Author Topic: Red - Feed The Machine vs. DT - BMU, BMD  (Read 93661 times)

Offline MarlaHooch

Re: Red - Feed The Machine vs. DT - BMU, BMD
« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2011, 10:10:07 PM »
Just wow.

I learned my lesson about expressing my (perfectly valid/not glowing) opinions re:  the I & W structural similarities, so my only comment with this one will be "just wow."

Um, weren't you saying it was structurally identical to "Surrounded" or something then?  :\ Honestly, this "finding" just proves how bogus Thiago was.

No, actually, I specifically said I didn't buy into that one.  We don't need to re-litigate that.  But as usual people didn't read my posts  :yarr

It just seems that being disappointed as a fan over these fiascos isn't allowed on their message board.  Well, it's allowed, but not taken kindly to at all.

I'm a huge Van Halen fan, but I think it's BS that they pipe in taped backing vocals and rhythm guitars for their last two tours.  I'm a huge Dream Theater fan, but I think it's BS that they are...stretching what "original" means in this new "original" album, IN MY OPINION!!!!!!, to say the least...

To be extra, extra clear since my posts are continuously misinterpreted (or not read at all) - I love Dream Theater and Mike Mangini's addition, but I'm really disappointed by the I & W thing and now this.  I'm not saying they suck.  I am saying they are better than this kind of thing in my opinion...and to be extra fair about it, MP is better than this as well.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 10:21:46 PM by MarlaHooch »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2011, 10:11:35 PM »
Congrats, MP.  You managed give the "BMUBMD" story a quick backseat and now the real news is about yourself unprofessionally and unnecessarily, in my opinion, taking a dig at your former bandmates once again.  Sheesh.   ::)
Honestly, seeing how MP's treated his ex-band members over the last year has completely flipped how I look at DT history. We always got the story about Charlie Dominici, David Prater, Kevin Moore, Derek Sherinian, the Record Label, Geoff Tate, and others straight from MP. Now, I've really started reconsidering all of that. Seeing how MP's been completely wrong and out-of-line when he talks about his former band-mates has definitely got me thinking that maybe there was something more to all of the above situations.

I've always thought that, and I gotta admit that it is nice to see that many others are finally coming around to seeing it as well. 

Quite frankly, this latest cheap shot by Portnoy just shows that he is still extremely bitter.  He can talk all he wants about how happy he is and blah, blah, blah, but actions speak louder than words.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2011, 10:30:18 PM »

To be extra, extra clear since my posts are continuously misinterpreted (or not read at all) - I love Dream Theater and Mike Mangini's addition, but I'm really disappointed by the I & W thing and now this.  I'm not saying they suck.  I am saying they are better than this kind of thing in my opinion...and to be extra fair about it, MP is better than this as well.

I think he is demonstrating over and over that he really isn't.  Never has been, and still isn't.  Reading through the thread on his forum, he says something to the effect that this is how he always acted.  How true!  But now that it is not coming from the DT camp (which made many's knee-jerk reaction one of defending Portnoy and the band to a larger extent), and is actually being fired AT the DT camp, people are now seeing him for how he really is.

Offline MarlaHooch

« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2011, 10:48:02 PM »

I think he is demonstrating over and over that he really isn't.  Never has been, and still isn't.  Reading through the thread on his forum, he says something to the effect that this is how he always acted.  How true!  But now that it is not coming from the DT camp (which made many's knee-jerk reaction one of defending Portnoy and the band to a larger extent), and is actually being fired AT the DT camp, people are now seeing him for how he really is.

I have to say, I'm equally disappointed with the DT camp and MP for different reasons (MM has no role in any of it, he's just an awesome hardworking drummer whose hard work paid off and I leave him out of all of this).

But what I tell myself about this, or my Van Halen example, or any time a band that I've loved for a very long time bums me out...they are better than this even if its been going on for a year or two or whatever.  I have 20 years of great music from DT and one year of what I consider to be really lame artistic, um, choices I guess is the word (and one year of really classless sniping from MP). 

It really bums me out because I consider both of these little quirks about ADToE to be cutting corners artistically.  I'm convinced personally that they just wanted a record out quickly at any cost to shift the attention away from MP and towards their future.  It's an understandable strategy if that's the case, and I'm always happy for new music from DT, but I think how they apparently chose to go about it cheapens just how good and capable I know they are.  They could've made a great record without any of this.  Maybe for once they would've had to take three years between albums instead of two, but that would've been understandable under the circumstances.

I'm still a fan, I'll still get the records and go to the shows, but I'm pretty disappointed.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2011, 10:48:39 PM »
This is the Life is on for me right now and I am still convinced it's written about MP who desperately needs to learn to live life gracefully and not get caught in the maze.

ADToE is my favorite CD of my favorite band and I listen to it constantly.  I have little doubt MP realizes how good it is and it probably kills him that he wasn't part of it; and, clearly now, never will be again.

Personally I don't think there's that much of a resemblance in these two particular tracks anyway.

"Memories will fade
Time races on
What will they say
After you're gone"

It's a shame it had to go this way but I am thrilled the result was such a wonderful CD.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2011, 10:55:58 PM »
Hooch, I am not getting into another discussion on the I&W/ADTOE thing, but I'll just say that the similarity between this Red song and BMU BMD is no different than what DT has done a dozen times or so over the years.  It is laughable that Portnoy could chalk the beginning of Octvarium up as merely part of an Inspiration Corner when that opening keyboard section (before the continuum comes in) is exactly like Floyd's Shine On...

BelichickFan, I have always thought This Is the Life was largely about Portnoy. The band can say otherwise, and it is probably smart to do to avoid the controversy that might arise from such an admission, but when you read the lyrics, it totally is.

Offline MarlaHooch

« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2011, 11:10:58 PM »
Hooch, I am not getting into another discussion on the I&W/ADTOE thing, but I'll just say that the similarity between this Red song and BMU BMD is no different than what DT has done a dozen times or so over the years.  It is laughable that Portnoy could chalk the beginning of Octvarium up as merely part of an Inspiration Corner when that opening keyboard section (before the continuum comes in) is exactly like Floyd's Shine On...

BelichickFan, I have always thought This Is the Life was largely about Portnoy. The band can say otherwise, and it is probably smart to do to avoid the controversy that might arise from such an admission, but when you read the lyrics, it totally is.

I wasn't a fan of "Never Enough Stockholm Syndrome" either and I agree it's the pot calling the kettle black.  I have no clue what he's talking about - he claims Never Enough took 'inspiration' whereas this new one is a 'ripoff'.  Never Enough was a ripoff if I've ever heard one, both riffs and vocal stylings.

However, in light of the other "similarities" that have come up regarding this album, it's just too much for me.

It's not the end of the world though - DT lost the plot with me for one album out of...10?  Life goes on.  I'll hope for the best for the next go-round.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: December 15, 2011, 11:42:26 PM »
nevermind
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2011, 11:45:14 PM »
I really didn't want to participate in these drama threads but here 'goes.

Anyone else notice the similarity between all this and the American Chopper drama?  You have one side, Paul Jr./DT, just trying to go about their business doing what they do and taking the high road by not saying anything bad about anyone.

Then you have Paul Sr./MP taking any and every opportunity to rip on the others and talk as much shit as possible.  It's classless and tasteless and it makes me so sad to see the one side always trying to destroy the other side for no real reason.  It's also childish and pathetic and blah blah blah.

Dunno why MP can't just keep his mouth shut.

As it stands now I hope DT and MP NEVER do anything together again.  Full live AA Suite?  Bye.  Best of Times live with JP's best solo ever?  Bye.  And there's only one person to blame for it all and that's MP.

What a fucking tragedy.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #114 on: December 15, 2011, 11:45:35 PM »
BMUBMD is nothing like this song any more than any of the other claimed "rip offs" people have claimed over the years (with the rare legit exceptions). Basically, DT admitted to an inspiration corner, so people took it as reason to hunt for them even where they are only vague "similar vibes". This is no different imo.

MP shouldn't have said a thing, because there's no issue with this, just as there really wasn't while he was in the band. What is it with drummers and out-of-line passive aggressive digs at DT lately? :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #115 on: December 15, 2011, 11:57:15 PM »
BMUBMD is nothing like this song any more than any of the other claimed "rip offs" people have claimed over the years (with the rare legit exceptions). Basically, DT admitted to an inspiration corner, so people took it as reason to hunt for them even where they are only vague "similar vibes". This is no different imo.

MP shouldn't have said a thing, because there's no issue with this, just as there really wasn't while he was in the band. What is it with drummers and out-of-line passive aggressive digs at DT lately? :biggrin:

All frustrated guys venting their resentment at not having what they wanted to have. And I will keep myself from saying what I currently think of Portnoy, don't want to be banned from here.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2011, 12:04:37 AM »

There was nothing "passive" about Marco's post earlier. He was very direct about his feelings toward the band, to say the least. The whole "passive aggressive digs" thing is Mike Portnoy's territory, and there's nothing "lately" about it.

Kev and Bellichick, I agree with you guys tremendously on This Is the Life. I have felt that ever since first hearing the song.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 12:10:31 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #117 on: December 16, 2011, 12:06:03 AM »
  Basically, DT admitted to an inspiration corner, so people took it as reason to hunt for them even where they are only vague "similar vibes". 

Not true.  I had noticed a bunch of these so-called similarities before I was even aware of DT's Inspiration Corner thingy.  Assuming that people were looking for them is faulty.  It might have been true for some, but not for many.  I know that for me, many of them were far too obvious to not detect.  And I never went in looking to hear something; some were just so obvious that it was like, "Hey, that part sounds like that part from that one song," or something like that.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2011, 12:14:45 AM »
  Basically, DT admitted to an inspiration corner, so people took it as reason to hunt for them even where they are only vague "similar vibes". 

Not true.  I had noticed a bunch of these so-called similarities before I was even aware of DT's Inspiration Corner thingy.  Assuming that people were looking for them is faulty.  It might have been true for some, but not for many.  I know that for me, many of them were far too obvious to not detect.  And I never went in looking to hear something; some were just so obvious that it was like, "Hey, that part sounds like that part from that one song," or something like that.

Compared to the percentage of claims of DT copying I've seen over the years, there are only a tiny percentage that are legitimate, including this one (and I'm not denying that there are the few blatant ones).
To me a "similar sort of feel" such as this is completely vague and insignificant, because most of the time there is no musical similarity at all (which again is the case here). I even recall one that you brought up recently that was little more than a similar and common analog keyboard sound.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #119 on: December 16, 2011, 12:33:14 AM »
And frankly, had JP never even said he like Red's album, noone would have noticed : some people have too much time on their hands or must be really bored to go and look for the tiniest little analogy between such and such songs.
And btw, those kinds of posts give me a "Look what I've found, I'm a genius and DT are plagiarists" kind of vibe that's becoming stale, if not disgusting.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #120 on: December 16, 2011, 12:35:34 AM »
I don't want to get into a big debate over the legitimacy of said borrowed stuff right now, but my point still stands that many did not go looking for stuff like that.

Offline lithium112

« Reply #121 on: December 16, 2011, 01:40:19 AM »
And frankly, had JP never even said he like Red's album, noone would have noticed : some people have too much time on their hands or must be really bored to go and look for the tiniest little analogy between such and such songs.
And btw, those kinds of posts give me a "Look what I've found, I'm a genius and DT are plagiarists" kind of vibe that's becoming stale, if not disgusting.

B.Lee

I don't think anybody is claiming to be a genius for noticing the similarity between BMUBMD and Red's song. I'd never heard of Red until I saw JP's list so I checked them out and this was literally the first song I listened to and immediately thought of BMUBMD. The intro riff + first verse passages sound incredibly similar. It's not a tiny analogy. You are fooling yourself if you don't admit that the two sections are incredibly similar on first impression.

To add to this though, I think it's true that nobody would have noticed anything unless they were already a fan of both bands. I actually think it's good that JP put the album on his Top 10 list - makes it clear that he's not trying to hide it.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #122 on: December 16, 2011, 01:56:55 AM »

B.Lee

I don't think anybody is claiming to be a genius for noticing the similarity between BMUBMD and Red's song. I'd never heard of Red until I saw JP's list so I checked them out and this was literally the first song I listened to and immediately thought of BMUBMD. The intro riff + first verse passages sound incredibly similar. It's not a tiny analogy. You are fooling yourself if you don't admit that the two sections are incredibly similar on first impression.

To add to this though, I think it's true that nobody would have noticed anything unless they were already a fan of both bands. I actually think it's good that JP put the album on his Top 10 list - makes it clear that he's not trying to hide it.

Where in my post did I say there were not similar parts? I'm just tired of the tendency some have to jump on every occasion to accuse DT of plagiarism, period.

