Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 907265 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I like Skunkworks. It's actually aged very well. I was a bit iffy on it when it came out, but I really enjoy it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

Agreed - I actually very much enjoyed it from the start

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Agreed - I actually very much enjoyed it from the start

I didn't know what to think of it. It came out in a very bizarre time in my life, and all it did was add to the bizarreness.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

One thing that I remember finding shocking (in a positive way!) was how good Bruce sounded (on Skunkworks, but also Balls to Picasso before that)…especially after hearing his stuff with Maiden before he left…

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I love that Bruce was trying something a bit different. And yeah, he sounds amazing on that record.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

New album from the Greek, um, unofficial Maiden tribute band?  :) Ok, maybe a little unfair, but they seem to fully embrace their Maiden worship, so...

Anyway, this is obviously not essential listening, but it's well done and I enjoyed it for what it is. Good energy, riffs and melodies.

Believe it or not, this popped into my youtube feed last night so I dropped the needle on it. Man, the guys sounds so much like Bruce, I simply couldn't listen to it. :lol

Might sample it tonight if I remember.  I have a hard time taking anything seriously though that sounds so blatantly like another band, regardless of how strong it may be.

Having a listen through this now properly and I was wrong here, I think this is fantastic.  High quality melodic metal.  I also don't hear that much Bruce as others do as I mentioned.  I hear more earlier Edguy and even reminds me of a band called Lancer.

So I put this on while doing yardwork this morning, which BTW, already puts me in a foul mood. ;D

Anyway, I gotta be honest..this album pissed me off. :lol
Yeah, I hear some Tobi, but the guy sounds so much like Bruce, I cannot listen to it. I got through 4 or 5 songs.

I think I'll just listen to Skunkworks next time.

:lol

Errr......okay sorry Tim haha.

Oh, Skunkworks is top 3 Bruce, just behind CW and AOB.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

New album from the Greek, um, unofficial Maiden tribute band?  :) Ok, maybe a little unfair, but they seem to fully embrace their Maiden worship, so...

Anyway, this is obviously not essential listening, but it's well done and I enjoyed it for what it is. Good energy, riffs and melodies.

Believe it or not, this popped into my youtube feed last night so I dropped the needle on it. Man, the guys sounds so much like Bruce, I simply couldn't listen to it. :lol

Might sample it tonight if I remember.  I have a hard time taking anything seriously though that sounds so blatantly like another band, regardless of how strong it may be.

Having a listen through this now properly and I was wrong here, I think this is fantastic.  High quality melodic metal.  I also don't hear that much Bruce as others do as I mentioned.  I hear more earlier Edguy and even reminds me of a band called Lancer.

So I put this on while doing yardwork this morning, which BTW, already puts me in a foul mood. ;D

Anyway, I gotta be honest..this album pissed me off. :lol
Yeah, I hear some Tobi, but the guy sounds so much like Bruce, I cannot listen to it. I got through 4 or 5 songs.

Vocals on the first track was definitely the love-child of Tobi/Bruce.  After that, it was mostly Bruce.  Musically though, I didn't nearly as much of a Maiden vibe as the vocals.

I'm diggin the album.  Definitely save-worthy.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yeah it really doesn’t sound like Maiden.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Small sections do, but on a whole, not really.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The singing sections sure as hell do.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Damn, the new Pyramaze is absolute shit.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Really?  I’ve only played it once, but thought it was decent enough. Not anything I would consider extremely good or bad … just something middle of the road for them.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Really?  I’ve only played it once, but thought it was decent enough. Not anything I would consider extremely good or bad … just something middle of the road for them.

It's a me problem lately, but that description you wrote there pretty much qualifies as shit to me these days.  It's just so pedestrian, generic and boring.  Disappointing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

It's a me problem lately, but that description you wrote there pretty much qualifies as shit to me these days.  It's just so pedestrian, generic and boring.  Disappointing.

Oh, your roulette is going to be SOOOOO much fun.   :rollin

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wolfking Roulette?? I’m in!!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
As am I......

