Main Menu

Top 50 Albums, v. ariich

Started by ariich, May 13, 2011, 04:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gadough

Quote from: ariich on May 31, 2011, 01:06:43 PM
Quote from: Gadough on May 30, 2011, 09:49:18 PM
Quote from: Nick on May 30, 2011, 04:25:46 PM
Quad, I know it seems wrong, but look at who the bloody hell we're dealing with here.

Fucking holy lol
Ah I do love a good dose of irony. :lol

I don't know what's funnier: the irony, or the fact that he employed British slang to insult you.

Jamesman42

I recently listened to TBU on Grooveshark. Beautiful, but need more time to digest.
\o\ lol /o/

Ultimetalhead

I've always wanted to get into BT. Looks like TBU is the place to start.

ariich

Nearly there...

4. Porcupine Tree – Deadwing [2005]

There is no doubt in my mind that this album is PT at their absolute peak. The album is dense yet accessible, and has a fantastic dark and heavy vibe throughout that just grabs me and forces me to keep listening. As soon as I hear the opening notes of the opener, I know I'm going to hear the whole album. It's such a consistently amazing record – even the songs that I'm less keen on are great, which makes it really bloody hard to vote in the PT survivor whenever this album comes up. :P When I first started listening to PT, like many fans I was all about In Absentia, and while of course I love that album dearly, it simply doesn't have the underlying substance that Deadwing has. Whereas 5 years or so on, Deadwing still gets better and better with every listen. Which is truly remarkable when you think about it.

3. Jeff Buckley – Grace [1994]

I can't believe I only discovered this album last year. Like, seriously, I am horrified by this fact. I had heard about Buckley for years and knew that he was a big influence on Daniel Gildenlow who is one of my favourite musicians and singers, but the only song I had heard was his cover of Hallelujah, which while lovely never really jumped out at me at being anything special. So for years I just never got round to checking his music out properly. Finally I decided to have a listen to this album, and was completely and utterly blown away. The music is incredible – powerful and unusual, but never too much so as to put off more casual listeners. And the voice... OH MY GOD THE VOICE! It is soulful and epic and emotional and beautiful and everything else. This album is simply incredible, but more than that, it was also ahead of its time and unlike anything else that had been made. It is absolutely tragic that he was taken from us at such a young age, but at least we are lucky enough to have this masterpiece.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

Gorille85

Although I prefer Blood Inside, it's nice to see Ulver on the list! :tup Deadwing is also my favorite PT album too.

And I'll check out that BT album...

ClairvoyantCat

Grace is amazing!  Beautiful album.

Deadwing, though not one of my favorite Porcupine Tree albums, is awesome as well.

Zantera

Great albums, though I wouldn't rank neither THAT high myself.
But still excited about what's to come.

ariich

I think I might just not post the final two for a few months, does that sound cool?

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.

Gorille85

Nick

Good to see the best Porcupine Tree album made a spot in your top 10, as it most likely would in mine as well.

Ultimetalhead

Deadwing is the winrar of all PT.

zxlkho

Deadwing here means that In Ansentia is number 2 or 1 right? :neverusethis:

Also Grace is fucking mind blowing.

Ravenheart

Two great albums. Deadwing was the first PT album I grew to love.
Quote from: ariich on June 02, 2011, 03:18:45 PM
I think I might just not post the final two for a few months, does that sound cool?

Gadough

Quote from: ariich on June 02, 2011, 03:18:45 PM

You and Sigz should have a contest to see who can hold off the longest.

zxlkho

He's winning by about 4 months right now.

ClairvoyantCat

I was going to try to outlast Sigz for the final round of my roulette for driving people crazy with a lack of update, but he is clearly the superior lazy motherfucker. 

Gadough

Jamesman42

\o\ lol /o/

ClairvoyantCat

Quote from: Jamesman on June 02, 2011, 05:19:19 PM
What is Jeff Buckley like?

Well, his voice is pretty much the best voice ever.  So just imagine that, if you can.  The music is very singer-songwriter oriented, of course, but not in too typical or uncreative of a way, actually. 

zxlkho

It's like... alternative rock kinda. He's got an incredible voice though and he's a fantastic guitar player.

Jamesman42

Three songs to listen to then GOGOGO
\o\ lol /o/

zxlkho

Eternal Life, Last Goodbye, Lover You Should Have Come Over

and you HAVE TO listen to his version of Hallelujah. It's amazing.

ClairvoyantCat

Quote from: zxlkho on June 02, 2011, 05:27:26 PM
Eternal Life, Last Goodbye, Lover You Should Have Come Over

and you HAVE TO listen to his version of Hallelujah. It's amazing.

No, no, and yes.

Dream Brother, You and I, Lover you Should have Come Over,

Jamesman42

Eternal Life, Dream Brother and Lover You Should Have Come Over it is

\o\ lol /o/

PixelDream

'Deadwing' and 'Grace' are top 5 albums for me as well. I agree on 'Deadwing' being PT's best record. Can't get enough of it, never will.

Jamesman42

Not feeling the songs besides Eternal Life. Probably a grower artist.
\o\ lol /o/

zxlkho

listen to Last Goodbye and Hallelujah

Jamesman42

I did also listen to Hallelujah as well and that was part of my opinion...

Listening to Last Goodbye now
\o\ lol /o/

ariich

Just listen to the whole damn album you silly boy.

Sigz

I never cared much for Jeff Buckley. Deadwing definitely deserves its place though :metal

And my last exam is in an hour, I might actually finish mine after that.

Maybe.

Okay probably not but I'm going to say that I will.

Ravenheart

Hold me close and say my name.

jag66

2 great albums. Lover you shoulda come ova is my favourite, but Grace is good from start to finish..

Kosmo

Deadwing! :caffeine: My favorite PT album.

tgstk2

I  bet  DT is in the top 2....
with PanterA on one.... good choice!

Zydar

ABBA's Super Trouper is #1. Just a hunch.