News:

Video of online chat between fans and members of Dream Theater:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx8cLlXnHpA&feature=youtu.be (*no chickens were harmed during the filming of this chat)

Main Menu

Black Clouds & Silver Linings: Reactions

Started by Perpetual Change, June 22, 2009, 07:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much do you like BC&SL?

It's my new favorite
33 (5.4%)
It's up there with the best of 'em
247 (40.3%)
It's good
199 (32.5%)
It's O.K.
107 (17.5%)
Never Enough
27 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 613

Mosh

Probably so they wouldn't degrade audio quality by overloading a single side of vinyl. Shattered Fortress and The Best of Times together would've made up around 26 minutes which is really pushing the limits of vinyl. Instead you get Side 2 closer to 20-21 minutes (more standard) and Side 3 closer to 18 or 19 minutes.

Wim Kruithof

Quote from: Mosh on July 30, 2023, 10:55:37 PM
Probably so they wouldn't degrade audio quality by overloading a single side of vinyl. Shattered Fortress and The Best of Times together would've made up around 26 minutes which is really pushing the limits of vinyl. Instead you get Side 2 closer to 20-21 minutes (more standard) and Side 3 closer to 18 or 19 minutes.

I see, that sound very logic, thanks!

PixelDream

Since someone resurrected this thread this year while the last post was from 2019, I'm grabbing this thread to comment on The Shattered Fortress.

Since hearing the news of MP's return I've revisiting the discography and this is a track that I did enjoy when BC&SL came out, but I kind of forgot about. It's an ending finale and reprises all those riffs and melodies from the earlier Twelve Step songs but holy smokes it really kicks so much more ass than I remember. I love how they tie everything together and JLB's vocals are absolutely great here. I swear in moments he almost sounds like he did on Awake.

I've always undervalued this one, seeing it as an 'easy' way to wrap up the suite since it doesn't feature a lot of new composition, but now years later it's such a joy to hear all those iconic riffs and themes from earlier 12SS tracks come together in an epic finale.

Jamesman42

I'm relistening to ANTR just because it's been years. It's really good but I am only 7.5 minutes in. I am fearing the MP "growls" coming up
\o\ lol /o/

TAC

Ironically, I listened to this today as well. I have never cared for The Shattered Fortress. I thought it was a huge let down. I love the "I am responsible" part at the end.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Jamesman42

Aww man, I love TSF. I can see why people wouldn't like it though.

I am not listening to the whole album, but I also decided to listen to The Best of Times. I am liking it more than I remember, but I still wouldn't want to come back to it often at all. The end guitar solo is about to come on and I about to come on.
\o\ lol /o/

TAC

I thought The Shattered Fortress was great live.

The Best Of Times is one of my favorite DT songs.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Jamesman42

Oh wow, that's cool, I never thought highly of it besides the solo, but I am appreciating it more now.
\o\ lol /o/

TAC

Quote from: Jamesman42 on November 14, 2023, 05:28:26 PM
Oh wow, that's cool, I never thought highly of it besides the solo, but I am appreciating it more now.

I think the intro is beautiful. I find the song very touching.

bosk1

I like The Shattered Fortress, but the "Take all of me" TROAE reprise takes the reprises a bit too far for me because it just sounds jarring and interrupts the flow of the song for me (although the lyrics for that part fit perfectly for what the 12 steps require), as does the Repentence reprise.  But that said, I still really enjoy it, and it was fantastic live on the DT12 tour.

TAC

Jamesman42

Quote from: TAC on November 14, 2023, 05:31:32 PM

I agree, now. Still isn't climbing my rankings much, but I appreciate it more.

TROAE in TSF is jarring, I can't aruge that. But it has a cool atmosphere. Maybe it needed something to lead into that part.
\o\ lol /o/

Mosh

I really liked TSF live and in context of the entire suite, but on the album it kinda breaks the flow for me. Some of the callbacks are definitely a little jarring out of context and makes the whole thing feel disconnected from the rest of the album.

Dedalus

Curious personal fact about listening to this album:
Before the album came out I had a small accident that led to complications and I almost died. I stayed in the hospital for a long time. When BCSL came out I listened to it a lot doing physiotherapy to try to walk again. I just remember thinking WTF!? (I think for the album and for the situation I was in  :biggrin:).

This album always reminds me of physical therapy exercises.  :lol

I consider DT's worst album.

hefdaddy42

Quote from: Dedalus on November 14, 2023, 06:19:40 PM
I consider DT's worst album.
I think I agree.  I have always held WDADU as their worst, with BC&SL just above.  But I am on the verge of flip-flopping them.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

crystalstars17

Quote from: TAC on November 14, 2023, 05:16:28 PM
Ironically, I listened to this today as well. I have never cared for The Shattered Fortress. I thought it was a huge let down. I love the "I am responsible" part at the end.

I don't care for this song as a whole but I do agree with you about that part.
fangirl (noun) : a girl or woman who is an extremely or overly enthusiastic fan of someone or something

fangirl (verb) : to exhibit fandom often to an excessive degree : to behave like an extremely devoted or overly excited fangirl

PixelDream

I agree with ppl here that in The Shattered Fortress, the reprise of The Root of All Evil "Take all of me.." is incredibly jarring. The JP solo over the TROAE riff is amazing though and indeed the 'I am responsible' part wraps it all up nicely.

JeopardousRaven

This may have been mentioned earlier in the thread but I always hated how The Shattered Fortress ends with the same drum/bass riff that The Glass Prison starts with. If the whole suite is about Mike's journey and growth from alcoholism to sobriety, why the fuck would the suite end as it began? It makes sense for a song like Octavarium where the entire concept is moving in a circle but it just feels stupid and ill-thought-out for the 12 Step Suite. Am I missing something here?

wolfking

The whole 12SS gets let down by the last two songs.  I actually enjoy TSF, but it it feels pretty anti climatic when it's up against the first three parts.

Stadler

Quote from: TAC on November 14, 2023, 05:31:32 PM

I do too.  I don't really get the hate for that song, honestly. Other than maybe one line, I think the lyrics are thoughtful and well done.  The solo is amazing, as is the sort of "jam" at the end. 

Honestly, the only thing I don't like about BC&SL is the sort of cliched growled one word technique ("FREEDOM!", "SERENITY!") in Shattered Fortress. I hate that technique.

Wim Kruithof

For me, the Shattered Fortress is the perfect ending to a beautifully vulnerable suite, in which Portnoy leaves virtually nothing of his self-esteem intact. Without a doubt, lyrically the 'receive part' is the most beautiful of the entire suite. Portnoy has overcome his pain and addiction and considers himself blessed. From that perception, it makes sense to share, after so much has been given to you. I find the prayer that follows very emotional and - as a Christian - I fully recognize myself in it. To say, I recognize the desire to fulfill the prayer, but also the feeling of lacking what I should. The most beautiful part of the lyrics in the entire discography.

Lax

Lost my long answer, I'm so pissed lol

I disliked this album, same as systematic chaos.

-Nightmare : Not as ballsy as the glass prison and without the beautiful agony part the song would have had way less impact.
-A rite of passage : forgettable
-TSF : Nice collection of riffs, especially when the end meets the glass prison backwards. But song sounds like an angry compilation of previous ones.
-Wither : Vomited and never heard again.
-Tuscany : I like part1 which is progAF. Part2 is strangely paced and sounds like an outro but isn't one...

So after 2 albums I disliked, I was happy to discover ADTOE and so on !

hefdaddy42

Quote from: JeopardousRaven on November 16, 2023, 12:31:20 AM
This may have been mentioned earlier in the thread but I always hated how The Shattered Fortress ends with the same drum/bass riff that The Glass Prison starts with. If the whole suite is about Mike's journey and growth from alcoholism to sobriety, why the fuck would the suite end as it began? It makes sense for a song like Octavarium where the entire concept is moving in a circle but it just feels stupid and ill-thought-out for the 12 Step Suite. Am I missing something here?
Well, I am kind of pissed that I never thought about this before.

