News:

DreamTheaterForums is a place for people who just don't have the time for music anymore. 

Main Menu

Top 50 Albums, v. ariich

Started by ariich, May 13, 2011, 04:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gadough

ClairvoyantCat

Ravenheart

Blackwater Park was my first metal album ever  :metal

Quadrochosis

PH is definitely better than BWP though.

Good Job, Rich

ariich

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

zxlkho

Quadrochosis

lol having an opinion about an album you've never heard

zxlkho

Quadrochosis

skydivingninja

Having heard PH I can say that BWP is better.

MetalManiac666

Quote from: Ravenheart on May 31, 2011, 01:30:27 PM

Wait, really?

As for the most recent update, BWP is indeed pure bleak (heh) bliss.  I'm also a bit of a Flower Kings fan, though I've never listened to Paradox Hotel.

Ravenheart

Quote from: MetalManiac666 on May 31, 2011, 03:54:12 PM

Wait, really?
Yup. I know it seems like a rather unorthodox choice, but it was my introduction to not only Opeth but metal in general :)

ClairvoyantCat

Das crazy gurl

I thought everyone was introduced to metal through, like, Killswitch Engage or Metallica or something  :lol

Ravenheart

:lol

Ironically, I've never been able to dig Metallica, and I hadn't heard of Killswitch Engage until really late in the game.

Gorille85

Fables of the Sleepless Empire better be in your top 10! :neverusethis:

ClairvoyantCat

Quote from: Ravenheart on May 31, 2011, 04:09:17 PM

Ironically, I've never been able to dig Metallica, and I hadn't heard of Killswitch Engage until really late in the game.

Yeah, I don't like them either, but Opeth is still certainly a very atypical introductory metal band!

Ravenheart

Quote from: ClairvoyantCat on May 31, 2011, 04:28:03 PM
Quote from: Ravenheart on May 31, 2011, 04:09:17 PM

Yeah, I don't like them either, but Opeth is still certainly a very atypical introductory metal band!
*Points to my user title*

zxlkho

PixelDream

ariich! I freakin' love Shpongle, been listening to it for years with great pleasure. Never seem to get tired of the otherness that they provide. 'Tales' is a great album, and I'm really glad with their latest too.

Zantera

Sigz

Me too :D o/

Unless you consider Octavarium metal, which I guess it kind of is.

Ravenheart

Quote from: Sigz on June 01, 2011, 03:06:14 AM

Me too :D o/
*\o

QuoteUnless you consider Octavarium metal, which I guess it kind of is.

Juuust kidding  :heart :D

Plasmastrike

BWP and PH - two of my favorite albums! Reading your description of Paradox made me want to spin that album today when I get home. :biggrin:

glaurung

Based on the album artwork alone we now know that the #1 album on the list will be Opeth's Heritage.

ariich

BOOM!

6. Ulver – Perdition City [2000]

I can only imagine what a mindf*** this album (and the EP that preceded it) was to Ulver fans when it first came out, because although they'd done some unusual stuff on their first few albums, to completely scrap any hint of metal and go in an electronic avant-garde direction must have been completely baffling. But that is what is so great about the band, they constantly reinvent themselves and yet always have that underlying dark Ulver-ness to them. For me, this album is that absolute epitome of their work, thanks to the atmosphere and the consistently high quality throughout. It's dark, gloomy and sexy. It's weird and experimental, and sounds like the aural equivalent of someone trying to write a noir film on drugs. And it's a masterpiece.

5. BT – This Binary Universe [2006]

This was the first electronic album that I ever really got into, back when it first came out, and what a way to introduce me to the genre! BT's stuff varies between ambient music, techno, electro-pop and all sorts of other styles (even a bit of rock on his latest album), but what I love about this album is that it seems to fit a bit of everything in, but on the whole keeping an ambient and relaxed tone. The music is simply beautiful and the album flows wonderfully. I got the special edition that came with the DVD that has video accompaniment to every song, so my first listen was done watching the videos, and it's still one of the greatest musical experiences of my life. The videos are PERFECT for the music, and closer Good Morning Kaia in particular put tears in my eyes. Truly wonderful stuff.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.

ClairvoyantCat

I love Ulver.  I'd have a couple of records of theirs over Perdition City but it is awesome.  Only heard a few BT tracks a while back, but they sounded cool. 

But, anyhow, fuck yeah Ulver.

Ravenheart

Two fantastic albums. This Binary Universe is beautiful.

Perdition City is awesome, but that goes without saying.

zxlkho

Durg

I'm just now checking out Thrice - Beggars for the first time on Grooveshark.   :omg:

WHY DIDN'T I KNOW ABOUT THESE GUYS BEFORE!  This is great music!

Zantera

Ulver!
Perdition City is my favorite, great to see it so high.

pain of occupation

actually on stage they weren't very interesting back then. [/quote]

great music, opeth, but they remain mostly bland on stage

EDIT: i suck at quotes.

ariich

Quote from: ClairvoyantCat on June 01, 2011, 11:00:56 AM
I love Ulver.  I'd have a couple of records of theirs over Perdition City but it is awesome.  Only heard a few BT tracks a while back, but they sounded cool. 
I used to prefer Blood Inside, but I actually find that slightly less consistent now whereas my love for Perdition City shows no sign of abating.

Quote from: Durg on June 01, 2011, 11:07:18 AM
I'm just now checking out Thrice - Beggars for the first time on Grooveshark.   :omg:

WHY DIDN'T I KNOW ABOUT THESE GUYS BEFORE!  This is great music!
Great to hear you've checked them out! :D

Quote from: pain of occupation on June 01, 2011, 12:31:48 PM
great music, opeth, but they remain mostly bland on stage
I disagree, Mikael has great stage presence these days, and his banter between songs is amazing.

Ravenheart

"Lead singer... guitar player... songwriter... and uh, sexy beast... Bubba Smith! Thank you very much."

skydivingninja

Rich, you must love the Mew album you have coming up.

contest_sanity

And I'm sure God will be quite pleased that you have Theocracy in your top 4 as well.