Author Topic: 2011-10-10 - Orpheum Theatre - Boston, MA  (Read 27932 times)

Offline InfraredDream

Re: 2011-10-10 - Orpheum Theatre - Boston, MA
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2011, 03:54:57 PM »
Have fun tonight everybody! And make sure to update us as soon as you can :)

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2011, 04:14:04 PM »
Have fun tonight everybody! And make sure to update us as soon as you can :)
This. Please!  :)
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2011, 05:27:51 PM »
I'm in the theater!

Offline InfraredDream

« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2011, 05:59:23 PM »
I'm in the theater!

My excitement is build up for you all that are there! Enjoy :)

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2011, 06:43:11 PM »
Trivium just ended. Million times better than expected. Never heard them before this.  Everyone in the trivium thread in the dt section was wrong

Offline FallTempest

• Canadian bacon.
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2011, 06:50:05 PM »
I loved Trivium too! Great opener.
This is a nice place

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2011, 07:40:53 PM »
Everyone in the trivium thread in the dt section was wrong

Ahem!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2011, 07:45:22 PM »
No one posting the setlist?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Bowlochili

« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2011, 07:57:31 PM »
I'm just dying to know who the special guest it.

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2011, 08:05:54 PM »
They must be better live than on CD, because their albums suck with a capital S. No offense to anyone who likes them but they just seem to me to be the definition of a "poor man's Metallica."
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline FallTempest

• Canadian bacon.
« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2011, 08:13:49 PM »
Special guest according to Eren basbug is Eugene Friesen the cellist who played on Vacant!
This is a nice place

Offline FallTempest

• Canadian bacon.
« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2011, 08:21:04 PM »
Eren said he wrote the cello part for Eugene, so that means they aren't actually playing vacant. Which would have been neat. Cool nonetheless  :tup
This is a nice place

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2011, 08:55:53 PM »
Well, there's at least one song in the current rotation that has cello in it, so he actually makes sense as a guest.  (although I'm a bit disappointed that it's not Gary, because I had talked myself into believing it was him)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2011, 08:56:22 PM »
Probably cello on either Beneath the Surface or Far From Heaven (or both)?
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2011, 09:01:05 PM »
I would confirmation from someone who went to the show, asap. A lot of interesting situations being tossed around here.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2011, 09:06:09 PM »
Okay, I'll confirm then.  It was Lalo.

Offline deslock

« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2011, 09:38:22 PM »
I was there. Eugene Friesen played cello on Beneath the Surface.

Offline Connoc

« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2011, 09:44:42 PM »
The special guest was indeed Eugene Friesen playing an (electric!) cello on Beneath the Surface. It was an amazing show, I give props to the guys from Trivium for not getting upset at the lack of headbanging, the main guy (Matt Heafy) even talked about how he was just there to have fun and pump everybody up for DT, which earned him accolades in my book.

Great set, it was Set List A (Silent Man/Beneath the Surface) but Great Debate was dropped for BAI, although the order shifted around...sorry I'm not more clear, it was an amazing show and I'm still in the after-glow.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2011, 09:47:51 PM »
Okay, I'll confirm then.  It was Lalo.

Yeah, they got one big rope for this show and I was the clown that rode over it.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline deslock

« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2011, 09:51:42 PM »
Yeah sorry I forgot to post the set.  Surprisingly enough it was the same as the last show (Oct 8):

Bridges in the Sky
These Walls
Build Me Up, Break Me Down
Endless Sacrifice
Drum Solo
The Ytse Jam
The Silent Man
Beneath the Surface
Outcry
On the Backs of Angels
Forsaken
Through My Words
Fatal Tragedy
Breaking All Illusions
Encore:
Under a Glass Moon

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2011, 10:03:57 PM »
Nice set and a nice bonus
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline ibosmiley

« Reply #91 on: October 10, 2011, 10:17:40 PM »
Very cool lil extra you all got.

Hmmm... since they played the same set twice in a row...  wonder if that means DC is going to get the piano set instead of the acoustic set.
"Are you listening to the words I say.  In the meadows my thoughts dance and play.  I know now I'm the only one.  Who can convince the rising sun"

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #92 on: October 10, 2011, 11:36:23 PM »
well that was the best concert ive ever been to.

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2011, 12:27:11 AM »
I just got back from it, awesome show. Trivium was great, I thought it was really cool how matt heafy was really chill saying "you guy enjoy the show however you want, sitting down tapping your foot, or jumping around going crazy, up to you. just have a good fucking time". DT was great as always, I couldn't believe what I was seeing when I saw Mangini's drum solo, the guy is a god damn monster.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2011, 02:12:40 AM »

Someone please tell me they got video of this.

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2011, 06:13:21 AM »

Someone please tell me they got video of this.
they weren't letting too many people film/take photos with their phones, but I'm sure someone got it

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2011, 08:26:36 AM »
Good show (I had front row, balcony center)

But Dream Theater was way, way, way, way too fucking loud.

Offline Banny

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #97 on: October 11, 2011, 09:11:53 AM »
I give props to the guys from Trivium for not getting upset at the lack of headbanging, the main guy (Matt Heafy) even talked about how he was just there to have fun and pump everybody up for DT, which earned him accolades in my book.

I think that's been there deal so far because that's what they said in Toronto also. I thought this was really cool though. I was rocking out like all hell to DT, but where I'm less familiar with Trivium I just took it in and enjoyed their set. (They probably made a fan out of me next time I give In Waves a spin). But before they started one tune, he said something along the lines of "We're just here to have a good time and we hop you guys are having a good time. We're here to pump you guys up for Dream Theater so on this next one, do whatever it is that you do. Whether thats head banging, snapping, clapping, tapping your toe. Let's have a good time!"

*starts a really heavy riff*

Really dug their on stage presence and their approach to pumping people up. Really cool guys, Trivum seem. :hat

Offline greyghost

« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2011, 09:18:49 AM »
Further back in the balcony, DT's volume was only slightly excessive.  I needed the earplugs to make out anything clearly by Trivium, however.  For those talking about how great Trivium was, I disagree vehemently, however.  This is the first time I can recall seeing an opener whose music I even own and enjoy (The Crusade), and emerging as even less of a fan than I was going in.  I'm not a fan of the screamy/growly vocals, and this is the first time I've seen a band in which two people were screaming at the same time.  While I admit that the novelty of harmonized dual growls was interesting for the first few seconds, there was just so much of it! Every time they switched to clean vox, complete with nice harmonies, I wondered why they kept doing that stuff instead.  Not my thing.
This was my 8th DT show, and first with Mangini.  Holy crap! I never thought I'd say this a year ago when Portnoy split, but this was the best DT gig I've ever seen! Mangini is not human.  The waves of positive emotion heading his way from the audience are an almost surreal experience, and I was almost in tears at one point, especially when I realized why we were all feeling that way.  A year ago, I thought my favorite band was over.  Last night, they were not just back, they were tighter than ever, and having a blast, and the focal point around which that renewed spirit revolved was that little guy from Boston.  Thanks for making this possible, Mr. Mangini!

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2011, 10:05:24 AM »
Maybe the volume was different where I was. I was 3rd row from the stage directly in front of petrucci. Volume/sound was perfect.

Offline InfraredDream

« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2011, 10:09:36 AM »
Mangini is not human.  The waves of positive emotion heading his way from the audience are an almost surreal experience, and I was almost in tears at one point, especially when I realized why we were all feeling that way.  A year ago, I thought my favorite band was over.  Last night, they were not just back, they were tighter than ever, and having a blast, and the focal point around which that renewed spirit revolved was that little guy from Boston.  Thanks for making this possible, Mr. Mangini!

I said the exactly same thing to the friend and a fellow long time DT fan that I was at the show with.
But on the other hand for me the love Mike M is receiving is not only because of what he is doing with DT, it is because of his own personality and professionalism. This makes him such a perfect fit and such a loved member of the band.
Wonderful posting that made me smile. Thank you!

Offline chrisgazpacho

« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2011, 10:15:44 AM »
This was my 8th DT show, and first with Mangini.  Holy crap! I never thought I'd say this a year ago when Portnoy split, but this was the best DT gig I've ever seen! Mangini is not human.  The waves of positive emotion heading his way from the audience are an almost surreal experience, and I was almost in tears at one point, especially when I realized why we were all feeling that way.  A year ago, I thought my favorite band was over.  Last night, they were not just back, they were tighter than ever, and having a blast, and the focal point around which that renewed spirit revolved was that little guy from Boston.  Thanks for making this possible, Mr. Mangini!

Agree 100%.  That was DT show # 25 for me, and easily Top 3. (Radio City will always be #1)  Portnoy is probably my biggest drum influence, and I initially thought they were done when he announced he was leaving.  Once I heard MM play on ANTR on the doc, I knew they found the guy.  He just fits in so well it's incredible.  I like that they are playing to a click, makes everything even tighter, light cues and perfectly synced.  Just an amazing show.

Offline BMWWrstlr

• Official DTF flag-thrower
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2011, 11:41:56 AM »

Agreed. I was in the balcony as well and DT was definitely too loud. I believe it was just a function of being in the balcony though...sound is generally pretty good on the floor at the Orpheum. Keyboard mix was off for couple of songs, but seems like they fixed it.

Mangini though....Jesus, what a drummer. And even better guy. He saved this band, folks....I hope you all realize that.
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars.

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #103 on: October 11, 2011, 12:45:58 PM »

Agreed. I was in the balcony as well and DT was definitely too loud. I believe it was just a function of being in the balcony though...sound is generally pretty good on the floor at the Orpheum. Keyboard mix was off for couple of songs, but seems like they fixed it.

Mangini though....Jesus, what a drummer. And even better guy. He saved this band, folks....I hope you all realize that.

I didn't realize the band was in need of being saved

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #104 on: October 11, 2011, 12:57:48 PM »

I didn't realize the band was in need of being saved

They were in a pretty tight spot when Portnoy quit.  I don't know if you were at the concert last night or have seen any of the gigs since Mangini joined, but I think I agree that Mangini "saved" Dream Theater in that both is technical abilities as a drummer and his personality were an excellent fit, and you could really, really feel the love flowing to him from the audience last night.  I can't speak for anyone else, but that's what I get from the "saved" comment.