Author Topic: BC&SL Instrumental Disc...  (Read 3554 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: BC&SL Instrumental Disc...
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2013, 06:19:24 AM »
No, take most of the guitars out and leave some slight backing under the solos.  It's the same point as the vocals.

But much more limited in appeal imo. Anyone can sing their crummy little hearts out over a karaoke version, and anyone who plays an instrument can appreciate hearing the instruments behind verses without the vocals. And it works as a complete instrumental version of the song. It has appeal for everyone (in theory).

But if you take out the guitars, it's just a guitar backing track. You can't really listen to it on its own and enjoy it on that level.

Either way, I think it wasn't a great extra, but that would actually be a bit worse imo.

I think they should have stuck to bonus documentaries. :tup

I pretty much think that as it is without vocals.  But yes, it's a crap extra.  If they are going to do that, just give us stems so we can make our own and take out what we want.

I agree with that. The BCASL stems are the sole reason I bought the boxset, and I loved hearing all of the parts and messing around with them. If they'd released complete stems for the more recent albums, I would have bought whatever version they were in too.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2013, 07:09:17 AM »
Agreed, I would much rather have the stems than a "backing track" without solos or vocals. If I wanted to study the parts, the stems would be far more useful  ;D

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2013, 07:47:59 AM »
Lot of disdain for the cover disc. I have spun that one a lot and I really enjoy it. To each his own.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 05:36:12 AM by Tick »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2013, 07:56:57 AM »
I like the covers disc a lot, too.  I actually play the main disc less than either the covers or the instrumentals.

Offline adamack

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2013, 09:00:41 AM »
May be useless to some, but I can't explain how valuable they've been to me.

One of the best feelings in the world is playing the JP solo along with the instrumental at the end of TBOT.

Also, I play James' vocal melodies on my guitar. I've always enjoyed doing this with Wither.

Really no reason to complain about it...some find it invaluable, and it's not like it takes up much space...

Offline iamtheeviltwin

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2013, 12:34:01 PM »
I like the covers disc a lot, too.  I actually play the main disc less than either the covers or the instrumentals.

This, the instrumental disc is a delight when I want some DT as "sonic wallpaper" while I am doing other complicated tasks.  Several of the tracks on the cover disc I go back to far more often than the many of the tracks on the main disc.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2013, 12:38:08 PM »
Stems are cool. The instrumental disc is weird though.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2013, 01:27:10 PM »
I never really got the point of the instrumental discs, especially since they have the solos removed as well. You're essentially listening to incomplete pieces of music.  :-\

Which makes it possible to play your own solos over the music.  I don't know this for sure, but I think that's the point of that disc - to allow singers and guitarists a chance to learn the lead vocals and lead guitar parts. 

Offline LTE3

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2013, 05:49:46 PM »
I thought I was hallucinating listening to the instrumental cd, I'm listening to the Best of Times waiting for one of the Best (and most underrated) solos ever and it's not there. WTF! that disc is useless to me.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline adamack

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2013, 06:54:17 PM »
I never really got the point of the instrumental discs, especially since they have the solos removed as well. You're essentially listening to incomplete pieces of music.  :-\

Which makes it possible to play your own solos over the music.  I don't know this for sure, but I think that's the point of that disc - to allow singers and guitarists a chance to learn the lead vocals and lead guitar parts.

Precisely!

JP has hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of aspiring players who love learning his stuff and playing it.

Although a lot of it is hard to replicate perfectly, the challenge is still a fun one, and I guarantee you'll become a better guitar player if you try to tackle some of his work.  :metal

And I'm sure the same goes for singers.

Hell, you can even use the instrumentals to improvise your own vocal and guitar melodies. For that purpose alone, it makes a hell of a "jam track" experience.

I think the instrumental disc is perfect the way it is. For those who listen to it just for listening's sake, I can definitely understand wanting the solos to be present.

But for guitar or karaoke, it kicks ass!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2013, 07:09:44 PM »
I found it interesting to listen to once, but have no desire to relisten to it. 

Offline drod1985

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2013, 07:34:59 PM »
From the first time I heard ANTR it was my intent to use the instrumental disc to edit out Mike's terrible "Day after day, and night after night..." rap. Almost ruins the song for me.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2013, 10:33:51 AM »
I pretty much only use it when I want to work on my vocal technique and stuff, but having said that, I use it a LOT. Same with the ADTOE instrumental disc. I was extremely disappointed that RR didn't release an instrumental disc for DT12.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"