Author Topic: Concepts/Ambitious Projects vs. Normal Album  (Read 729 times)

Offline ElliottTamer

Concepts/Ambitious Projects vs. Normal Album
« on: June 28, 2011, 10:53:27 AM »
So, I'm interested to know what other DT fans think about this. The title doesn't really explain much (I think), so here's what I am really talking about:
DT has, over the years, produced much music that, more than simply songs, contained concepts or explored ambitious ideas. Take for example Metropolis Pt.2, which tells a story, or Six Degrees, which is a concept album (EDIT: just read the forum's rules, so it seems that Six Degrees is actually a Themed Album... Sorry for that mistake). Add to Octavarium's "everything ends where it begins" theme and all their epic songs (epic here being songs around or over 20 minutes long) and I would say that DT has really gone beyond mere music-making.
I believe many will disagree with me (and so they should, else this topic would be just an appreciation thread...), but I usually prefer those types of albums/songs. I guess that is because it allows me to enjoy the song in more than one way: I don't only like how Metropolis Pt.2 sounds, I also like the story it tells and how it is told. If The Count of Tuscany had not so interesting a story as it does, I don't think I would like it quite as much.
So even when other albums/songs are musically better, I find that I prefer the ones I can approach from more than one angle (or, one could argue, ones with more depth), because they are more than music: they are story-telling, they are clever structures.

That's my opinion. What's yours? Do you also like stories and concepts or do you prefer your music free from such things?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 11:10:19 AM by ElliottTamer »

Offline MetropolisxPt1

Re: Concepts/Ambitious Projects vs. Normal Album
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 04:14:59 PM »
I have always enjoyed concept albums as a whole much more then normal albums regardless of the band. However, concept albums seem to be a hit or a miss.