Poll

Which do you prefer?

The Enemy Inside
Bridges in the Sky

Author Topic: The Enemy Inside vs Bridges in the Sky  (Read 4542 times)

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
Re: The Enemy Inside vs Bridges in the Sky
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2014, 12:24:16 PM »
TEI is my least fav on the album.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2014, 12:29:08 PM »
I really like TEI, but it can't beat a top 20 song like BITS.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2014, 12:51:34 PM »
Why are all these song vs song polls popping up? Aren't we already doing this on DT The League?

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2014, 12:56:19 PM »
Why are all these song vs song polls popping up? Aren't we already doing this on DT The League?
Yeah, but those polls are never enough :neverusethis:

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2014, 01:28:50 PM »
BitS...by a lot, for me.  TEI definitely rocks, and the lyrics are great, but still it is my least favorite cut on DT12.
- Ronzoni -

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2014, 01:42:55 PM »
BITS

Both are great though  :tup

Offline JayTor2112

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2014, 04:54:16 PM »
That's a tough "apples and oranges" decision there.  Enemy is one of their best straightforward metal tracks, and Bridges is a semi-long epics, and one of their best as well.  I usually lean towards the longer songs, so that would have to be my pick.

Offline haceeb

• When you surrender to the light, You can face the darkest days
  • I am bent, not broken
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2014, 05:00:10 PM »
i love both songs but The Enemy Inside is my favorite now a days  :tup

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2014, 05:48:27 PM »

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2014, 07:10:21 PM »
OMG, again I am in the huge minority.  I really like Bridges in the Sky, but The Enemy Inside is so much better to me.  Both are really great songs, though, so I don't feel the desire to try and explain anything.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2014, 08:47:39 PM »
a top 20 song like BITS.
:lol :rollin :lol

I just love constructive and well thought out posts like this.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2014, 09:37:58 PM »
I like The Enemy Inside more.

I'll probably be the only one. :lol

Nope. You're not the only one.  :metal
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2014, 05:53:38 AM »
I dig the Enemy Inside, but I don't even think this is a close one. Bridges is one of the greatest DT songs of all time.
This. I LOVE The Enemy Inside. It's one of their best straightforward metal tracks. But Bridges is not a straightforward metal track and it's 1000x better. In my top 5 10 overall, so that's where my vote went.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2014, 06:40:17 AM »

The Enemy Inside

Offline LTE3

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2014, 09:30:27 PM »
They really have similar structures and sound eerily similar at times so I will go with the original and more traditional longer version with Bridges.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline Invisible

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2014, 11:41:12 PM »
If I were to do this vs. kind of thing, I would have put it against On The Backs Of Angels, they even have a very similar solo and they are the respective hits of each album. Not even going to vote here since it's completely apples and oranges, aside from the riffage on the beginning.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2014, 05:56:29 AM »
If I were to do this vs. kind of thing, I would have put it against On The Backs Of Angels, they even have a very similar solo and they are the respective hits of each album. Not even going to vote here since it's completely apples and oranges, aside from the riffage on the beginning.

If anything, TEI and OTBOA are apples and oranges. Wow, one lick in the solo is similar, so they obviously have to be really similar songs ::)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2014, 06:12:35 AM »
I don't know, guys.  I don't understand people not seeing the comparison on this one.

Both of them are basically the heaviest song on their respective albums.  Makes sense to me.  Not apples vs. oranges at all.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2014, 06:20:23 AM »
Exactly, but I absolutely don't get why people always compare TEI to OTBOA. Both songs were singles, but that doesn't really justify calling them similar. And they really aren't similar at all.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2014, 07:34:52 AM »
"Bridges In The Sky" -to me- is in a whole different class compared to "The Enemy Inside"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2014, 07:47:52 AM »
"Bridges In The Sky" -to me- is in a whole different class compared to "The Enemy Inside"
Well, I like BITS a whole lot more than TEI, for sure, but it's not like there's no comparison to be made there.

It's not like, I don't know, Regression and A Change of Seasons, or anything absurd like that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2014, 09:38:24 AM »
Well, I like BITS a whole lot more than TEI, for sure, but it's not like there's no comparison to be made there.

It's not like, I don't know, Regression and A Change of Seasons, or anything absurd like that.

I thought the Regression vs A Change of Seasons poll was serious.  :-[

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2014, 09:55:33 AM »
Oh, it is.

Offline Konrad

• hi
  • RECYCLE!!! RECYCLE!!!
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2014, 10:00:34 AM »
The Enemy Inside is disgusting...
I personally like Bridges in the Sky a lot, because i can do that "shaman voice" intro. :3

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2014, 12:12:11 PM »

no, no, what I mean is, I think BITS is more of an epic-ish tune in the I-II-III-IV-III-II-I type of arrangement, whereas TEI straddles the line between djent and metal, with more of a straight-up pounding riff-based tune.

They share quite a few common elements for sure.  I just have a hard time comparing these two songs because to me they sound like two different KINDS of songs.  That's  what I was  trying to convey. 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2014, 12:14:11 PM »
disgusting?   

Offline lithium112

« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2014, 12:30:34 PM »
TEI straddles the line between djent and metal, with more of a straight-up pounding riff-based tune.

How is TEI remotely comparable to djent? Its sound is completely inconsistent with that genre/sound/whatever you wanna call it.

Offline Shade

« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2014, 12:35:11 PM »
I make the comparison because I feel the band view the songs in similar light, sure no one song is ever gonna completely echo another, that'd be slightly retarded. But it's clear that on the last 2 albums, each have contained these two as the fast, heavy riff driven song. Not to mention they've opened their respective tours with these songs.

For me it's the side of DT I love the most and both these songs would probably make my top 10. I agree BITS has the drawn out semi-epic element to it which TEI lacks, but from the point of view of being the token heavy song for their respective albums, I do believe there's a lot of comparison to be made.

Offline Invisible

« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2014, 03:33:18 AM »

If anything, TEI and OTBOA are apples and oranges. Wow, one lick in the solo is similar, so they obviously have to be really similar songs ::)
Wow one riff is similar, so they obviously have to be really similar songs ::).

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2014, 04:42:32 AM »

Wow one riff is similar, so they obviously have to be really similar songs ::).

I don't think you really get why this comparison is made :facepalm:

Offline Invisible

« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2014, 04:58:45 PM »
I was actually trying to be funny and not serious, but I guess I forgot to add a smiley at the end and failed miserably :lol.

Maybe I'm not getting it as I'm relatively new to the album yet, but aside from the whole intro section, which is very similar, the two songs evolve in a very different way. And I never said OTBOA and TEI were similar songs, I said, in other words, there were more ground of comparison for these two songs than with Bridges In The Sky, that's all. BITS I feel it has more of a short epic vibe, the other two are more to-the-point straight prog metal rocker. Maybe the apples and oranges was a bit of extreme considering there is another poll for Regression against A Change of Seasons, but what I was going for is that they are different kind of songs, even if they are the same style.

The three of them are different anyway, so let's just agree to disagree here.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2014, 05:04:01 PM »
I don't really understand why we're comparing these two songs. Aside from both being setlist openers, they really aren't very similar at all.

Besides, BITS is leagues above TEI.  :biggrin:

Offline Invisible

« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2014, 05:11:36 PM »
I don't really understand why we're comparing these two songs. Aside from both being setlist openers, they really aren't very similar at all.
Ok, that's new to me since I haven't been following the setlists in case they decide to come around(I hope so >:(). Maybe that's what I've been missing, aprilethereal? :lol

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2014, 05:24:24 PM »
Ok, that's new to me since I haven't been following the setlists in case they decide to come around(I hope so >:(). Maybe that's what I've been missing, aprilethereal? :lol
Hope you aren't mad at me for spoiling... the OP already said it anyway  :biggrin:

I hope you get to check out the live show at some point, it's really something.