Author Topic: Along for the Ride Discussion Thread  (Read 104440 times)

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: "Along For The Ride" Stream
« Reply #280 on: September 09, 2013, 09:12:55 AM »
Cool song.   :tup
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
« Reply #281 on: September 09, 2013, 09:13:12 AM »
Yeah, that JM and JR part is absolutely a highlight for me. I think it will grow even more with listenings.
This story ends where it began.

me on lastfm

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #282 on: September 09, 2013, 09:13:51 AM »
Mike Portnoy's Spirit Carries On.. He's just still there..

Nothing new on the drums... MM :tdwn

Are you kidding me? ...

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #283 on: September 09, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »
Without commenting on the song yet, as I'm still absorbing it, I'm wondering if tomorrow it will be released on iTunes and whatnot in higher quality, like they did with TEI.

That's a good question, a lot of times bands only release one track ahead of the album for download and they just post a stream of another track or the actual album.  Not sure if that's what DT will do, but it seems like the trend is to have one single available for download prior to release.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #284 on: September 09, 2013, 09:15:29 AM »
I broke my headphones yesterday, so I'm listening to this out of just one channel. I'm not sure how much it's changing what I'm listening to, but I still dig it.

Are MM's bass hits triggered?

Offline farsight

« Reply #285 on: September 09, 2013, 09:18:07 AM »
Love the violas(?) in the intro. The arpeggios with the drumwork beneath and the synth solo with the bass are definite highlights.

Snare and toms sound really weird.

Overall, I think it poos all over DT's recent ballads. My body is ready for more cheese.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #286 on: September 09, 2013, 09:18:35 AM »

Are you kidding me? ...

Read the first line and then you'll have your answer.  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #287 on: September 09, 2013, 09:19:08 AM »
Everyting with MM is triggered. He is just so damn precise at drumming it sounds triggered!!

Full disclosure: I am no drummer and have no idea what I am talking about.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #288 on: September 09, 2013, 09:19:39 AM »

Are you kidding me? ...

No.. I'm not kidding YOU.. I don't even know you..

There's not innovation on the drums part.. Where's the new guy? I'm starting to hate that rythm.. Obviously I refer the one in the chorus (1:42)... Do another one dude!... At least a little bit different..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #289 on: September 09, 2013, 09:20:48 AM »
We have to remember the context of this song on the album.  It's a perfect song right before the epic.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #290 on: September 09, 2013, 09:23:29 AM »
Everyting with MM is triggered. He is just so damn precise at drumming it sounds triggered!!

Full disclosure: I am no drummer and have no idea what I am talking about.

Triggering is a mixing resource in which you use a waveform detector (in this case, drum hits) and use drum replacement on that hit. You use pre-recorded samples instead of the actual sound, sometimes used to cover up bad drum recordings or make the drums sound fuller. The only thing is that drums can sound somewhat robotic and lifeless (although there are some pretty darn fine triggering plug-ins out there nowadays, like Steven Slate's Trigger) after being triggered.

This is like my fifth time listening to the song and, I can happily say I'm beginning to digest the drum sound in here (I still don't love it, but it isn't as terrible as I thought it was at the beginning). I'm enjoying the song more and more with each listen.

Are you kidding me? ...

There's not innovation on the drums part.. Where's the new guy? I'm starting to hate that rythm.. Obviously I refer the one in the chorus (1:42)... Do another one dude!... At least a little bit different..
no u
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #291 on: September 09, 2013, 09:23:47 AM »
Same as Blob's initial reaction here : didn't like it much. The drums are not subdued enough, in sound I mean. Detracts from the rest of the song. And frankly JR, the solo sound is much too reminiscent of BTS. Will see how it grows on me once the album is released.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #292 on: September 09, 2013, 09:24:21 AM »

Are you kidding me? ...

The drumming is pretty intense for a ballad (IMO). You don't want to get too complicated and carried away, it will completely kill the songs vibe. I thought the drums' feel was perfect.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: September 09, 2013, 09:24:34 AM »
The song is cool, but i have to say this is probably the worst drum sound on a DT album. Sounds really triggered and out of place, no dynamics at all.

It's a pity really, because MM is doing a lot of cool things on this song.

Well said.  I'm shocked DT would think this sounded good.  It's honestly all I hear once the drums start and I can't enjoy the rest of the song.  I hope this changes for me as I listen more, but I have a feeling it won't.  DT are supposed to be masters of their instruments, but this gives the impression that Mangini needs computer assistance to get the job done.  This was a big mistake for the band to do the drums this way, IMO.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline matte.braso

« Reply #294 on: September 09, 2013, 09:24:57 AM »
the way the song develops kind of reminds me of Lifting Shadows off a dream...it also comes before the longest track on Awake..AFTR will serve as a nice break before the Epic :metal

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #295 on: September 09, 2013, 09:25:27 AM »

Are you kidding me? ...

Why the fuck does he have to innovate the drums in DT all of a sudden. MM is playing his heart out, it's been evident on the last two songs, that's what matters to me, not that he reinvents DT's drum section.

