Author Topic: Over two years after Black Clouds & Silver Linings released and I have to say..  (Read 9759 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Well, I liked Static Impulse more than DT's past two albums. It had some great songs on it, and it was nice to hear what styles James was interested in dipping into. It was one of my favourite albums of 2010.
And I agree with you. About it being one of my favorite 2010 albums, I mean. But if that was a full on DT album, I'd be complaining about how I miss DT's classic proggy songs, the ones that average 10+ minutes and have 5 minute instrumental breakdowns. That's what I like about DT's music.

For DT, I fully believe they can change. They were trailblazers in the prog metal genre. They haven't lost their talent, I think they've just lost their vision. I truly believe they are capable of reinventing themselves after growing stagnant in the recent years. Most importantly, I believe they are capable of making a GOOD album with a brand new sound. The band just doesn't seem confident in themselves to make that leap.
I don't believe I've ever heard anyone in DT say, "We want to be on the cutting edge of music." What I remember them saying about being early in their career was that they wanted to combine the melodic epicness of bands like Rush, with the intense heaviness of bands like Iron Maiden. They've accomplished that, and maybe at the time it was something new, now we're used to it. But that's what DT is. And I'm always looking forward to every new album they come out with.

If you didn't like their recent music as much, that's fine. But don't make it sound like it's wrong to fully enjoy and appreciate the stuff they've come up with lately. I think Systematic Chaos was one of their best albums. It's not a popular opinion, but I stand by it.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
  • I probably don't like you
It's not at all wrong to enjoy anything. You will never hear me saying that.
However, there are many fans out there, like myself, who really don't want another Systematic Chaos. I would really like to see something new. Not something old, not something current, something new.
Yes, they accomplished what they set out to do, combine classic prog and heavy metal. They are successful because of that. However, I feel like it's time for a new musical conquest. They are talented guys, and they still have moments of creativity. I'm sure if they got out of their comfort zone and tried something radical, that are capable of producing a real gem. You may not like it, sure. You want the same stuff, I want different stuff.
NEW REVIEW: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=25343.0

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

It's not at all wrong to enjoy anything. You will never hear me saying that.
However, there are many fans out there, like myself, who really don't want another Systematic Chaos. I would really like to see something new. Not something old, not something current, something new.
Yes, they accomplished what they set out to do, combine classic prog and heavy metal. They are successful because of that. However, I feel like it's time for a new musical conquest. They are talented guys, and they still have moments of creativity. I'm sure if they got out of their comfort zone and tried something radical, that are capable of producing a real gem. You may not like it, sure. You want the same stuff, I want different stuff.

I'm not saying I want another Systematic Chaos, I'm saying that I'm really glad that Systematic Chaos came along. Same with Train of Thought, and most of all, Scenes From A Memory.
And like I said, if DT wanted to do something different next, I'd have no problem with that, unless it permanently changed the band... Yes, it's safe to say that I'd be thinking, "I wish DT release another album like Images and Words or Systematic Chaos."

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
Yeah, DT has tried a different sound with Falling into Infinity and with Train of Thought. Depending on one's view they either worked or didn't. What I'm concerned about is that the band feels that they can't change their sound without fanboys going up in arms about "bring the old DT sound back!" People like that aren't helping artists innovate, they're only preventing the artist from gaining the courage to push boundaries.

Setra, I think that is the best statement I have read on this forum.  Very well said.

Yeah, DT has tried a different sound with Falling into Infinity and with Train of Thought. Depending on one's view they either worked or didn't. What I'm concerned about is that the band feels that they can't change their sound without fanboys going up in arms about "bring the old DT sound back!" People like that aren't helping artists innovate, they're only preventing the artist from gaining the courage to push boundaries.
Well, people did become DT fans in the first place for a reason. It wasn't just that Images and Words was something new and unique. I mean, I can create some truly innovative and unique music you've ever heard. But I guarantee you that it'll sound like ass. DT's music was actually pleasant sounding. And people fell in love with that sound and it's a part of their every day lives. And if DT were to change their style completely, then we'd never have that sound again. Sure, there's always the classics, but sometimes there's a need for some new songs from that particular style of music.

I don't see how it's different from Iron Maiden. Iron Maiden has its trademark sound. We'll always have the classics, but frankly, I think it's exciting to hear something new from Iron Maiden. Yes, I know what it'll sound LIKE, but it's still gonna be new. And I'm still gonna get hyped up about hearing it.

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
And if DT were to change their style completely, then we'd never have that sound again.

