Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 909655 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - COVER ART/TRACK LIST on p. 5
« Reply #6580 on: September 11, 2013, 08:17:58 AM »
For some reason I feel more positively about the album than I did 15 minutes ago. I'm very changeable.  :facepalm:
Along for the Ride is less than 5 minutes long and I started to feel more positively about the album in that time when I listened to the song for the first time :D

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #6581 on: September 11, 2013, 08:20:33 AM »
Allow me to ask some tricky prog questions. Firstly, Dream Theater and Fates Warning are releasing new albums. If you had both on the same day, which one would you listen to first and why?

I've actually already heard the new Dream Theater and it's awesome.
(Charlie Griffiths, Haken)

I would listen to the FW album first. Reasons: It's their first album with monster drummer Bobby Jarzombek and it's their first album in 8 years. Jim Matheos also happens to be one of my all time favorite musicians (probably ranking higher than JP) since, imo, his lyrics and music quality haven't declined. Love what he does in OSI and what he did with the music in Arch/Matheos. APSOG is simply a masterpiece musically and conceptually. Also, I think this could be a do or die album for FW. That 8 year hiatus and touring sporadically is, imo again, killing the band. I don't know, personally FW has been a very multifaceted band. If you listen to all of their albums, they are so different from each other (except Parallels and Inside Out),  you could say that they are different bands.

As far as not choosing the DT album, well, with DT I kind of know what to expect. Reading the first reviews, it seems like this album is going to sound a bit different from their previous works...which is not a bad thing. I listened to their singles and both of them got me pumped, but Firefly (FW's single) sounded more interesting as of now.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6582 on: September 11, 2013, 10:53:34 AM »
Oh, well, one more clue :D

For some reason I feel more positively about the album than I did 15 minutes ago. I'm very changeable.  :facepalm:

I do felt more positively too about the album after listening to it yesterday....  ;D (inb4 doubts and terror: i happend to attend a listening party by RoadRunner italy)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #6583 on: September 11, 2013, 11:01:31 AM »
I do felt more positively too about the album after listening to it yesterday....  ;D (inb4 doubts and terror: i happend to attend a listening party by RoadRunner italy)

Thats great, cool experience I'm sure! Care to share any thoughts?

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #6584 on: September 11, 2013, 11:02:58 AM »
Is there plans for a new forum skin when the album comes out in 13 days?
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6585 on: September 11, 2013, 11:55:08 AM »
Is there plans for a new forum skin when the album comes out in 13 days?
Perhaps.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #6587 on: September 11, 2013, 12:00:49 PM »
It's about time he gets a guitar world cover story!

You think they let him keep that throne after the shoot? hahaha.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6588 on: September 11, 2013, 12:02:43 PM »
Brace yourselves :hefdaddy
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6589 on: September 11, 2013, 12:03:06 PM »
You think they let him keep that throne after the shoot? hahaha.

They didn't give to him for the shoot. It's Petrucci's throne from home.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #6590 on: September 11, 2013, 12:06:09 PM »
I have noticed that cross in a recent interview? Is it something new? I can't remember seeing it before.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #6591 on: September 11, 2013, 12:06:51 PM »
Love the lens flare too. xD

Reminds me of the DT12 cover lens flare speculation.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #6592 on: September 11, 2013, 12:33:30 PM »
That cover is both metal as fuck and absolutely hilarious :metalol:

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #6593 on: September 11, 2013, 12:45:19 PM »
for those who aren't familiar with the books or TV show, the GW cover is a play on 'the iron throne' from Game of Thrones (a song of ice and fire).

Offline farsight

« Reply #6594 on: September 11, 2013, 01:08:19 PM »
If you're only seeing only the bottom part of the picture, it makes it seem like JP is sitting in an outhouse  :lol I imagine pooing in leather pants in a public toilet is a downright horrible experience.

And I think the JP13 is his best looking guitar since THE Picasso. I've never liked JP's Ernie Balls but this one looks really tempting.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6595 on: September 11, 2013, 01:11:21 PM »

Sure, even if most of the details, about how the songs are composed, have been very well expressed  by Noxon.
I can say i did enjoy it a lot, i think it sounds really more contemporary than ADTOE did (an album i'm still listening very often)... It is indeed a wall of sound, but in a good way to me. I think, but it was a shared opinion among us who were there, as we even managed to give it a second listen, that The Bigger Picture is one of the most beatiful songs DT have ever written. To me it sounded perfect from start to finish.
It's very clear, throughout the album, that JP reeeeally like to play with MM.
I didn't find any real weak track, maybe just a couple didn't click with me immediatly (something that clearly means nothing having heard to them just once).
During a part of IT i wrote on the back of the paper with the setlist "finally JLB!!" and i showed it to the other folks there who were as impressed as i was: this does not mean at all that during the album he doesn't shine. He does, but in another way, singing beatifully in his mid range. But that part... just, wow.
I think it will be very well received from guys who have the same enthusiasm as DT are showing on this album. I think this album brings with it all the energy that who attended one of their last tour show have seen and have underlined.
I know it's not that much, but noxon review was quite exhaustive as far as what each song has in it: from that to how this album is good it's of course all a matter of tastes. And, again, to me it really is.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 01:28:39 PM by DreamerTV »

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6596 on: September 11, 2013, 03:20:06 PM »
I think the JP13 is his best looking guitar since THE Picasso. I've never liked JP's Ernie Balls but this one looks really tempting.

I agree about this being one of the nicest looking EBMM JP guitars. For me it's simply due to the fact they didn't ruin it with the gaudy "Family Ball Reserve" inlay at 12.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #6597 on: September 11, 2013, 03:28:46 PM »

Sure, even if most of the details, about how the songs are composed, have been very well expressed  by Noxon.
I can say i did enjoy it a lot, i think it sounds really more contemporary than ADTOE did (an album i'm still listening very often)... It is indeed a wall of sound, but in a good way to me. I think, but it was a shared opinion among us who were there, as we even managed to give it a second listen, that The Bigger Picture is one of the most beatiful songs DT have ever written. To me it sounded perfect from start to finish.
It's very clear, throughout the album, that JP reeeeally like to play with MM.
I didn't find any real weak track, maybe just a couple didn't click with me immediatly (something that clearly means nothing having heard to them just once).
During a part of IT i wrote on the back of the paper with the setlist "finally JLB!!" and i showed it to the other folks there who were as impressed as i was: this does not mean at all that during the album he doesn't shine. He does, but in another way, singing beatifully in his mid range. But that part... just, wow.
I think it will be very well received from guys who have the same enthusiasm as DT are showing on this album. I think this album brings with it all the energy that who attended one of their last tour show have seen and have underlined.
I know it's not that much, but noxon review was quite exhaustive as far as what each song has in it: from that to how this album is good it's of course all a matter of tastes. And, again, to me it really is.

Holy mother of... I've lost the count of how many times I've read or heard people citing JLB's amazing performance on that certain part. I'm getting more and more anxious to hear The Illumination Theory.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #6598 on: September 11, 2013, 03:54:24 PM »
On my way home from the fanclub listening party we arranged in Oslo. About 30 people showed up. We hung out for a bit listening to some assorted dt related music, drinking a few beers before I started the album. I looked around the room, and people were floored. There were many awesome reactions, and I was fun to see people react to the same sections I really liked.

After completing the album, we had a long discussion. Some of the people had read my review but most had not. The funny thing was that a lot of my sentiments were repeated by these people, such as my comments about the mix and about James' performance and melodies.

Overall it was received quite differently. Some people thought the first half was good but the second fell flat, others felt it was the last song that truly shone. Some liked it instantly, others felt it would need more listens. Overall the reception was pretty darn positive. None of them put the bigger picture as their fav track - most said it, surrender to reason and looking glass. Overall, fun times were had.

Offline ronrule

« Reply #6599 on: September 11, 2013, 04:01:06 PM »
Any good vocal harmonies on this album or is it just a bunch of barely-there, reverbed-out stuff in the background? Starting to wonder if these weren't something MP specifically fought for (even if there were James doubling himself).

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6600 on: September 11, 2013, 04:02:26 PM »
On my way home from the fanclub listening party we arranged in Oslo. About 30 people showed up. We hung out for a bit listening to some assorted dt related music, drinking a few beers before I started the album. I looked around the room, and people were floored. There were many awesome reactions, and I was fun to see people react to the same sections I really liked.

After completing the album, we had a long discussion. Some of the people had read my review but most had not. The funny thing was that a lot of my sentiments were repeated by these people, such as my comments about the mix and about James' performance and melodies.

Overall it was received quite differently. Some people thought the first half was good but the second fell flat, others felt it was the last song that truly shone. Some liked it instantly, others felt it would need more listens. Overall the reception was pretty darn positive. None of them put the bigger picture as their fav track - most said it, surrender to reason and looking glass. Overall, fun times were had.

A jealous guy writes this. Shame you didn't have it tomorrow, I will be driving through Olso then and could have found you and snuck in.  :coolio

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #6601 on: September 11, 2013, 04:05:53 PM »
Which way are you going?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6602 on: September 11, 2013, 04:07:29 PM »
North, to Hafjell.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #6603 on: September 11, 2013, 05:04:21 PM »
Ah, that's too bad, I live west. ;)

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6604 on: September 11, 2013, 07:00:19 PM »
None of them put the bigger picture as their fav track

Argh, at this point we need to make a bet on how well this song will be received!  ;D (not a real bet with money, you know austerity and stuff :))

Anyway, glad to read your listening party went out that well and the album have received a good reaction!

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #6605 on: September 11, 2013, 07:08:49 PM »

Argh, at this point we need to make a bet on how well this song will be received!  ;D (not a real bet with money, you know austerity and stuff :))

Anyway, glad to read your listening party went out that well and the album have received a good reaction!

I'm really curious now. What stands out the most for you in The Bigger Picture? Is JP's solo Godly? James' performance?

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6606 on: September 11, 2013, 08:06:22 PM »

I'm really curious now. What stands out the most for you in The Bigger Picture? Is JP's solo Godly? James' performance?

As i said, it just a matter of tastes. I did find it perfect from start to finish, and i really liked the ending part with a guitar riff reminding something like Coldplay "Chinese Sleep Chant" (take this with a grain of salt, as i may be reeeealy imprecise). I liked the chorus, the guitar aggressiveness that brings to the chorus. As for now it's really all i can say, 'cause i did listen to it just twice.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #6607 on: September 11, 2013, 08:17:00 PM »
Anything DT "like Coldplay" is sure to be a disastrous fail. But I'm inclined to believe you since a recent review said the track was sure to be divisive.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6608 on: September 11, 2013, 08:43:12 PM »
Anything DT "like Coldplay" is sure to be a disastrous fail. But I'm inclined to believe you since a recent review said the track was sure to be divisive.

I used that reference because it was the first thing i thought about, but i could have used some others, and only to describe the kind of melody, and by a certain degree the sound, that the guitar make. It's not the case where all the section sounds like that song.

And for me, no: that song won't be that divisive. It will be liked by almost everyone, it's just a matter of how much each of us will like it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 08:50:34 PM by DreamerTV »

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #6609 on: September 11, 2013, 08:51:12 PM »

I used that reference because it was the first thing i thought about, but i could have used some others, and only to describe the kind of melody, and by a certain degree the sound, that the guitar make. It's not the case where all the section sound like that song.

And for me, no: that song won't be that divisive. It will be liked by almost everyone, it's just a matter of how much each of us will like it.

I see. Do you remember anything about the guitar solo? (If there's a noteworthy one).

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6610 on: September 11, 2013, 08:58:25 PM »

I used that reference because it was the first thing i thought about, but i could have used some others, and only to describe the kind of melody, and by a certain degree the sound, that the guitar make. It's not the case where all the section sound like that song.

I see. Do you remember anything about the guitar solo? (If there's a noteworthy one).

Eh, i remember there's a little and simple slow one, which i really really liked, but i can't really remember if it evolve in something bigger. Sorry :(
But the album got some great guitar solo moments, that's for sure.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #6611 on: September 12, 2013, 09:04:42 AM »
Dream Theater - Creativity and Productivity Pt. 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOp9tTMSE-A&feature=youtu.be&a

Can anyone be so kind as to tell me if Along for the Ride is heard anywhere in this video? I don't care about The Enemy Inside, but I haven't listened to AFTR yet.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6612 on: September 12, 2013, 09:09:41 AM »
Dream Theater - Creativity and Productivity Pt. 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOp9tTMSE-A&feature=youtu.be&a

Can anyone be so kind as to tell me if Along for the Ride is heard anywhere in this video? I don't care about The Enemy Inside, but I haven't listened to AFTR yet.

Just TEI behind the entire video. You're fine.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #6613 on: September 12, 2013, 09:17:51 AM »
Thanks Blob :)
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6614 on: September 12, 2013, 09:30:34 AM »
James looks really tired when John is really excited when talking about this theme..
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E