Poll

What grade would you give the SF set list?

A
32 (17.5%)
B
99 (54.1%)
C
40 (21.9%)
D
11 (6%)
F
1 (0.5%)

Total Members Voted: 178

Voting closed: July 07, 2017, 08:27:45 AM

Author Topic: What grade would you give the SF set list? (SET LIST SPOILER INSIDE)  (Read 6547 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: What grade would you give the SF set list? (SET LIST SPOILER INSIDE)
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2011, 10:43:58 AM »
I'm a little confused that there were no FII tunes, given that some of them have gotten short shrift in the past. I figured MP was the main ctiric of FII and we might see YNM, NM, LitS, Anna Lee, etc.
James said in some interview during the European tour last summer that he doesn't like New Millennium so I'm not expecting to see that song in the setlist anytime soon. But on topic: I'd give this setlist a C; some great songs, some stuff I'm not crazy about.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2011, 10:45:31 AM »
I give it a C.  No LTL, Metropolis, BAI or Tuscany?  Any one of those additions and I would give it a B.  Closing with Outcry and encoring with UAGM is pretty weak IMO.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2011, 11:32:08 AM »
Haha...I knew they were gonna end the set with Outcry. This is a great setlist. This reminds me of Opeths recent setlist, not what people expected and are dissappointed.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2011, 11:56:26 AM »
I'm hoping for a few changes for the European leg as alot (all?) of these non ADTOE songs were played on the recent tour. Wouldn't to hear any of them again tbh.

No BAI is a surprise. Maybe they can't play it all the way through...

Still no MP lyric songs I see.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2011, 11:58:54 AM »
I'm not too happy about The Silent man, Forsaken, These walls and Endless sacrifice. These aren't bad songs, but there are plenty of songs that I would rather see, especially because I saw the last three this year. Outcry isn't one of my favorites, but it's a new song, so it's definitely gonna be interesting, and Under a glass moon is a fantastic song, but I'm not sure it works as an encore.

The rest is incredible. Truly incredible. So I'll give it a B.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2011, 12:05:59 PM »
I think this setlist is a nice change. It did its job and surpirsed a lot of people, as the setlist was getting predictable.

One reason their is no BAI is time. If they did play the song it would mean less songs, and who wants less songs. Forsaken works great after OTBOA. And Keeping Manginis solo for us US fans to see is cool, and nice.

This set makes me sad they're not coming this way. The next leg they better come to the SW or else I'm gonna have to break some legs.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2011, 12:13:49 PM »
Really quite good.  Their choices from older albums were all great, except maybe Through My Words, which isn't really a bad pick.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2011, 12:33:58 PM »
I have no idea of these US grades but I think A is the best one. So my choice is B
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2011, 12:35:08 PM »
A, not A++
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2011, 12:39:04 PM »
This set makes me sad they're not coming this way. The next leg they better come to the SW or else I'm gonna have to break some legs.

Haha, I'm actually hoping they switch setlists for the second leg, in which case I might finally forgive them for not coming to Arizona on the first leg. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2011, 12:43:34 PM »
Hopefully we see some of the rotation in the set tonight in LA. I like this set and I gave it a B, but I'd prefer to see a better setlist when I see them in Chicago.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2011, 12:45:50 PM »
I give it a B.  I love UAGM, but that's a really weird choice for an encore.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hacko

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2011, 01:07:50 PM »
Definitely a B.

BAI is THE song of the record and they don't play it.
Other than that I only really have a problem with Forsaken, which is a snoozefest even live. BMUBMD is my least favorite song on the album and I really pretty much dislike all of ToT, but having experienced the difference between live and record songs from ToT I'm pretty sure I'd rock to both songs live.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2011, 01:29:40 PM »
I apologise if this is considered a spoiler (I doubt it) but when I saw the stage design all I could think of was this

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2011, 01:30:31 PM »
edit due to double post

Offline IronEarthTheater

« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2011, 01:31:45 PM »
I'm not going to complain about personal choices, b/c we all have our own favorites.  I actually love Outcry as the prelim closer, as it is my fav song on the new album.  But UAGM as the encore is a bit weird.  Honestly, I'm surprised BAI isn't there.  I would add that  - if you have a lot of faith in your fans you could even close with it instead of UAGM.  That would move it from a B to an A- for me.  I'm not a huge fan of Forsaken or These Walls, but they're certainly fine.  But I agree, if I were actually at the show, while waiting for the encore I would assume BAI or LTL, and if I heard the opening part of UAGM, I would assume that there would be another song afterwards.  Then, when there wasn't, I'd be disappointed even though the song choices as a whole are strong.  Sometimes, it's a matter of timing and expectations.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2011, 01:33:35 PM »
Wait....

No Lost Not Forgotten or Breaking All Illusions?

Under a Glass Moon as the encore?

Ummmm......
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2011, 01:53:07 PM »
Actually now that I look at the set. They're giving us US fans a chance to see their European set along with ADTOE. Also, after the onslaught of Ytsejam you've got a nice rest for JM and Mangini before going into The Great Debate, which works well before On The Backs of Angels. Outcry works great as a closer, and it makes sense since they've been playing Under A Glass Moon to have it as an Encore as images and Words is their classic album.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2011, 01:59:26 PM »
Anybody else notice how different the tracklisting on ADTOE is to the setlist? For example, the tour for ToT had rotating setlists but you could usually find As I Am opening, This Dying Soul near the beginning, Endless Sacrifice and Stream of Consciousness somewhere in the middle, and In the Name of God very near the end. The setlists for the next few albums followed a very similar pattern: bombastic opener as the opener, notable middle songs near the middle, and giant final epic to close the set. (The SC tour is an anomaly due to ITPOE getting split over two tracks, but the idea's still the same.)

In this setlist, the songs are all jumbled up. OTBOA, the "bombastic opener", is actually put in the middle, while "notable middle songs" BITS and Outcry are actually put at the top and bottom of the set respectively. The album's closer, Beneath the Surface, is also put in the middle, while the giant, sprawling signature epic (which notably isn't the album's final track) isn't included at all.

Basically, we can see here how DT's somewhat predictable pattern has impacted our expectations of what a DT performance should look like. And, after some consideration, it's a good thing they're changing it. DT is very clearly progressing and moving away from the pattern evident in their recent albums.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2011, 02:00:24 PM »
Honestly, the songs on ADTOE aren't too much of a stretch to mix around the set.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2011, 02:08:29 PM »
I have a feeling they were going to play breaking all illusions as a second encore but maybe ran out of time. If you go past a certain hour in certain venues, the workers get paid a lot of extra $. Since it was the first show maybe things weren't timed perfectly. One encore song makes no sense to me. I bet you hear breaking all illusions to close the next show.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2011, 02:10:03 PM »
One encore song makes no sense to me.
All the European shows had one encore song.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2011, 02:15:03 PM »
I have a feeling they were going to play breaking all illusions as a second encore but maybe ran out of time. If you go past a certain hour in certain venues, the workers get paid a lot of extra $. Since it was the first show maybe things weren't timed perfectly. One encore song makes no sense to me. I bet you hear breaking all illusions to close the next show.

I also thought only one (short-ish) encore was strange, but I can confirm they didn't run out of time.  They were scheduled to play from 9:15-11:15 and they stuck very close to that. 

Offline EuropaEndlos

« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2011, 02:28:43 PM »
Not bad -- give it a C...  Very similar to the European shows plus the new songs.  Happy to see the new songs, was hoping to see some different songs.

Not the biggest Endless Sacrifice or Forsaken fan.  Fatal Tragedy would be cool I guess.

Outcry to end the set is a little weird, really thought it'd be Breaking All Illusions...  Hopefully eventually.

I will miss the show in NYC I think on 10/12 because of work, but I'd love to see them again at some point. 

Only caught them for the SCORE release!

Offline Optimus

• Mr. Bateman
  • I like to dissect girls.
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2011, 02:41:20 PM »
Well, it's an ok set. But I don't understand why they choose to take out CIAW and not TW. I like an acoustic version of TSM and the new songs sound great, especially BITS as an opener :tup Hoping for LTL/Metropolis AND BAI. I'm going to the show in Oslo in January. I hope that they mix it up a little until then, but they might not  :facepalm:
That's a very fine chardonnay you're drinking. I want you to clean your vagina

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2011, 02:43:28 PM »
I think this setlist is an A-. Also I know this isn't a thing really :lol but I feel like Build Me Up Break Me Down has a similar vibe to CIAW and thus might have something to do with it. Its a very similar energy between the songs.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2011, 02:51:39 PM »
That Silent Man -> Beneath the Surface is going to be really interesting to see!

Offline aXygnus

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • We seek to understand. We cry with hand in hand.
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2011, 02:54:41 PM »
I kinda wish they take out Through My Words and Fatal Tragedy, put in Through Her Eyes as the 3rd song in the acoustic spot, switch around Under A Glass Moon right before Outcry, then end with Far From Heaven / Breaking All Illusions.

Oh and put Peruvian Skies instead of Forsaken. Or something else, Forsaken is my least liked DT song (yes, even more than You Not Me).

Oh well, I guess you can't have everything.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2011, 02:59:57 PM »
. One encore song makes no sense to me. I bet you hear breaking all illusions to close the next show.

I sure freaking hope so!  Going to the Seattle show, BAI would be a perfect closer even if it meant sacrificing Endless Sacrifice and Under a Glass Moon.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Raoul Sanchez

« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2011, 03:00:13 PM »
Compared to what it could be? About a D.

I'm bored of constantly seeing Endless Sacrifice, Forsaken and These Walls do absolutely nothing for me, BMUBMD and Outcry are pretty lacking compared to the rest of ADTOE, UAGM is a weak for an encore song and the only songs I'd rank especially highly are Bridges and TGD.

Offline i am fabio

« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2011, 04:47:03 PM »
I was at the show last night...Thought the setlist was good except them encoring with only UAGM was fucking depressing as shit...i do like the song but....

Offline jammindude

« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2011, 04:55:54 PM »
I'm not going to vote because I really can't decide if it should be B or C.    If there was a B- or C+ option, I would choose that.   

The set is really good...but it's what's *missing* that's glaring.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Optimus

• Mr. Bateman
  • I like to dissect girls.
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2011, 04:58:11 PM »
I was at the show last night...Thought the setlist was good except them encoring with only UAGM was fucking depressing as shit...i do like the song but....

This. UAGM is a nice song but it's a very bad encore. It doesn't have that epic feel like COT, LTL and metropolis have.
That's a very fine chardonnay you're drinking. I want you to clean your vagina

Offline Jise

« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2011, 05:42:03 PM »
B, because I would've preferred more from ADToE in it (LNF, BAI), but it's still a great setlist.

P.D.: I fucking LOVE These Walls.

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2011, 05:46:03 PM »
WTH!? ZOMG! I was totally hoping they'd play Peruvian skies :(

Also, I don't like that they are opening with BiTS. the "oooooooo" was the worst part of the whole album for me :( but hopefully it'll go quick....

Otherwise I'm not all that concerned.
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya