News:

The staff at DTF wish to remind you all that a firm grasp of the rules of Yahtzee can save your life and the lives of your loved ones.  Be safe out there.

Main Menu

The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!

Started by bl5150, September 21, 2014, 04:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TAC

I like Skunkworks. It's actually aged very well. I was a bit iffy on it when it came out, but I really enjoy it.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

nick_z

TAC

Quote from: nick_z on June 28, 2023, 02:50:23 PM
Agreed - I actually very much enjoyed it from the start

I didn't know what to think of it. It came out in a very bizarre time in my life, and all it did was add to the bizarreness.  :lol
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

nick_z

One thing that I remember finding shocking (in a positive way!) was how good Bruce sounded (on Skunkworks, but also Balls to Picasso before that)...especially after hearing his stuff with Maiden before he left...

Kwyjibo

I love that Bruce was trying something a bit different. And yeah, he sounds amazing on that record.

wolfking

Quote from: TAC on June 28, 2023, 09:24:47 AM
Quote from: wolfking on June 27, 2023, 04:11:42 PM
Quote from: wolfking on June 25, 2023, 04:32:36 PM
Quote from: TAC on June 25, 2023, 02:13:41 PM
Quote from: nick_z on June 25, 2023, 10:03:41 AM

New album from the Greek, um, unofficial Maiden tribute band?  :) Ok, maybe a little unfair, but they seem to fully embrace their Maiden worship, so...

Anyway, this is obviously not essential listening, but it's well done and I enjoyed it for what it is. Good energy, riffs and melodies.

Believe it or not, this popped into my youtube feed last night so I dropped the needle on it. Man, the guys sounds so much like Bruce, I simply couldn't listen to it. :lol

Might sample it tonight if I remember.  I have a hard time taking anything seriously though that sounds so blatantly like another band, regardless of how strong it may be.

Having a listen through this now properly and I was wrong here, I think this is fantastic.  High quality melodic metal.  I also don't hear that much Bruce as others do as I mentioned.  I hear more earlier Edguy and even reminds me of a band called Lancer.

So I put this on while doing yardwork this morning, which BTW, already puts me in a foul mood. ;D

Anyway, I gotta be honest..this album pissed me off. :lol
Yeah, I hear some Tobi, but the guy sounds so much like Bruce, I cannot listen to it. I got through 4 or 5 songs.

I think I'll just listen to Skunkworks next time.

:lol

Errr......okay sorry Tim haha.

Oh, Skunkworks is top 3 Bruce, just behind CW and AOB.

jingle.boy

Quote from: TAC on June 28, 2023, 09:24:47 AM
Quote from: wolfking on June 27, 2023, 04:11:42 PM
Quote from: wolfking on June 25, 2023, 04:32:36 PM
Quote from: TAC on June 25, 2023, 02:13:41 PM
Quote from: nick_z on June 25, 2023, 10:03:41 AM

New album from the Greek, um, unofficial Maiden tribute band?  :) Ok, maybe a little unfair, but they seem to fully embrace their Maiden worship, so...

Anyway, this is obviously not essential listening, but it's well done and I enjoyed it for what it is. Good energy, riffs and melodies.

Believe it or not, this popped into my youtube feed last night so I dropped the needle on it. Man, the guys sounds so much like Bruce, I simply couldn't listen to it. :lol

Might sample it tonight if I remember.  I have a hard time taking anything seriously though that sounds so blatantly like another band, regardless of how strong it may be.

Having a listen through this now properly and I was wrong here, I think this is fantastic.  High quality melodic metal.  I also don't hear that much Bruce as others do as I mentioned.  I hear more earlier Edguy and even reminds me of a band called Lancer.

So I put this on while doing yardwork this morning, which BTW, already puts me in a foul mood. ;D

Anyway, I gotta be honest..this album pissed me off. :lol
Yeah, I hear some Tobi, but the guy sounds so much like Bruce, I cannot listen to it. I got through 4 or 5 songs.

Vocals on the first track was definitely the love-child of Tobi/Bruce.  After that, it was mostly Bruce.  Musically though, I didn't nearly as much of a Maiden vibe as the vocals.

I'm diggin the album.  Definitely save-worthy.
Quote from: TAC on July 31, 2021, 06:55:07 PMIf I can do it, it's idiot proof.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

TAC

wolfking

TAC

wolfking

jingle.boy

Quote from: wolfking on July 05, 2023, 08:51:34 PM
Damn, the new Pyramaze is absolute shit.

Really?  I've only played it once, but thought it was decent enough. Not anything I would consider extremely good or bad ... just something middle of the road for them.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

wolfking

Quote from: jingle.boy on July 06, 2023, 03:25:58 AM

Really?  I've only played it once, but thought it was decent enough. Not anything I would consider extremely good or bad ... just something middle of the road for them.

It's a me problem lately, but that description you wrote there pretty much qualifies as shit to me these days.  It's just so pedestrian, generic and boring.  Disappointing.

jingle.boy

Quote from: wolfking on July 06, 2023, 04:48:48 AM
Quote from: jingle.boy on July 06, 2023, 03:25:58 AM

It's a me problem lately, but that description you wrote there pretty much qualifies as shit to me these days.  It's just so pedestrian, generic and boring.  Disappointing.

Oh, your roulette is going to be SOOOOO much fun.   :rollin

TAC

Stadler

wolfking

I've thought about it, but I just don't think I could be assed at the moment to be honest lads.  I'll think some more about it.  The motivation for it isn't there.

jingle.boy

Quote from: wolfking on July 06, 2023, 03:08:55 PM
I've thought about it, but I just don't think I could be assed at the moment to be honest lads.  I'll think some more about it.  The motivation for it isn't there.

Sounds like someone needs to watch some David Goggins!

bl5150

jjrock88

Quote from: jingle.boy on July 06, 2023, 07:58:37 PM
Quote from: wolfking on July 06, 2023, 03:08:55 PM

Sounds like someone needs to watch some David Goggins!

Or David S. Pumpkins.

Samsara

On a reissue note, just picked up the vinyl reissues of Disconnected and FWX from Fates Warning that are released today.

Napalm Records in Germany has the very limited variants. I picked up the limited to 500 copper version of Disconnected and the limited to 500 brown marble version of FWX. If you're a fan, hurry. They sold out on Kingsroad Merch, so this is the last online retailer I see that has them. They also have a sweet Orange version of Disconnected (limited to 1000) and a sky blue version of FWX (limited to 1000).

jjrock88

Brian where do those those two albums rank on your all time Fates Warning list?  Nothing Fates ever did before or after compared to the triple threat of Perfect Symmetry, Parallels and Inside Out for me.

Samsara

Quote from: jjrock88 on July 07, 2023, 08:39:52 AM
Brian where do those those two albums rank on your all time Fates Warning list?  Nothing Fates ever did before or after compared to the triple threat of Perfect Symmetry, Parallels and Inside Out for me.

It's weird. Disconnected has my favorite two FW songs of all time in "Still Remains" and "One." Yet as an album listening experience, it's below Parallels, No Exit, and Theories of Flight for me. Not sure how far below those, but it is. And it's not that I don't enjoy the other songs on Disconnected - I do. It's just strange for me.

As for FWX, I really enjoy that album a great deal. Again, not sure where it sits in the Alder-fronted catalog for me in comparison, but probably someone in the range of Inside Out (for me, which means five, six, seven, somewhere there). I'd have to think about it a bit.

My top-3 are: Parallels, No Exit, Theories of Flight.

Grappler

Why have I not paid attention to Venom Inc.?  Their albums kick some serious ass! 

I'm a casual fan of Venom, so I don't know much about their lineup changes and the two bands aside that Cronos heads Venom and the others head Inc.  But I really love Inc.'s debut.

wolfking

Had a run through of the Elegant Weapons album.  The lead single had my hopes up as that was really good but everything else falls completely flat.  Talk about unoriginal and uninspired.

jjrock88

I tried to listen to this on Youtube and couldn't get into it at all.

wolfking

TAC

So...

https://bravewords.com/news/carmine-appice-s-king-kobra-return-with-quiet-riot-and-dio-members-we-are-warriors-single-and-video-out-now

Not that I was ever into King Kobra, but this article caught my attention. The two guitarists involved are Carlos Cavazo and....Rowan Robertson, of all people. I just had to listen. The singer is Paul Shortino.

OK, color me interested.

Listened to the track linked in the article.....what fucking suckage! Holy shit, it might be the worst thing I've heard since Winger. WTF?

jjrock88

wolfking

Quote from: TAC on July 18, 2023, 01:40:17 PM
So...

https://bravewords.com/news/carmine-appice-s-king-kobra-return-with-quiet-riot-and-dio-members-we-are-warriors-single-and-video-out-now

Not that I was ever into King Kobra, but this article caught my attention. The two guitarists involved are Carlos Cavazo and....Rowan Robertson, of all people. I just had to listen. The singer is Paul Shortino.

OK, color me interested.

Listened to the track linked in the article.....what fucking suckage! Holy shit, it might be the worst thing I've heard since Winger. WTF?

How you kinda talked that up but then absolutely slammed it was beautiful. 

wolfking

Holy fuck, yeah....that was actually legit really really absolute fucking horseshit.

jingle.boy

wolfking

I'd recommend listening just to be in sheer disbelief at how fucking pathetic and laughable it actually is.

jingle.boy

Quote from: wolfking on July 19, 2023, 04:12:11 AM
I'd recommend listening just to be in sheer disbelief at how fucking pathetic and laughable it actually is.

That's 90 seconds of my life I'll never get back again.  Vocally, any one of us would sound better at a karaoke bar.