Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 911937 times)

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
Re: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - COVER ART/TRACK LIST on p. 5
« Reply #5425 on: August 15, 2013, 08:28:10 AM »
We could also move this to the setlist prediction thread...

That would make sense. But I'm used to the Concerts forum getting ignored  :sadpanda:

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5426 on: August 15, 2013, 08:29:32 AM »
Not by me  :angel:

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #5427 on: August 15, 2013, 09:00:43 AM »
Oh man, any of those songs would be killer. I've seen Blind Faith before, but I wasn't a true DT fan at that time, it was only my first concert seeing them and I had nowhere near all their material, nor did I think of Blind Faith so highly as I do now :biggrin: DO IT JAMES
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #5428 on: August 15, 2013, 09:17:58 AM »
Interviewer: "You're releasing a new album in a couple of weeks...."

Oh of only that were true!  :loser:

Scarred or TTT with MM!  :metal

That interview lost my attention half way through, ended up skipping through the rest.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #5429 on: August 15, 2013, 10:10:14 AM »
There are some pretty tough vocal section in TTT and Scarred. Be careful what you wish for James . . .

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
« Reply #5430 on: August 15, 2013, 10:13:57 AM »
Interviewer: "You're releasing a new album in a couple of weeks...."

Oh of only that were true!  :loser:

That interview lost my attention half way through, ended up skipping through the rest.

THIS! :squee: I would die!

Edit: Incidentally, that is my new favorite emote and I will have to use it constantly.

There are some pretty tough vocal section in TTT and Scarred. Be careful what you wish for James . . .

True, but from the live performances I've heard from the ADTOE tour, I think James could pull it off still. :metal
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5431 on: August 15, 2013, 10:16:30 AM »

Yeah, I picked up on that as well.  It would be cool if they could figure out a way to do the full version of TTT and do it justice.  Not having it on an official release seems like a glaring omission.  Interesting that he mentioned Scarred.  JP has gone on record a few times as saying he doesn't really like playing it live.  And although they've attempted a couple of times now, whenever it shows up on a live recording, it just isn't good.  I really wish we could get a solid version on a live album.

Oh, and he also mentioned Octavarium!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #5432 on: August 15, 2013, 10:23:28 AM »
Oh, and he also mentioned Octavarium!

This. Everything else comes second.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #5433 on: August 15, 2013, 10:29:21 AM »
I will explode if they play Octavarium on this tour.  I was doubtful they would squeeze it in because of Illumination Theory, but I think it could fit as an encore -- they've done 20 minute encores before (Schmedley Wilcox comes to mind immediately).  Alternatively, if they take the ballsy route and open the first set with the album in its entirety, then that leaves the 2nd set entirely open for any of the songs JLB named.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5434 on: August 15, 2013, 10:43:08 AM »
I will explode if they play Octavarium on this tour.  I was doubtful they would squeeze it in because of Illumination Theory, but I think it could fit as an encore -- they've done 20 minute encores before (Schmedley Wilcox comes to mind immediately).  Alternatively, if they take the ballsy route and open the first set with the album in its entirety, then that leaves the 2nd set entirely open for any of the songs JLB named.

It's ballsy, but it's also not very smart, IMO. Spreading new and old songs equally throughout the set makes the set more balanced and reduces the risk of people who don't like one or the other from being bored for too long.  But if they did two longer epics like 8VM and Illumination Theory, I think the likelihood is that they would do something like use 8VM to close out the first set before intermission, and then use Illumination Theory to close out the second set.  That would make the most sense to me.  Then again, this is a band that has made a career out of defying conventional wisdom for how to create set lists, so...  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5435 on: August 15, 2013, 10:46:35 AM »
It's ballsy, but it's also not very smart, IMO. Spreading new and old songs equally throughout the set makes the set more balanced and reduces the risk of people who don't like one or the other from being bored for too long. But if they did two longer epics like 8VM and Illumination Theory, I think the likelihood is that they would do something like use 8VM to close out the first set before intermission, and then use Illumination Theory to close out the second set.  That would make the most sense to me.  Then again, this is a band that has made a career out of defying conventional wisdom for how to create set lists, so...  :lol

I totally agree with spreading out old and new material.  When I first heard the new tour would be "An Evening With" my first thought was: "Whoa they should play the new album straight through as the first set before the intermission!"  But then after thinking about it, I realized what you said above.  A better constructed set that would speak to their entire audience, new fans and old, would probably be a consistent mix of old and new songs.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #5436 on: August 15, 2013, 10:48:04 AM »
  Alternatively, if they take the ballsy route and open the first set with the album in its entirety

I don't know about this. I'd love to hear the album in it's entirety within a set, but I definitely prefer it to be mixed in among older songs. If they play two sets, one of which is just the new album, it kinda ruins the suspense of "what are they gonna play next?"
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #5437 on: August 15, 2013, 11:10:25 AM »

It's ballsy, but it's also not very smart, IMO. Spreading new and old songs equally throughout the set makes the set more balanced and reduces the risk of people who don't like one or the other from being bored for too long.  But if they did two longer epics like 8VM and Illumination Theory, I think the likelihood is that they would do something like use 8VM to close out the first set before intermission, and then use Illumination Theory to close out the second set.  That would make the most sense to me.  Then again, this is a band that has made a career out of defying conventional wisdom for how to create set lists, so...  :lol

I'm not sure playing the entire album in order would be a tremendously good idea either, but it's certainly a possibility at this point (the whole band seems tremendously proud of the album, Mangini said he hopes the band plays "every note" on the upcoming tour, etc.).  And I'm sure the fans couldn't be too upset, since this is a fanbase that reacted negatively when the band didn't play "enough" of ADTOE on the first few shows of that tour. :lol  I for one wouldn't be upset, assuming the entire album is as good as the single.