But, I don't understand why we need that sound again. The sound is already there. Images & Words already exists. I don't need Images & Words 2!
I know we live in an age where old is new again, and remakes are a dime a dozen, but that doesn't mean everything is fair game to retry. DT has not reverted to their old style, which I have been thankful for. I want them to be looking forward. The problem is that they don't want to try to pull out of the musical tailspin they're in.

If only someone had spoken up about how their music was becoming tired! If only someone had suggested they take a break to regain some inspiration!

Oh wait...:\

But, I don't understand why we need that sound again. The sound is already there. Images & Words already exists. I don't need Images & Words 2!
I know we live in an age where old is new again, and remakes are a dime a dozen, but that doesn't mean everything is fair game to retry. DT has not reverted to their old style, which I have been thankful for. I want them to be looking forward. The problem is that they don't want to try to pull out of the musical tailspin they're in.

If only someone had spoken up about how their music was becoming tired! If only someone had suggested they take a break to regain some inspiration!

Oh wait...:\

Well, I'm definitely happy that they didn't go on a 5 year hiatus. If MP was so uninspired, then why did he try to go back to them? Anyway, that's a whole separate discussion, and I don't wanna go there.

Again, back to Iron Maiden, are you saying that because they're not going to do anything new and innovative, that they should just retire? Or just tour and not record any new albums?

Offline setrataeso

• Setlist Archivist
  • DTF.org Member
I don't really have a strong opinion on Maiden's style. I don't expect innovation out of them, I don't think they will innovate too much in their remaining years.
Dream Theater is a band I believe is capable of innovating, and one that I expect more from than what they've put out lately.

That's my conclusion. I'm peacing out. I have a life to live.

Well, there are plenty of people out there, myself included, who are excited as hell about the new DT album. Not because it's something new and innovative, but because it sounds like it's gonna go back to a more classic DT sound. And I'm happy about that.

Okay, people, start talking about how good Silver Linings is.

Offline DJay32

"A Nightmare to Remember" gives us one of the more memorable openings to an album, some very catchy riffs, some excellent progression in the second half, and of course the lovely "Beautiful Agony" section. I dunno about you guys, but I love wankery, so Dream Theater's recent material has been very fun for me.

"A Rite of Passage" is as generic as it gets, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. As a rather strict prog fan, I don't listen to the radio much, and I don't get many chances to hear generic metal. This song helped me with that. Plus, seriously, that chorus sounds very Rush-y.

"Wither" is great, though the piano version's better. ..it's a good song, though!

"The Shattered Fortress" is rather hard to judge as an individual song, but when viewed as the last three movements in a twelve-movement suite? They're absolutely brilliant in every single goddamn way. .W.

"The Best of Times" is a picture of perfection to me. It does everything it tries to do, and it does it with talent left to spare. People often claim this song is "too raw," but for one thing, I have no idea what that's even supposed to mean. If "The Best of Times" is raw, I don't want to know what Led Zeppelin is. ..actually, I'm not even a Zeppelin fan, so I never want to know what they are anyway. ANYWAY, this song is beautiful and great and I love it. Memorable.

"The Count of Tuscany" is the Count of freaking Tuscany, one of the greatest songs Dream Theater has ever released. The lyrics match the quirky sound of the second 'movement' very well. When the song wants to be beautiful, it's beautiful; when it wants to be quirky and not entirely serious, it sounds very much it. It does its duties, and once again, it does it with much talent left to spare.

All in all, Black Clouds & Silver Linings is one of the more memorable albums I've ever heard, and (at least in my opinion) it seems to have many more silver linings.. than it does black clouds.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Not every band who's been around for awhile inevitably goes stagnant. Take Depeche Mode, for example. They've been making albums for over 30 years, and each consecutive album has been a change in their style, with various new, daring experiments thrown in to challenge their audience. They still maintain a massive cult following and sell out arenas and stadiums whenever they tour, and they have also remained remarkable consistent in quality.

That's true. No band has to get stuck in stagnancy. Any band has the potential to innovate. Most choose to release the same stuff year after year. I have respect for bands that can reinvent themselves, and still produce good music. Those are the bands that have real talent. Noodling and 20-minute songs do not require talent. Creativity and innovation require talent.
Yup, and I think Dream Theater are capable of doing that, even this late in their career. I don't see what's so talented about guitar and keyboard solo circle-jerks.
Considering BC&SL only has two solo trade-off sections, I find comments like this hilarious.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.