News:

BREAKING NEWS:  Dream Theater reunites with drummer Mike Portnoy (10/25/23)

Main Menu

An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer

Started by Weymolith, April 18, 2011, 08:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackngold29

Quote from: ReaPsTA on April 21, 2011, 11:08:49 AM
Am I the only one who thinks Marco Minneman looks like Dirk Nowitzki?
No

Quote from: FretMuppet on April 21, 2011, 11:06:40 AM

What if all 7 are the new drummers?
That would be awesome. Seven drummers, seven songs. One guy gets to tour.

Although they left out the audition tape from that Beiber kid for some reason....

zxlkho

Quote from: ariich on April 21, 2011, 11:15:48 AM
Quote from: zxlkho on April 21, 2011, 11:11:43 AM
I'm not necessarily butthurt about it, but I am kind of disappointed they tried to pull a VH1 special out of this. They're exploiting it to the max.
Yeah, how dare they have a bit of fun and publicise the band in the process? DAMN THEM!
What I'm trying to say is: I don't give a damn who the new drummer is, I just want the album.

Mebert78

After watching the trailer a few times, I wish JLB had his long hair while they were shooting the documentary. 

Other than that:  :metal

blackngold29

I wonder if Opeth will have this many people on their forums during the lead up to announcing the new keyboard player?

ReaPsTA

I'm not necessarily butthurt about it, but I am kind of disappointed they tried to pull a VH1 special out of this. They're exploiting it to the max.

We'll see how it turns out.  Some Kind of Monster, in spite of the ego behind it, is one of the most brutally honest things anyone's ever put out about themselves to the media, which makes it great.  I don't expect the same level of emotional depth and conflict here, but it can work and be great if it's open and honest instead of being an extended promo piece.

blackngold29

Quote from: ReaPsTA on April 21, 2011, 11:21:21 AM

We'll see how it turns out.  Some Kind of Monster, in spite of the ego behind it, is one of the most brutally honest things anyone's ever put out about themselves to the media, which makes it great.  I don't expect the same level of emotional depth and conflict here, but it can work and be great if it's open and honest instead of being an extended promo piece.
Yeah, the black and white part where they're talking about MP gives a glimpse into why they haven't said much about it. We will get to hear they're side at some point.

Also, maybe this has been mentioned, but would you like to see MP make an appearance at some point? So they could really make it a complete overall view from both sides of the whole situation?

ricky

just watched the facebook version.

what they said makes sense to me. they aren't looking for just a drummer, theyre looking for some who "fits", and to me that's Mangini. Berklee alumni, like the other guys in DT, and they've even worked with him before, unlike Lang. And he's a similar age, which helps.

its easy to forget its more than just the drumming.

KevShmev

So?  So long as the music doesn't suffer (in the sense of them "selling out" to gain more popularity), it's all good.

zxlkho

Some Kind of Monster really just showed how washed up Metallica was as a group. It really served no other purpose than that. I hope DT's documentary doesn't show this kind of thing.

zxlkho

Quote from: KevShmev on April 21, 2011, 11:24:41 AM

So?  So long as the music doesn't suffer (in the sense of them "selling out" to gain more popularity), it's all good.
This is what I'm afraid is going to happen.

KevShmev

Quote from: zxlkho on April 21, 2011, 11:25:21 AM
Quote from: KevShmev on April 21, 2011, 11:24:41 AM

So?  So long as the music doesn't suffer (in the sense of them "selling out" to gain more popularity), it's all good.
This is what I'm afraid is going to happen.

Why would you think that?  RR has been promoting them like crazy since they got them, and nothing DT has done since has sounded like a sell out attempt to gain more popularity.  Remember that DT has had catchy songs (by prog metal standards) on almost every record that could have been somewhat popular in the mainstream had they been properly promoted, so don't freak out when one or two songs on the new album have that feel.

Adami

Quote from: zxlkho on April 21, 2011, 11:24:52 AM
Some Kind of Monster really just showed how washed up Metallica was as a group. It really served no other purpose than that. I hope DT's documentary doesn't show this kind of thing.

You seem like such a negative person. Smile. :)
[url="//www.fanticide.bandcamp.com"]www.fanticide.bandcamp.com[/url]

rumborak

Quote from: SeventhSon on April 21, 2011, 10:13:23 AM
Some of these guys are gonna need bigger kits.

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing a smaller kit. I like it when drummers focus on the essentials. As with many other things, music thrives on limitation.

rumborak

Raziel666

Quote from: Random guy @ MP forumsI am "friends" with 5 of the 7 drummers who auditions on FaceBook (and yes it is really them, promise) and told them I saw the vid and wished them the best of luck. About 5 minutes after I posted, Marco Minnemann actually responded telling me that he IS NOT the drummer of DT. But he's working with JR on the Musical Minds Meld thing, and he also mentioned that he's working on something with JR and JP...

If this is true, it will be interesting to hear from a MM/JP/JR collaboration! Maybe call Tony Levin on the bass and have fun again!

(source: https://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?high=&m=2661316&mpage=10#2662621)

EternalDancer

Enough of this chit. How about a new, sticky, locked thread that we can bookmark and sign up for notifications when there is real news. I just can't be assed to wade through 16 pages of crap to find any solid news

Still don't know why the old "updated" thread was removed that I had bookmarked - c'mon admins give us a break

rumborak

Quote from: Random guy @ MP forumsafter I posted, Marco Minnemann actually responded telling me that he IS NOT the drummer of DT

:'(  :'(

phentalmyst

Quote from: rumborak on April 21, 2011, 11:51:14 AM
Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing a smaller kit. I like it when drummers focus on the essentials. As with many other things, music thrives on limitation.

rumborak

as a drummer myself, this comment urks me. "essential" is a subjective word at best, especially when it comes to music. besides, DT is about being over the top, is in not? if you want a 4 piece kit treatment go listen to nirvana.

regardless, anyone who says it's possible to make a 3 piece kit sound like 50 has never touched a drumstick in their life.

Nic35

Quote from: EternalDancer on April 21, 2011, 11:53:33 AM
Enough of this chit. How about a new, sticky, locked thread that we can bookmark and sign up for notifications when there is real news. I just can't be assed to wade through 16 pages of crap to find any solid news

Still don't know why the old "updated" thread was removed that I had bookmarked - c'mon admins give us a break
U mad?

phentalmyst

PS: it's DT's limitless nature that got me into them in the first place. why start limiting now?

jsem

Quote from: EternalDancer on April 21, 2011, 11:53:33 AM

Jamesman42

Nugget: Over the Edge produced the movie, JLB has a song called Over the Edge on Static Impulse.

Oh God it never ends
\o\ lol /o/

rumborak

Quote from: phentalmyst on April 21, 2011, 12:01:12 PM
Quote from: rumborak on April 21, 2011, 11:51:14 AM

rumborak

as a drummer myself, this comment urks me. "essential" is a subjective word at best, especially when it comes to music. besides, DT is about being over the top, is in not? if you want a 4 piece kit treatment go listen to nirvana.

regardless, anyone who says it's possible to make a 3 piece kit sound like 50 has never touched a drumstick in their life.

And anybody who claims prog needs to be played with a 50-piece drum kit has never listened to good prog.
IMHO, MP had a tendency to just "work" the big kit the easy way, with fills that just seemed to try to execute as many different pieces as possible. Again, this is my personal opinion, but I think art has a tendency to lose its focus if it is too unconstrained.

rumborak

phentalmyst

Quote from: rumborak on April 21, 2011, 12:16:49 PM
And anybody who claims prog needs to be played with a 50-piece drum kit has never listened to good prog.
IMHO, MP had a tendency to just "work" the big kit the easy way, with fills that just seemed to try to execute as many different pieces as possible. Again, this is my personal opinion, but I think art has a tendency to lose its focus if it is too unconstrained.

rumborak

but DT isn't just prog. they have a lot of elements that IMO require a lot of different percussive sounds. i agree with the MP comment, especially as of late, but guys like bobby jarzombek are creative as hell with kits of a large size. sure they could do cool stuff on smaller kits, but i come to DT to be blown away in ALL facets...

ronrule

JP: "We literally have been a family"

Literally?  LITERALLY?   :P

bosk1

robwebster

Quote from: ronrule on April 21, 2011, 12:25:40 PM
JP: "We literally have been a family"

Literally?  LITERALLY?   :P
I thought that!

"John Myung is LITERALLY my grandfather."

zxlkho

Bone_Daddy

Some Kind of Monster, in spite of the ego behind it, is one of the most brutally honest things anyone's ever put out about themselves to the media, which makes it great.

One of the best music documentaries out there 2nd only to Behind the Lighted Stage.

phentalmyst

i would add the foo fighters doc into that mix. the stuff on nirvana was  :corn

zxlkho

Quote from: Bone_Daddy on April 21, 2011, 12:28:03 PM
Some Kind of Monster, in spite of the ego behind it, is one of the most brutally honest things anyone's ever put out about themselves to the media, which makes it great.

One of the best music documentaries out there 2nd only to Behind the Lighted Stage.
I raise you Metal: A Headbanger's Journey and Flight 666.

ronrule

JLB:  "We've been touched by some magic here; but I think, you know, there's still more to come"

Oooh, a sequel!  Dream Theater 2: The Spirit Carries Onner?

robwebster

Quote from: ronrule on April 21, 2011, 12:40:56 PM
JLB:  "We've been touched by some magic here; but I think, you know, there's still more to come"

Oooh, a sequel!  Dream Theater 2: The Spirit Carries Onner?

JLB: We've been touched by some magic here; but I think, you know, there's still more to come.

(JAMES glares significantly at JOHN MYUNG.)

Deve

I know a lot of people don't like this whole "reality search" kind of thing for the new drummer, but I for one am so excited. I know when I'm watching it I'm gonna be rooting for specific people and it'll be a blast to hear seven amazing drummer's takes on DT songs. Cannot wait for this!

DeanTheater

I must admit The whole "reality charade" does have me excited.  I think it is a great ploy. And, by the amount of replies on facebook(1 ever 10-13 sec)  on the subject, I would say DT/RR  are doing things right.  This is a big reveal, as evidenced by the interwebz buzz since MP's departure.  I am jazzed about the whole thing.