Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. Bring on the new album!  (Read 193597 times)

Offline aprilethereal

Re: The official Opeth thread v. Lost Control
« Reply #1190 on: July 31, 2013, 10:52:26 AM »
Germany sucks so hard sometimes :(

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #1191 on: July 31, 2013, 12:39:53 PM »
I heard the full version of Ghost of Perdition on the radio today :2metal:

Can Britain share Finnish radio too, please?
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1192 on: July 31, 2013, 12:48:48 PM »
A station called Radio Rock has had a "top 1000 rock songs of all time" list (based on a listener poll) going on this year and they reveal a certain amount of songs every week. GOP appears in it, which is why it was played. Demon of the Fall and Deliverance also made it to the list, but I don't think any Opeth songs would be played if they hadn't received votes in the poll. Then again, I never really listen to the radio, so I don't know :lol

(off-topic, but aprilethereal, Punish My Heaven by the other DT has appeared in that list as well, which is a pleasant surprise!)

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1193 on: July 31, 2013, 02:47:03 PM »
Still don't own The Gallery :blush

And stop making me even more jelly :D

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1194 on: August 02, 2013, 12:51:12 PM »
My Opeth Discog is now complete... Gotta listen two Orchid and Morningrise now

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1195 on: August 02, 2013, 01:06:25 PM »
They're both great albums. They definitely took a little more time to grow on me than most of Opeth's other stuff, but that's probably because I listened to them for the first time long after I had heard their more recent albums like SL, BWP, GR, etc.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1196 on: August 02, 2013, 01:40:57 PM »
Yeah i went ass backwards with the discog. Heritage got me into Opeth, so i went from the most clean vocals and built up to the harsh stuff.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1197 on: August 02, 2013, 01:43:16 PM »
Orchid and Morningrise are cool, but they're my 2 least favourite Opeth albums, even though I've listened to them many times.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1198 on: August 02, 2013, 02:06:39 PM »
I really love Morningrise, especially Advent, The Night And The Silent Water and To Bid You Farewell, but Orchid is my least favourite album of theirs.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1199 on: August 02, 2013, 02:39:50 PM »
Morningrise is amazing. To Bid You Farewell might just be my favourite Opeth ballad.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1200 on: August 02, 2013, 09:24:15 PM »
I like Orchid and Morningrise better than anything released after Blackwater Park by a very large margin.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1201 on: August 02, 2013, 09:30:09 PM »
Not a big fan of Morningrise, it's probably my least favorite Opeth album. Orchid has some really awesome stuff though, would be cool if they redid the whole thing with better production.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #1202 on: August 02, 2013, 09:32:33 PM »
Morningrise is fairly underrated imho, mainly because the rest of their catalog is so stellar, but it's actually a pretty solid album. Orchid is ok, but clearly MA is just getting his feet wet.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1203 on: August 06, 2013, 12:08:30 PM »
Is there any way to get non MP3 Versions of "Pyre" and "Face In The Snow" I purchased the deluxe edition or whatever of Heritage and it has the songs on the DVD but not as audio tracks. Also it came with a ticket that was like "go to this website for the download" .. that expired like a year ago D:

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1204 on: August 06, 2013, 12:34:45 PM »
Scrub, I'll preface this by saying this post has nothing of value to aid you in your pursuit and is just a rant.

It's pretty bogus to shell out money for a special/deluxe/whatever edition yet still have the record label expecting you to jump through hoops just to get something that EASILY could've fit on the CD itself just so they can use you as a pawn in their marketing game to generate traffic and ad money for their website. Funny thing is, the songs were actually kinda boring anyway so I'll just say fuck it for now since I couldn't get 'em back then anyway since my computer wasn't working properly at the time. I'll just torrent them if I ever warm up to them.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1205 on: August 06, 2013, 12:35:34 PM »
Is there any way to get non MP3 Versions of "Pyre" and "Face In The Snow" I purchased the deluxe edition or whatever of Heritage and it has the songs on the DVD but not as audio tracks. Also it came with a ticket that was like "go to this website for the download" .. that expired like a year ago D:

That sucks :-\

I'm not a fan of Heritage at all, so I never felt the need to check out the bonus tracks anyway :D

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1206 on: August 06, 2013, 12:45:52 PM »
Scrub, I'll preface this by saying this post has nothing of value to aid you in your pursuit and is just a rant.

It's pretty bogus to shell out money for a special/deluxe/whatever edition yet still have the record label expecting you to jump through hoops just to get something that EASILY could've fit on the CD itself just so they can use you as a pawn in their marketing game to generate traffic and ad money for their website. Funny thing is, the songs were actually kinda boring anyway so I'll just say fuck it for now since I couldn't get 'em back then anyway since my computer wasn't working properly at the time. I'll just torrent them if I ever warm up to them.

