Author Topic: Virginia is for Crazies  (Read 1033 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Virginia is for Crazies
« on: November 19, 2013, 02:35:15 PM »
That needs to be the new marketing slogan for them.  My former state has had a spat of crazy today.

State senator stabbed, son killed: https://www.cnn.com/2013/11/19/politics/virginia-politician-attack/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

School shooting at Liberty: https://www.cnn.com/2013/11/19/justice/virginia-university-fatal-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

And then of course there was the VT shooting, the VT beheading, and the NRV community college rampage.

I feel lucky to have survived that place for so long now.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Virginia is for Crazies
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 03:53:20 PM »
We drive to Disney probably three times a year, and I can easily say that the worst part of the trip is driving through Virginia. Once we get through Richmond, it does get better.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 08:11:08 PM »
While living in DC we were long time residents of Old Town Alexandria. I recall once in the middle of the day on a very busy street MS 13 cut the head off of a suspected drug informants girlfriend. It happened about a mile from my house in front of a busy mall. But other than that I loved living there.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 10:18:15 PM »
While living in DC we were long time residents of Old Town Alexandria. I recall once in the middle of the day on a very busy street MS 13 cut the head off of a suspected drug informants girlfriend. It happened about a mile from my house in front of a busy mall. But other than that I loved living there.
Fuck MS-13. They're growing around here, too.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 10:25:41 PM »
I was born in Hampton, Virginia, and lived there for four years before moving to Georgia, three years before moving to Houston, two years before moving to Sugar Land.

:|
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Akasha

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 07:43:44 PM »
I lived in NO. Va most of my life expect the 10 yrs I lived in Ca and OK. I moved to Florida during the summer. I saw many crazy things in Va. I remember one time my sister called me to tell me that the DC sniper just hit in another city and for me to go get gas.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 07:56:06 AM »
Having lived in Hampton, VA, for most of my life, I can attest that, at times, this state is truly batshit insane. Oh excuse me, commonwealth.

But let's face it, at this point, batshit insanity is part and parcel of American life.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 08:13:04 AM »
I lived in Hampton for a few years, as my father was in the Air Force.  We then moved to Roanoke, where I lived for about 15 years.  My family all still lives there.  I rather like Virginia.  I only moved because it was time GTFO of the nest and PA provided a good escape.

That said, if I had to spend any significant time around students of Liberty University, I'd probably be moved to violence also.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 08:16:26 PM »
In my four years in Williamsburg, the worst we had were moron tourists, no real crazy shit.  Although I was surprised by the number of students that were 50-yr olds living in 19-yr old bodies.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 12:30:38 AM »
In my four years in Williamsburg, the worst we had were moron tourists, no real crazy shit.  Although I was surprised by the number of students that were 50-yr olds living in 19-yr old bodies.

W&M?

I went there for a short period during graduate school. I enjoyed my time there.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 12:48:43 AM »
I lived in NO. Va most of my life expect the 10 yrs I lived in Ca and OK. I moved to Florida during the summer. I saw many crazy things in Va. I remember one time my sister called me to tell me that the DC sniper just hit in another city and for me to go get gas.

Believe it or not during that period of time it was horrific. The simple act of pumping gas was terrifying. But that is true, when they would strike in a particular area there would be a run on gas at places across town. I recall the woman gunned down outside Home Depot. My wife and I had just been at the Seven Corners Mall two days before. Very surreal time.

I also recall that one of the terrorist masterminds from 9/11 (or some other plot, I can't recall) was housed in the federal jail in Alexandria and they installed dozens of high tech permanent road bollards in all of the streets surrounding the court facility there. They could rise up out of the roadway whenever he was in court or they were moving him. There was a mall/ restaurant/ theater complex next door, and Ted Turner had opened up a bison restaurant there and we used to frequent it quite a bit when it first opened. Several times you couldn't get there because while the asswipe was in court the bollards would be activated and the streets closed.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 08:51:29 PM »

W&M?

I went there for a short period during graduate school. I enjoyed my time there.

Yep.

I lived in Richmond for a year after that (also around the time of the DC sniper, though they never made it south of Ashland, I think)...again, no standout craziness, but this very odd vibe that was part DC, part confederacy.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol