Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. Bring on the new album!  (Read 195639 times)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: The official Opeth thread v. Lost Control
« Reply #1295 on: September 08, 2013, 10:46:15 PM »
Surely this has been mentioned before, but the last few minutes of Hex Omega sounds a lot like the heavy parts of Shutdown by OSI.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1296 on: September 09, 2013, 12:43:09 AM »
Dirt From a Holy Place is so amazing /off topic
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1297 on: September 09, 2013, 01:13:10 AM »
OSI is so amazing /off topic

I actually remember that 2 years ago someone posted Stockholm by OSI on Youtube as a fake leak of The Devil's Orchard.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1298 on: September 09, 2013, 08:49:32 AM »
I actually remember that 2 years ago someone posted Stockholm by OSI on Youtube as a fake leak of The Devil's Orchard.

And that's how I got into OSI. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
« Reply #1299 on: September 11, 2013, 01:56:23 AM »
Yesterday I listened to Still Life. Yeah, kinda amazing is #9 in my ranking, but still. I just love the other albums more.
This story ends where it began.

me on lastfm

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1300 on: September 11, 2013, 03:28:56 AM »
I used to think Still Life was the greatest piece of music ever created. It's still amazing and my favourite Opeth album, but it's definitely not flawless.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1301 on: September 14, 2013, 10:06:10 AM »
I promised to translate the bit where Mikael talks about the first Opeth gig in a Finnish interview last week, but I forgot it so here it is:
Quote from: Mikael Åkerfeldt (2009)
We opened for Therion in a suburb in Stockholm. Our then-vocalist David Isberg had a bad reputation in the metal circles and everyone hoped we would fail. We didn't let them down!

I was pretty much the only band member who knew the songs from start to finish. I stood with my back towards the audience, since I was trying to give our drummer signs about the changes between different riffs and parts. David disappeared backstage repeatedly and of course he didn't know the lyrics. In the end his improvisation mixed things up completely: if some riff was supposed to be repeated 4 times he would sing 3 or 5 lines. Soon nobody knew which part we were playing. At the end of the show someone threw snus on David and his mic stand was stolen. I still can't take that gig with humor, after 18 years.

Offline adastra

« Reply #1302 on: September 15, 2013, 12:25:15 AM »
Ghost Reveries 2LP  will be released this month o.o !!!!!!
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1303 on: September 15, 2013, 04:27:36 PM »
I promised to translate the bit where Mikael talks about the first Opeth gig in a Finnish interview last week, but I forgot it so here it is:
Quote from: Mikael Åkerfeldt (2009)
We opened for Therion in a suburb in Stockholm. Our then-vocalist David Isberg had a bad reputation in the metal circles and everyone hoped we would fail. We didn't let them down!

I was pretty much the only band member who knew the songs from start to finish. I stood with my back towards the audience, since I was trying to give our drummer signs about the changes between different riffs and parts. David disappeared backstage repeatedly and of course he didn't know the lyrics. In the end his improvisation mixed things up completely: if some riff was supposed to be repeated 4 times he would sing 3 or 5 lines. Soon nobody knew which part we were playing. At the end of the show someone threw snus on David and his mic stand was stolen. I still can't take that gig with humor, after 18 years.

Dang!  :lol
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1304 on: September 15, 2013, 11:43:30 PM »
Is "snus" that tobacky shit? Otherwise I have no idea unless someone threw an anus at Dan and you accidentally typed an "s" instead of an "a".
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1305 on: September 15, 2013, 11:57:00 PM »
Is "snus" that tobacky shit?
Yeah, it's a Swedish thing.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1306 on: September 16, 2013, 01:03:46 AM »
I used to think Still Life was the greatest piece of music ever created.

And now?

Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1307 on: September 16, 2013, 05:47:05 AM »
I used to think Still Life was the greatest piece of music ever created.

And now?

"It's still amazing and my favourite Opeth album, but it's definitely not flawless."

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1308 on: September 17, 2013, 12:51:06 AM »
I meant...and now? What you think is the "greatest piece of music ever created"?

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1309 on: September 17, 2013, 04:27:01 AM »
I meant...and now? What you think is the "greatest piece of music ever created"?

Oh okay :lol
I don't think I can decide though. SFAM comes pretty damn close honestly, but so do many other albums I consider to be perfect.

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
« Reply #1310 on: September 17, 2013, 04:49:24 AM »
Today I'll listen to Heritage probably. Giving it another opportunity.

me on lastfm

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1311 on: September 17, 2013, 07:43:57 AM »
Hope you like it  :metal

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
« Reply #1312 on: September 17, 2013, 08:56:34 AM »
Hope you like it  :metal

You know, I kinda liked it at the very first listening. It just went underwhelming right after.

me on lastfm

Offline Cygnus17

« Reply #1313 on: September 17, 2013, 12:21:54 PM »
Just starting to get into this incredible talented band.  Took a while with the growling vocals, but getting used to them

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1314 on: September 17, 2013, 01:29:59 PM »
Just starting to get into this incredible talented band.  Took a while with the growling vocals, but getting used to them

Prepare for an incredible journey ;) :metal

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1315 on: September 17, 2013, 05:52:13 PM »

I was in your shoes roughly 6 months ago... Best... Journey... NA

Offline Cygnus17

« Reply #1316 on: September 17, 2013, 05:53:54 PM »
Great band...cant wait for their new album/tour.  I saw them on the progressive nation tour, but that was a shorter set and I went primarily to see DT (of course)...

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1317 on: September 17, 2013, 06:08:47 PM »
The first time I saw Opeth was when I traveled to New York (from Houston) with a friend strictly to see DT...turns out when we got there that DT was a least of our wants. BTBAM and Opeth turned us both into fans at that point, and Opeth wore the crown that night. Master's Apprentices absolute tore our panties off and fucked us real good. SO REAL GOOD. Then I saw them in a really, really shitty venue in Houston called Terminal 5, and it was the worst venue experience I've ever had, and somehow Opeth turned it into (still) the best show I've ever seen. It was like being raped by god.

That said, I still want a follow up to Heritage. People seem to think in absolutes...as if they'd never do metal ever again if they did another 'soft' album. I think that's bullshit. They've got plenty of death metal, progressive death bunny rape metal and any other type of metal in their catalog; it's time for something new. They did one spectacular (IN MY DISGUSTINGLY USELESS, WEAK OPINION; COMPARED TO YOURS, WHOM IS READING THIS, WHICH IS FAR SUPERIOR) album and it absolutely defined their sound in a completely different way, so I'm ready for something else straight out of left field that shoves the purists in a far-out-corner of the universe. Then if they so chose and if the vocal-chord-god decides Mikael can still do it, they can go back to death-metal. If not, boo-fucking-hoo and accept reality...any type of metal will strain immensely, especially as well as Mikael does it and for as long as he has.

But really, I'm sick of the few friends who I know IRL that like Opeth constantly bitching about Heritage. Those little shits. I love 'em, but god fucking damn it are they closed-minded. I mean, it's not even about opinion at this point, it's the fact that Opeth had the audacity to do something that wasn't a brutal ass-fuck of a progressive death-metal album. *GASP*. Fuck your expectations. I hope they blow all of us out of the water and do a jazz-infused-disco album just to shove it in the faces of everyone that decided Opeth 'sucked' the moment they 'defied' the fans. Fuck fans.

/rantonclosedmindedignorance[boxyourselfinLOLLLLOOOOLOLOLOLO]

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1318 on: September 17, 2013, 06:12:17 PM »
amen, I just want them to do whatever they feel like doing.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
« Reply #1319 on: September 17, 2013, 06:13:55 PM »

Your mind will be blown. No matter which album you're gonna listen to.

@TioJorge: I really can see your point of view, but I really hope they will create something closer to their roots. Just 'cuz I miss them that way, Heritage has anything to do with it.

me on lastfm

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1320 on: September 17, 2013, 06:49:02 PM »
But really, I'm sick of the few friends who I know IRL that like Opeth constantly bitching about Heritage. Those little shits. I love 'em, but god fucking damn it are they closed-minded. I mean, it's not even about opinion at this point, it's the fact that Opeth had the audacity to do something that wasn't a brutal ass-fuck of a progressive death-metal album. *GASP*. Fuck your expectations. I hope they blow all of us out of the water and do a jazz-infused-disco album just to shove it in the faces of everyone that decided Opeth 'sucked' the moment they 'defied' the fans. Fuck fans
Mostly agreed. I don't have a problem with people just not digging the album, but hating it on the grounds that it isn't "metal" is really annoying.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1321 on: September 17, 2013, 06:54:43 PM »
I feel like I've said this before so many times, but it's not that Heritage is a bad album, or that Opeth can't experiment... But to change your entire sound after 10+ years of an established "basic" sound just kind of sucks. Like it's totally okay to experiment with your sound, but Heritage really should have been under a different moniker, like Chuck Schuldiner did with Control Denied. Death and Control Denied are both fucking awesome, but it wouldn't have been a Death album if he'd just decided to for go changing band names, if you get what I'm saying. Heritage kind of feels like a different band and Mikael decided to for go changing the moniker. Heritage is still a good album, don't let this paragraph come across as me saying I don't like it, because I do a lot, lots of lush gorgeous moments on the album, and a few goosebump moments, but aside from Mikaels voice, and the guitar's general tone, it just doesn't feel at all like an Opeth album.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1322 on: September 17, 2013, 06:57:36 PM »
I feel like I've said this before so many times, but it's not that Heritage is a bad album, or that Opeth can't experiment... But to change your entire sound after 10+ years of an established "basic" sound just kind of sucks.

I completely disagree. I'd take Heritage over Orchid and Watershed any day of the week. I don't think the change in sound does not 'sucks'. And I know I'm not alone in that opinion.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1323 on: September 17, 2013, 06:58:38 PM »
I really meant that it only sucks in the context in keeping it under Opeth, which I know you still disagree with, but I'd take Orchid and Watershed ANY day of the week over Heritage.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1324 on: September 17, 2013, 07:00:26 PM »
Fair enough.

And to be fair, I think they're all stellar albums  ;D

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #1325 on: September 17, 2013, 07:29:33 PM »

They were my first "growling vocals"  band. At first they were something to suffer through while I heard the rest of the amazing music. Then I tolerated them, and over time I found I wouldn't want the songs any other way than with them. Now I enjoy them and love every bit of the extra dimension it brings to their sound.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1326 on: September 17, 2013, 08:28:02 PM »
Nothing wrong with liking Ghost Reveries more than Still Life and Blackwater Park. The three, together, make the holy trinity of Opeth albums for me, and any one of them can be my favorite on a given day.

Quoted for absolute motherfucking truth.  If I'm out of context, fuck all y'all. :biggrin: :heart

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1327 on: September 17, 2013, 09:36:56 PM »
 :heart

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1328 on: September 17, 2013, 11:01:39 PM »
:'(

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1329 on: September 18, 2013, 12:00:09 AM »

Oh okay :lol
I don't think I can decide though. SFAM comes pretty damn close honestly, but so do many other albums I consider to be perfect.
I used to think the same (about SFAM) years ago (when i was obsessed with DT and progressive metal in general), then i started to explore all kinds of genres....now i hardly listen to metal anymore  :-\