Poll

POLL: Do you like DT using vocal backing tracks?

I like it
31 (20.4%)
I don't like it
36 (23.7%)
I don't care
85 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: POLL: DT using vocal backing tracks - your opinion?  (Read 15450 times)

Offline johncal

Re: POLL: DT using vocal backing tracks - your opinion?
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2012, 08:16:02 PM »
There's another option no one discussed. Add another member. Somone to add background vocals that's also multi-instrument talented. There are some real high end guys out there. It would help live stay live and add another level of coolness.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2012, 08:24:57 PM »
There's another option no one discussed. Add another member. Somone to add background vocals that's also multi-instrument talented. There are some real high end guys out there. It would help live stay live and add another level of coolness.

And undermine LaBrie's position in the band... Yeah, no.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2012, 08:29:56 PM »

Yeah, I doubt the band would ever even consider adding another member to the band. The special thing about DT is that these five guys create this incredible music. To add more members to the band would spoil the special musical bond the five members already have, in my opinion.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2012, 08:31:57 PM »

Yeah, I doubt the band would ever even consider adding another member to the band. The special thing about DT is that these five guys create this incredible music. To add more members to the band would spoil the special musical bond the five members already have, in my opinion.

You mean the current 5 members, 3 of which came into the band at other times replacing other unique people? I doubt that matters much. However adding another member JUST for live shows would just be odd, would they be in the band or just a hired gun? Plus it's an entire other salary.

Plus, these harmonies aren't important. They are not necessary.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2012, 08:35:15 PM »
Plus, these harmonies aren't important. They are not necessary.

This.

• EB
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2012, 08:38:33 PM »

You mean the current 5 members, 3 of which came into the band at other times replacing other unique people?

You misunderstand what I meant. I kinda meant something along the lines of an MP quote about "Too many chefs in the kitchen". I think DT has the perfect amount of chefs in the kitchen.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

Offline Adami

« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2012, 08:41:14 PM »
I know I've disagreed with every post thus far (today anyway), so I apologize for disagreeing again.....it's nothing personal.

But the chefs in the kitchen metaphor (much like the too many wives in the bedroom one) means too many people putting in ideas. Adding a live player would be like adding in a waiter, not a chef. So Portnoy wasn't talking about too many musicians in the band, just too many people throwing in creative ideas. So a live player wouldn't change that and Portnoy wouldn't be banging the chef in the bedroom....or something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

• EB
« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2012, 08:44:06 PM »
I know I've disagreed with every post thus far (today anyway), so I apologize for disagreeing again.....it's nothing personal.

But the chefs in the kitchen metaphor (much like the too many wives in the bedroom one) means too many people putting in ideas. Adding a live player would be like adding in a waiter, not a chef. So Portnoy wasn't talking about too many musicians in the band, just too many people throwing in creative ideas. So a live player wouldn't change that and Portnoy wouldn't be banging the chef in the bedroom....or something.

Not a problem at all my friend! I enjoy debating. :)

And I'm well aware of what the metaphor means. I made the connection though, assuming DT would NOT just hire someone for live shows. I believe the original post I responded to said "add a new member to the band" which indicates adding a new full time member, therefore I'd assume DT would allow them to have musical input.

Offline Adami

« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2012, 08:51:08 PM »
Ohh touche then salesman.

I thought they just meant a live back up singer. I say they add Matt Guilori as a 2nd keyboardist/songwriter/backup vocalist since he is amazing at all of those things.....provided he never writes lyrics.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2012, 08:57:53 PM »
Not a problem at all my friend! I enjoy debating. :)

Yes, you are the master debater.

Ohh touche then salesman.

I thought they just meant a live back up singer. I say they add Matt Guilori as a 2nd keyboardist/songwriter/backup vocalist since he is amazing at all of those things.....provided he never writes lyrics.

You know what? Forget Dream Theater. I say Matt and JLB should just absorb the other Dream Theater members into JLB's band and continue their career under the artist name of James LaBrie.  :rollin

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2012, 12:54:17 AM »
You know what? Forget Dream Theater. I say Matt and JLB should just absorb the other Dream Theater members into JLB's band and continue their career under the artist name of James LaBrie.  :rollin
That would fulfill my dreams of seeing Peter Wildoer growl in some Dream Theater tunes.
Metal kid, what can I say.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Siberian Khatru

« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2012, 02:48:39 AM »
A live player is a lot more expansive then some piped in harmonies.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2012, 06:51:10 AM »
I don't see the need for it, because the backup vocals are not the essential parts of the songs. That said I voted for don't care because I really don't care.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2012, 08:51:55 AM »

You mean like Frankie Goes To Hollywood did with Paul Rutherford?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Rutherford

Rutherford sang backing vocals to Holly Johnson and also danced.

