Author Topic: Fingerstyle Guitar playing  (Read 877 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Fingerstyle Guitar playing
« on: July 17, 2011, 05:03:33 AM »
Hey guys, I like to finger pick but I really suck at it. Can anyone point me to some good advice on how to get good at it?

Thanks!

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Fingerstyle Guitar playing
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 09:44:39 AM »
https://key4song.lingolinda.com/intervals/note11.html

Those are some exercises to get you started. For the past 4 years I'm almost exclusively a finger pick mainly from my style of playing changing.

From the start what really helped me was forcing myself to keep my index, middle, and ring finger dedicated to their respective strings, it keeps from your fingers getting twisted up.

Also I'd learn some finger picked songs, one of the first songs I learned was Kaki King's "Night After Sidewalk" : https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/k/kaki_king/night_after_sidewalk_guitar_pro.htm

Take a look at some great players out there like Tommy Emmanuel and Antoine Dufour (he is a monster)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 08:00:29 PM »
Thanks a lot man!

I really only have the freedom to play acoustic guitar for the next year or so, so I'm definitely looking forward to actually getting proficient at it. I spent my first 10 months here playing chords and stuff and just strumming, but that started to get pretty boring pretty quickly.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 09:07:59 PM »
For the first 4 years of my playing I was a solely a plectrum player but as my tastes have changed I went to finger picking, it was almost like learning guitar all over again but I haven't looked back.