Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 695554 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Queensryche - Geoff Tate is out; Todd La Torre is in (p. 26)
« Reply #945 on: October 31, 2013, 12:48:10 PM »
Um...why?

:ontome:

Seriously though, I have no idea.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #946 on: October 31, 2013, 01:02:20 PM »
In a dramatic turn of events, I actually have a screenshot of the post in question.

Huh.  I always thought it was a Star Wars reference.  (Although, now I find out that that character's name is actually spelled "Bossk".)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #947 on: October 31, 2013, 02:55:14 PM »
In a dramatic turn of events, I actually have a screenshot of the post in question.

Huh.  I always thought it was a Star Wars reference.  (Although, now I find out that that character's name is actually spelled "Bossk".)

So glad I asked now. Didn't understand a word (or number of it except for the bit about having nothing better to do  :biggrin:)

Yeah and I knew Bosk1 would know that SW's bossk was spelled that way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #948 on: November 01, 2013, 11:28:21 AM »
Okay, check this out.  VERY good quality of Queensryche playing NM156 last night.  One thing that makes this performance extra special is that this is the first time in YEARS (I don't recall the exact date, but I believe it goes back to the early '90s) that they have played the song in its entirety without chopping off the ending and/or the last half of the guitar solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70Yq909-kBs
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #949 on: November 01, 2013, 11:46:10 AM »
Sounded pretty good, but jeez, the band looked bored out of their minds.  Not saying they have to run all over the stage, but there was a severe lack of energy on stage.  Maybe I am just remembering how great it was on the Promised Land tour when Tate's performance of it was phenomenal (back when he still had a voice and a good stage presence).

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #950 on: November 01, 2013, 01:18:25 PM »
Okay, check this out.  VERY good quality of Queensryche playing NM156 last night.  One thing that makes this performance extra special is that this is the first time in YEARS (I don't recall the exact date, but I believe it goes back to the early '90s) that they have played the song in its entirety without chopping off the ending and/or the last half of the guitar solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70Yq909-kBs

Let's see Tate and his employees try that. On second thoughts, I'd rather not.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #951 on: November 15, 2013, 12:35:11 PM »
I was just shopping for tickets for Tommy Emmanuel and saw that QR is performing a month earlier, I had to stop for a second and think about which one it was, it's tateryche.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #952 on: November 16, 2013, 04:23:07 AM »
I have to jump into this thread to put in my two cents.  My apologies if I'm way off topic:  I really really like the new QR album.  Todd is an incredible talent, and the music finally sounds like Queensryche again in my opinion.  The album is quite a bit on the short side, but I appreciate quality over quantity; I'd rather they put out 38 minutes of consistently solid music (which they did) than 75 minutes of filler just to use up the whole CD.

Without having to look through the whole thread, has anyone heard Tateryche's album?  I haven't even bothered with it because I find Tate's behavior over the past year or so to be so childish.  I heard part of the song "Cold" and it wasn't that bad, but it just didn't sound like Queensryche at all.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #953 on: November 16, 2013, 11:12:28 AM »
Without having to look through the whole thread, has anyone heard Tateryche's album?  I haven't even bothered with it because I find Tate's behavior over the past year or so to be so childish.  I heard part of the song "Cold" and it wasn't that bad, but it just didn't sound like Queensryche at all.

Yeah. In all honesty, I actually like two of the songs on it, but the rest is really bland and poor. I do think Dedicated To Chaos is worse than Frequency Unknown though.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #954 on: November 17, 2013, 02:22:11 AM »
I heard part of the song "Cold" and it wasn't that bad, but it just didn't sound like Queensryche at all.

That is by far the best song on the album.  The rest is absolute crap, one of the worst albums I've ever bought, if not the worst.

I was just shopping for tickets for Tommy Emmanuel and saw that QR is performing a month earlier, I had to stop for a second and think about which one it was, it's tateryche.

Fuck, would have been awesome if it was the realy Queensryche.  Tommy Emmanuel is amazing, one of the best guitarists in the world, so underrated.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #955 on: November 17, 2013, 08:29:55 AM »
Sounded pretty good, but jeez, the band looked bored out of their minds.  Not saying they have to run all over the stage, but there was a severe lack of energy on stage.  Maybe I am just remembering how great it was on the Promised Land tour when Tate's performance of it was phenomenal (back when he still had a voice and a good stage presence).

Wilton and jackson have always been trees on stage when I've seen them - DeGarmo and Tate had all the stage presence and now they have neither.  I do like Todd though ............new album was decent (best in ages) and looking forward to see if they can take it to the next level.   Not too many bands have put 3 albums back to back of the quality of RFO through Empire.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #956 on: November 17, 2013, 09:31:22 AM »
When I saw them live back in July, Wilton and Jackson were pretty inanimate and while Parker was better, he wasn't much better. Out of all of them, Todd and Scott looked like they were having the most fun.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #957 on: November 17, 2013, 10:52:09 AM »
If my memory serves me right, the band has had an issue or two behind-the-scenes with their touring management lately, so that's probably it. And of course, who knows if they've been dealing with even more behind-the-scenes problems with Tate lately either. They'll probably liven up next year, once the trial is behind them.

The whole band was really passionate and lively when I saw them back in March, and I was right at the front of the stage when I saw them.

Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #958 on: November 24, 2013, 06:47:20 PM »
Queensryche - Ad Lucem (mini movie)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_34YZaER70

While at first I thought of Law and Order, it did suck me in on the second and third listens and I think it phenomenal, especially given that the entire shoot was done in one day. At any rate, I've never seen anything like it done by any other band as far as a mini movie/music video. I have to applaud all involved in this, the producers, actors, band, etc. Very well done and very progressive which is what QR really is.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #959 on: November 25, 2013, 12:21:49 AM »
The video is well done and the music flows nicely throughout

Offline T-ski

« Reply #960 on: November 25, 2013, 09:53:46 AM »
Todd shows off his drum chops at a sound check.  A little sumpin' sumpin' for the DT folks at the 2:20 mark....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCY2DFzS7og
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #961 on: November 25, 2013, 11:44:39 AM »
I knew it was gonna be that drum part.  ;D

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #962 on: November 27, 2013, 05:45:29 PM »
haha... sweet!!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #963 on: January 14, 2014, 11:46:17 AM »
So yesterday they posted a video for Don't Look Back on their Facebook page, but mentioned this interesting tidbit in the post:

"The first tune Michael and Todd wrote together....lot's more in the works, tracking vocals today for some new material as well!!"

So they're working on new stuff already? Awesome!
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #964 on: January 14, 2014, 12:11:56 PM »
I wouldnt be surprised if something is released this year.  And hopefully that court case is done in the next couple of weeks and they can just focus on the music.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #965 on: January 14, 2014, 02:37:31 PM »
Yeah, I think 12 months after the first record is more than capable for them to release a new album.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #966 on: January 14, 2014, 02:43:13 PM »
Just master the thing competently this time please.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #967 on: January 14, 2014, 02:46:02 PM »

+1 . I haven't even listened to the new disc due to all the folks saying the master is shite.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #968 on: January 14, 2014, 03:18:21 PM »

+1 . I haven't even listened to the new disc due to all the folks saying the master is shite.
Its a great album. The only 2 issues are the length and the mastering.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #969 on: January 14, 2014, 03:26:40 PM »
I really couldn't call the album great. We're our expectations so low that this constitutes as great?

My expectations were very low, because as far as I'm concerned, this band still put out shitty music for years, Tate or no Tate. I'm generally OK with the album, but it feels like a quick EP and the real album is to come. Their next album, IMO, needs to be a LOT better than what they released last year. A LOT.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #970 on: January 14, 2014, 03:39:35 PM »
I really couldn't call the album great. We're our expectations so low that this constitutes as great?

My expectations were very low, because as far as I'm concerned, this band still put out shitty music for years, Tate or no Tate. I'm generally OK with the album, but it feels like a quick EP and the real album is to come. Their next album, IMO, needs to be a LOT better than what they released last year. A LOT.

I played it tonight and yes, its a great QR album to me. I'm more likely to reach for this than Promised Land. And certainly anything since then. Yes we have been starved of anything resembling QR for a long time but this set of songs is enjoyable even without all the drama attached. IMO.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #971 on: January 14, 2014, 03:49:44 PM »

I played it tonight and yes, its a great QR album to me.

Agreed 100%.  I get that in terms of quantity, it feels like a quick EP.  There just isn't enough there.  They needed to make the songs a bit longer, and they needed maybe another couple of songs.  But in terms of the quality of what is there, yes, this was an excellent album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #972 on: January 14, 2014, 04:06:14 PM »
Things that amuse me as I grow older:

Hemispheres would be considered an EP now.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #973 on: January 14, 2014, 04:51:19 PM »
The new QR was very very good.  But I think it was a pretty safe release for the band.  With that being said, I've played this thing many times throughout the year and find it quite addicting; similar to the new DT.  But I expect the next QR release (hopefully this year) to be a step up.  The band should know Todd better and I expect some experimentation with sounds and lengths.  Plus I would like some heavier material to come out of it too.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #974 on: January 14, 2014, 05:02:25 PM »

I'd agree with that - a mid range effort and I feel expectations did play a part in the fawning reception it received.  I'm as excited as anyone about QR getting back to something resembling their best , but I also want to see improvement on this effort.  They've admitted themselves that it was rushed out and , for me , I'm not sure there's too many songs on it that I like from start to finish.  There's usually something in the songs that doesn't sit right with me -  eg Repentance...............love the chorus , don't like the pre-chorus.

I do think they have the right man fronting now , so the potential is surely there.  Just a matter of whether Wilton and Co. have the songs.

Like Lowdz I would probably be more likely to play this than Promised Land - but then other than One More Time I don't play much off that anyway :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #975 on: January 14, 2014, 05:04:54 PM »
I agree with TAC.  I like the album a lot.  I use the word great with albums for the true gems.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #976 on: January 15, 2014, 06:14:05 AM »
I do think they have the right man fronting now , so the potential is surely there.  Just a matter of whether Wilton and Co. have the songs.

That's a big "if". I still need convincing on that one.

Like Lowdz I would probably be more likely to play this than Promised Land - but then other than One More Time I don't play much off that anyway :)

They lost me on Promised Land. Thought the tour was a great show..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #977 on: January 15, 2014, 06:23:49 PM »

Its a great album. The only 2 issues are the length and the mastering.

Agree.  "Great" may be a little strong.  Very, VERY good is where I'd put it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #978 on: January 15, 2014, 07:38:19 PM »
Lowering the volume and then applying a bass boost equalizer actually makes the album a little easier on the ears, but then, we shouldn't have to do that...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #979 on: January 16, 2014, 05:07:17 AM »
I think the album is amazing, and the production is way too loud, but for some reason it doesn't bother me all that much.