Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 661037 times)

Offline Bone_Daddy

Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #490 on: April 21, 2011, 11:08:02 AM »
I'm just happy Mike didn't "direct" this. Anyone remember SFaM DVD? Yikes.

I think he also directed Score and Budokan.  Remember how they turned out?
Just as bad?

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #491 on: April 21, 2011, 11:09:19 AM »

Just as bad?
Umm... no?
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #492 on: April 21, 2011, 11:09:30 AM »

Just as bad?
Budokan is beautiful. The show's pretty good, but the documentary on the bonus disc is absolutely gorgeous.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #493 on: April 21, 2011, 11:10:02 AM »
It's all starting to come together now. It's probably Mangini after all, which makes it unfortunate that Trunk said what he did.

Still will be fun to watch this.  :tup

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #494 on: April 21, 2011, 11:11:31 AM »
makes me so sad watching this that marco was soo close to being in, but probably isnt.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #495 on: April 21, 2011, 11:12:07 AM »
I still think Minnemann is the best fit.....like a glove!!
absolutely this. Too bad he supposedly won't be the drummer. I still have my fingers crossed that these rumors are false and that he is in-fact a part of DT.

I'm going to play devil's advocate for just a second here, even though this is a complete reversal of some things I've said in the past.  Here's a "what-if" for you:  Given that they're doing such a media production about this, there has obviously been a good amount of pre-planning.  It seems to me that they would have taken necessary steps to limit spoiler information as much as possible.  So, that being said, what if a lot of the things that have been said about some of the 7 are intentional misdirection or at least red herrings to keep things intentionally confused and under wraps.  I've been pretty certain about who it is for a long time now based on things I've heard.  But, really, I think all bets are somewhat off.  I wouldn't be surprised if it is any of the 7.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SeventhSon

« Reply #496 on: April 21, 2011, 11:13:23 AM »
Some of these guys are gonna need bigger kits.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #497 on: April 21, 2011, 11:15:28 AM »
It does seem suspect now actually.  After all the rumors came out about who auditioned, all this stuff started happening for those drummers around the same time.  Minneman with that other band, Lang and his foot, Mangini leaving Berklee.  Coincidence?  Maybe its all a setup.  /conspiracy theory
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #498 on: April 21, 2011, 11:16:21 AM »
That vid was pretty exciting. So the documentary is titled Dream Theater 2011: The Spirit Carries On. Can't wait to see the full thing. Who else is as excited as I am we're getting closer to the announcement and album release.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #499 on: April 21, 2011, 11:16:59 AM »
Derek Roddy... I'm surprised, is the most metal drummer in all 7...I think I want him in DT  :metal

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #500 on: April 21, 2011, 11:17:55 AM »
Wow.  I'm not gonna lie, this has the potential to be an all time compelling documentary if it was done right.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Aniland

« Reply #501 on: April 21, 2011, 11:18:41 AM »
absolutely this. Too bad he supposedly won't be the drummer. I still have my fingers crossed that these rumors are false and that he is in-fact a part of DT.

I'm going to play devil's advocate for just a second here, even though this is a complete reversal of some things I've said in the past.  Here's a "what-if" for you:  Given that they're doing such a media production about this, there has obviously been a good amount of pre-planning.  It seems to me that they would have taken necessary steps to limit spoiler information as much as possible.  So, that being said, what if a lot of the things that have been said about some of the 7 are intentional misdirection or at least red herrings to keep things intentionally confused and under wraps.  I've been pretty certain about who it is for a long time now based on things I've heard.  But, really, I think all bets are somewhat off.  I wouldn't be surprised if it is any of the 7.

That's true. Didn't Peter Wildoer HIMSELF say that he was not chosen? If one of them is blatantly lying for the cover-up, I'd imagine that all information can come under that same level of scrutiny. I'm pretty okay with this. :)

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #502 on: April 21, 2011, 11:21:29 AM »
if it is somehow marco or virgil i would be ecstatic. but i will not be mad at whatever choice is made. til i hear the album of course. gotta keep an open miind

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #503 on: April 21, 2011, 11:23:41 AM »
So what we know by this...its a trailor for a documentary titled Dream Theater 2011: The Spirit Carried On about DTs search for a new drummer, which is how they're gonna reveal the drummer.

All was said in that video.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Pantherize

« Reply #504 on: April 21, 2011, 11:24:45 AM »
   OK. Just saw it on Youtube. For some reason I couldn't get it to play on Facebook (and yes, I had the security feature turned off). Anyway, wow. I thought it was really cool.  I have to say I am surprised about Derek Roddy being one of the candidates. The guy is a beast of a drummer, but he's been so attached to extreme drummer I didn't think image-wise it'd be a fit for them. Although it seems like most here didn't even recognize him so maybe he's just so underground they figured it wouldn't matter. I'm glad to see they gave him a shot.

I really think seeing the quality of the candidates that anyone is crazy to second guess their actual pick. I know some people have been expressing a meh sort of attitude toward Mangini, but if they went through that whole process and felt he was the best fit, I'm all in.

Also to those saying the video didn't show anything new...what?! There has been rampant speculation about the list of who actually auditioned for months. Anyone who speculated or "leaked" info was basically put up against the wall and grilled about how they should keep their mouth shut if they couldn't prove it. We now finally have solid proof and some of you are acting like, oh, we knew that all along, nothing new here?   ::)  I can understand being jaded by the wait but c'mon, I can't believe more people weren't smiling from ear to ear watching that video. I know I was.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #505 on: April 21, 2011, 11:27:24 AM »
one thing i like is that we will get to see everyone play with the band. therefore, everyone can see how it couldve been with them in the band. so maybe your first choice upon hearing the name would not be your first choice after seeing them all together

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #506 on: April 21, 2011, 11:29:36 AM »
That's how I felt Pantherize, Like a little kid again. I think what made it more magical was using TCoT at the end showing all the drummers.

That part is how I was hoping they'd reveal the drummer. All of them playing one song, eliminating as the song progresses, and the last hit reveals the drummer. How epic would that be, and after seeing this trailor TCoT would be perfect.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #507 on: April 21, 2011, 11:34:01 AM »
CAn someone please fill me in on the joke? I keep seeing, I can't believe Priester was there, etc... I don't know much about him but seeing him play on youtube he seems like an awesome prog metal drummer.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #508 on: April 21, 2011, 11:34:29 AM »
On one hand, I really want Wildoer, but then there might be death vox in Dream Theater and I don't know how I feel about that.

Offline jsem

« Reply #509 on: April 21, 2011, 11:36:06 AM »
We at least get REAL death metal vocs for A Nightmare to Remember

:neverusethis:

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: April 21, 2011, 11:36:47 AM »
ME too.  Minnemann or Lang.
This.

I really liked the video -even though I had to try dozen of times on Facebook and still couldn't, so YouTube did it for me-. I only recognized Mangini and Lang. As this is the band I love the most, this is a pretty exciting process that it is unfolding, and I'm glad that I, as a fan, can be a part of it. I couldn't experience any of this with bands like Pink Floyd, Queen, Maiden or even Metallica (Trujillo's deal was a boring one and I wasn't that much of a fan back then).

Having said that, I don't want to know who the drummer until I watch this special documentary. I want to play along, be a "part of it" as long as I can.

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #511 on: April 21, 2011, 11:39:21 AM »
this was posted on MP.com...

Straight quote from Derek Roddy about the Sickdrummer article:

"That said....the audition process was nothing like what is described up top. It was very professional, honest and those dudes and management/crew.... were very cool. There was no underhanded situations (like not wanting to be video taped....meant you couldn't audition)....that was never mentioned....and, I asked. Everyone involved was very up front with the way everything was going to run. No surprises."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #512 on: April 21, 2011, 11:41:45 AM »
How long until Mike Portnoy angrily vents about DT using the song he wrote about his dying father in a promo to promote his replacement? :P

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #513 on: April 21, 2011, 11:49:45 AM »

That's true. Didn't Peter Wildoer HIMSELF say that he was not chosen? If one of them is blatantly lying for the cover-up, I'd imagine that all information can come under that same level of scrutiny. I'm pretty okay with this. :)

It is not Peter. Peter has been on vacation skiing for the past week or so and to my knowledfge has not been in the States since the audiotion.

Priester is getting ready to tour with his band in South America.

The way I look at it is any of the seven would be great. Early on I had a feeling it was Priester, and I would not be dissapointed if it was. I still think it is Mangini tho.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 11:58:44 AM by njdtfan »
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #514 on: April 21, 2011, 11:52:10 AM »
my interpretation of bosk's post is...

what if none of the 7 guys are the new drummer and it's someone else completely???

Offline Pantherize

« Reply #515 on: April 21, 2011, 12:05:40 PM »
LOL, looks like WMG is playing whack a mole on Youtube. Original one I watched is down with a WMG copyright notice on it already. Another one up. I'm sure it won't be there long. So yeah, I'd say they really don't want it there at this point in time.

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #516 on: April 21, 2011, 12:06:40 PM »

what if none of the 7 guys are the new drummer and it's someone else completely???

Or...

What if all 7 are the new drummers?

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #517 on: April 21, 2011, 12:07:25 PM »

el negro Hernandez!!!! hahaha just kidding.. i do love his druming.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #518 on: April 21, 2011, 12:08:13 PM »
OH. MY. GOD. at some posts on the facebook page.

BUTTHURT AND PROG-SNOBS, BUTTHURT AND PROG-SNOBS EVERYWHERE.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #519 on: April 21, 2011, 12:08:49 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks Marco Minneman looks like Dirk Nowitzki?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #520 on: April 21, 2011, 12:09:27 PM »
OH. MY. GOD. at some posts on the facebook page.

BUTTHURT AND PROG-SNOBS, BUTTHURT AND PROG-SNOBS EVERYWHERE.

DT is dealing so much butthurt. some may never recover

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #521 on: April 21, 2011, 12:11:05 PM »
LOL, looks like WMG is playing whack a mole on Youtube. Original one I watched is down with a WMG copyright notice on it already. Another one up. I'm sure it won't be there long. So yeah, I'd say they really don't want it there at this point in time.

haha WMG just axed the second one as well LOL.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #522 on: April 21, 2011, 12:11:43 PM »
I'm not necessarily butthurt about it, but I am kind of disappointed they tried to pull a VH1 special out of this. They're exploiting it to the max.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #523 on: April 21, 2011, 12:13:25 PM »
It really isn't hard to just watch it on facebook. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #524 on: April 21, 2011, 12:15:48 PM »
I'm not necessarily butthurt about it, but I am kind of disappointed they tried to pull a VH1 special out of this. They're exploiting it to the max.
Yeah, how dare they have a bit of fun and publicise the band in the process? DAMN THEM!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.