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I thought that LeBrock was pretty damn good.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I thought that LeBrock was pretty damn good.