Author Topic: Adace's Top 50 Albums V2 - Finito!/Honorable Mentions  (Read 26506 times)

Offline adace

Re: Adace's Top 50 Albums V2 - Black and Thrash
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2013, 03:58:59 PM »
The story so far:
50. Rise Against - Appeal to Reason
49. Lustmord - Metavoid
48. Boards of Canada - The Campfire Headphase
47. The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed
46. Genesis - Selling England By the Pound
45. Astra - The Black Chord
44. Yes - Fragile
43. Moonsorrow - Verisakeet
42. Wolves in the Throne Room - Celestial Lineage
41. Enslaved - Vertebrae
40. Ahab - Call of the Wretched Sea
39. Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
38. Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked
37. Meshuggah - Nothing
36. Hammock - Raising Your Voice, Trying to Stop an Echo
35. Mono - Hymn to the Immortal Wind
34. Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain
33. Massive Attack - Mezzanine
32. Pelican - What We All Come to Need
31. Scale the Summit - The Collective
30. Children of Bodom - Are You Dead Yet?
29. Judas Priest - Painkiller
28. Swallow the Sun - The Morning Never Came
27. Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley
26. Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon
25. Testament - The Gathering

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2013, 06:02:03 AM »
The Gathering is awesome.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline adace

« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2013, 10:02:12 PM »
24. Camel - Moonmadness (1976)

The 70’s were the glory days of progressive rock and Camel stands as an underrated and fairly unknown example of the musical excellence of this time. For me, Moonmadness is the finest illustration of Camel’s unique blend of technicality and spacey atmospherics. Within a single song such as “Chord Change”, one hears equal proportions of both. Weather Report-like intensity transitions seamlessly into Pink Floyd-esque, bluesy segments. All this is topped off with moody synthesizers and the soothing, melancholic quality of Andrew Latimer’s voice. While Camel may have taken more of a turn towards the mainstream with Moonmadness, their progressive tendencies still feature prominently and their unique style remains virtually intact. While Camel may not have the same level of fame that progressive giants such as Pink Floyd and Yes enjoy, they stand out as leaders in what I like to call the “progressive underground” of Britain in the 1970’s. If you are looking to delve deeper into the early prog rock scene, then I highly suggest you give this extraordinary band a listen.

Recommended tracks: Chord Change, Song Within a Song, Air Born

23. Ulver - Shadows of the Sun (2007)

Though many black metal purists would disagree, Ulver’s electronic period has so far produced much more interesting music than the purely 2-dimensional folkish black metal they once crafted. Of all the Norwegian black metal bands, Ulver was the only one to completely abandon any trace of black metal in their music and even guitars altogether. Instead what we have is a 3-dimensional, dark ambient masterpiece. The only “harshness” on the album is contained in the vast emotional depths it will send your heart into. The atmosphere is indescribably beautiful with ambient and classical elements working in tandem and Kristoffer Rygg/Garm’s heartbreaking vocals putting the listener into a swoon. It’s almost like Shadows of the Sun is a concept album about darkness itself. But it’s not the same type of darkness incorporated by black metal bands. In fact, there’s something uplifting and beautiful about it. It’s the kind of darkness that offers the distant promise of redemption and lets you see the light at the end of the tunnel. This is music to play on a rainy day. It’s quiet, reflective and tear-inducing. Some parts of the album such as “Funebre” are so minimalistic and fragile that one is half-expecting the music to simple collapse into infinity. To date, this is Ulver’s best work and best album cover too. Not only that, but it’s one of the best electronic albums I’ve ever heard. If you like conceptual, moody, ambient music fit for rainy days and quiet nights (or vice versa) then Shadows of the Sun should be right up your alley.

Recommended tracks: Eos, All the Love, Funebre, Like Music

Offline ColdFireYYZ

Re: Adace's Top 50 Albums V2 - Shadows of the Moon
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2013, 11:36:27 PM »
Moonmadness is one my favorite albums and it's one of the best prog albums of all time, IMO. Even though it's extremely short, Spirit of the Water is one of my favorites. I love the haunting atmosphere of it. Song Within a Song is another great song. All in all, it's an incredibly strong album.

The Ulver album is great too!