Alternatively, if they take the ballsy route and open the first set with the album in its entirety

I don't know about this. I'd love to hear the album in it's entirety within a set, but I definitely prefer it to be mixed in among older songs. If they play two sets, one of which is just the new album, it kinda ruins the suspense of "what are they gonna play next?"

I think the opposite is true, actually.  There are a few things about the setlist that we pretty much know already (FAS is going to open the set, The Enemy Inside will probably follow, Illumination Theory will probably close out the 2nd set, and something like 75%+ of the new album will be played, given how the band usually organizes its setlists).  If the band chooses to play the whole album in the first set, then the second set and encore will be completely unpredictable.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #5438 on: August 15, 2013, 12:01:53 PM »

THIS! :squee: I would die!

Edit: Incidentally, that is my new favorite emote and I will have to use it constantly.

True, but from the live performances I've heard from the ADTOE tour, I think James could pull it off still. :metal

Dat emoticon....!

I would love to see TTT, but at the same time the stupid perfectionist part of my brain would be disappointed if he doesn't sing the second verse. And it seems pretty likely that he still wouldn't...His voice is pretty good these days, but nowhere near as agile. In fact his voice has never really been the particularly agile type, it's just that back in '92 he could pull it off cause everything else about his voice was amazing :P

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #5439 on: August 15, 2013, 12:32:08 PM »

I think this would be the best way to do it because to close those 2 sets with those epics is just amazing.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Whatsername

« Reply #5440 on: August 15, 2013, 12:37:30 PM »

I think this would be the best way to do it because to close those 2 sets with those epics is just amazing.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #5441 on: August 15, 2013, 12:42:53 PM »
Dear JLB, please don't give up on persuading the others to play Trial Of Tears, as that song is heavenly.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #5442 on: August 15, 2013, 12:45:08 PM »
Dear JLB, please don't give up on persuading the others to play Trial Of Tears, as that song is heavenly.

I'd love to see this played live. This is one of the best songs off of FIF and I first heard it via Live at Budokan... An amazing performance!
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline Whatsername

« Reply #5443 on: August 15, 2013, 12:56:26 PM »

I'd love to see this played live. This is one of the best songs off of FIF and I first heard it via Live at Budokan... An amazing performance!

This. My life would be complete if they played ToT and 8VM. :heart :heart :heart

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #5444 on: August 15, 2013, 01:23:29 PM »

This. My life would be complete if they played ToT and 8VM. :heart :heart :heart

Agreed. I haven't had the chance to see Octavarium live yet. That'd be such an awesome treat!
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline Whatsername

« Reply #5445 on: August 15, 2013, 01:41:18 PM »
Agreed. I haven't had the chance to see Octavarium live yet. That'd be such an awesome treat!

I haven't seen Dream Theater live yet, but that would make my first experience heavenly.

Offline JDW89

« Reply #5446 on: August 15, 2013, 01:42:02 PM »
Anyone have a hi-res picture of the album cover art for a desktop background?

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #5447 on: August 15, 2013, 02:50:38 PM »

I haven't seen Dream Theater live yet, but that would make my first experience heavenly.

:omg: If your first DT concert is gonna be on this tour you're really in for a treat! Presuming that the sets are going to be as awesome as everything seems to point to.

Offline Whatsername

« Reply #5448 on: August 15, 2013, 02:52:25 PM »

:omg: If your first DT concert is gonna be on this tour you're really in for a treat! Presuming that the sets are going to be as awesome as everything seems to point to.

I just became an actual fan in the last couple months. I've known about them since Rock Band 2 came out because I played Panic Attack, but I didn't actually become a fan until April. :blush

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #5449 on: August 15, 2013, 02:53:39 PM »

I just became an actual fan in the last couple months. I've known about them since Rock Band 2 came out because I played Panic Attack, but I didn't actually become a fan until April. :blush

Oh noooooo, a Rock Band fan..... :lol At least you became a real DT fan! I know lots of people who are like "Oh, yeah, I know that band! Theyyy played Panic Attack, right? It was in Rock Band. What else do they play, again?" -___-

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5450 on: August 15, 2013, 02:55:24 PM »

Train of thought and Octavarium in full ? That's a long set ;D

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #5451 on: August 15, 2013, 02:56:26 PM »
Oh noooooo, a Rock Band fan..... :lol At least you became a real DT fan! I know lots of people who are like "Oh, yeah, I know that band! Theyyy played Panic Attack, right? It was in Rock Band. What else do they play, again?" -___-

Hey, any awareness is better than no awareness. Before you know it, they're like, "I wonder what else DT has done?" and suddenly, a new hardcore fan is born.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline The Fatal Tragedy

• I'm that "Awesome" guy.
« Reply #5452 on: August 15, 2013, 02:56:52 PM »
Yes! Road Runner Records' public FTP server has an extremely high resolution version of both the old and revised versions actually. (as in the original resolution 3000x3000 at 300dpi) By the way, the reflection in the majesty symbol does indeed appear to be either the Brooklyn Bridge or a set of windows within a brick building (Maybe a reference to The Looking Glass?).

https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.rr.roadrunnerrecords.com/94d3d3b0-a1c7-44c6-913a-725a17b9a18a-1373443824/DT.New.WEB.Cover.jpg (Current version)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.rr.roadrunnerrecords.com/048cafe0-1bde-4a6c-9d51-ef5ea64ff91d-1373379581/DT.New.Cover.HR.jpg (The old version with the sliced Earth)
Embrace the days; don't turn away. Life's true intent needs patience.

Karma starts the signal...

« Reply #5453 on: August 15, 2013, 03:00:38 PM »
Huh... I wonder if the Majesty symbol is reflecting a window on purpose, or if that was done just to make it look shiny. I mean, it could be like, no matter how dark the world is, it will always shine a window of light on Dream Theater.

Offline Whatsername

« Reply #5454 on: August 15, 2013, 03:21:41 PM »

Hey, any awareness is better than no awareness. Before you know it, they're like, "I wonder what else DT has done?" and suddenly, a new hardcore fan is born.

I can thank my best friend for that. He guided me through their discography and introduced me to them slowly. Now I'm completely hooked and wondering why I didn't start listening to them years ago.

Haha. I had SFAM on my mp3 player, but I didn't understand the idea of a concept album and just threw it into my mix playlist, so I was getting songs out of order and disconnected, so obviously I didn't connect to it. Thankfully I've seen the error of my ways! :biggrin:

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #5455 on: August 15, 2013, 03:33:29 PM »
I'm with Boolsheet, the "radio-friendly" tracks are usually the worst on the album (relative, they are better than most other songs out there). The last time DT didn't write an apparent radio friendly track was 6DOIT. Is it a coincidence that no album since has yet to meet or exceed 6DOIT? I think not. </opinion>

Every DT album since then (apart from BC&SL) has exceeded SDOIT </opinion>

Nothing has exceeded SDOIT. Not before or since. You be trippin'.

I think we had this conversation already, blob :lol

SDOIT is certainly million times more creative than every album they released since...

Creativity is nice, but if it's lacking quality, not even creativity can save it. TGP and Disappear are stellar though :heart

For me, Glass Prison, Great Debate and Six Degrees are top 10 DT songs... also Blind Faith is great and Misunderstood and Disappear very good... and with this album, even when some songs drags, i don't feel they are just playing to make the song longer like in recent albums...
ToT is more straightforward album, too much wankery sometimes...
8varium they attempt to be other bands
SC is ToT, but less songwriting and more wankery
BC&SL  :facepalm:
ADTOE, although some songs feel forced, they're trying to be right on track again
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #5456 on: August 15, 2013, 03:38:13 PM »
I didn't really loved they albums since SDOIT, only liked some stuff (ToT, 8V, ADTOE), disliked other (SC, BC&SL)...
Of course, there are always great passages, riffs and stuff, but not enough to love the entire album
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

« Reply #5457 on: August 15, 2013, 03:49:53 PM »
too much wankery sometimes...

No such thing.

Offline JDW89

« Reply #5458 on: August 15, 2013, 06:03:38 PM »
Yes! Road Runner Records' public FTP server has an extremely high resolution version of both the old and revised versions actually. (as in the original resolution 3000x3000 at 300dpi) By the way, the reflection in the majesty symbol does indeed appear to be either the Brooklyn Bridge or a set of windows within a brick building (Maybe a reference to The Looking Glass?).

https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.rr.roadrunnerrecords.com/94d3d3b0-a1c7-44c6-913a-725a17b9a18a-1373443824/DT.New.WEB.Cover.jpg (Current version)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.rr.roadrunnerrecords.com/048cafe0-1bde-4a6c-9d51-ef5ea64ff91d-1373379581/DT.New.Cover.HR.jpg (The old version with the sliced Earth)
Thanks a million!

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #5459 on: August 15, 2013, 06:12:00 PM »

Haha. I had SFAM on my mp3 player, but I didn't understand the idea of a concept album and just threw it into my mix playlist, so I was getting songs out of order and disconnected, so obviously I didn't connect to it. Thankfully I've seen the error of my ways! :biggrin:

:lol In the "old days" when I would discover a new band, I used to preview all the songs from every album on iTunes, then buy one from each album that I thought I liked most based on the preview. The one I got from SFAM just so happened to be TDOE :D so I didn't get any funky out of place story, thankfully.