Poll

What grade would you give the SF set list?

A
32 (17.5%)
B
99 (54.1%)
C
40 (21.9%)
D
11 (6%)
F
1 (0.5%)

Total Members Voted: 178

Voting closed: July 07, 2017, 08:27:45 AM

Author Topic: What grade would you give the SF set list? (SET LIST SPOILER INSIDE)  (Read 6566 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: What grade would you give the SF set list? (SET LIST SPOILER INSIDE)
« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2011, 09:22:02 PM »
I gave it a B.

My least favorite songs by a long shot in the entire set ran together:

11. Forsaken
12. Through My Words
13. Fatal Tragedy

This is mitigated because my least favorite songs on the new album by far were not played:

Lost Not Forgotten
Far From Heaven

Offline Cranky

« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2011, 12:07:38 AM »
Seeing this set list played for myself in Seattle, I was actually very pleased.
It was funny, because Jame's mic was way too low, and inaudible on the very first verse of Bridges in the Sky, which is the first song in the set.. Then as he was walking around, his mic was making that loud screeching noise, and he just had his look on his face, like, well fuck....... But, I thought it was funny and charming.. Shows that even Dream Theater messes up from time to time, (Even though it was a technical difficulty)

I would have preferred the other set list, but seeing the acoustic break with James and John was great!

The only song I didn't like, or wasn't fond of, was The Great Debate, I think it was kind of a bad choice IMO, it's just kind of boring and slowly paced for a live setting.

I gave it a B for several reasons,
Pros:
I loved most of the songs,
They played great, James was on fire that night!
There was a lot of energy with the tracks.
The acoustic break was great, and I think I prefer it to the piano alternate, even though I love Wait For Sleep and Far From Heaven a great deal more than the Silent Man and Beneath The Surface.
I was glad to see Under A Glass Moon live, it's one of my favourites, and James sang it near perfectly....

And, before I start cons, a little disclaimer... I am not in any way complaining, the show was SO INCREDIBLY FANTASTIC!
Cons:
I am not fond of Forsaken and Outcry.. Caught in a Web is one of my favourite DT songs, and I really wanted to see it live, and I really enjoy Breaking All Illusions over Outcry... Still, Outcry was great live, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, seeing as though I wasn't too fond of it on the album.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #107 on: September 29, 2011, 04:35:37 AM »
And on another note, I seriously don't get the dislike for Forsaken on this forum.  I'm glad it is the minority opinion as far as the larger fan base is considered, because it's a terrific song and went over incredibly well live.
I don't have anything against it.  I just don't have anything for it.  There is nothing special or distinctive about it, and it sounds like something that could have been done by any number of bands.  Even many of the DT songs I dislike are still distinctively DT, so I can find something interesting about them.  But this is just a rock song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.