An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer

Started by Weymolith, April 18, 2011, 08:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robwebster

Quote from: rumborak on April 21, 2011, 08:42:44 AM
I have no qualms with them stretching it out now, that's how they will maintain interest until the album comes out.
My only concern is that DT is joining in with other "illustrous" reality-TV bands like INXS etc.

rumborak

Joining in with bands who can market products to their fanbase cleverly is no bad thing.

If it was just a cheap, wasteful cash-in, I'd be a little cautious. As it is, it looks like a lavishly produced documentary feature, offering an in-depth view of a process that we've spent the last six months speculating about.

A band that takes care and expends effort in giving the fans a product that they'll be interested in receiving gets all the thumbs up from me. And, frankly, as ridiculous as the wait's been, I'd rather the news be delivered through the medium of a gorgeous, lengthy, in-depth examination of the most exciting process in the band's recent history, than through the medium of a press release tucked away on a Roadrunner Records website.

It creates publicity because it's good.

jdprsaga

Mebert78

Awesome video trailer.  I'm very excited and proud to be a DT fan.  Very classy and it's great to the the guys tackle this in such a creative way.  Thanks, DT!

Adami

Quote from: rumborak on April 21, 2011, 08:59:33 AM
Quote from: Adami on April 21, 2011, 08:49:29 AM
I have no qualms with them stretching it out now, that's how they will maintain interest until the album comes out.
My only concern is that DT is joining in with other "illustrous" reality-TV bands like INXS etc.

rumborak

It will be a one time thing until the new album is released, then it will be back to business as usual. I also doubt DT is a big enough band to have it ruin their image. They're making the best out of the situation. I'm sure there's a more obscure way they could handle it, but what would be the point?

I'll admit showing it on TV is a very odd idea that I don't know if I can get behind, but the typical drama imposed in this? I Don't see the problem. It's a trailer, it's only purpose is to get people excited. A simple unbiased documentary wouldn't do that for most people, they took the easy way out, but considering what they're doing, I don't think it matters which way they took out. As I said, it will all be over in a few months at most, this isn't a prolonged thing.

Doesn't have too be "more obscure", just actual documentary, not reality-TV. Band documentaries have a long history and they can be really excellent. The choice to frame this whole thing as an American Idol audition rather irritates me. Sure, I will get over it, but I scratch my head at this choice.

rumborak

[url="//www.fanticide.bandcamp.com"]www.fanticide.bandcamp.com[/url]

Nic35

Quote from: robwebster on April 21, 2011, 09:00:48 AM

rumborak

Joining in with bands who can market products to their fanbase cleverly is no bad thing.

If it was just a cheap, wasteful cash-in, I'd be a little cautious. As it is, it looks like a lavishly produced documentary feature, offering an in-depth view of a process that we've spent the last six months speculating about.

A band that takes care and expends effort in giving the fans a product that they'll be interested in receiving gets all the thumbs up from me. And, frankly, as ridiculous as the wait's been, I'd rather the news be delivered through the medium of a gorgeous, lengthy, in-depth examination of the most exciting process in the band's recent history, than through the medium of a press release tucked away on a Roadrunner Records website.

Words of wisdom. As usual.

Jamesman42

Quote from: Jamesman on April 21, 2011, 08:59:22 AM
I wonder how long that has been on that site. Looks like it has been there for a long while :lol

EDIT: Holy crap, look at the Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/OverTheEdgeProd

Quoted so it's not lost. Really mindblowing that this has been on the Internet all this time.
\o\ lol /o/

nickel

I think it's kind of funny that today's Facebook video doesn't tell us anything that we wouldn't have already known if only we had stumbled across the production company's blog back in January!!  I mean... between Over The Edge Productions' blog and twitter feed, we all should've already known all this.   :o

-nickel

Bill Carson

unspoken

I wonder how long that has been on that site. Looks like it has been there for a long while :lol

LOL @ Dream Theatre ....i dunno if that was misspelled on purpose, but that actually prevented those tweets from appearing whenever I searched for Dream Theater on tweeter

Jirpo

robwebster

This goes back as far as January. I am ashamed of us.

Raziel666

Actually, since January 28, 2011.

So this TV thing means that us outside the US won't be able to watch? :/

tjanuranus

In addition to a nation-wide release, the film is rumored to air on television as a 3-part mini-series (official details TBA).

So national release? In Theaters?

rumborak

Quote from: Adami on April 21, 2011, 09:01:43 AM
I'll admit showing it on TV is a very odd idea that I don't know if I can get behind, but the typical drama imposed in this? I Don't see the problem. It's a trailer, it's only purpose is to get people excited. A simple unbiased documentary wouldn't do that for most people, they took the easy way out, but considering what they're doing, I don't think it matters which way they took out. As I said, it will all be over in a few months at most, this isn't a prolonged thing.

If they're just having fun with this, that's cool. The fear is that with this AI-style stuff, a 3-episode mini-series etc., DT is maybe taking the "next step" in their career.

rumborak

jsem

Aired... on AMERICAN TV? That is some serious crap right there. Hopefully it'll appear on some streaming website or something.

PlaysLikeMyung

Jamesman42

Man, one thing you can't say about all this is that it's dull. This is fun stuff
\o\ lol /o/

chrisbDTM

robwebster

Quote from: rumborak on April 21, 2011, 09:06:08 AM

If they're just having fun with this, that's cool. The fear is that with this AI-style stuff, a 3-episode mini-series etc., DT is maybe taking the "next step" in their career.

rumborak

Why's that a "fear?"

rumborak

Because it's not really the band I fell in love with back in the day.

rumborak

7StringedBeast

All this media shit is kinda making me nervous to how the album is going to sound.  

robwebster

Quote from: tjanuranus on April 21, 2011, 09:05:51 AM
In addition to a nation-wide release, the film is rumored to air on television as a 3-part mini-series (official details TBA).

So national release? In Theaters?
Ooh christ, miniseries? I like that even more.

Probably won't be as easy for us to see in Europe, though...
Quote from: rumborak on April 21, 2011, 09:08:28 AM

rumborak

Fair cop. I don't know, I quite like the progression. I love that they're using the change as an excuse to grow, and excel, and develop. Marching boldly into the future - and, snowballing. Quite happy for them.

jdprsaga

rumborak

I agree with this.. change is fearful... altho we don't know if it's going to be for good or bad. I hope they will do great.

blackngold29

So I like the concept, it's very cool that they'll be showing so much detail about the auditions and really opening up about MP.

What I don't get was why four months ago they didn't say, "We're filming a documentary about the whole process, but it'll be better if you don't know who the drummer is until you see the whole thing." ? Still can't figure out why they're limiting it to fb either, it does a lot of good for their image, but only if you let people see it, it should be on their site, YouTube, everywhere.

Aramatheis

Quote from: Nic35 on April 21, 2011, 09:02:00 AM
Quote from: robwebster on April 21, 2011, 09:00:48 AM

rumborak

Words of wisdom. As usual.

robwebster

Quote from: blackngold29 on April 21, 2011, 09:10:17 AM
So I like the concept, it's very cool that they'll be showing so much detail about the auditions and really opening up about MP.

What I don't get was why four months ago they didn't say, "We're filming a documentary about the whole process, but it'll be better if you don't know who the drummer is until you see the whole thing." ? Still can't figure out why they're limiting it to fb either, it does a lot of good for their image, but only if you let people see it, it should be on their site, YouTube, everywhere.
I think the facebook thing is because, by controlling who sees it, they can prompt people to join their mailing list - allows them to establish a direct connection to the fans.

Ben_Jamin

That's pretty cool of them to make a documentary. It is a really monumental moment for the Band and its history. Of course people are never satisfied, but the music is what counts. I'm more sad that I can't see the video.

ariich

Quote from: rumborak on April 21, 2011, 09:06:08 AM

rumborak

I definitely just think they're having fun and doing this all very tongue-in-cheek. I personally enjoyed that teaser promo and found it entertaining!

Also, as usual I agree with everything Mr Rob Webster is saying in this thread. Clever chap, that one!

EDIT: To clarify, I think the reality TV side of it is a little tongue in cheek. The straight documentary stuff seems genuinely good.

Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on May 10, 2023, 05:59:19 PMAriich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
Quote from: TAC on December 21, 2023, 06:05:15 AMI be am boner inducing.

XJDenton

On an unreleated note, the number of people reading this thread at the moment is a bit ridiculous.
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."
― Terry Pratchett

atmyne

Warning - while you were reading 7 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.
o___0

Minnemann should have been dubbed the new drummer simply for that cookie monster shirt

And well done to RR/DT/film company for capitalizing on the drummer situation

bosk1

rumborak

Fair enough.  But here's the thing.  They're a band that was known for going to the extra mile for the fans, whether it be the rotating set lists, the Ytsejam releases, etc.  As with those other things, some fans may like how they're handling this, and some may hate it.  But I think they should still get props by trying to continue in that tradition of going the extra mile and trying to provide the fans with something way above and beyond what most bands would give their fans in this situation.  (and I'm not saying you aren't giving them well-deserved props--I'm just speaking in general)  Even if the fanbase decided collectively that this whole thing is a flop and the videos aren't something we're interested in, I find it cool that even without Mike, who was the driving force behind a lot of this stuff, the band are still trying to think outside the box and give us some extras.