You are right.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Jamesman42

Nah, it's just concluding it. You could also argue that ends almost the same way (barring the static), that chord that strikes could signify that he is going back into the static a changed man through the 12 steps.
\o\ lol /o/

hefdaddy42

Quote from: Jamesman42 on November 16, 2023, 07:03:30 AM
Nah, it's just concluding it. You could also argue that ends almost the same way (barring the static), that chord that strikes could signify that he is going back into the static a changed man through the 12 steps.
In what way?

Jamesman42

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 16, 2023, 07:39:44 AM
In what way?
Not sure to which part you are referring.
\o\ lol /o/

Madman Shepherd

Quote from: JeopardousRaven on November 16, 2023, 12:31:20 AM
This may have been mentioned earlier in the thread but I always hated how The Shattered Fortress ends with the same drum/bass riff that The Glass Prison starts with. If the whole suite is about Mike's journey and growth from alcoholism to sobriety, why the fuck would the suite end as it began?

I think it makes sense. The riff almost lingers at the end and for alcoholics they've never fully recovered. The urge is always there. There will always be a reminder that that one sip is waiting for you and to think of your full journey as you decide if it'll be that big of a deal to just fall off the wagon for a minute or hour or twenty years.

Revenge319

Quote from: Madman Shepherd on November 16, 2023, 09:06:02 AM
I think it makes sense. The riff almost lingers at the end and for alcoholics they've never fully recovered. The urge is always there. There will always be a reminder that that one sip is waiting for you and to think of your full journey as you decide if it'll be that big of a deal to just fall off the wagon for a minute or hour or twenty years.

I agree with these. However, I also think it could symbolize someone else's fall into alcoholism. With the last movement being about taking on the responsibility of helping others just as others have helped you through AA, I think that it is being depicted as a cycle in that sort of way. You've struggled through it, came out on top having changed for the better, and now you're prepared to help anyone who's going through the same thing. And I think the chord at the very end shows that things will be different for you, that even though the threat still exists, you won't fall back into temptation so easily.

hefdaddy42

Quote from: Jamesman42 on November 16, 2023, 07:46:39 AM
In what way?
Your entire proposal

Jamesman42

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 16, 2023, 11:12:30 AM
Quote from: Jamesman42 on November 16, 2023, 07:46:39 AM
In what way?
Your entire proposal
I'm not sure what you are not understanding, dad.
\o\ lol /o/

Madman Shepherd

Quote from: Revenge319 on November 16, 2023, 09:55:50 AM

I agree with these. However, I also think it could symbolize someone else's fall into alcoholism. With the last movement being about taking on the responsibility of helping others just as others have helped you through AA, I think that it is being depicted as a cycle in that sort of way. You've struggled through it, came out on top having changed for the better, and now you're prepared to help anyone who's going through the same thing. And I think the chord at the very end shows that things will be different for you, that even though the threat still exists, you won't fall back into temptation so easily.

I like that take too!

It's funny. I always hated this song but their performance on the Along for the Ride tour changed my mind. I way prefer that to the album version though and I still don't love the song.

Jamesman42

Quote from: Madman Shepherd on November 16, 2023, 04:32:30 PM
Quote from: Revenge319 on November 16, 2023, 09:55:50 AM

I like that take too!

It's funny. I always hated this song but their performance on the Along for the Ride tour changed my mind. I way prefer that to the album version though and I still don't love the song.

Do you have a version you're fond of you can share? (if it's allowed)

I missed it on my massive DT break.
\o\ lol /o/

TAC

James, just hit the Breaking The Fourth Wall version.

Jamesman42

Quote from: TAC on November 16, 2023, 05:31:09 PM

I just watched it, holy shit that was better than the album version!
\o\ lol /o/

wolfking

Quote from: Jamesman42 on November 16, 2023, 06:12:30 PM
Quote from: TAC on November 16, 2023, 05:31:09 PM

I just watched it, holy shit that was better than the album version!

Haha, I'm guessing that's why he told you to check it!