Author Topic: Whatsername's Top 50 Songs: now with unnecessarily wordy explanations!  (Read 13287 times)

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
It's my turn! I should probably note from the get-go that I haven't listened to WDADU, so I haven't ranked any songs off that list yet. I'm not sure if any of my picks will be controversial or not, but I'll try to explain my reasoning and thought process.

Anyway, without further ado, I guess I'll begin!

50. Burning My Soul | Falling Into Infinity
The chill up my spine, can't get any colder, and you wonder why I can't smile

I love Falling Into Infinity. I think it’s the clearest mix of any Dream Theater album so far and I think it's really different and fun for them. While I enjoy this song, I don't feel it's the best song on the album. I like the bass and how prominent it is in the beginning. And then the guitar comes in and the drums. It feels a little restrained in the beginning though it picks up nicely in the chorus. "Twisting, turning" and stuff is nice. It just feels a bit simplistic for what we know Dream Theater is capable of. It's moody and eerie feel, which I love. The lyrics are solid and JLB sounds fantastic on this track as he always does. The solo is enjoyable, but I find it's a little drowned out by the drums. The point where the loud guitars drop out and it’s more or less James singing over Portnoy is really nice, and easily my favorite part of the song. Overall, a good song, but they have better. That's why it's only just cracked my top 50.

49. Sacrificed Sons | Octavarium
All praise their sacrificed sons

This is probably one of the only "political" songs from Dream Theater's catalog that I actually enjoy. Musically, I think it's a wonderful track. The audio clips at the beginning are really haunting and unnerving, so that's done well. And then when it goes silent but for the piano, just oh my God these guys have nailed this perfectly. And Labrie's voice is so so perfect on this track. He sounds absolutely amazing. There's this tenderness and sadness to his voice that is just incredible. And the predominance of the keys is such a nice touch. And then the guitar comes in but it isn't too heavy. It's still really atmospheric and haunting. So powerful.

And then the song picks up with the bass and now it sounds like a Dream Theater song again. I love the instrumental break here. And Jordan with his keys and that really strong bass thing going on. It's awesome. And then JP's wailing solo that morphs into the variation on the main theme. I think that's a bit of a trend at least on Octavarium. I haven't noticed that so much on their other albums, but maybe I'm not looking for it enough. Either way I think it adds a beautiful continuity that I really appreciate.

I love the last verse with the distorted guitar. It's really powerful and just :metal I can't explain it but this is the best part of the song without any doubt. Unfortunately, after that I'm kind of beginning to feel the song drags on a bit. I think if it had been kept under 10 minutes it would have benefited the song a lot. Just a bit shorter. Either way, still a really REALLY good song.

48. Breaking All Illusions | A Dramatic Turn of Events
Emerald thoughts flow through my consciousness

Dat riff! I love the intro riff. It sounds like Petrucci is bringing us on a journey. And then the string part. I love the synthy strings part that comes in in the intro... that makes me smile. And then it all gets quiet and we can hear Myung for a bit which always makes me happy. :biggrin: There isn't enough of his playing highlighted. I generally have a TON of trouble picking him out in the mix. I'm not a musician though, so that could definitely have something to do with it. And it's beautiful and anthemic and then it gets heavy and the guitars drive and it's a wonderful contrast. JR's little breakdown with the flute/pan pipe/whatever-it-is sounds is so fun and whimsical and his little piano flourishes are beautiful. And then Petrucci's guitars just ROAR and dance and it's a beautiful thing.

Easily my favorite section is the final verse to the end. James sounds beautiful here. There's not a ton of production or doubling of his vocals so you can hear him clearly. I adore his voice so I love when I can hear it. And the little ending is really beautifully done with the strings and Mangini's drums, although I think the atmospheric stuff could have cut out sooner. In fact, I think this song could have been trimmed a bit in general. I don’t think they needed both Bridges in the Sky and Breaking All Illusions to be over 10 minutes long, but that’s just my personal opinion. Breaking All Illusions is a beautiful song, but somewhere around 9 minutes I catch myself thinking, is this song still going? Which is never something I want to think about a song. If it had been trimmed down, this song would have skyrocketed to a much higher spot on my list. As it is it's near the end.
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Online JoeG

• Engineering student by day, DTF word-spewer by night
Re: Whatsername's Top 50 Songs: now with unnecessarily wordy explanations!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 06:52:25 PM »
Three good picks! Burning My Soul is underrated. It doesn't make my top 50, but it's a good straightforward rocker, and doesn't deserve the hate it gets. I love the slow build of the intro.