Offline (nothing)

« Reply #296 on: September 09, 2013, 09:27:24 AM »
This is a great tune. I feel that some people are reaaally over-analyzing stuff and completely miss the point.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #297 on: September 09, 2013, 09:28:36 AM »
Complaining about Mangini being too busy in this song seems odd since busy drumming is a staple in many of DT's songs with a similar vibe (somewhat rocking, melodic ballad-ish tune)

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #298 on: September 09, 2013, 09:29:16 AM »
It's a pretty cool song... maybe I still need to listen to it more. I do see what people mean about the drums, but it doesn't really bother me all that much. I also like the JR solo...

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #299 on: September 09, 2013, 09:30:38 AM »
This is a great tune. I feel that some people are reaaally over-analyzing stuff and completely miss the point.

The song is indeed very good, that is why i personally feel disappointed with the drum production, it just feels so artificial and over-processed that it detracts from the enjoyment.

Offline JoeG

• Engineering student by day, DTF word-spewer by night
« Reply #300 on: September 09, 2013, 09:30:49 AM »

Are you kidding me? ...

It's a ballad. Ballads are not known for drumming which pushes limits of technicality. When you think of Mike Portnoy's all time great songs, do you think of Another Day, Anna Lee, Through Her Eyes, or I Walk Beside You?

The drums fit the song very well.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #301 on: September 09, 2013, 09:31:23 AM »
Why the fuck does he have to innovate the drums in DT all of a sudden. MM is playing his heart out, it's been evident on the last two songs, that's what matters to me, not that he reinvents DT's drum section.

:lol hahahaha... So you're saying there are DT's established and immutable drum sections?...

'Cause that's not true.. MM doesn't fit on this song.. Actually it have been better without drums at all..

PS: This is just my opinion... Don't go nuts....
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #302 on: September 09, 2013, 09:33:03 AM »
I'm not going nuts, I'm just disagreeing with you, although it can be settled at "I think the drums nail it perfectly, where as you think quite differently"
All I can do is shrug.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #303 on: September 09, 2013, 09:34:17 AM »
OK song. Nothing special. Definitely got a TITL and BTS vibe. Hopefully the album is better than the two singles.

What I can say, though, is that the sound quality is way better than that of TEI, which means we don't have to worry too much for the album's overall quality.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #304 on: September 09, 2013, 09:35:44 AM »
So many complaints ::)

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #305 on: September 09, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »
I thought the song was pretty awesome, especially the beginning. I also really liked JR's solo. The sound for me is much less important than the notes being played (I like the sound anyway, though, so why not re-use it?). Not a big fan of the snare sound, but it's not so bad that it really detracts from the song.

Offline (nothing)

« Reply #306 on: September 09, 2013, 09:37:42 AM »

The song is indeed very good, that is why i personally feel disappointed with the drum production, it just feels so artificial and over-processed that it detracts from the enjoyment.

Wasn't referring as much to that as to the complaints about the Moog sound being reused or random comments I read on FB.

As for the drum sound, well, if you can listen to Images & Words :P... I personally don't mind but I get why others do.

Offline Filipe_metalhead

« Reply #307 on: September 09, 2013, 09:38:51 AM »
Jesus guys, relax. The drum sound really needed to be worked on. But it might be for the soundlcloud streaming. This is just a Snippet before the true sound quality (hope so...)

Mangini's work is actually DT's style. "Another Day" and "Innocence Faded" as well as other songs like "Misunderstood" are pretty worked on drums.

It doesn't matter. It's opinions!

Some guys have a positive opinion, others have a negative opinion. One thing in common We like DT! And we're hoping to be a great album!

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #308 on: September 09, 2013, 09:40:42 AM »
My favorite part of the song is when the chorus is sung for the last time. I love how LaBrie varies the melody in the last chorus, even though maybe it was a bit predictable.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 09:55:50 AM by RMGadelha »

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #309 on: September 09, 2013, 09:40:50 AM »

Nice Bass-Key section.. But JR is using the same BTS solo.. Just THE SAME.. JR  :tdwn.. JM  :tup

The rest: good enough...

I've come to the conclusion that we'll never get along

(for the ride lolol :footloose:)

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #310 on: September 09, 2013, 09:41:46 AM »
So many complaints ::)
kids these days....
I think this song will be a grower for most people. Nestled nicely before the epic, I think it's pretty neat.
also dat song Quality to song duration ratio is pretty damn good imo  :metal

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #311 on: September 09, 2013, 09:42:38 AM »
I liked the song. It's a little underwhelming, sure, but I'm sure that's just because it's out of the context of the album. After 7 songs of instrumental wizardry and cinematic scope, I'm sure this song will be a much needed breather before "teh epic."
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #312 on: September 09, 2013, 09:42:46 AM »
I'm already liking it. Not sure how it compares to TEI, since they're so different. All I can say is this should be a hell of an album

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #313 on: September 09, 2013, 09:43:53 AM »
My thought after one listen:

- Sounding VERY good, production wise.
- Boring song, did not really like.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #314 on: September 09, 2013, 09:45:27 AM »
Sounds like something I would hear on Images and Words :metal