Author Topic: US Justice Dep. Takes Down Megaupload, Anonymous Takes Down US Justice Dep.  (Read 4217 times)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Ryan wins.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow, just wow. Megaupload was probably the filesharing site that recognized and deleted pirated material faster than any other. And now the owner is being trialed for piracy. That's unfair.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Wow, just wow. Megaupload was probably the filesharing site that recognized and deleted pirated material faster than any other. And now the owner is being trialed for piracy. That's unfair.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Pretty dumb on their part.  They've been largely left alone, but targeting the U.S. government's websites is going to up the ante significantly in terms of what they are allowed to do.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL

Pretty dumb on their part.  They've been largely left alone, but targeting the U.S. government's websites is going to up the ante significantly in terms of what they are allowed to do.

Both of these.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Yes, I missed that first point, but I agree.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
NO GUYS THEY TOOK DOWN THAT WEBSITE WE WON THE WAR AGAINST THE BAD GOVERNMENT!!!!!!!!!!1

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
Well, I'll just say Megaupload had it coming. No website is impervious. YouTube always has loads of copyrighted material on it. There's always a work around. Criminals are usually one step ahead.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
C'mon Marc, don't be silly. No one is claiming this as any sort of great victory or anything like that. I just think it's really, really funny and ironic. And I'm glad someone is standing up against this, no matter how immature and ineffective you think it is.

Whatever.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
To be honest, I'm with Marc on this.

I always thought Anonymous taking down sites owned by people they don't like was kind of stupid.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
C'mon Marc, don't be silly. No one is claiming this as any sort of great victory or anything like that. I just think it's really, really funny and ironic. And I'm glad someone is standing up against this, no matter how immature and ineffective you think it is.

Whatever.

My objection is that this makes the problem that much worse.  If the government didn't have a valid reason to want to police the internet before, they very much so do now. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Fair enough. I get that. But hasn't Anonymous done this before? They've taken down government websites before, I think. I doubt this is the first time the government has heard of them.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
I think it's a little funny but I think it just comes off as immature and bratty.

I can see both sides, I guess. it's not like petitioning the Feds to stop would be useful at all but what Anon is doing isn't really helping things.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
I think it's a little funny but I think it just comes off as immature and bratty.

I can see both sides, I guess. it's not like petitioning the Feds to stop would be useful at all but what Anon is doing isn't really helping things.

Exactly. The best thing they can do is sign the petitions and send emails and phone calls to their reps/senators.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Well, I'll just say Megaupload had it coming. No website is impervious. YouTube always has loads of copyrighted material on it. There's always a work around. Criminals are usually one step ahead.
How do they have this coming?  Like Nekov pointed out, they were always fast to take down pirated material...

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
How do they have this coming?  Like Nekov pointed out, they were always fast to take down pirated material...

They are more efficient than YouTube when it comes to that.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert

At the risk of not being banned, I'll just say it wasn't nearly as good as you think. Want+will=way.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX

At the risk of not being banned, I'll just say it wasn't nearly as good as you think. Want+will=way.
Do you have an insider that lets you know they don't take stuff down fast?  Because I've tended to notice stuff goes down fast on Mega if it should :L ...

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
It's back up now.

ARE YOU HAPPY, GORILLE??? YOU WON :'(

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
D:

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
I'm kind of curious what was in the indictment.  If they're honoring DMCA requests,  and it seems they were,  then I'm not sure what the problem is.  As I understand it,  they're not the original providers of any content that's on there. 

As for Anonymous,  I lost all respect for those guys when they weren't even able to effectively screw with the Scientologists. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
YAR!

So is it legal to make copies of things I've purchased and upload them to whatever "cloud service" I'm using? And then can I allow friends and family access to my cloud to view\enjoy said copies of said materials.

megaupload....tsk tsk....the original cloud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NitBpJaom5k&feature=related
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
Well done for Anonymous.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
This could be an interesting next couple of days.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
YAR!