Sacrificed Sons and Breaking All Illusions are both far too low.

Offline 425

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 07:44:13 PM »
I agree with Joe, three good picks!

But be prepared for some serious hate about BMS.

I don't think it's a bad song, but I personal think the full (demo) arrangement is a whole level above the version that made the album

Sacrificed Sons is a great choice that I don't see on enough lists.

Breaking All Illusions is excellent and too low.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online JoeG

• Engineering student by day, DTF word-spewer by night
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 07:52:43 PM »
I don't think it's a bad song, but I personal think the full (demo) arrangement is a whole level above the version that made the album

Couldn't disagree more, the demo takes out the best part (the into build-up), and instead gives us an horribly abrupt transition from badass riffing to the most laid-back section of Hell's kitchen. The one change from the FII demos that dramatically improved the album in my opinion. Besides, Hell's Kitchen as a lead-in to Lines In The Sand works so, so well.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 08:02:00 PM »
Following.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline 425

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 08:07:52 PM »
Couldn't disagree more, the demo takes out the best part (the into build-up), and instead gives us an horribly abrupt transition from badass riffing to the most laid-back section of Hell's kitchen. The one change from the FII demos that dramatically improved the album in my opinion. Besides, Hell's Kitchen as a lead-in to Lines In The Sand works so, so well.

I should have disclaimered, I only recently got FII Demos so my opinion on BMS isn't completely formed yet, but the initial impression I've had is that the demos version has layers and diversity while the album version is straightforward metal (which isn't intrinsically bad, just not why I listen to DT) and doesn't really stand out against JLMB on the album.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 08:36:31 PM »
Not bad picks so far. :) I think BAI is hugely overrated, so I think it's just right where it is. :biggrin:

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 08:53:32 PM »
Not a huge fan of burning my soul, but I like sacrificed sons and BAI. And I totally agree with what you said about JM. I have a hard time hearing him on most songs. Will be following.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 09:00:16 PM »
Burning My Soul might be my least favorite DT track. But aside from that, good picks!  :metal
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 09:10:01 PM »
Not bad picks so far. :) I think BAI is hugely overrated
:hifive:
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Whatsername

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 09:33:24 PM »
Yeah BMS just squeaked on. And I don't know what it is. BAI I think is a good song but I really can't listen to it or get into it, so that's why I put it so low.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 11:03:42 PM »
I rank SS similarly and BMS is a decent song although it didn't make my top 50. BAI is a top 10 DT song for me though.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 12:03:07 AM »
I would put Breaking All Illusions higher. But this is not my list.

Will be following.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 06:14:29 AM »
Oh, well, BAI is some 44 places higher in my top 50, but at least you agree that the song is indeed great. :D
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 06:21:23 AM »
I just came here for the unnecessarily wordy explantions.

I fully agree with you on FII having the clearest mix; Awake is also very good though. BMS is a really cool song. Sacrificed Sons is also really good, but I don't think it's too long. BAI is also not too long, it's an epic song! One of the best on ADTOE.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 06:22:47 AM »
I'm also curious to see her list since she's a relatively new fan, and it should be quite interesting to compare her list to the average of the longtimers'.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 06:25:38 AM »
I would put Breaking All Illusions higher. But this is not my list.

Will be following.

Yeah, it's Top 10 for sure IMHO.

I'll follow this list.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 07:52:26 AM »
I love Falling Into Infinity. I think it’s the clearest mix of any Dream Theater album so far
This is most certainly true.

Interesting start.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Whatsername

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 01:57:19 PM »
Yeah I'm a very new fan, so I have a feeling in a few months this list will be entirely different. I also run into issues where  there's a lot of songs I love so it gets really difficult to rank them above each other. :biggrin:

Offline Ruba

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 01:36:42 AM »
I recommend checking out WDADU, some hate it, some love it, but you won't know the camp you belong in, if you don't try. And if you don't like Dominici or can't get over the crappy production, check out live versions with James.

Anyways. BMS is underrated, and it's always nice to see that someone else likes it too. All three songs are about in the same places in my ranks.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 01:39:42 AM »
I recommend checking out WDADU, some hate it, some love it, but you won't know the camp you belong in, if you don't try. And if you don't like Dominici or can't get over the crappy production, check out live versions with James.

