Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 661011 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #140 on: April 19, 2011, 04:41:47 PM »
A few weeks ago I would have been excited for any announcement, even this announcement of an announcement, but I find I'm not.
Can't wait to hear the album but I got new drummer fatigue a few weeks ago. I think part of that is because I suspect it's Mangini and I'm not excited by the thought. If the video of the auditions comes true it may be the only chance I get of seeing DT with Thomas Lang and I will stir up some excitment for that.

Is it just me that thinks 3 days to audition 7 drummers doesn't seem a long time to be making such a big decision? 2-3 a day, some playing and some bonding.
 At least it hasn't taken as long as choosing a singer. Imagine if the internet had been around then... We found the guy... oh,no we haven't... we found another...err no... we found this chick...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #141 on: April 19, 2011, 04:46:22 PM »
So in two weeks you've lost interest?  I bet you chat like a teenage girl in love when we find out the drummer and when the album will be released.  I know I will. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: April 19, 2011, 04:55:38 PM »
Is it just me that thinks 3 days to audition 7 drummers doesn't seem a long time to be making such a big decision?

I thought that too, but I imagine some band members already knew the candidates personally, and possibly even have worked with them in some capacity in the past.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline darkshot

« Reply #143 on: April 19, 2011, 04:57:32 PM »
3 days of auditioning, but who knows how long it took them to come to the decision after the fact.  They probably reviewed the videos many times before deciding (unless it was an obvious choice which I doubt)

Offline mittinagus

• Mexican Bad-ass...
  • Matando Güeros!
« Reply #144 on: April 19, 2011, 07:14:15 PM »
I think they just want to justify why they chose a drummer that wants to be the fastest in the world and sounds like a drum machine doing it...

I'm more excited for audition videos than for the announcement itself...

Tin

Offline manticore999

« Reply #145 on: April 19, 2011, 07:22:05 PM »
I remember back when there was word that George Lucas was going to make the first three movies in the Star Wars saga, to tell how it all began.  Then came more hype, more rumors, more 'speculations' from the fans, more 'secrets exposed' about the upcoming first movie. Finally they announced the movie release date - which was going to be in, like, 10 months or so from the announcement.  Cue more speculation, more secrets more advertising, more teasers, more previews.  Finally .... finally ... opening day came and I didn't give a shit.  I was so tired of hearing about it that I completely lost interest and I've never seen more than the first 30-40 minutes of the first one before I fell asleep and never saw anything else.

All that to say that I'm completely losing interest in this.  I couldn't care less if they released an album at this point.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #146 on: April 19, 2011, 07:31:26 PM »
 :facepalm:

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #147 on: April 19, 2011, 08:05:37 PM »
*Press Release*
Wow, color me excited. Thursday is marked on the calendar! :metal

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #148 on: April 19, 2011, 08:06:21 PM »
But dude, Episode I was fantastic. You really missed out. :neverusethis:

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #149 on: April 19, 2011, 08:11:31 PM »
That's why I don't keep looking at the pot to see when the water will finally boil. I go on until it's ready. Such a waste of time, energy, and excitement when you do that with this kind of stuff.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #150 on: April 19, 2011, 10:04:43 PM »
That's why I don't keep looking at the pot to see when the water will finally boil. I go on until it's ready. Such a waste of time, energy, and excitement when you do that with this kind of stuff.

+1

I can't help but feel DT know that we don't really care anymore, yet this is their way of trying to gain more interest. Granted, I know whoever they picked will do well, but still.

I think they succeeded in renewing interest. I said I didn't care anymore, yet now I do.

edit - too lazy to fix broken quote, you guys know me by now.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Aniland

« Reply #151 on: April 20, 2011, 11:23:31 AM »
It's the monumental fault of somebody that this information was not given to us sooner. Label people can be idiots.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #152 on: April 20, 2011, 11:37:29 AM »
The thing is, we aren't ever guaranteed info about anything a band does, other than an album being released and tour dates.

Basically what I'm trying to say is its funny how people are getting this hurt about not knowing the new drummer. 
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #153 on: April 20, 2011, 12:10:22 PM »
It's the monumental fault of somebody that this information was not given to us sooner. Label people can be idiots.

And fans can be annoyingly impatient.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: April 20, 2011, 12:35:27 PM »

Amen Kev.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #155 on: April 20, 2011, 12:42:59 PM »
am i the only one hoping a lot of you are gonna be cleaning egg off your faces??

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #156 on: April 20, 2011, 12:52:26 PM »
So in two weeks you've lost interest?  I bet you chat like a teenage girl in love when we find out the drummer and when the album will be released.  I know I will. :lol

It's impossible to maintain that level of excitement and expectation (just ask  my wife!) and I just burnt out on it I guess. It will change with the announcement, probably, but not for an announcement of an announcement.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: April 20, 2011, 12:59:49 PM »
So in two weeks you've lost interest?  I bet you chat like a teenage girl in love when we find out the drummer and when the album will be released.  I know I will. :lol

It's impossible to maintain that level of excitement and expectation (just ask  my wife!) and I just burnt out on it I guess. It will change with the announcement, probably, but not for an announcement of an announcement.

The wife analogy Lowdz was perfect. :rollin

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #158 on: April 20, 2011, 01:42:13 PM »
a lot of people online think the announcement is tomorrow. im pretty sure we arent getting the actual drummer's name, but the list of the seven with videos hopefully

Offline ronrule

« Reply #159 on: April 20, 2011, 02:31:35 PM »
. . .the list of the seven with videos hopefully

I bet it will be weekly videos of the auditions.  Or teasers of the videos, with options to purchase a full DVD documentary.  They are going to spread this out to build up to album release and make money.  I think it will also be presented as very complimentary to all who auditioned, promoting whatever projects they have going so they don't look like "losers".

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: April 20, 2011, 02:35:11 PM »
. . .the list of the seven with videos hopefully

I bet it will be weekly videos of the auditions.  Or teasers of the videos, with options to purchase a full DVD documentary.  They are going to spread this out to build up to album release and make money.  I think it will also be presented as very complimentary to all who auditioned, promoting whatever projects they have going so they don't look like "losers".

This makes so much sense.  Remember how the video's of them working in the studio during SDOIT?!  I think that's what they'll do.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #161 on: April 20, 2011, 03:16:44 PM »
Taken from https://www.sickdrummermagazine.com/index.php/news/latest-news/2207-dream-theater-drummer-auditions-inside-story.html

There has been much talk over Dream Theater and the auditions they held to find a new drummer, since Mike Portnoy decided to leave the band last year. The band has stayed pretty quiet about the whole process, but now they gear up to announce their decision.

A source very close to the situation has told Sick Drummer Magazine the new drummer is Mike Mangini, and others who were asked/auditioned were: Derek Roddy, Marco Minnemann, Virgil Donati, Thomas Lang, Aquiles Priester and Peter Wildoer.

This was just posted 4/18 on the record label's website: "Dream Theater would like to share with its fans some of the intense process, along with the musical joy, that went into choosing a new drummer.  Who is the best fit behind the kit? Go to Dream Theater’s Facebook page on Thursday, 4/21 at 11 AM to sign up for the mailing list and to receive more details about an exclusive and intimate look at the auditions, and to find out exactly when and how the momentous announcement about the band’s new lineup will be made.  Also on Facebook, fans will be able to find out information about the band’s upcoming 2011 World Tour".

What we do not like about this situation is the way the band went about the video footage detail. We feel the drummers were used in a sense, for their popularity. Each drummer was sent a camera to use and were asked to film as much as they could surrounding the audition. They were told it was to become "bonus footage" on a future DVD or something to that effect. The drummers were asked to film themselves preparing for the audition, practicing, traveling to the audition and anything else they felt relative. Then, upon arriving at the actual audition the drummers were asked to sign a release handing over all the video footage they had recorded, and if they didn't, they were not going to be able to audition.

We feel this is somewhat taking advantage of the drummers who auditioned and could have been handled a better way. Perhaps informing the drummers of the plan and sending a video release to be reviewed in advance. Not sticking them with a release at the audition and holding that over their heads as a requirement to audition, only to use the footage to steam up the facebook page around the announcement of the new drummer.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #162 on: April 20, 2011, 03:32:51 PM »
Well, I know it's nasty, but tbh that's the only way you could assemble something of value. If you left it up to each drummer to decide afterwards whether they want to share the material, all the rejected ones would probably say "thanks but no thanks".
Let's just hope DT shows them in the best light possible so that it's still a promotional item for all the drummers.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ronrule

« Reply #163 on: April 20, 2011, 03:41:39 PM »
Having the tryouts self-document is also smart in another way.  It really gives DT a closer look into the practice regimen, organization skills, creativity, and personality of the tryouts without spending weeks with each of them.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: April 20, 2011, 03:50:24 PM »
I trust the guys to not show anything that would portray the candidates in a negative light. And I would assume the guys weren’t filming anything stupid, like themselves taking a leak before heading out to the audition.

Never heard of Derek Roddy, so wiki’ed him, and found this:
Derek Roddy (born August 28, 1972) is an American drummer and snake breeder

:metal

We feel the drummers were used in a sense, for their popularity.

Wouldn’t the drummers also benefit from this as well? I assume I’ll learn more about all these guys from watching these videos than I knew beforehand. Maybe I am just a believer in there being no such thing as bad press. But I still think they guys would find it an honor to be asked to audition.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #165 on: April 20, 2011, 04:11:33 PM »
I am very interested how DT was able to get ALL of the drummers to remain silent.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #166 on: April 20, 2011, 04:22:34 PM »
Hmmm, that's quite the interesting story.  Plus it seems to fit in with all the more believable rumours we've heard.  Let's see if it's true  :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 04:28:14 PM by jonny108 »

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: April 20, 2011, 05:48:05 PM »
I am very interested how DT was able to get ALL of the drummers to remain silent.

They made them an offer they couldn't refuse.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #168 on: April 20, 2011, 05:50:58 PM »

I assume they just asked them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JPX

« Reply #169 on: April 20, 2011, 06:22:46 PM »
I'm sure the contract included a confidentiality clause.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #170 on: April 20, 2011, 06:26:43 PM »
It's also really not that difficult to not tell everyone that you auditioned for DT. Especially if you're one of the people we think it is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #171 on: April 20, 2011, 07:22:21 PM »
I can't wait for tomorrow  :metal

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #172 on: April 20, 2011, 07:26:11 PM »
i actually dont have anything to do tomorrow. waking up for this :metal

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: April 20, 2011, 08:38:52 PM »
I wonder what we'll know tomorrow :corn
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #174 on: April 20, 2011, 08:57:47 PM »

Nah. Plenty of time has passed. The time for patience is over.