Author Topic: 2011-10-12 - Beacon Theatre - New York City, NY  (Read 28787 times)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2011-10-12 - Beacon Theatre - New York City, NY
« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2011, 07:39:29 AM »
OK, slight change of plans since it looks like Jen won't be able to make it. I will be heading in at about 2:30, and hopefully at Port Authority for 3. I'm then proceeding to my usual NYC bar, the Rattle n Hum for a late lunch. It's at 14 East 33rd, right off of 33rd and 5th. Then I'll head up to St. James Gate around 5:30-6. I'm about to PM tick and mebert my cell # and if anyone else wants to contact me I'll be checking DTF on my phone during the trip.
Sorry I couldn't make it to the bar. My buddy got hung up and didn't get into the city till way late.

What a show last night!

What a hangover today. Time to get ready for work. Yuk!

I was looking forward to experiencing tick in person.  Maybe next time!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2011, 08:23:57 AM »
Hmm I was actually a bit disappointed with the crowd last night actually.  Me and my friend were the only people standing throughout the concert in my whole section.  C'mon people!  I know its the balcony and seats are provided, but shit its Dream Theater headlining, get up and get into it!  It felt weird that basically there was no life up in the upper sections.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #107 on: October 13, 2011, 08:34:14 AM »
Great show last night.  Here's the setlist:

Bridges in the Sky 
These Walls 
Build Me Up, Break Me Down 
Endless Sacrifice 
Drum Solo 
YtseJam
The Silent Man
Beneath the Surface
Outcry 
On the Backs of Angels
Forsaken
Through My Words
Fatal Tragedy
Breaking All Illusions

Encore:
Under a Glass Moon
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #108 on: October 13, 2011, 09:40:29 AM »
Hmm I was actually a bit disappointed with the crowd last night actually.  Me and my friend were the only people standing throughout the concert in my whole section.  C'mon people!  I know its the balcony and seats are provided, but shit its Dream Theater headlining, get up and get into it!  It felt weird that basically there was no life up in the upper sections.

I learned my lesson last time I was at the beacon. NEVER get a balcony seat. You can't stand up and the crowd is super lame. I was on the floor this time and it was WAY better.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: October 13, 2011, 09:41:43 AM »
I ws in the last row on the floor and everyone was standing.

Mangini is like a human octopus.  For real.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Ch

« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2011, 09:58:09 AM »
I ws in the last row on the floor and everyone was standing.

Mangini is like a human octopus.  For real.

He truly is. That drum solo was awe inspiring. I really want to look into pure drum artists, now.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2011, 10:03:57 AM »
Did you guys get a picture of the meet up? it would be cool if we can have a DTF meet ups album at the end of the tour.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline LearningToLive

« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2011, 10:18:16 AM »
I was in the 3rd row, all the way on the left side of the stage. It was awesome!!! And Mangini had an absolutely amazing solo!

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2011, 11:22:58 AM »

I learned my lesson last time I was at the beacon. NEVER get a balcony seat. You can't stand up and the crowd is super lame. I was on the floor this time and it was WAY better.

It's always a tricky issue.  My general rule is if everybody around you is sitting, you shouldn't be "that guy" and just stand up.  Not EVERYBODY wants to stand up at a concert and it's kind of obnoxious to be standing up when you're blocking the view of everybody behind you.  I mean, yeah, ok, it IS a concert.  But it's also a concert at a seated venue.  The seats are there for a reason...

Did you guys get a picture of the meet up? it would be cool if we can have a DTF meet ups album at the end of the tour.

I don't think there was an official "meet-up".  At various points during the night I saw mebert, zgf, axeman, Ray and Steve from the MP forum (forget their usernames), LudwigVan, Cecilia, mrjazzguitar and even ProgMaiden from a distance.  But it was all kind of informal and I just really talked to people as I ran into them in the lobby.  @tick - I kept an eye out for you, but didn't see you at all :(.  I was even hanging out in the lobby after the show as everybody was filing out.  Must've somehow still missed you.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2011, 11:35:11 AM »
People who stand in the balcony area's with seats are usually just ignorant and rude youngins! :loser: If you want to stand, don't "cheap out" and buy a ticket in the orchestra! Us older folks  :facepalm: can rock out just as much as the younger guys, we just want to sit while doing it! ;) I've spent the better part of 35 years standing and rocking out on the floor. Now, my back and knees just won't allow it! :facepalm:

Offline Derango

« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2011, 11:38:13 AM »
People who stand in the balcony area's with seats are usually just ignorant and rude youngins! :loser: If you want to stand, don't "cheap out" and buy a ticket in the orchestra! Us older folks  :facepalm: can rock out just as much as the younger guys, we just want to sit while doing it! ;) I've spent the better part of 35 years standing and rocking out on the floor. Now, my back and knees just won't allow it! :facepalm:

Yeah, this pretty much. I like standing up and rocking out and so I buy floor tickets. If you buy a balcony seat the unwritten understanding is you're probably going to be sitting down, and if you're the only guy standing up in your section, you're kinda being a jerk.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2011, 12:28:40 PM »

Yeah, this pretty much. I like standing up and rocking out and so I buy floor tickets. If you buy a balcony seat the unwritten understanding is you're probably going to be sitting down, and if you're the only guy standing up in your section, you're kinda being a jerk.

That's the biggest buncha bullshit I have ever heard lol.  It's a god damn Metal concert.  Also, I was in the last row of the lower balcony, so there was literally no one behind me.  I'm not spending 100 bucks on a ticket to stand.  I will not have my enjoyment lowered because I got a cheaper ticket.  That's outrageous.  You should stand up for the headlining act.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Ch

« Reply #117 on: October 13, 2011, 12:38:34 PM »
You paid $100 for balcony seats? You poor soul.

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: October 13, 2011, 12:40:34 PM »
I was all the way up there and stood, as I have at every concert!

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #119 on: October 13, 2011, 12:43:19 PM »

That's the biggest buncha bullshit I have ever heard lol.  It's a god damn Metal concert.  Also, I was in the last row of the lower balcony, so there was literally no one behind me.  I'm not spending 100 bucks on a ticket to stand.  I will not have my enjoyment lowered because I got a cheaper ticket.  That's outrageous.  You should stand up for the headlining act.
Lol... that's just silly.  That exact same logic could be used to justify starting your own mosh pit anywhere in the GA section of a venue, and getting upset if anybody complains that you're the only one moshing.

The unwritten rule is that the pits should be contained to the center front area of the GA floor.  Just like the unwritten rule is that floor is for standing and balcony is for sitting (unless EVERYBODY in the balcony is standing).  It's just standard concert etiquette.

One time I was at a DT show and there was this one dude standing a few rows in front of us, and he was the ONLY person standing.  So one of my friends decided to solve it by just whipping pennies at the back of his head until he got the hint and sat down.

You paid $100 for balcony seats? You poor soul.

This too.  My ticket was $80 (all fees included) and I was in the orchestra.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #120 on: October 13, 2011, 12:44:48 PM »

I think it's allowed if you're of a certain height... :)

Offline Derango

« Reply #121 on: October 13, 2011, 12:51:33 PM »
Lol... that's just silly.  That exact same logic could be used to justify starting your own mosh pit anywhere in the GA section of a venue, and getting upset if anybody complains that you're the only one moshing.

The unwritten rule is that the pits should be contained to the center front area of the GA floor.  Just like the unwritten rule is that floor is for standing and balcony is for sitting (unless EVERYBODY in the balcony is standing).  It's just standard concert etiquette.

Bingo. You're allowed to enjoy yourself to the point where you enjoying yourself significantly impacts the enjoyment of the people around you. If you're standing up without getting in anyone's way...more power to you. If you're in a section where everybody is seated and you're the guy standing up blocking somebody's view because you want to stand up and not because you have to stand up to see, you're being the jerk. They paid the exact same money you did and they can't enjoy themselves if they're looking at your butt all night.

But it sounds like you were OK in this instance.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: October 13, 2011, 01:01:44 PM »
No I did not pay 100 dollars for balcony tix.  I paid 60.  I never said 100.  I said I wouldn't pay 100 for orchestra just so I can stand up at a concert.  That's ludicrous.

Also, I was the last person in the lower balcony.  There was a walkway behind me.  No people behind me.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #123 on: October 13, 2011, 01:06:50 PM »
Hmm... were there people on the other side of the walkway whose view you would be blocking?  Seems weird that people would be upset about it if you weren't actually bothering anybody... :/

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: October 13, 2011, 01:10:00 PM »
There shouldn't have been given how freaking steep the Beacon upper balcony is. 

Offline air_putih

« Reply #125 on: October 13, 2011, 01:32:24 PM »
I paid $65 for Orchestra row J...i didnt see trivium (not my cup o tea anyway) and waited until almost 9 and buy from the guy outside...get inside and DT started right away...everybody around me headbanging-fistpumpin-singing along and it was THE best night of my life !!!... Well maybe second,cause you can't top watching Score in RC.....

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #126 on: October 13, 2011, 01:33:03 PM »
No I did not pay 100 dollars for balcony tix.  I paid 60.  I never said 100.  I said I wouldn't pay 100 for orchestra just so I can stand up at a concert.  That's ludicrous.

Also, I was the last person in the lower balcony.  There was a walkway behind me.  No people behind me.

There are more advantages to the floor than standing like being closer and getting more subwoofer sound. Standing just makes it way better.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: October 13, 2011, 01:42:13 PM »

There are more advantages to the floor than standing like being closer and getting more subwoofer sound. Standing just makes it way better.

:facepalm:

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #128 on: October 13, 2011, 01:51:10 PM »
Is what I said not true? You clearly get more subs on the floor, its closer and you can stand. What's the problem?

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: October 13, 2011, 02:27:42 PM »
7 strings arguement seems to be that its a metal concert so its mandatory to stand and show support for the headliner. While I would have agreed with that statement 20+ years ago at my age its just not feasible to stand fo ran entire concert, they get my support by getting my hard earned cash
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: October 13, 2011, 02:32:20 PM »
Is what I said not true? You clearly get more subs on the floor, its closer and you can stand. What's the problem?

lol no you were 100% right, you were just telling me why being in the orchestra is better as if I didn't know those things.  I just thought it was funny.  It wasn't an offensive facepalm, just a funny one... what's that emote for the facepalm but also laughing?

Offline Cirone328

« Reply #131 on: October 13, 2011, 02:52:47 PM »
Who gives a fuck?! You all got to see the band in their prime with MM. I can't afford to go (10/16 Phila.) and everyone is bitching about sitting or standing?

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: October 13, 2011, 03:00:05 PM »
I'm sorry we offended you  ;D

Offline DT2003

« Reply #133 on: October 13, 2011, 03:14:03 PM »
Who gives a fuck?! You all got to see the band in their prime with MM. I can't afford to go (10/16 Phila.) and everyone is bitching about sitting or standing?

So b/c you can't go, then nobody should be able to express their feelings about the show they did go to? 
I can't stand arguments like this and how people think b/c they have bigger problems/complaints then others, that other peoples problems/complaints are irrelavent. 

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #134 on: October 13, 2011, 03:29:44 PM »

If you buy a balcony seat the unwritten understanding is you're probably going to be sitting down, and if you're the only guy standing up in your section, you're kinda being a jerk.

Just trying to understand - as typically, we don't have the problem here in Germany: does not someone have to be the first one to stand up? And how long are you supposed to wait till you realize you have to sit down again?
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #135 on: October 13, 2011, 03:35:27 PM »
I've never understood the sit-stand issue. Apparently if I'm sitting down at a concert, I'm not enjoying myself. I need to be standing and apparently have to headbang. Anybody who doesn't isn't having a good time and shouldn't be there. Honestly, I sit down in the balcony at DT shows and have a damn good time. I air drum sometimes, and enjoy myself.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: October 13, 2011, 03:59:07 PM »

I think it's allowed if you're of a certain height... :)

LOL

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #137 on: October 13, 2011, 04:01:03 PM »
Metalhead #1 at concert:  "Dude, why isn't that chick standing up?  EVERYONE else in the balcony is standing up."
Metalhead #2 at concert:  "Uh...she is standing up."
Metalhead #1 at concert:  "Oh."
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: October 13, 2011, 04:32:08 PM »
LOL probably would be the conversation! I'm 5'0"!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #139 on: October 13, 2011, 04:32:50 PM »
The show last night was killer, great setlist and the whole band was *on*. I was lucky enough to be in the third row, albeit all the way over on JR's side, and it was great to see how happy Mangini and the band looked during the set. Only complaint is that I do *not* like those screen cubes... at least from my angle they just interfered with enjoying the live footage and cool animations.

Very nice to see mebert, mrjazzguitar, zgf, zeppdt, and cecilia before/during/after the show.
Photobucket sucks.