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I've thought about it, but I just don't think I could be assed at the moment to be honest lads.  I'll think some more about it.  The motivation for it isn't there.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I've thought about it, but I just don't think I could be assed at the moment to be honest lads.  I'll think some more about it.  The motivation for it isn't there.

Sounds like someone needs to watch some David Goggins!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
This is a bit better than the tripe KK released first time around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=Sypj3SPBKKU
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Sounds like someone needs to watch some David Goggins!

Or David S. Pumpkins.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
On a reissue note, just picked up the vinyl reissues of Disconnected and FWX from Fates Warning that are released today.

Napalm Records in Germany has the very limited variants. I picked up the limited to 500 copper version of Disconnected and the limited to 500 brown marble version of FWX. If you're a fan, hurry. They sold out on Kingsroad Merch, so this is the last online retailer I see that has them. They also have a sweet Orange version of Disconnected (limited to 1000) and a sky blue version of FWX (limited to 1000).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Brian where do those those two albums rank on your all time Fates Warning list?  Nothing Fates ever did before or after compared to the triple threat of Perfect Symmetry, Parallels and Inside Out for me.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Brian where do those those two albums rank on your all time Fates Warning list?  Nothing Fates ever did before or after compared to the triple threat of Perfect Symmetry, Parallels and Inside Out for me.

It's weird. Disconnected has my favorite two FW songs of all time in "Still Remains" and "One." Yet as an album listening experience, it's below Parallels, No Exit, and Theories of Flight for me. Not sure how far below those, but it is. And it's not that I don't enjoy the other songs on Disconnected - I do. It's just strange for me.

As for FWX, I really enjoy that album a great deal. Again, not sure where it sits in the Alder-fronted catalog for me in comparison, but probably someone in the range of Inside Out (for me, which means five, six, seven, somewhere there). I'd have to think about it a bit.

My top-3 are: Parallels, No Exit, Theories of Flight.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Why have I not paid attention to Venom Inc.?  Their albums kick some serious ass! 

I'm a casual fan of Venom, so I don't know much about their lineup changes and the two bands aside that Cronos heads Venom and the others head Inc.  But I really love Inc.'s debut.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Had a run through of the Elegant Weapons album.  The lead single had my hopes up as that was really good but everything else falls completely flat.  Talk about unoriginal and uninspired.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I tried to listen to this on Youtube and couldn't get into it at all.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Not even sure it's a solid either.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So...

https://bravewords.com/news/carmine-appice-s-king-kobra-return-with-quiet-riot-and-dio-members-we-are-warriors-single-and-video-out-now

Not that I was ever into King Kobra, but this article caught my attention. The two guitarists involved are Carlos Cavazo and....Rowan Robertson, of all people. I just had to listen. The singer is Paul Shortino.

OK, color me interested.

Listened to the track linked in the article.....what fucking suckage! Holy shit, it might be the worst thing I've heard since Winger. WTF?

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Always thought Ready to Strike was a pretty kick ass tune.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
So...

https://bravewords.com/news/carmine-appice-s-king-kobra-return-with-quiet-riot-and-dio-members-we-are-warriors-single-and-video-out-now

Not that I was ever into King Kobra, but this article caught my attention. The two guitarists involved are Carlos Cavazo and....Rowan Robertson, of all people. I just had to listen. The singer is Paul Shortino.

OK, color me interested.

Listened to the track linked in the article.....what fucking suckage! Holy shit, it might be the worst thing I've heard since Winger. WTF?

How you kinda talked that up but then absolutely slammed it was beautiful. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Holy fuck, yeah....that was actually legit really really absolute fucking horseshit.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll take both of you at your word.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'd recommend listening just to be in sheer disbelief at how fucking pathetic and laughable it actually is.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I'd recommend listening just to be in sheer disbelief at how fucking pathetic and laughable it actually is.

That's 90 seconds of my life I'll never get back again.  Vocally, any one of us would sound better at a karaoke bar.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni