Author Topic: 2014 Setlist Predictions Thread  (Read 66370 times)

Offline krands85

Re: 2014 Setlist Predictions Thread
« Reply #560 on: January 04, 2014, 11:10:08 AM »
Didn't realise the tour started so soon, seems to have snuck up on me - less than 6 weeks until the Manchester gig  :omg:

Very interested to see the setlists, not only from the first night, but from the first few - to see how much they're mixing things up. Really hope they play at least one of my top 4 tracks (since they didn't the first 2 times I saw them), so fingers crossed. Though I think any of my top 3 are unlikely - In the Name of God is probably my best chance from my top 4.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #561 on: January 04, 2014, 11:10:34 AM »
I would really love to see ACOS brought back again. I know it's a big chunk of the setlist but that's just an amazing song to see performed live.
Yeah, it'd be awesome if they took advantage of the "evening with" format by bringing it back :metal

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #562 on: January 04, 2014, 09:53:39 PM »
I would really love to see ACOS brought back again. I know it's a big chunk of the setlist but that's just an amazing song to see performed live.
Yeah, it'd be awesome if they took advantage of the "evening with" format by bringing it back :metal

If I remember correctly, it hasn't been played in full since Italy 2004.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #563 on: January 04, 2014, 11:08:03 PM »
Holy shit 10 years is WAY too long. It's been 7-8 years since Octavarium too and they're a minute apart in length (studio versions at least), so if they switched those two out for the encore i think everyone would be pleased.

With that in mind, I've made some changes to my predicted setlist:

Set A:
False Awakening Suite intro tape (hopefully with animation)
The Enemy Inside
The Looking Glass
--LaBrie says hi--
Blind Faith/Hollow Years
Under A Glass Moon/Take The Time
The Bigger Picture
--LaBrie Mentions Awake/SFAM Anniversary--
Voices/The Dance of Eternity+One Last Time
Scarred/The Spirit Carries On
Space Dye Vest/Finally Free

intermission

Set B
Bridges in the Sky/The Glass Prison (after intermission, house lights dim and static starts back up from Finally Free)
Constant Motion
Enigma Machine
Behind the Veil
LaBrie mentions SFAM/Awake Anniversary
Overture 1928+Strange Deja Vu/Erotomania
The Dance of Eternity/Space Dye Vest
Surrender to Reason
On the Backs of Angels
Along for the Ride
Illumination Theory
JP/JR Easter Egg

Encore:
A Change of Seasons/Octavarium

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: January 05, 2014, 01:49:58 AM »
Holy shit 10 years is WAY too long. It's been 7-8 years since Octavarium too and they're a minute apart in length (studio versions at least), so if they switched those two out for the encore i think everyone would be pleased.
I'd be ok with that if they played ACOS in Helsinki ;D

Online Mladen

« Reply #565 on: January 05, 2014, 03:45:59 AM »
I've got an idea. I read or heard in an interview that they will include a song from each album, so if that is the case, which ones would be picked? I picked the songs, but it's still hard to figure out the order and the way they would be combined with the new stuff, so I'll just list the songs. I mostly went with the rather short ones, being that there are eleven albums to choose from:

Only a matter of time
Take the time
Space-dye vest
Trial of tears
Home
Blind faith
As I am
I walk beside you
Constant motion
Wither
On the backs of angels
Build me up, break me down

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #566 on: January 05, 2014, 04:06:58 AM »
I don't have a full setlist with order prediction but based on when were songs last played and some other facts I predict some of these songs will definitely show up

WDADU: The Killing Hand (last played in 2004 (WDADRU) and regulary last played in 2002)
IAW: Take The Time (the only song that wasn't played on ADTOE tour)
Awake: Lifting Shadows Off A Dream (last played in 2002), The Mirror / Lie (Was played on BC&SL tour but I guess it might return cause it wasn't on any live release yet)
FII: Trial Of Tears (last played in 2004), Take Away My Pain (last played in 1998)
SFAM: Finally Free (last played in 2005)
SDOIT: The Glass Prison (last played in 2006)
TOT: This Dying Soul (last played in 2006), Stream Of Consciousness (last played in 2004, probably not because Engima Machine will be probably played and that would mean two instrumentals in the set and one pretty long one but who knows maybe)
8VM: I Walk Beside You (last played in 2008)
SC: The Ministry Of Lost Souls (last played in 2008)
BC&SL: Wither (just a guess)
ADTOE: On The Backs Of Angels (just a guess), Lost Not Forgotten (they started to play it on later legs so maybe they will keep playing it but still just a guess, any song from ADTOE kept in setlist wouldn't surprise me maybe except BMUBMD and FFH)

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: January 05, 2014, 04:47:08 AM »
My guesses are pretty similar:

Afterlife
Take the Time
Space-Dye Vest
Trial of Tears
Finally Free
The Glass Prison
Stream of Consciousness
I Walk Beside You, perhaps?
In the Presence of Enemies Pt. 1
The Shattered Fortress (JP said "songs we've never played before" and this is probably the best guess besides SDV)
On the Backs of Angels

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #568 on: January 05, 2014, 08:23:10 AM »
I fully believe they're going to play at least one of the mini epics off ADToE and OTBOA since that was nominated for a Grammy, most likely 2 or more I&W songs, and at least 7 off DT12. If they wanted to they could play 1 from the remaining 9 and have 20 songs but i'd rather them just pick their best setlist songs instead of just picking ones off each album for the sake of including every album.

My wishlist that won't happen, however, is:
The Glass Prison
Caught in a Web
Blind Faith
Bridges in the Sky
Dance of Eternity
A Change of Seasons
The Count of Tuscany

FAS
TEI
EM
TBP
BtV
STR
IT

encore: Octavarium

That would actually fit in at almost 3 hours plus intermission. That's 15 songs and if they played that whole set I'd die.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #569 on: January 05, 2014, 08:25:40 AM »
But if we're going for one song an album, I'd say:

The Killing Hand
Take the Time
Voices
Trial of Tears
Dance of Eternity (they have to know a lot of people want to see Mangini play this live)
Blind Faith
This Dying Soul
Panic Attack
Constant Motion
Count of Tuscany (encore)
OTBoA
BitS
DT12

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #570 on: January 05, 2014, 01:19:58 PM »
Stream Of Consciousness (last played in 2004, probably not because Engima Machine will be probably played and that would mean two instrumentals in the set and one pretty long one but who knows maybe)

I'll count your doubt by saying the LAB setlist featured BOTH "Stream of Consciousness" AND "The Instrumedley", as well as an equally long jam in the middle of "Beyond This Life". That is nearly a half hour of instrumental music in the whole set of 3 hours. I think they could definitely play SOC AND EM in the same show, just in different sets and spread apart well. It would give James a good amount of time to catch his breath, so to speak.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #571 on: January 05, 2014, 03:08:06 PM »
Stream Of Consciousness (last played in 2004, probably not because Engima Machine will be probably played and that would mean two instrumentals in the set and one pretty long one but who knows maybe)

I'll count your doubt by saying the LAB setlist featured BOTH "Stream of Consciousness" AND "The Instrumedley", as well as an equally long jam in the middle of "Beyond This Life". That is nearly a half hour of instrumental music in the whole set of 3 hours. I think they could definitely play SOC AND EM in the same show, just in different sets and spread apart well. It would give James a good amount of time to catch his breath, so to speak.

-Marc.

HELL YEA!

Or better yet, 86 Enigma Machine and throw in DOE :JayOctavarium:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #572 on: January 05, 2014, 06:58:22 PM »

-Marc.

You are right, I didn't realize that :) So we will see, Stream Of Consciousness live must be awesome even though it drags a bit in the middle on the album... I would love if they would play it.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #573 on: January 05, 2014, 10:44:21 PM »
Again, I will contend that these instrumental selections were not a part of the regular setlist for that leg and were only played at the LAB show for the sake of posterity and capturing the re-imagined songs these on DVD.  I do not expect more than one instrumental on this tour.  It would take away from the limelight (and importance) of the new martial:  Enigma Machine.

Offline genome

« Reply #574 on: January 06, 2014, 06:01:56 PM »
According to here: https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5862286/dream-theater-planting-seeds-for-album-no-13

Illumination Theory is the closer, although it's not a direct quote.

I initially had a strong feeling they were going to play Octavarium. (Please  :-[ ) Although if IT is the closer, then maybe not, I don't see Octavarium as the kind of song that would be put in the middle somewhere.

I'm going to go for:

False Awakening Suite
The Enemy Inside
These Walls
Surrounded
Enigma Machine
(Rudess Solo)
Blind Faith
Endless Sacrifice
(Mangini Solo)
Caught in a Web
Space Dye Vest
Lie
Breaking All Illusions

-----Interval-----

Under A Glass Moon
The Dark Eternal Night
The Looking Glass
Through My Words/Fatal Tragedy
A Fortune in Lies
Along For The Ride
Take The Time
(Petrucci Solo)
The Spirit Carries On
Metropolis

Encore:
Illumination Theory

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #575 on: January 06, 2014, 09:26:30 PM »
A few of those songs you picked were played at most of the shows during the last tour, and likely won't make it back, except Metropolis and maybe UAGM or ES since they were only played in 2011.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #576 on: January 06, 2014, 10:16:43 PM »

I initially had a strong feeling they were going to play Octavarium. (Please  :-[ ) Although if IT is the closer, then maybe not, I don't see Octavarium as the kind of song that would be put in the middle somewhere.

???

Why would they play an older 20-minute plus song instead of the one on the album they are touring?  That is not something DT would do.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #577 on: January 06, 2014, 11:31:50 PM »
It would be interesting if after the FAS intro tape (if it is indeed that way), they play The Glass Prison instead and immediately play The Enemy Inside one beat after the last chord. Would be kickass beyond belief.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #578 on: January 07, 2014, 01:40:15 AM »
 ". . . and Petrucci says the group is planning "a cool event in Boston" that it plans to announce soon."

Hot DIGGITY!!!  I had a feeling the Boston show was gonna be special, and worth traveling across the country for.  The 'Opera' House is gorgeous, and an unusual venue for DT --- so I'm sure we can all deduce from that what the surprise event is.  See ya'll -- row D Center Orchestra!!! 

Offline robbob

« Reply #579 on: January 08, 2014, 12:56:39 AM »
Obviously they'll open the concert with the False Awakening Suite and The Enemy Inside, but there's so many awesome possibilities on what they'll open the second set with.

I think these are definite possibilities:
The Glass Prison, Overture 1928/Strange Deja Vu, In the Presence of Enemies (part 1). All of these would really get the crowd hyped.

I hope they can find a way like others have said to include ACOS, as an encore would be great.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #580 on: January 08, 2014, 02:26:45 AM »
I'm expecting every song from DT12, but I wouldn't object if a different song was "rested" on each night, much as Rush did on the CA tour.

Beyond that, I'd love to see any song I haven't seen live (The Killing Hand?), but I expect these to be pretty thin on the ground. After that, I'm hoping they surprise me with something I couldn't predict (ACOS?), and personnaly I'd love to hear Sacrificed Sons and Burning My Soul again.

"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #581 on: January 08, 2014, 04:16:05 PM »
According to here: https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5862286/dream-theater-planting-seeds-for-album-no-13

Octavarium to end Set 1, Illumination Theory to end Set 2.  Problem solved.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #582 on: January 08, 2014, 04:24:16 PM »
We should be finding out one week from RIGHT NOW!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #583 on: January 08, 2014, 06:32:04 PM »

Or IT as the end of set two and ACOS/Octavarium as the encore, alternating on nights. They can still have a full 19-20 song set plus those as the encore (as i posted above). Having one of those and IT is nearly 50 minutes yes, but the concert will be 3 hours, so they have another 130 min to play their other music. Save 47 min for the rest of DT12 and you're left with 83 min to pick and choose from their catalog.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #584 on: January 08, 2014, 10:11:10 PM »

That's an abusive amount of music for the guys to handle in one tour.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #585 on: January 08, 2014, 11:37:12 PM »

That's an abusive amount of music for the guys to handle in one tour.

I mean, they COULD play two 18+ minute epics in one show, but history shows us that they typically do NOT do that. Sure there are longer encores they've played in the past in addition to playing the latest album epic - On the tours supporting Systematic Chaos, they closed their sets with "In The Presence Of Enemies", then played "Schmedley Wilcox", a 21 minute encore medley. And these were for shows that were only 2 hours long, and not "Evening With" shows (which have been 3+ hours long).

So, while not entirely IMPOSSIBLE, it's less likely since they rarely play two long epics in a single night.

HOWEVER, if they encore with their latest epic, as they did with "In The Name Of God" on the tour for Train Of Thought, they could do the same this time around and close their 2nd set (or their 1st set) with an epic. Honestly though, it would ONLY be either "Octavarium" or "A Change Of Seasons", IF they do do that.

However, considering the amount of material they've yet to play with their latest line-up and the appeal to play more of their back-catalog with this line-up, I doubt they'd take up 20+ minutes to play a SECOND epic when that time could be devoted to 2 or 3 other songs they've yet to play together on stage. Personally, I'd rather see 2 or 3 other songs played than either of those epics.

Now, if they did a shorter epic like "In The Name Of God", "The Ministry Of Lost Souls", or any of the longer tracks from ADTOE, then they'd still have plenty of time left in the set for more songs. Who knows...guess we'll see in a week or so!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #586 on: January 09, 2014, 08:40:25 AM »
I could see Illumination Theory and a shorter 'epic' like ITNOG or ToT being played consecutively at the end of the show.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #587 on: January 09, 2014, 10:40:32 AM »
Personally I think the encore will be shared between BITS and BAI  :tup

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #588 on: January 09, 2014, 11:20:41 AM »
Oh I hope not. I like both, but I can't see them working as encore tunes.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #589 on: January 09, 2014, 06:20:26 PM »
If BITS/BAI were to be played, i think they'd start the second set and end the first set, respectively. BAI could potentially be an encore though.

I don't see IT being the encore because i see it more as a concert closer with something else as the encore.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #590 on: January 09, 2014, 08:33:39 PM »
If BITS/BAI were to be played, i think they'd start the second set and end the first set, respectively. BAI could potentially be an encore though.

I can see both working as encores.  BAI works almost like Learnign to Live, and that has been an encore tune since inception.  Bridges has that long build up, which may be better suited as an opener, but I can still see it as an encore like Metropolis.  Of course, there are other more majestic songs I prefer as an encore (In the Name of God, Shattered Fortress)

I don't see IT being the encore because i see it more as a concert closer with something else as the encore.

I concur.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #591 on: January 09, 2014, 09:58:41 PM »

It's funny because I kind of see it working the other way around. It's been since the TOT tour that they've encored with a new song, being that album's closing epic "In The Name Of God", usually followed by "Metropolis Part 1". I think it's not impossible for them to encore with it, and it's got some long stretches of instrumental parts to give JLB some time to rest, especially after playing 2 long sets. His voice would be pretty beat by then, so a song with fewer lyrics would be good for him.

Also, a recent interview with the band recently said they would close with "Illumination Theory". Now, that COULD be taken as closing the whole show with it (being the encore), or possibly just closing the 2nd set, but I think they wouldn't have said it the way they did if they didn't mean the whole show, especially given how well-known and common having an encore is for them, let alone for MANY bands these days.

-Marc.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: January 09, 2014, 10:06:17 PM »
I still think they are going to close the second set with IT, and then begin the encore with Easter Egg and then go into the encore song(s)
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #593 on: January 10, 2014, 10:05:57 AM »
I still think they are going to close the second set with IT, and then begin the encore with Easter Egg and then go into the encore song(s)
I can see that. It'd be a great transition into WFS/LTL.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: January 10, 2014, 10:25:22 AM »
Or into Finally Free.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"