So is it legal to make copies of things I've purchased and upload them to whatever "cloud service" I'm using? And then can I allow friends and family access to my cloud to view\enjoy said copies of said materials.

megaupload....tsk tsk....the original cloud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NitBpJaom5k&feature=related

that song... :hefdaddy

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Speaking of which, did they actually hack it or just DDOS it?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
DDOS, I think.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
Looks like I'm the only one here who's on Anon's side.

It was none of America's business shutting down a company in a country on the other side of the world when all they had to do to block it was blacklist it in America.

I hope you guys enjoy your future under SOPA/PIPA. I have first hand experience with government-led internet censorship in Turkey, and I can tell you right away it's absolutely depressing not being able to go on YouTube or tons of other sites that generate and propagate culture. There's pretty much nothing differentiating MegaVideo from YouTube, YT is also full of copyrighted material. You're headed for a world where big brother will be breathing down your back all the time. I don't care what happens in America, but I don't like seeing the american government's greasy moneygrabbing hands feel up other countries.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 11:32:19 AM by Metabog »

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni

No, I am.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness

It was none of America's business shutting down a company in a country on the other side of the world when all they had to do to block it was blacklist it in America.

I hope you guys enjoy your future under SOPA/PIPA. I have first hand experience with government-led internet censorship in Turkey, and I can tell you right away it's absolutely depressing not being able to go on YouTube or tons of other sites that generate and propagate culture. There's pretty much nothing differentiating MegaVideo from YouTube, YT is also full of copyrighted material. You're headed for a world where big brother will be breathing down your back all the time. I don't care what happens in America, but I don't like seeing the american government's greasy moneygrabbing hands feel up other countries.
You're confusing supporting Anon and supporting the closure of Megaupload.  It seems most here decry the closure,  but thing that Anon are a bunch of childish nimrods.  Their actions in prostest don't actually accomplish anything,  except maybe give our over-reactive government another reason to want to control our actions. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline tjanuranus

Big deal, they should hack into the lawmakers personal accounts and really bring them down if they really want to cause some shit. Just bringing down a website who cares.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
They had one or two servers in the USA. That's the only way they got served, and shut down.
anyone else find it odd that the guy's last name is Dotcom?

this wasn't about shutting down some company over seas....they can't. Ask the Bay. Or any of the gazillion private trackers out there. this wasn't a war, this wasn't even a battle....this was DOJ saying..."hey look at us we're doing something"
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
*snip*

Here's the thing: I don't agree with the U.S. government's choices, but I don't agree with Anon's tactics, either - all they've done is add fuel to the fire.  First things first, you'll notice that megaupload.com is still down, so it's not like Anon has accomplished anything.  Second of all, you'll notice that the four biggest sites attacked yesterday - justice.gov, fbi.gov, mpaa.org, and riaa.com - are all back online.  So this massive effort - the biggest single coordinated attack in Anon history - managed to shut them down for - what?  24 hours, max? 

So all they've really done is get some people's attention.

I ask you, is it good attention? 

Quote from: @AnonymousIRC
justice.gov seems to be besieged by some pirate ships. Can't handle the pirates? Don't sail the proxeas

Does that send the message that they are defending freedom of speech?  To me it sounds like they are defending piracy.  Which doesn't exactly do a lot of good for their cause, as far as I'm concerned.  It makes them look like 5,000 2-year-olds throwing a temper tantrum because their toy got taken away. 

An interesting article for your consideration: CNET - Anonymous goes nuclear; everybody loses?

If the SOPA/PIPA protests were the Web's moment of inspiring, non-violent, hand-holding civil disobedience, #OpMegaUpload feels like the unsettling wave of car-burning hooligans that sweep in and incite the riot portion of the play. The result is always riot gear, tear gas, arrests, injury, and a sea of knee-jerk policies, laws, and reactions that address the destructive actions of a few, and not the good intentions of the many.

But I do know that an attack this big on this many government sites will effectively erase those good Internet vibrations that were rattling around Capitol Hill this week and harden the perspective of legislators and law enforcement who want to believe that the Web community is made up of wild, law-breaking pirates. That, ultimately, may help strengthen the business--and the emotional--case for the pro-SOPA, pro-PIPA lobby. Did the feds just get the last lulz?
Sincerely,
Jaffa