Author Topic: ONTBOA drum cover from Peter Wildoer (question)  (Read 2535 times)

Offline nikostheater

ONTBOA drum cover from Peter Wildoer (question)
« on: July 01, 2011, 01:53:44 PM »
I was thinking lately listening to On The Backs Of Angels that it would be very cool to see a youtube video of Peter Wildoer playing a drum cover of the song...i would smile for days seeing and listening that..
What's your opinion?

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
Re: ONTBOA drum cover from Peter Wildoer
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 01:55:14 PM »
might wanna change the title. little misleading

would be cool

Offline ohwell

Re: ONTBOA drum cover from Peter Wildoer (question)
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 04:13:36 PM »
Hey everyone! My first post here :D
I think that it would be weird...I think that Peter is a wonderful musician that does his own things...I don't think he's a "youtube cover player" so it's weird to me to ask Peter to do so

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 04:15:03 PM »
Ehhhhhhhuhhhhhhhh....

Too awkward.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 04:23:46 PM »
I remember a thread a long time ago where someone wanted to ask Charlie to cover a James song. This evokes the same feeling from me. While it would be cool to hear, I feel it would be a little awkward at best and insulting at worst.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 05:10:26 PM »
It would be musically interesting, but it would look to the world as if Wildoer somehow couldn't get over that he didn't get chosen.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 05:46:24 PM »
I'd like to hear it, if he ever decided to do it.

Likewise, I'm still holding out hope that the Dominator will download the Black Clouds stems and give us a Charlie Dominici version of Black Clouds and Silver Linings.

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 06:07:59 PM »
Its not really that complicated of a song on drums.

Offline nikostheater

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 06:23:50 PM »
It would be musically interesting, but it would look to the world as if Wildoer somehow couldn't get over that he didn't get chosen.

rumborak

I don't mean it that way.
I mean,he is a great player and it would be cool to listen his spin on the song.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 06:32:28 PM »
Awful idea..  It would be really off putting to have someone that didn't get the job Mangini got covering the songs he's on and posting it.  That would absolutely be interpreted as Wildoer trying to show up Mangini.

It's cool with what he practiced on because it had a good purpose, this doesn't.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 04:22:56 AM »
I remember a thread a long time ago where someone wanted to ask Charlie to cover a James song. This evokes the same feeling from me. While it would be cool to hear, I feel it would be a little awkward at best and insulting at worst.
This exactly.  It would be pretty fucked up.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline PS Head

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 05:58:31 AM »
Awful idea..  It would be really off putting to have someone that didn't get the job Mangini got covering the songs he's on and posting it.  That would absolutely be interpreted as Wildoer trying to show up Mangini.

It's cool with what he practiced on because it had a good purpose, this doesn't.

(quote)

COULDNT AGREE MORE... ;)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 06:07:22 AM by PS Head »

Offline robwebster

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 06:54:53 AM »
This exactly.  It would be pretty fucked up.
Depends how it's done.

There would be something very tragic about Charlie releasing "his" version of BCSL, himself singing over the stems or whatever, but on the other hand we've got his version of Metropolis and that's genuinely just a cool tribute.

I'd be dead interested in, say a few years down the line - should a CD release coincide with their 30th anniversary, they could get a bunch of ex-contributors together on a bonus CD, and ask 'em to cover songs from after their era?

So you could have Charlie Dominici singing a stripped down Hollow Years, Dug Pinnick covering Misunderstood with King's X, Kevin Moore doing a dark electronic version of A Rite of Passage (which I think is simultaneously hilarious, pretty damn cool, and never going to happen, but I now want someone to do this in his style), a spiky virtuoso rendition of Overture 1928 from Derek Sherinian with Planet X... Mike's only got a choice of OtBoA right now, but I bet it'd sound pretty cool played by Transatlantic.

Bit of a silly idea, but a roundabout way of saying: the line between "celebrating the past" and "clinging to the past" is thin enough to go both ways, and it's an interesting enough hypothetical that I wouldn't like to write it off. Charlie covering a James song isn't in itself a fucked up thing... it just kind of is in a vacuum.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 07:29:36 AM »

rumborak

My initial thought as well
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 08:11:55 AM »
Its not really that complicated of a song on drums.

Frankly, it's not flashy, but the more Ilisten to the song, the more I perceive little things here and there that make it a somewhat difficult song to play on the drums.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael