Author Topic: Clairvoyantcat's roulette v. It wll be over soon  (Read 46812 times)

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Re: Dtismajesty's roulette v. songs like "Friday" only
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2011, 04:18:25 PM »
Sent. It's a pretty common song which you may have heard before, so just message me back if you've heard and I'll find another. :P

Also, since you liked the song I suggest you listen to all of the "Si On Avait Besoin D'Une Cinquieme Saison" album by Harmonium. Dixie is actually the weakest song off that album IMO, and that album I think is definitely your type. :)

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2011, 02:06:13 AM »
Hope you like this one.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2011, 05:02:14 AM »
Friendly reminder to check my last fm for the artist before you send it. 

Generally I'd like no artist with more than 10 plays to be sent, but I'll make an exception for this round as not to slow things down..

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2011, 07:25:35 PM »
Stop listening to so many artists then

:neverusethis:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2011, 08:14:40 PM »
Well it can't be mine. :lol  I've never heard anybody except ariich talk about sed artist.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2011, 02:18:38 AM »
Ooh you've intrigued me now Joe!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2011, 05:59:15 AM »

Old Brit from the 70's who was once punk like but went more piano and adult contemporary.  You and I have a convrsation about him.  One other clue,  Anthrax covered on of his tunes.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2011, 06:00:28 PM »

Old Brit from the 70's who was once punk like but went more piano and adult contemporary.  You and I have a convrsation about him.  One other clue,  Anthrax covered on of his tunes.
Hmm, I think I know who you're talking about, but 1) I don't recall ever talking about him, and 2) I've not heard much of his stuff. You might be thinking of someone else! :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2011, 07:53:40 PM »

Hmm, I think I know who you're talking about, but 1) I don't recall ever talking about him, and 2) I've not heard much of his stuff. You might be thinking of someone else! :lol

Mabye, but I do remember the conversation.  Dammmit old age!! Or mabye not?! :lol

Offline jsem

« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2011, 03:13:38 PM »
So how are we getting along here...

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2011, 03:15:06 PM »
So how are we getting along here...
WHAT THE FUCK CAN'T WE HAVE SOME DAMN FUCKING PATIENCE AROUND HERE. FUCK.

Offline jsem

« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2011, 03:23:47 PM »
 :rollin

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2011, 09:13:46 PM »
Fuck this whole roulette thing.  I want to give you all sevens for this round.  Seriously, the quality of submissions I received here was absolutely superlative. 

I'm enjoying every second of all of your songs, and hating the shit out of trying to score them against each other. 

Jsem - Gorecki Symphony No. 3 "Sorrowful Songs" - Lento e Largo – 7 points
I have to applaud you for two things… A.  taking a risk and sending something different and B.  Sending such a lovely song.  Seeing the strings performed live and hearing them put off such a deep and ambient sound was amazing.  I also say that the woman singing this has a lovely voice, which added another depth to the song.  The setting was perfect, the atmosphere was perfect, and the 9 minutes went by very quickly! 

Gorille - Music for Money - La Marche – 6 points
Wow.  This was such an awesome submission.  The song fits perfectly into the theme of sadness, but with a definite eeriness and creepiness included.  The piano melodies are awesome and the general electronic/glitch stuff added to the song perfectly.  Then, man, the second part!  It was amazing, that’s about all I can say. 

Letters – Hurt – Abuse of SID – 6 points
This song was probably the angriest submission I received.  Anyway, I really loved it!  For a fairly standard Alt-rockish song it was very well crafted, and there were subtleties to be enjoyed.  Particularly the high background vocals mixed into the middle were perfect and suited the song quite well.  The singer does a great job of getting the emotion across, and altogether this was really well done. 

Sonata - Bjork – Harm of Will – 5 points
Lovely.  This song is really heavenly.  The instrumentation and choirs were lovely.  Her voice is lovely as always.  Particularly, the celesta, I think it is, adds a beautiful touch with its music box-like melodies.  I think my favorite part is where she sings “atop of the family tree” and the choir follows.  The only gripe I could possibly have is the little delay breath thing that is going in through the first minute as it kind of distracts and sounds out of place.  Not a big deal, and this is still one of the most lovely submissions I received this round. 

Sneakyblueberry - Sawdust & Diamonds - Joanna Newsom – 5 points
I must say that I’m already a fan of Joanna’s work.  However, fortunately you sent a song from Ys, so I’ve only heard the album once through and don’t know the song specifically.  Anyway, I can now recognize it as one of her best.  It features her classic, dreaming, magically flowing, harp-ish melodies combined with her rough and emotive voice.

King – Joe Jackson – Be my Number Two – 4 points
I have to commend you for making me really like something I’m not accustomed to liking.  An oldie ballad, this song was one of the very best of the style I’ve ever heard.  I like the lyrics, which are more often than not the weakness of the vintage love song, and the voice/melodies are great!

MG – Starsailor -   Way to Fall – 4 points
This guy has a fantastic voice.  The song is very strong itself, though it sees vast improvement going into the more intense and emotional section.  So yeah, this song was a perfect submission for the theme and was very, very good. 

Soundscape - Linda Ronstadt - Goodbye My Friend –This was a very nice ballad.  The song is actually emulating about as much happiness as sadness, but her voice is lovely nonetheless.  The arrangement and lyrics were all a bit typical, but it was a very pleasant listen.  – 3 points

Voxyn - Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - I See A Darkness – Very nice.  It was very slow paced and mellow.  The voice reminded me of Jeff Buckley, which anyone would know is a wonderful thing to me, and the song held up quite nicely along side it! – 3 points

Dethklok - In This Moment - A Star Crossed Wasteland – 2 points
This was good.  The vocalist was obviously talented.  Unfortunately the song fell victim to the metal ballad cliché more than once, but it was still a very good song with strong and memorable melodies, and the girl singing was very talented.

Robert Wyatt - Sea Song  - 1 point
Sorry, I wasn’t really feeling this one quite as much.  It doesn’t really seem to have much to do with sadness at all.  Not to say I disliked it, the guy has a good voice, but the whole strange synth thing definitely isn’t my type.  The mellotron was cool, though. 

Next round and scores will be coming soon, I just needed to get this out because you guys are already hassling me just one day after I actually got them all in!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2011, 09:15:25 PM »
Yeah I didn't think I'd do too well with that one. :P That whole album is a HUGE acquired taste.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2011, 01:15:42 AM »
I'M QUITTING.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2011, 05:07:47 AM »
Ys is Joanna's best album, hands down.  It was between this and Only Skin, which has the most beautiful piece of music I've ever heard at the 6th minute.  I couldn't find her name on your Last FM.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2011, 05:13:23 AM »
I'M QUITTING.

YOU'RE STAYING

Ys is Joanna's best album, hands down.  It was between this and Only Skin, which has the most beautiful piece of music I've ever heard at the 6th minute.  I couldn't find her name on your Last FM.
Thought I posted it, but last.fm/user/dtismajesty

NEW ROUND

Gorille - 17
Soundscape - 17
Sonatafanica - 17
Kingshmengland - 14
Jsem - 14
SB - 8
TheVoxyn - 12
MG - 12
Letters - 10
Lielow - 8
Dethklok - 5

Round 4 - Quirkish

Send me something quirky/different/unexpected.  However, make sure it's still a good song.  That's probably the most important part, still. 

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2011, 05:16:51 AM »
Thought I posted it, but last.fm/user/dtismajesty

You did post it.  Sorry I didn't see the name on the list.  My bad.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2011, 06:04:41 AM »
Damn Ryan, you really need to step it up, you stupid loser.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2011, 07:55:26 AM »
I'm glad you liked it!  Such great melody and I love Joe Jackson's lyrics.  You can feel him fawning for this girl it's so achingly beautiful.  I'm driving a lot today so I'll be working on my quirky song to pick!

Offline jsem

« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2011, 08:47:54 AM »
I knew you would like it.  :)

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2011, 10:20:14 AM »
Damnit Seth, you know don't listen to much quirky music...
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2011, 10:33:39 AM »
"quirky" is specific. "Different" or "Unexpected" (or let's say odd and unpredictable) makes this round a lot more open. I am coming up with a few songs/artists who I would definitely describe as "quirky" some you probably already know. But if the option of it not being "quirky" but just odd or unexpected, that opens it up a bit.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2011, 01:40:35 PM »
Damnit Seth, you know don't listen to much quirky music...

Hence why I chose this theme.

"quirky" is specific. "Different" or "Unexpected" (or let's say odd and unpredictable) makes this round a lot more open. I am coming up with a few songs/artists who I would definitely describe as "quirky" some you probably already know. But if the option of it not being "quirky" but just odd or unexpected, that opens it up a bit.

Different and unexpected can work quite well too, in fact they will probably work better.  So I'll leave it at them.  So everyone.. send something different or unexpected. 

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2011, 01:41:20 PM »
SETH GET ON FACEBOOK
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2011, 03:18:06 PM »
That is a round for me.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2011, 03:19:19 PM »

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2011, 03:19:56 PM »
I don't think my one is Seth's style of music, but it's the first thing that sprang to mind when I read 'quirky.'

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2011, 03:32:58 PM »
Sent.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
I think I sent a killer song.  I'm sure it's a killer song.  I can't wait to hear your response!!

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2011, 03:48:44 PM »
lolmycheesymusictastes.
anyway will send something hopefully not too clique this time

Offline jsem

« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2011, 10:27:19 PM »
sent

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2011, 04:02:12 PM »
I'm semi-confident of mine. Hopefully the super-awesome bass and multiple awesome moments pull through for me. :metal

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2011, 07:17:04 AM »
Just waitin' on a sonatafanica. 

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2011, 09:22:51 AM »
What a jerk