Author Topic: How do you feel about JR's use of the continuum in DT?  (Read 5366 times)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Re: How do you feel about JR's use of the continuum in DT?
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2011, 11:36:23 AM »
[post]

Wait, what?

I just looked at your post history and realized you've been here since 2009.  Um, what?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline robwebster

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2011, 11:41:38 AM »
Since 2009 under this name. Used to be sabrey mcdogwick, among other aliases. I also got in a huff and left around the Systematic Chaos era because I was a wee teenager at the time and wasn't particularly in the mood to have my optimism soured by grouchy internet critics. Didn't remember my password when I got back, and I fancied a fresh start anyway - I'd been becoming increasingly grumpy and incredibly flippant (hence "sabrey mcdogwick"!) and doubted I'd be particularly fondly remembered. Plus, I think posting under your name makes you more polite, as you're more culpable for your own actions - and it means that I'm more likely not to say things I might be embarrassed by if it's a matter of public record that I've said it, so that's good. Not to mention that my username was silly - lovely soup of good reasons to start again. So yeah, I've been here on-and-off since Nov '04.

Hello!

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2011, 11:51:51 AM »
I mostly like it in the songs of the modern era, but i dont like when he is using it when playing older songs, like Lie.
But i think it is fun especially live.

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2011, 01:16:09 PM »
It's awesome. I want more from it.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2011, 01:32:42 PM »
I like only Octavarium intro
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2011, 02:25:20 PM »
Since 2009 under this name. Used to be sabrey mcdogwick, among other aliases. I also got in a huff and left around the Systematic Chaos era because I was a wee teenager at the time and wasn't particularly in the mood to have my optimism soured by grouchy internet critics. Didn't remember my password when I got back, and I fancied a fresh start anyway - I'd been becoming increasingly grumpy and incredibly flippant (hence "sabrey mcdogwick"!) and doubted I'd be particularly fondly remembered. Plus, I think posting under your name makes you more polite, as you're more culpable for your own actions - and it means that I'm more likely not to say things I might be embarrassed by if it's a matter of public record that I've said it, so that's good. Not to mention that my username was silly - lovely soup of good reasons to start again. So yeah, I've been here on-and-off since Nov '04.

Hello!

Oh my god, I remember that name.

No way we haven't been involved in some kind of immature teenaged hormonal internet bitch fight before.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2011, 02:30:31 PM »
I'd be surprised to hear Rudess ever use much mellotron, as I remember an interview with him from years where he said something along the lines of mellotrons being too 70s sounding and he wanted to stay modern and use modern sound.  I disagreed with that sentiment, but if that is the way he sees it, then not much anyone can do about it.

Anyway, I like the continuum in Octavarium and A Nightmare to Remember, but really dislike it at the end of The Dark Eternal Night.
He used mellotron in TCOT most recently and their are videos of him playing memotron which is a mellotron w/o tapes. I expect their to be a few songs on the new album to feature mellotron sounds.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2011, 02:52:20 PM »
He's only used in a small amount, and I've always liked it when he has done. :tup

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2011, 04:13:52 PM »

Hello!

You had the avatar with the guy pointing the weapon laser thingy under the saber name. And come to think of it, I think it's the same thing Doctor Who uses!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2011, 04:27:10 PM »
I always thought the keys in the Constant Motion chorus sounded a little Continuum-y. Different patch, a little stringy, but there's a lot of slides. Could just be pitch bends, of course. Either way, I like them, so you know. Whoo and that.

I know you've got a current avatar theme going that I really hate to even suggest disrupting.  However, in reading this thread and seeing you posting here, I was hit with a severe pang of nostalgia for "neat slidey thing" avatar.  Any chance we could have a little taste?
Hahahahaha - I forgot that existed! And I've got to admit that I wouldn't even know where to find it. I think it's on my other computer, which is currently sat in the corner of my room 'cause it refuses to connect to a monitor. This is because it's a good fifteen years old, which is like 70 in computer years.

Sorry to disappoint. D:
Oh you mean this little thing?

(Direct link to see it in full size: https://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r243/ariich/forum%20stuff/JRtalkingaboutkeyboards.gif)

Created in April 2006 by Sabredog, aka Sabrey Mcdogwick, aka robwebster. :D

EDIT: To try and make it up to you, here is a sort of modern update. I have drawn it on a trackpad so it is even less artistic than the original.

:lol Wonderful, especially when you compare it to the original.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2011, 05:29:17 PM »
Rich, you have restored my faith in humanity (as well as dolphins, any fluffy rodent-like creatures that make any sort of cute "squee!" sound, sharks with lasers mounted on them, and, of course, laser-legged ladies).  I salute you, sir.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2011, 06:20:52 PM »
JR could pretty much cut off someone's leg, use it as an instrument, and I would be ok with it.

He's just that good.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2011, 06:47:01 PM »
JR could pretty much cut off someone's leg, use it as an instrument, and I would be ok with it.

I've seen him do that during a show.  Epic.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2011, 01:54:28 AM »
Rich, you have restored my faith in humanity (as well as dolphins, any fluffy rodent-like creatures that make any sort of cute "squee!" sound, sharks with lasers mounted on them, and, of course, laser-legged ladies).  I salute you, sir.
I've restored your faith in dolphins, cute rodents, laser sharks and laser-legged ladies?

But I'm only two of those things.

I be am boner inducing.