I agree, It is kinda BS. But I listened to them on the DVD and I reallllllly enjoyed Pyre which is why I'm trying to get them. I tried emailing RR and asking but no response :\

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1207 on: August 06, 2013, 04:49:03 PM »
I find that sort of system highly irritating as well, but I do like both tracks, and I include them as if they were always part of the album when I listen to it.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1208 on: August 06, 2013, 04:51:51 PM »
I've mostly given up on bonus tracks. I can't afford to buy every special edition Japanese album these bands put out.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1209 on: August 07, 2013, 10:00:04 AM »

DVD Audio Extractor. although i'm fairly sure all the audio on the DVD is AC3, which is basically the same as an MP3 anyway.

Offline Onno

« Reply #1210 on: September 03, 2013, 04:38:02 AM »
"New Opeth album: Heavier, sinister, expensive..."
Link to whole interview (in Swedish, unfortunately) is included.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1211 on: September 03, 2013, 04:57:44 AM »
Mikael will be producing. He loves the sound of Dio's Holy Diver, that early 80s sound where the 70s is still around but there is more weight in the whole production. Right now he's interested in getting a similar sound, one that is not retro but it sounds like real instruments and has a little more weight than Heritage.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Onno

« Reply #1212 on: September 03, 2013, 05:04:43 AM »
That's cool, thanks for the translation/info :)

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1213 on: September 03, 2013, 05:13:43 AM »
I'm excited and afraid at the same time :dunno:

Heritage made me lose all hope for the band when it came out, and I fear that happening again.

Offline Onno

« Reply #1214 on: September 03, 2013, 05:47:24 AM »
Heritage is my #3 Opeth album  :lol

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1215 on: September 03, 2013, 05:49:44 AM »
Yea Heritage is good. Would be nice to get something with a little bit more bite this time.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline adastra

« Reply #1216 on: September 03, 2013, 06:11:46 AM »
Opeth is one of my favourite bands.  Ghost Reveries must be in my top10  best albums ever.
Pretty excited about the upcoming album... Excited and afraid.
IMO  Heritage is horrible ._.   0/10  .  I hated it .   But of course I completely understand if Åkerfeldt wants to evolve his music away from death metal.
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Onno

« Reply #1217 on: September 03, 2013, 06:13:36 AM »
Opeth is one of my favourite bands.  Ghost Reveries must be in my top10  best albums ever.
IMO  Heritage is horrible ._.   0/10  .  I hated it .   But of course I completely understand if Åkerfeldt wants to evolve his music away from death metal.
0/10? Wow...  :lol How many times have you listened to it? I need 20 listens to like it, but then I immediately loved it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1218 on: September 03, 2013, 06:14:04 AM »
Heritage is horrible ._.   0/10  .  I hated it .

0/10.  Come on?  :facepalm:
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1219 on: September 03, 2013, 06:15:30 AM »
I'd say 6/10. Ghost Reveries is barely a 7/10 IMO. Watershed on the other hand is about a 9.5/10 for me.

Offline adastra

« Reply #1220 on: September 03, 2013, 06:26:42 AM »
0/10? Wow...  :lol How many times have you listened to it? I need 20 listens to like it, but then I immediately loved it.

I have listened to it about 10 times during this 2 yr period.  I know its propably not enough to really get "into it".

Heritage is horrible ._.   0/10  .  I hated it .

0/10.  Come on?  :facepalm:

I like every other Opeth album but this one just too hard for me :D
First time I listened to it, I had to take couple of months before even touching it again.

It's rare that I come across album that despise so much :P
Maybe some day I'll get into it... maybe not.. I'll take a spin today and try to get thru it :)

Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1221 on: September 03, 2013, 06:39:15 AM »
Why have you listened to it 10 times if you genuinely rate it 0/10. If I hated something that much I wouldn't even listen to it a second time.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1222 on: September 03, 2013, 06:44:20 AM »
I dunno, if it's a band I like I'm willing to give it a chance even if I hate it on first listen.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1223 on: September 03, 2013, 06:54:45 AM »
I don't see the problem since there has been plenty of albums I disliked at first but grew to really love. And on the other hand the albums that clicked the most on first listen tends to fade a lot. So I can totally see why someone would keep spinning an album like that.

Offline adastra

« Reply #1224 on: September 03, 2013, 06:56:42 AM »
Why have you listened to it 10 times if you genuinely rate it 0/10. If I hated something that much I wouldn't even listen to it a second time.

I've been trying to get into it.

I have to edit my post a little bit;
"It's rare that I come across album that despise so much"

I meant that;
"It's rare that I come across album made by one of my favourite artists that despise so much
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 07:04:39 AM by adastra »