B.Lee

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: December 16, 2011, 02:24:16 AM »

I'm not fooling myself. They're only vaguely similar, far from incredibly similar.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: December 16, 2011, 03:10:45 AM »
The songs are similar but MP is being a total dickhead here, very disappointing.  I'm the first to say that ADTOE didn't really excite me like other DT albums do, but I never want to see Mike Portnoy back in this band.  Please DT, get a live DVD out of this tour so I don't have to watch DT with MP.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Hprog

Re: Red - Feed The Machine
« Reply #125 on: December 16, 2011, 03:12:41 AM »
Funny how perspectives change.  When Mike was in the band, this sort of thing was perfectly fine, and he would be all over anyone who publicly criticized.  Now that he is out of the band, it's suddenly okay to mock and make plagiarism accusations.  Interesting.

Exactly this.

I've been away from the forum ever since MP showed up trying to gain sympathy, 'cause I've kept myself from saying what I think of his current attitude towards DT, avoiding being kicked out. In any case, I think this speaks volumes of him. He wouldn't have a minimum of courtesy to say "Congrats to my old buddies in DT for that Grammy nomination", considering how he always claims DT is his baby and how he loves the other guys, but when he finally opens his mouth (types something), it is a sarcastic attack on the band, whilst aaaaalways stating that he has moved on and is happy.

I will always regard MP as a great drummer and I'll remain interested in his musical output (Adrenaline Mob didn't do it for me, though), but as a person, I'm really disappointed in him for this kind of attitude.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: December 16, 2011, 04:11:39 AM »
I noticed that MP was on DTF yesterday, and then a few hours later posts about this, which was posted only a few hours before here on DTF. Just like how MP mentioned the IaW/ADTOE after it was posted on the forums, and both times posts as if it was something blatantly obvious he noticed himself.
What he's doing is just reposting a negative DT thread from here on his own forum. But linking a negative thread would be too obvious, so he just posts it without source as if it's something he noticed on his own to try and give it weight.

But let's consider that option. If he truly noticed these things himself, wouldn't he post his observations first when he apparently noticed them himself? Am I to believe that he didn't think much of ADTOE, but knew the song well enough to notice an at best vague similarity with a song that he would only have been aware of from going out of his way to listen to an album he only noticed from JP's favourite albums? Because if he knew the album on his own, he would have noticed the similarity at some point in the past several months, instead of posting it just hours after someone here "found" it, which was only shortly after JP mentioned the album. So there's no doubt he saw it from here. And that can only mean he is just reposting a negative thread from here to stir up negativity. Reposting an accusation of DT plagiarism and then accusing them of plagiarism yourself (without acknowledging where he got it, which is ironically plagiarism in itself) is not just "posting openly". It's posting negatively. If it was just posting openly, he'd be open enough to point out that he saw it here, and agreed with it. Then he claims that even though he didn't name the DT song, that the fact we knew what he was referring to was damning evidence. How convenient! Of course people knew what he was referring to, because they read it here beforehand just as he did.

I get that MP is a straight shooter, and I like that honesty to a degree, but if he was truly in a good place and had moved on, he could post about the good and the bad, instead of such strict emphasis on bad, and indiscriminately reposting every little negative thing he can about DT no matter how little credibility it has. Yet aside from negative news, DT is interestingly absent from everything MP posts. FYI - posting "It couldn't possibly be blatant formula plagiarism now could it...??" as a rhetorical question is a straight out accusation, not a mere question being posed innocently.
He does it on purpose knowing full well that bullshit tabloid Blabbermouth will sniff it out and repost it in an attempt to make DT look bad to the general public. It is intentional sabotage, how can it be anything else? If it was just honesty, he would be just as quick to comment on DT's successes, such as the Grammy nomination, or the success of ADTOE on Billboard, but those don't have a negative spin to draw on without being even more truly petty.

I don't blame the guy for being upset about the DT situation at all. It's justified. But his actions in response to it are totally not. Don't they say the best "revenge" is to live well? He's got a ton of new music coming out. Let that speak for itself, instead of continuing to burn bridges to the point where they look like the aftermath of the ADTOE cover.

Everyone knows that I am the first to defend MP when people are unfairly jumping to conclusions, but you can't defend his actions here, especially when he's trying to force another mountain out of a molehill.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 04:18:26 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #127 on: December 16, 2011, 04:46:53 AM »
To me the obvious answer to MP's behaviour is that not only he is mad that "his baby" is doing better that ever without him, and even getting a Grammy nomination, but mostly that he is trying to get some publicity for AM and his future projects, since the musical output itself at the moment has excited very few people.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #128 on: December 16, 2011, 07:09:23 AM »
This is the same thing along the lines of Never Enough, Peruvian Skies, Octavarium, The Root of All Evil, etc., as a MP forum user has already pointed out. Nothing to see here, except some questionable MP comments.

/thread
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #129 on: December 16, 2011, 07:16:44 AM »
This is awesome.  I love BMU BMD.  I like the Red song too.  I've got another band to check out now - 3 more CDs to buy.

It's all  :metal

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #130 on: December 16, 2011, 07:47:02 AM »
Yeah that was a completely unprovoked dick move by MP. I mean they weren't even mentioning the song similarities in that thread. Not only rude for a former band member, but he just totally derailed the thread... not cool.

I will say this though. The similarities are undeniable. While I won't like the song less or anything, you can be damn sure that every time I hear it I'm gonna laugh about this whole thing.

I honestly am surprised how the song got put out sounding so similar. I would have hoped he would have noticed and made a few changes... but then again Elaine ripped off a Ziggy by accident.

Offline Miyazaki74

« Reply #131 on: December 16, 2011, 08:07:22 AM »
Does Mike not realize he will get criticized when he says negative stuff like that. Does he not care about fan reaction? I mean he must because he then complains when he gets criticized. I mean the guy just doesn't learn his lesson. Having said that, I really don't care about any of this. I find it amusing to be honest.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #132 on: December 16, 2011, 08:09:41 AM »
Nice detective work, BVD. ;) :tup :tup  What you said is probably right on the money.  It appears as if Portnoy really didn't learn a damn thing from the 12-step program and that writing the songs was merely grandstanding. 

"Kindness - it's not that hard."

"I once thought it better to be right
But now I have finally seen the light
Sometimes you've got to be wrong
And learn from mistakes
I live with serenity now
Not self-righteous hate."

Yeah right.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: December 16, 2011, 08:20:54 AM »
I've now had the chance to sleep on MP's most recent comments, and I'm still bothered.  This is how I feel at this moment, right or wrong.  If he feels the need to play the role of a villain and insert himself into other band's worlds to create negativity, then I can just as easily express my dislike of his villianist tendencies to the best of my ability.  When MP does any New York meet-n-greets in the coming year or two, I will be there as a progressive metal fan loudly booing him.  When he plays in New York with his new bands, I will be there loudly booing him at his hometown show as he walks into the venue.  When a villian is crying out to be booed, I'll boo.  I won't buy an MP ticket though.  I refuse to support him.  I've gone to events before just to single-handedly boo villians -- granted, they were sporting events.  You want to be a villian, MP?  You got it.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Mat JB

« Reply #134 on: December 16, 2011, 08:25:14 AM »
Five Eight will have fun with this

Offline Mat JB

« Reply #135 on: December 16, 2011, 08:30:25 AM »
Reaaly, though, I hope everyone involved can  :chill and go on making good music. More rounds of negativity won't benefit anyone.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #136 on: December 16, 2011, 08:33:20 AM »
I just can't wait for MP to come in here, explain himself and post about how he's surprised about the level of hatred he's getting from posters on DTF. It's gonna be interesting.

Offline Vajra

« Reply #137 on: December 16, 2011, 08:37:23 AM »
Only four pages in this thread? I saw this news over at Metallicabb where they posted the blabbermouth link, and I expected this to be a 20 page thread lol.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: Red - Feed The Machine
« Reply #138 on: December 16, 2011, 08:46:51 AM »
Funny how perspectives change.  When Mike was in the band, this sort of thing was perfectly fine, and he would be all over anyone who publicly criticized.  Now that he is out of the band, it's suddenly okay to mock and make plagiarism accusations.  Interesting.

Your response to him over there was masterful.  :hefdaddy

Offline Vajra

« Reply #139 on: December 16, 2011, 08:47:39 AM »
https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=167305

What I find interesting about this article is not the similarities, that's expected, what I find interesting is that BMU,BMD sounds just as similar to the Red song in the same way as DT songs have had similarities in the past, meanwhile Mike Portnoy was in the band with them during those songs, as he was largely responsible for those influential similarities, yet he always defended those songs. I don't understand why Portnoy is criticizing the band for doing the same things he himself was responsible for when he was in the band.

He claims this song sounds like a pure rip off, but in all honesty, it doesn't sound any more rip-offish then songs like Home, Solitary Shell, This Dying Soul, Never Enough, Forsaken, Octavarium, etc etc etc sounded, and he was all a part of those songs. I guess now that he's outside of the band, he really has an understanding of how fans feel about DT's music, and imo, he should apologize to the fans for all their criticisms, since now he's doing the exact same thing. He was always very against DT fanboy anger, yet he now is doing the same thing.