Offline adace

Re: Adace's Top 50 Albums V2 - Shadows of the Moon
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2013, 06:13:06 PM »
22. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless (1991)

This album is often considered by many to be a cornerstone, even the defining album of the shoegaze movement. While the contributions of other bands such as Slowdive and Lush shouldn’t be ignored, My Bloody Valentine made an indelible impact influencing artists such as Nine Inch Nails, The Smashing Pumpkins and Radiohead. But beyond those who were inspired by the album, the album itself is a landmark in sonic experimentation and, along with Nirvana’s “Nevermind”, stands as a culture-defining piece of art.
Basically, shoegazing fuses together disparate genres ranging from punk-rock to psychedlia but transcends them all to make an original style. Thinking in terms of Joy Division meets Cocteau Twins helps define where they came from but by no means is this album as accessible as either of those bands.
Loveless is almost entirely textural and highly abstract. Its melodies are awkward and often indiscernible. This is not an album that reveals its secrets very easily. It is very close to noise rock and ambient so it merely provides the listener with a blank canvas rather than a complete painting. Kevin Shield’s unorthodox, thick guitar work combined with Bilinda Butcher’s sleepy, indiscrete vocals make for a musical ride that stimulates the imagination like few other bands/albums can.

Recommended tracks: Sometimes, Only Shallow, To Here Knows When

21. Dredg - Catch Without Arms (2005)

A true masterpiece in art rock, Catch Without Arms has you singing along and tapping your feet to the catchy melodies, soaring vocals and memorable choruses but also displays progressive/experimental tendencies in the music itself. After all, that is the essence of art rock: a harmonious blend of pop/conventional structure with experimental instruments, melodies, textures and/or time signatures.
For me, Dredg’s number one selling point has been Gavin Hayes’ over-the-top, urgent vocal delivery which complements the ethereal, post-rockish guitars. I can’t say much about why I chose Catch Without Arms over the more popular choice of “El Cielo” for best Dredg album ever other than the following two things: El Cielo is a wonderful album of course but did seem to have a little filler now and then whereas, in my opinion, Catch Without Arms is devoid of that. Also, the track “Jamais Vu” is pretty much my favorite Dredg song of all time. So there you have it. Some might say Dredg are a bit pretentious and cheesy but I would call them one of most provocative and unique bands in the indie world at the moment. Catch Without Arms is upbeat, evocative and a true pleasure to listen to.

Recommended tracks: Jamais Vu, Bug Eyes, Ode to the Sun, Not That Simple

Offline ColdFireYYZ

Re: Adace's Top 50 Albums V2 - To Here Knows When
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2013, 06:36:57 PM »
I just bought Catch Without Arms yesterday! Listening to it now for the first time. It sounds great so far.

Offline adace

« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2013, 06:42:43 PM »
I just bought Catch Without Arms yesterday! Listening to it now for the first time. It sounds great so far.
:tup

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2013, 08:48:10 PM »
Catch Without Arms was really good! I like the two other dredg albums that I have - El Cielo and The Parriah, The Parrot, The Delusion - but after one listen, this is my favorite of the three.

Offline adace

« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2013, 10:38:53 PM »
Catch Without Arms was really good! I like the two other dredg albums that I have - El Cielo and The Parriah, The Parrot, The Delusion - but after one listen, this is my favorite of the three.
Cool, glad you liked it!

Also, if you haven't heard it already, I wouldn't bother with their latest album. Aside from a few songs, it's pretty forgettable.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2013, 10:45:06 PM »
Cool, glad you liked it!

Also, if you haven't heard it already, I wouldn't bother with their latest album. Aside from a few songs, it's pretty forgettable.
I was going to get it but I read some pretty bad reviews.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2013, 11:17:46 PM »
I like the first four songs on Catch Without Arms, but after that I get really tired of the album quickly.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2013, 10:27:51 AM »
Loveless is an interesting album :tup

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2013, 11:27:08 AM »
Two fantastic albums right there!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2013, 11:57:00 AM »
Loveless is an interesting album :tup
I'm kicking myself for not having it in my top 50 list. In my V2 It'll be the ones that didn't make it. Loveless will be high on top.

Offline adace

« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2013, 06:37:47 PM »
20. Death - The Sound of Perseverance (1998)

Hands-down, this album qualifies as a death metal classic. The level of technicality and musicianship is staggering right from the insane drumming down to Chuck Schuldiner’s iconic vocals and his thought-provoking lyrics (something that goes against the stereotype of all death metal bands writing only about guts and gore). Of course the album is also full of mighty riffs and some of the best solos ever recorded on a death metal album. While “Symbolic”, “Individual Thought Patterns”, and “Human” are all excellent albums, my favorite Death album is their last one. Death were one of the greatest death metal bands of all time and went out on one hell of a bang. R.I.P. Chuck.

Recommended tracks: Spirit Crusher, A Moment of Clarity, Voice of the Soul

19. Megadeth - Rust in Peace (1990)

A classic of thrash metal and metal in general, Rust in Peace is Megadeth’s best release to date and offers some of the best musicianship the thrash world has to offer. But though they are labelled as thrash and some of the songs on the record do indeed fit that label, it is also a bit reductive to pin them down as solely operating within the thrash context.
If anything, this album is perfect fusion between the thrash of Metallica (of which Dave Mustaine was a part of in its early days) and traditional metal such as Iron Maiden, Judas Priest etc. In fact, for a “thrash” band, Megadeth are quite unlike their more uncompromising contemporaries in Slayer and Beneath the Remains-era Sepultura.
Songs such as the mid-paced “Lucretia” attest to this fact with Maiden-esque riffing/soloing and a thrashy/punkish attitude. “Five Magics” on the other hand is certainly one of the most complex songs I’ve heard from a thrash band and even borders on progressive territory.
The highlight of the album though is “Holy Wars,” which features so many twists and turns but is headbangable throughout. The most surprising part is the brief but blistering acoustic solo that sets the stage for one of Mustaine’s trademark snarling tirades immediately after it.
Overall, Rust in Peace, as well as “Peace Sells”, cemented Megadeth’s position as one of the biggest names in metal and is a must have for metalheads of all stripes.

Recommended tracks - Holy Wars, Hangar 18, Tornado of Souls, Five Magics

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: Adace's Top 50 Albums V2 - Essential Metal Albums
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2013, 06:44:46 PM »
The Sound of Perseverance. YES.
Rates much higher on my own list, but the fact that it's on your list alone is radular  :metal I love this album to Death(HA) and it will always remain one of my biggest influences.
 Good choice  :tup

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2013, 07:31:30 PM »
Rust in Peace is the only Megadeth album I own and the best I hsve heard of them, by far. It used to be a great influence on me when I actively started getting into music. Nice pick :tup

Regarding Death, I prefer Symbolic and Spiritual Healing, but I've never really been a fan of the band in general.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline adace

« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2013, 06:20:04 PM »
18. Dead Can Dance - Anastasis (2012)

After a 16 year absence, Dead Can Dance returned last year with what may be the best album of their career. If you weren’t aware, DCD specialize in a very dark and mysterious sort of ethnic fusion that blends Eastern music with electronic and classical. Combined with Brendan Perry and Lisa Gerrard’s otherworldly vocals, this music is certainly some of the most exotic I’ve come across. It’s the kind that makes your imagination run wild and leaves you open to new experiences. Now, while many DCD fans may favor Within the Realm of a Dying Sun or Into the Labyrinth over this album and while that opinion is 100% understandable, I prefer Anastasis to them simply for the fact that it resonates with me more than the other two do. But whichever of their albums you choose to listen to, you’ll be guaranteed an intense, dramatic experience that has the power to mentally transport you to other realms.

Recommended tracks: Return of the She-King, Opium, Children of the Sun

17. Anathema - Weather Systems (2012)

Although this is a very recent release, it has edged its way up to being my favorite Anathema album. The emotionality on this album is absolutely jaw-dropping and the number of tear-jerking moments is numerous. For me, this album stands at a crossroad between despair and optimism. It explores in a very deep way the troubles of life but also proposes a means of coping with them. The captivating voices of the Cavanagh brothers and Lee Douglas combined with music that ranges from emotionally fragile to utterly transcendent make for an absolutely stunning musical experience. I use the word “experience” here because I know of no better way to describe the process of listening to it. Clearly, this is an album that is targeted directly at the listener’s psyche and emotions rather than his/her intellect. If you are a fan of atmospheric rock or music that speaks to your soul in general, then this album should be right up your alley.

Recommended tracks: Internal Landscapes, The Lost Child, Sunlight

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Adace's Top 50 Albums V2 - Two Gorgeous Albums
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2013, 06:36:44 PM »
I prefer WHBWH to Weather Systems, but it holds a pretty solid (though distant) second spot.

Also, I tried out Electric Wizard's Dopethrone today and I actually quite liked it, but I got bored with it after the 5th track or so and turned it off.
Squ

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
I have Dead Can Dance's live album Toward The Within which I really enjoyed. I'll have to check out Anastasis.

Weather Systems is one of my favorite albums. I didn't think they'd be able to make another album on the same level as WHBWH but they did.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2013, 05:22:53 AM »
Dead Can Dance is amazing, though I haven't spun that album in quite a while.

Anathema, on the other hand, aren't really my cup of tea. I quite like Eternity, but the two most recent are a little boring, in my opinion. I'll never really understand why they are held in such a high regard.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline adace

« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2013, 05:49:35 PM »
16. Haken - Visions (2011)

This upstart English prog-metal band certainly has gone places since the release of their first album “Aquarius” in 2010. Reviving the time-tested sound of traditional prog-metal bands such as Dream Theater, Redemption, and to a much lesser degree Tool, Haken have made an elegant and quite inventive album that certainly deserves the distinction for best prog-metal album in recent memory. Everything is so tightly constructed and perfected on this album that it is almost cinematic in nature, especially in the vocals and atmospherics. Add to that the abundance of killer progressive riffs, quirky keyboard solos and off-time drum beats and you have nothing less than a masterpiece that easily holds its own against “A Dramatic Turn of Events.” The monstrous title track is certainly one of the album’s highlights with its highly theatrical, larger-than-life expressiveness, beautiful piano melodies and solos, acoustic breakdowns. Perhaps most notably though is the song’s groovy, catchy, and sort of campy chorus “I bet you don’t remember me....” Overall this is a brilliant piece of art and if your friends and family aren’t progressive metal fans or have limited familiarity with the genre, then this out-of-left-field release should be listened to by them (and you) post-haste.

Recommended tracks: Visions, Portals, Premonition, The Mind’s Eye

15. Deep Purple - Machine Head (1972)

What initially lured me to this album was, of course, the megahit “Smoke on the Water” which is still my favorite song of theirs and the one that I think best captures their musical ethos. However, I still wasn’t fully convinced. As I delved into the rest of the tracks on Machine Head, I quickly realized that the enormous praised heaped upon this album is entirely justified. Ritchie Blackmore’s heavy, bluesy riffs and solos combined with Jon Lord’s highly expressive and masterful keyboard work make this album a true cornerstone of hard rock and heavy metal. Besides their ubiquitous breakthrough song, another favorite of mine from the record is the very epic “Lazy.” Not only does it show off their blues influence most obviously, but it also demonstrates how amazingly in-tune with each other two musicians could be. The interplay between Blackmore and Lord on this track is, for me, one of the biggest highlights of the band’s career. Of course, another one of the band’s strong suits is Ian Gillan’s fiery blues-inflected vocals which shine through on this album and others. In all, this is an unmissable, essential classic rock album which has stood the test of time and has gone on to inspire countless numbers of bands even to this day.

Recommended tracks: Smoke on the Water, Lazy, Maybe I’m a Leo

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Adace's Top 50 Albums V2 - Prog Metal and a Classic
« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2013, 06:13:02 PM »
Visions  :heart  :tup
Squ

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2013, 09:59:12 PM »
Machine Head :heart :tup

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2013, 10:33:32 AM »
Both  :heart

But an extra for Visions  :heart

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #95 on: March 16, 2013, 11:05:44 AM »
Now we're talkin'.
I now own 4 of your albums so far! (Countdown To Extinction, Fragile, Machinehead and Painkiller, and I've heard a few more (Haken, Camel and Death).

I like the death album, despite the vocals- I'll take them over the more extreme growls though, and the Haken. I prefer other Camel albums over this one ie Nude, Rajazz, Stationary Traveller and the live album Pressure Points. I'd take a couple of Purple albums over Machinehead too.