Anyways. BMS is underrated, and it's always nice to see that someone else likes it too. All three songs are about in the same places in my ranks.

Just get the Reunite one  :tup
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline 425

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 04:35:12 AM »
I would say get Reunite and Live at the Marquee, just because The Killing Hand on WDADRU cannot touch Another Hand/The Killing Hand on LATM. James wasn't having the greatest night when they recorded WDADRU (and it was toward the end of a long show), which doesn't detract from it too much IMO, but it's definitely worth it to have the better version of TKH (and for that matter, A Fortune In Lies).
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Whatsername

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 09:07:23 AM »
Interesting to hear that my views on BAI are generally not shared by everyone. :lol I wonder if anyone will end up wanting to take up pitchforks by the time this list is done. Anyway, more updates because this is fun and I like getting these out there!

47. The Enemy Inside | Dream Theater
These suffocating memories are etched upon my mind

I find it really impressive that a song I've barely heard for a month has already cracked my top 50, but wow, I really really enjoy this song. If I had any doubts about Dream Theater's attitude or mentality for the next album, whether they might play it a bit "safe" like I feel they did with ADTOE, this song quieted those concerns. And it didn't just quiet them. It smashed them to pieces with the face-melting power of The Enemy Inside. This song just grabs me from the beginning and doesn't let go. I love love LOVE how Mangini sounds on this track. Amazing. And when the main riff kicks in for the intro, oh my GOD. I cannot help but just bang my head to this. I can only imagine the energy levels this will ignite when it's played during the show. :metal Yeah there's a bit of artifacting (not even sure if that's the proper term) on some of the snare hits during Mike's drum rolls, which detracts from the experience a bit, but I only notice it right before the first verse.

I happen to like DT when they do metal, and I think this is as solid a metal song as they've released. There’s an energy and an excitement to this that was lacking on Train of Thought, and that gets me really excited. And I love JR's contributions to the song. He seems to be more in the forefront than what I remember of ToT. I wish his keys were mixed louder in the section with the wah-wah guitars, but overall it works great.

Speaking of sounds/mixing, I love Mangini's snare sound. It's a nice fat, meaty sound which I think works really well with this track. If it was lighter and crisper I think it'd get lost in everything else. As it is it's solid and is present regardless of the insanity happening around it. And Petrucci's guitar sounds rich and chocolatey and delicious. His solo after JR's little honky-tonk/ragtime/whatever-we-call-it breakdown sounds incredible. I love the tone of the guitar. And JLB gives a great performance and I love the last note. Some people have said the song isn't memorable and they can't remember the melodies at all. I've woken up the past 3 days with different portions of the song stuck in my head, so I find it's quite memorable to me. A little less creative musically perhaps than some of their other songs, but a solid fun song that I can’t wait to see live.

46. Never Enough | Octavarium
You didn't like the way my blood spilled on your brand new floor

Here we have the first of my tracks from Octavarium, and definitely not my last. There's a super cool intro here and it builds up into the drums and the guitars and it’s like okay, this song is rocking. I don’t normally like effects on JLB's voice but it works on the verses here. It adds to the sort of moody effect they’re going for here. And he sounds so good when the chorus kicks in. I love his higher registry and I feel it sounds great here. And his emphasis on the line "everything is never enough" is fantastic. It's angry and resentful and sexy and I think it's a great performance from him. A problem I run into is that during the verses, all the rest of the instruments sort of mush together in my ears. I have trouble picking anything out particularly. Things clear up in the chorus though with JP's strong chords cutting through.

Jordan gets his moment in the spotlight, which I love every time. And JP's solo is so cool. The melody is vaguely familiar... It reminds me of a video game but I can’t put my finger on the one I'm thinking of. I think it'd work well for a fight sequence. Either way, great solo and it keeps the energy going into the final chorus. All around a fun song. Not one I necessarily go out of my way to listen to, but it works fantastically in the framework of this album. It’s a bit formulaic for Dream Theater, but it proves that even when they’re doing a by-the-numbers track it's still a load of fun and really really good.

45. Bridges In The Sky | A Dramatic Turn of Events
Crossing bridges in the sky, on a journey to renew my life. Shaman take my hand

Okay, I'll admit it. The intro to this song terrified me the first time I heard it. I was half-asleep and my Dream Theater playlist was going on my laptop, and then THIS song came on. Needless to say I jumped awake and in the resulting flail almost knocked my laptop off my bed. But I'm back to listen to it again, with a nice stable desktop computer this time, so no accidents this time. It's got a really mystical feel and sets up the beautiful vocalization that honestly sounds like it could have been composed by Howard Shore… which is an amazing compliment for me to give because the Lord of the Rings soundtracks are my absolute scores ever composed in the history of ever. But we don't dwell there for long because the rest of the band kick the song into high gear, and from this point on I go from liking to loving this song.

James sounds amazing on this track. Which isn't surprising for me to say, since I probably will say some variation of this on almost every track on this list (you have been warned). But I really REALLY love his voice on the pre-choruses (again, no idea if these are the technical terms). And then we hit the chorus and I'm sad because they keep doubling his vocals. Or maybe it's JP singing backing vocals? I don't think it is. Maybe someone can clarify this for me. Either way, I don't like it as much as some of their older tracks with backing vocals. I really love JP's backing vocals and I honestly liked MP's too, but when they do this effect on James I lose something of the clear tone that I love so much.

I also don't like Mangini's high hat during the choruses. It's a bit too prominent for me, especially since I can't hear the meat of the rest of his drum performance. This was the first song I really felt like I had to turn the track up to hear Mike's performance, and I'm glad to see it appears to have been fixed in DT12. James with "shamaaan takeee myyy HAAANDDDD" gives me chills every single time. I know I'm nit-picking, but this song is really strong so I'm noticing these minor little things. I really love this chorus. It's uplifting and inspiring and just :heart

And then the instrumental break, with the lovely strings and keys in the background! I love being able to pick out Jordan's stuff. Sometimes I feel like he either gets lost in the sauce, or I'm not tuned enough to hear it, but in this case I have no problem hearing his parts which makes me really happy. And I love he has an actual solo. Him and Petrucci trading off is such a cool moment and it adds a nice structure to the instrumental part, which transitions back into the chorus beautifully. Definitely an epic song, but like I said earlier, with Breaking All Illusions also being over 10 minutes, one of these two should have been trimmed. But I prefer this song at the length it is, so my vote still goes for trimming Breaking All Illusions.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 10:03:22 AM »
Oh man, great list so far, and glad to see Never Enough get some love <3
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 10:03:38 AM »
Yes, James sounds incredible on BITS.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 10:36:32 AM »
Never Enough is nowhere near my top 50. TEI is a good song but is also not in my top 50, though I agree with some of your points (MM's fat snare sound, JR's contributions, JLB's vocals). BITS is really amazing and is in my top 20. I agree fully with you about the doubling of James' vocals, but they are still amazing and even better live.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 11:49:01 AM »
Never Enough! :2metal:

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 12:29:01 PM »
Hmm. I can't comment in The Enemy Inside, as I still haven't heard it.

I actually really like Never Enough, it's a great song and the lyrics don't bother me.

Bridges In The Sky is good, but was always on the lower half of ADTOE for me.

Also, I am expecting either You Not Me or Prophets of War in the Top 10.

Offline Whatsername

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2013, 12:31:15 PM »
You'll just have to stick around and see. :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 12:47:55 PM »
You have nice write-ups, but wow BMS and BAI are in odd places for me!  :) Personally I wish BAI would never end. Not a song I think of when it comes to which ones could use some "chopping".

Offline Whatsername

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2013, 12:53:33 PM »
:lol I'm glad to hear I have nice write-ups. I began to wonder if I over-promised with the thread title.

Offline 425

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2013, 12:56:31 PM »
BITS is a perfect choice for this position.

I love Never Enough. Great instrumentation from JP and JR in a somewhat different than usual style.

I've only heard TEI 3 times, so it's too early for me to say something definitive about it.

Oh, and yes, your write-ups are quite interesting.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2013, 01:42:28 PM »
Never Enough is underrated, it would probably crack my top 50. I love the chorus chord progression, and how it just drives through. TEI is great of course, and Bridges would probably be a top 20 for me. Turning out to be an interesting list :)
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline iamtheeviltwin

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2013, 02:53:16 PM »
BITS is about 44 places too low and BMS is about 50 places too high.  Nice list and write-ups so far.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2013, 07:43:50 PM »
right now I'd say TEI should be higher, but I don't think it's fair to say that after only 10 or so listens. Good placement on Never Enough and BITS.