(and also happened to be the second gay member and thus most likely really just a portable band mattress)

Now tell me that's not a winning ticket
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

• EB
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2012, 12:48:22 PM »
I mean, for some reason I'm not a huge fan of how TA brings DG on tour with them, not sure why. I feel like I'd feel the same if DT did it. It's like, I want to see the band, not the band AND that other guy. You know? Maybe I'm just nitpicky though.

Offline TL

« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2012, 02:01:35 PM »
It doesn't really matter to me. I'd probably rather they didn't, but I don't mind either.

What does seem silly to me is having such an adverse reaction to it, to the point of not going to see a great live band just because they use an occasional backing vocal track. It just seems like you're depriving yourself of a fun experience for a very lackluster reason.
I didn't think anyone really was?

The OP's a little thornier on the subject than most, but voting "I don't like it" isn't the same as hating it with the fire of a million suns. It just means I've gone "oh, that's a bit rubbish," justified it when asked in an open poll, then moved on with my life. Seeing DT's still a cracking way to spend a night.

The lacklustre reason I'm depriving myself of a fun experience is because I've got no money, not because they sometimes have a tape on.
Oh, I'm very specifically referring to the OP with that bit.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2012, 01:56:08 AM »
I voted "I don't care". I've seen Sonata Arctica live twice and their use of backing vocal tracks didn't bother me so I wouldn't mind them at a DT concert either. Of course I think JP should sing back-up any time possible and IMO the old songs don't need backing tracks but on the ADTOE songs where it would be hard for JP to do the backing vocals it's ok to have them coming from a tape.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2012, 10:46:41 AM »
I voted "I don't care". I've seen Sonata Arctica live twice and their use of backing vocal tracks didn't bother me so I wouldn't mind them at a DT concert either. Of course I think JP should sing back-up any time possible and IMO the old songs don't need backing tracks but on the ADTOE songs where it would be hard for JP to do the backing vocals it's ok to have them coming from a tape.
And that's where these backing tracks are coming from, the ADTOE songs. They use them in some lines in 'Lost Not Forgotten' and 'On The Backs of Angels.' JP continues to step up on the backing vocals for the majority (95%+) of the older, pre-ADTOE tunes. And to be fair to JP, the parts where the backing vocals are being played are where he is pretty busy playing guitar and that would have made it very difficult.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2012, 10:54:33 AM »
Are they using backing vocals for Met
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2012, 11:08:11 AM »
Metropolis? They didn't at the two shows i attended. Lost Not Forgotten and On The Backs of Angels were the only songs I notice they had backing tracks, with the exception of samples here and there.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2012, 11:51:25 AM »
And that's where these backing tracks are coming from, the ADTOE songs. They use them in some lines in 'Lost Not Forgotten' and 'On The Backs of Angels.' JP continues to step up on the backing vocals for the majority (95%+) of the older, pre-ADTOE tunes. And to be fair to JP, the parts where the backing vocals are being played are where he is pretty busy playing guitar and that would have made it very difficult.
Yeah, I think it's ok to have backing tracks on the new songs but I also remember seeing some videos of Forsaken (and Caught in a Web too IIRC) where there were pre-recorded backing vocals.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2012, 12:04:50 PM »
Yeah, I think it's ok to have backing tracks on the new songs but I also remember seeing some videos of Forsaken (and Caught in a Web too IIRC) where there were pre-recorded backing vocals.
I can't speak for Forsaken since I've never seen the song live with the new line up, but when they played in Chicago, there were no backing vocals used for Caught In A Web. On The Backs of Angels was the only song for that show that I noticed.

« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2012, 12:07:37 PM »
When I was at the concert, I was singing along too loudly too notice whether there were any backing vocals on Forsaken. I WAS the backing vocals.  :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2012, 12:10:11 PM »
Metropolis? They didn't at the two shows i attended. Lost Not Forgotten and On The Backs of Angels were the only songs I notice they had backing tracks, with the exception of samples here and there.

Oh, funny since thats a song that needs.those backing vocals
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

• EB
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2012, 02:08:03 PM »
Don't forget BMUBMD

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2012, 03:22:36 PM »
Don't forget BMUBMD
I completely forgot about that song. :lol

Put it into the same category as LNF and OTBOA, since they only have the backing vocals for the chorus-y part.

Offline Adami

« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2012, 03:26:28 PM »
Speaking of BMUBMD, James needs to scream that chorus. The singing part is background on the CD yet he makes it the main live and ignores the screams.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2012, 03:35:11 PM »
I've thought about this topic some more, and I've decided that what pre-recorded part was really cheesy was the rhythm guitar part in the intro of TCOT, especially JM plays enough guitar to be able to handle it.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2012, 03:58:33 PM »
I could care less, it doesn't bother me at all

if anything it is adding to the overall sound, not replacing

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2012, 02:41:22 PM »
Well its due to the studio albums being able to record in layers, JLB can sing 3 notes to add more texture to songs so they play 2 in the background because he obviously can't sing 3 tones at once, only JMX can do that but it rips people's ears off  :smiley: