Author Topic: wolfking's 2010/2011 recommendations that are rarely talked about on DTF  (Read 3575 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
With all the hype of so many great albums out this year, I thought I would post some other albums that I'm checking out this year that are worthwhile mentioning that really I don't see get mentioned here.  Of course, all of them will most likely be metal so a lot of you guys probably won't be that into them, but nevertheless, some cool music.  (I will just update this whenever, it won't be a set thing, it will also be completely random)

Scar Symmetry - The Unseen Empire

Scar Symmetry are a melodic death metal band from Sweden.  They were really making a name for themselves with their Pitch Black Progress and Holographic Universe albums.  Lead singer Christian left the fold which set the band back a while.  A damn shame because Christian is one of the greatest melodeth singers that I've ever come across. (Check out his Solution .45 album from last year.)

SS eventually returned with Dark Matter Dimensions and 2 vocalists, Lars on clean and Roberth of growls.  This didn't sit with me very well and DMD left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.  These guys at that point, simply couldn't hold a candle to Christian.  Nevertheless, time passed and in April this year, they released their fifth album, The Unseen Empire.

Prior to the release I gave DMD another chance.  I went in with a new frame of mind, and I enjoyed it much more than I did before.  The Unseen Empire on the other hand is a big step forward, much better than DMD.  At a tidy 43 minutes, it's a fresh piece of work, never overstaying its welcome, which was a problem for me with DMD.  The album tells a concept based on the illuminati which is cool I guess, the lyrics are a little complex but they don't verge themselves on silly which is cool.

Both Lars and Roberth sound much more comfortable than they did on DMD and both their styles mesh well and are both great to listen too.  They are cot Christian, but taking them for who they are, they make a pretty decent vocal duo.  There is some really amazing melodies and choruses on the disc which really spread themselves over every track making every song a great track, I'd say there is really no filler here.  Some amazing insstrumentation and some mindblowing solos from Per and Jonas.  Check out the intro to Seeds of teh Schaton, just brutal.  Also the solo around the 2:20 mark of The Draconian Arrival is possibly my fav part of the album, so melodic.

Overall, these guys are not reinventing the wheel, but are still producing quality material.  This still doesn't match up to Holographic Universe or Solution .45's For Aeons Past, but it's a worthy contendor.  For anyone who are fans of In Flames, Soilwork, Dark Tranquility, At the Gates etc. should gcheck these guys out.

Best songs: Illuminoid Dream Sequence, Seeds of the Schaton, Astronomicon, The Draconian Arrival.

More albums later.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 05:57:03 AM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
Re: wolfking's 2011 recommendations that are rarely talked about on DTF
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 09:39:11 PM »
I will definitely be following! Never listened to SS but I will give them a shot when I can find the time :)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 09:40:11 PM »
SS is okay. Not my favourite, but they're not bad.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 09:47:16 PM »
SS is okay. Not my favourite, but they're not bad.

Yeah, Christian leaving really hurt them IMO.  I do think Holographic Universe is amazing.  I would have loved to have seen what they would have come up with if he didn't leave.  Give this one a listen if you haven't already, it's a really good listen.

I will definitely be following!

I don't have loads of albums to fill the thread, just want to give some exposure to some different albums which I am enjoying.  I love to spread the word of metal!  :metal

Offline dongringo

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 10:26:36 PM »
Not into death metal, but getting in on the thread for whatever else comes up.  :tup
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 10:59:46 PM »
Well they're hardly Death Metal in terms of what's usually considered that. They helped me ease into the transition though.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 11:00:29 PM »
Well they're hardly Death Metal in terms of what's usually considered that. They helped me ease into the transition though.

Oh ok, I'll check them out then. Thanks.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 11:19:22 PM »

Yeah, pretty light as far as death metal standards go.  Lots of clean vocals and great melodies.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 11:30:15 PM »
Check out Holographic Universe (or more specifically Morphogenesis). Christian Alvestam is one of the best singers I've ever heard.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 11:48:56 PM »
Awesome 2011 metal release = Fables of the Sleepless Empire

but yeah, I'll follow this thread! :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 11:57:05 PM »
Check out Holographic Universe (or more specifically Morphogenesis). Christian Alvestam is one of the best singers I've ever heard.

This.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 01:47:47 AM »
Wolf, you and I seem to have very similar music tastes, so I will follow this thread with interest.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 01:59:45 AM »
Wolf, you and I seem to have very similar music tastes, so I will follow this thread with interest.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 05:53:14 AM »

Cheers guys.  I'll dig up as much stuff as I can.  I might even go through and add some 2010 stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Hammerfall - Infected

Alright, stop laughing everyone.  Hammerfall are basically the new age Manowar IMO.  Classic metal, with lyrics full of cheese, minus the muscles.  Hammerfall were the band that introduced me to power metal.  Hearing tracks off their first two albums really just blew me away, and opened up a whole new world of heavy metal, and for that, I'll be forever thankful.  To be honest, their first three albums are simply metal classics.  Great riffs, solos, vocals, they have them all.  Any power metal fan should at least know Glory to the Brave and Legacy of Kings.  Renegade was amazing also.

Crimson Thunder was the last Hammerfall album I really enjoyed.  After that they became too generic, boring, uninspired, lazy and just plain mediocre.  I own all albums they have done but the last three have been pretty disgraceful.  I basically had written them off.

After hearing that they were releasing a new album in May, of course I was going to buy it, just for the collection.  I expected nothing from it.  To my surprise, it's the best since Crimson Thunder.  Hammerfall have rejuvenated themselves and released a solid, fresh metal album.

Now this isn't going to change the history of music, it's Hammerfall, but from the first notes of Patient Zero to the outro of Redemption, I will say this is an excellent album.  Cans sounds better than he has for a while, his voice was getting whiny and grating, but here, he sounds confident, full and has a great tone back to his voice.  Pontus also seems more comfortable here and it shows with some wonderful solos.  Check out his work in Redemption!!  Holy shit!!  oscar also improving his guitar skills and making these two a pretty good team.

Patient Zero is an excellent stomper which picks up some speed in the middle keeping my interest all the way through.  Bang Your Head made me cringe just from the title, but this is a true heavy metal lovers song, without all the cheese, one of the better tracks.  Love Anders kick work on this too.  One More Time is a nice crusher and the Outlaw gives us a classic Hammerfall vibe.  Send Me A Sign is an excellent cover and a great choice of ballad for the band.  From there the metal keeps coming nice and thick, never really getting boring.  I can honestly say that I find every song here somewhat enjoyable.  Redemption is simply an epic closer!!

I think Hammerfall have taken a look at themselves and instead of taking the same generic path, have taken a chance with something different and it's paid off.  That's what I like, it's Hammerfall, but a different Hammerfall, less cheese, more power and balls.  Simply a great album.  Don't bother with the special edition DVD. It's simply the band poorly miming to the first five tracks, a waste of time.  I don't fault the material for it though.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Hammerfall :metal

I've been a fan since the debut in 1997, but I must say I haven't been floored by them since Crimson Thunder. They were the first power metal band I heard, and my gateway to bands like Stratovarius, Blind Guardian, and Sonata Arctica. I haven't listened to Infected yet, but I guess I'll give it a spin to see if they are still good again. Their previous albums weren't that inspired, I think.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline stryker

Thanks for the great review of the new Hammerfall!!   :metal  Like you I haven't been much impressed with anything since Crimson Thunder and I will definitely check this out as well!

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
I massively support the Scar Symmetry recomendation.
New and old material.
The new album is fantastic.
It's an excellent band for people trying to get into growlers....it's mix of clean and growly vocals is very well timed.

Solution .45 is Christian's new band and that disc is also fantastic. Fuck he can sing.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Hammerfall :metal

I've been a fan since the debut in 1997, but I must say I haven't been floored by them since Crimson Thunder. They were the first power metal band I heard, and my gateway to bands like Stratovarius, Blind Guardian, and Sonata Arctica. I haven't listened to Infected yet, but I guess I'll give it a spin to see if they are still good again. Their previous albums weren't that inspired, I think.

Thanks for the great review of the new Hammerfall!!   :metal  Like you I haven't been much impressed with anything since Crimson Thunder and I will definitely check this out as well!

Guys, check it out and give it a go, it's a huge step up, good album.  :tup

I massively support the Scar Symmetry recomendation.
New and old material.
The new album is fantastic.
It's an excellent band for people trying to get into growlers....it's mix of clean and growly vocals is very well timed.

Solution .45 is Christian's new band and that disc is also fantastic. Fuck he can sing.

All of this is 100% correct.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I checked out Scar Symmetry a few years ago, and every song I listened to was RORORORORO LALALALALALA RORORORORORORO LALALALALALALALA. Got old very quick.

As for Hammerfall, I haven't bothered to check them out yet, but apparently they have a reputation for being extremely cheesy. Good thing I heard Symphony X before I read everyone saying they were extremely cheesy cause that is utter horseshit.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
Hammerfall rules!

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
SCAR SYMMETRY!!!! Holographic Universe is the of the best albums I've heard last times, The Unseen Empire isn't so good, but it's solid album. I didn't heard new Hammerfall yet.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wolf, I am also a big Hammerfall fan. I discovered them shortly after Legacy Of Kings came out. They were /are a great current band that reminded me of the 80's metal that I grew up on. A Priest/Maiden/Saxon/Accept/Dokken hybrid with the lyrical imagery of Dio.

After their first 3 albums, I wouldn't call their other stuff disappointing, but none are as memorable. Other than a couple tracks on Crimson Thunder I don't think it's that great. I loved Threshold though!

Anyway, this is another solid album. Seems a bit more metal than melodic. Definitely got a bunch of listens on my recent vacation!
Fave tracks are Outlaw, Dia De Los Muertos, and Immortalized, and 666.
One More Time is also a great song, but the chorus sucks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Definitely more metal than melody which is fine with me.  I might go back after and listen to their last three albums with an open mind and fresh ears to see what I think now.  :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Eden's Curse - Trinity

Here's a wonderful melodic metal band that I feel deserves a lot more respect.  This album was released quite a few months ago and I remember Perpetual Change giving it a good plug around here.  Well, I finally managed to get around and pick it up, and I must say, it's brilliant.  I've been a fan of these guys for about 3 years and their first two albums are some of the finest melodic rock music you'll ever hear. 

Now, this album got a good plug basically because the addition of James Labrie.  Also, this has helped the band get an opening slot with DT on a couple of shows coming up very soon I think.  Now, the addition of James isn't a 10 second spot thing.  James sings backing vox on every song.  He provides 90% of the main backing vocals and is very audible, sometimes being so loud in the mix it's like he dueting with Michael on many songs.  He does sing lead of course of the single cut from the album where James sounds excellent, and a great contrast to Eden's voice. 

Now the only negative about this album is Michael, but not in a bad way.  Fans of the band will know he's not technically the best singer in the world, and his tone can be a little grating, but, he does suit the style of the band's music.  I love how he's trained his voice a little and offered more variety in his vocals here.  But some spots in this album he sounds pretty whiny, not too a point where you cringe but a little annoying.  Most of the time though, he does sound good.

The highlight of the album is Thoreston.  What an amzing guitar talent this man is.  Every solo shreds, is extremely melodic and shows wonderful technique.  And being left handed and playing a normal right handed guitar is just a scary thought. 

Now to the songs, the other highlight.  Every song on this album is fantastic, there is no filler here at all, every track has a lot to offer.  The lyrics are pretty religious overall, but not over powering and stuffing things in your face.  I think there is a story here anyway which makes more sense, though I haven't really read the lyrics.  Trinity offers a great tempo and excellent chorus, with classic Labrie vocals in the background.  Saints of Tomorrow probably could be the best cut here.  A little different, but just a ripping chorus.  No Holy Man grooves along and I like the melodies here.  Guardian Angel is next and I would have liked this a couple more songs in on the tracklisting.  The lyrics are sappy as hell, but all round a terrific ballad with amazing guitar work.

Can't Fool the Devil kicks back into high gear and is just a face melter of a song.  Rivers of Destiny battles for the top spot also.  Great riff, but just a perfect chorus, wow!  Dare to Be Different goes back to a higher gear, and again the chorus is catchy as hell.  With this band they always amaze me with their chorus'.  You'll be hard to find one of their songs where the chorus doesn't grab you and makes you want to sing along.  Children of the Tide would probably be the weakest cut if I had to pick one.  Although still a great tune that I never skip.  Black Widow comes in next and Andi Deris from Helloween kicks our ass here.  Great song, great melodies and Andi creates a super atmosphere here. 

Jerusalem Sleeps could be the heaviest thing the band has done.  Great tempo, amazing atmosphere and I enjoy the lyrics here, gives some good imagery and fits the music well.  A good closer.  Next you get a Dio cover, Rock 'n' Roll children.  Now Michael isn't a hair on Dio's asshole and I thought this would have been a trainwreck, but really, Mike holds his own and does an impressive job of this tune.  Thoreston nails Vivian's solo.

Then on my European version we get the bonus track which IMO is a top 3 song, We climb.  What the hell, this is a bonus track?  Amazing power metal.  A lot of power metal has been stale over the last 5 years, but this song takes me back ten years ago when power metal was fresh, exciting and just kicked ass.  What a chorus, and a great keyboard riff here.  Great solo section.

This album is reccommend for anyone who enjoys a great power/melodic rock/metal band.  This could be the bands best album, every listen excites me and it's not getting old anytime soon, check it out.

Best songs: Saints of Tomorrow, Rivers of Destiny, We Climb, Trinity, Dare To Be Different, Black Widow, and then the rest.

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
Well now, it seems like I am going to have to check out Eden's Curse.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline jsem

Lolhammerfall

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Well now, it seems like I am going to have to check out Eden's Curse.

Give them a go, great band.

Lolhammerfall

I know people laugh at Hammerfall, but they were an very important and highly regarded power metal band in the late ninties.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
wolf, how many discs do you have in your entire collection?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
wolf, how many discs do you have in your entire collection?

I have approx 1700 cd's.  I can give you an exact number later when I'm at home.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
impressive

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
I will have to check these guys out as well! Loving the write-ups Wolf!

Offline jsem

Lolhammerfall

I know people laugh at Hammerfall, but they were an very important and highly regarded power metal band in the late ninties.
I know. I kinda like it, but I can only take so much cheese before I turn off. I don't have the same problem with other power metal bands, but for some reason Hammerfall just doesn't click for me.