At least I know a few of these now  :biggrin:

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #96 on: March 16, 2013, 11:24:41 AM »
Nice to see so much variation on your list. Love the Hammock album, I once got it as a birthday present from a friend of mine who's very much into ambient-post-whatever. Great album.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #98 on: March 16, 2013, 05:57:34 PM »
Out of those two, I only have Machine Head, but I've really enjoyed what I've heard from Haken.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline adace

« Reply #99 on: March 16, 2013, 05:58:06 PM »
14. Depeche Mode - Violator (1990)

Having been initially raised on The Beatles and Elvis, Depeche Mode hold special significance for me as the first modern band I became a fan of. To this day, I still hold them head and shoulders above their 80’s synth-pop peers in terms of their sheer innovation and musical skill. While I love many of their albums, my favorite has to be the critically acclaimed Violator as it seems to encapsulate the best elements of what they had done up to that point and anticipated where their career would later take them. The dark, almost gothic tones of classic songs such as “Policy of Truth” and “World in My Eyes” take you on a journey through the seedy underbelly of the human psyche all while being quite catchy and danceable. Besides Depeche Mode’s creative approach on this album, their other main strength is Martin Gore and Dave Gahan’s impeccable, seductive vocals. This is most apparent for me on the highly underrated track “Waiting for the Night” which is one of the band’s darkest tunes and one of my favorites from them. There’s really something for everyone here. Even folks who don’t care for electronic music can at least appreciate the breathtaking vocal work and the band’s ability to write cohesive, highly memorable songs. But as far as I’m concerned, Violator is a classic album that deserves every bit of the praise it’s gotten.

Recommended tracks: Enjoy the Silence, Policy of Truth, World in My Eyes, Waiting for the Night

13. Periphery - Periphery II (2012)

Like deathcore and metalcore, djent has become somewhat of a black sheep of the metal family. For one thing, djent has been associated with Meshuggah rip-offery and writing heavy riffs for the sake of being heavy. While both these statements may hold water for the majority of the painfully oversaturated djent scene, Periphery truly stand out not only as the originators of the genre via Bulb’s complex, tastefully heavy guitar approach (which is not so much ripping off Meshuggah, but rather paying homage to them), but also as one of the most unconventional and innovative bands in the genre they created. Periphery’s focus has never been on either heaviness or complexity, but rather on pure songwriting which, I believe, is the fount of all good music. All the elements seem to flow together on this album and mesh perfectly into place. These include Bulb’s aforementioned brilliance as both composer and guitarist, Spencer Sotelo’s multifaceted vocal abilities (much improved from the debut album), and Matt Halpern’s exceptional drumming. Another noteworthy aspect of Periphery II is the incorporation of electronic elements particularly in the epic opener “Muramasa” and the sublime ending to “Facepalm Mute.” But overall it’s the sheer catchiness of this album that closes the deal for me and gives the album the kind of longevity that many djent albums sorely lack. In all, this band have clearly forged their own path in the djent world and made an album that perfectly blends progressive technicality with pop. If there’s one djent album you listen to, let it be this one.

Recommended tracks: Scarlet, Make Total Destroy, Erised, Ragnarok, Muramasa

Also, I just noticed these two album covers have the same color scheme. ;D

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
Re: Adace's Top 50 Albums V2 - Prog Metal and a Classic Pt. II
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2013, 08:16:26 PM »
Nice! Some really awesome stuff here. Testament, Kyuss, Dredg, Megadeth, Death, Anathema, and Periphery... woooo  :metal

I'd have definitely have to add Periphery II: This Time It's Personal to my Top 50 list somewhere if I was putting another one together.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2013, 08:49:07 PM »
I'm listening to Depeche Mode for the first time and I'm really enjoying them. Enjoy The Silence is fantastic.

Offline adace

« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2013, 09:02:01 PM »
I'm listening to Depeche Mode for the first time and I'm really enjoying them. Enjoy The Silence is fantastic.
Nice :tup Their new album's coming out pretty soon so you might want to give that a listen when it does.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2013, 11:40:30 PM »
I heard Violator for the first time last month, it's a pretty good album!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2013, 04:40:26 AM »
Maybe I'm late but I'll follow from now ;)
There are already great albums like Rust in Peace, Painkiller, TSoP, Moonmadness...
Right now I'm in Doom/Black/Shoegaze/Ambient phase so I must check most of albums you listed so far :metal
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...