Author Topic: Serious question on what to do in this situation.  (Read 6445 times)

Offline Ryzee

Re: Serious question on what to do in this situation.
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2012, 01:47:07 PM »
What would have been wrong with: "Hey you guys there's these people being really loud and obnoxious in the library right now where people are trying to study.  I want to go ask them to quiet down but I'd imagine that people who are already being loud and obnoxious in a library aren't too concerned with how what they are doing is affecting others so I doubt I'll get a lot of cooperation from them.  What should I do instead?"

Saying three long sentences vs saying "black ghetto girls"

I don't know, the OP was way longer than what I posted.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2012, 01:48:42 PM »

I actualy said "Two black girls, dressed hood as hell". Had I just said "Two girls, dressed hood as hell", each and every one of you would have immediately assumed black. So what is worng with just confirming your suspicions?

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2012, 01:52:10 PM »

I actualy said "Two black girls, dressed hood as hell". Had I just said "Two girls, dressed hood as hell", each and every one of you would have immediately assumed black. So what is worng with just confirming your suspicions?

No matter what we assumed, their skin tone doesn't matter, so it won't make a difference to us.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2012, 01:53:06 PM »
Chino I gotta ask. Would you have acted any differently toward them if they were white?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2012, 01:54:49 PM »
Okay, let's dispense with the debate about whether or not the description was racist.  It wasn't racist enough for me to consider it a violation of forum rules, so let's move on and not worry about it. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2012, 01:59:43 PM »
I am in the library on campus right now. There are four floors. The bottom floor is the big "hang out area". It has a coffee bar, some TVs, big couches, etc. Floors two and three are are filled with tables and a few computers. Groups often gather on one of these two floors to do there stuff. The fourth floor, which is where I am right now, is a quiet study area. You aren't suppose to hear anything other than the elevated sounds, pages turning, keys clicking, and the toilet flushing. It is a large open floor, with a bunch of tables scattered throughout. However, the problem with this floor is that there are very few outlets. I'm talking like 18 for the whole room (it can seat about 120).

Here is my problem. I need to use an outlet for my laptop, I can't just get up and move, and I am at the last table that was available for me to do so. Two girls just sat down at the table down two from me. They are talking non stop. They are doing no work and are just making a ruckus looking at their phones. They are being unreasonably loud for this floor and I shouldn't have to put headphones in to block out other people. In the past, I have asked people to turn their music down, or even politely reminded people that the two floors below us are accepting of conversation, but not this floor. Usually people apologize and it's not an issue after that. I can tell by the conversation these girls are having, and just their body language and gestures in general, that they will 99% cause a scene if I say something to them. I'm talking a scene like the ones on Hardcore Pawn, if you've ever seen that show you know what I'm talking about. I am almost certain I am gonna get a "you disrespecting me" reaction. I don't feel like being the center of attention right now, even if it's clear I'm not in the wrong. I am not the only one being bothered right now, I can tell by the facial expression of those around me that everyone is feeling the exact same way.

What do I do DTF? Please advise.
You would have gotten the exact same responses, minus the criticism on your choice of racially describing them.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2012, 05:34:28 PM »
I think people are blowing this way out of proportion and I'm black_.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2012, 08:01:53 PM »
I think people are blowing this way out of proportion and I'm black_.

Double "I saw what you did there"
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

• DT.net Member
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
I thought I only used one marginal joke there. Did I outsmart myself through dumbness?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2012, 08:35:55 PM »
I thought I only used one marginal joke there. Did I outsmart myself through dumbness?

You're black_

But the whole argument on the last two pages is about whether the original post was racist when it mentioned that the two girls were african-american.

I don't know, maybe you did just intend one joke and I read two.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2012, 09:01:29 PM »
That is exactly one joke.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2012, 09:04:43 PM »
That is exactly one joke.

And that, finally, my friends, is the joke! :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2012, 09:06:16 PM »

You know if you changed your name into Portuguese, you'd be Negro_Floyd.

Just a suggestion.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

• DT.net Member
« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2012, 09:08:48 PM »
Duely noted.

bosk, you know what to do :tup

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2012, 09:10:33 PM »
Quote from: black_floyd
Blackwater_Floyd, get it?

• DT.net Member
« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2012, 09:16:22 PM »
Lol, that's just clarifying that the "black" is a reference to Opeth's Blackwater Park album. I'm confused again.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2012, 09:50:30 PM »

With respect, that's nonsense!  There are plenty of mouthy, attitude-laden white girls in my neck of the woods, first instinct would be Vicky Pollard.

But - wrong with saying black? Nothing! Valid description, leave it in. I never said to take it out, you're reading what you're expecting to read! The bits I'd have taken out would've been "About to get racial" - cos it wouldn't have if you hadn't said that - and "There are plenty of black people on campus, and I'm all for giving everyone (regardless of race) their chance, but they have already blown theirs." And like I said - best of intentions, navigating a minefield, I get that! But it's not a racial issue, it's an annoying loudmouth issue, and I'm not entirely sure why it was introduced as a racial issue, or why the black fellow a couple of tables down would be more qualified than you to deal with this kind of thing.

They're just people! It's not "white people versus black people," it's "people who are studying versus people who are being really loud." No need to make it racial. If they're being loud, that's due to their nurture rather than their nature. I don't think you're racist, I'm just not sure why so much emphasis was placed on what they are rather than who they are, like we'd think you were saying they were being mouthy because they're black.

Again, though, I get the impression that you know all of this - I more got the sense you were worried that people would think it was, and trying to pre-empt it. But sentences like "I'm all for giving everyone (regardless of race) their chance" do end up sounding less like "all races are equal" and more like "I'm going to be really nice and let the black thing slide." Especially when it's later justified with "Oh, you all know it's the stereotype!" No, I didn't!

Like I say, though. I'm sure it's more a foot-in-mouth thing than a hatred-in-thread thing.

ETA: Crikey! Missed a page. Just seen the post from Bosk - right! Sorry, leaving it at that. Crucial point to take away is that from where I'm standing, it seems clear that you were basically trying to do the right thing - and whether it worked or not (and I wouldn't say it entirely did) that is ultimately A Good Thing.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 10:00:56 PM by robwebster »

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2012, 09:54:03 PM »
Another profound post from Robwebster! :)