Author Topic: After He's (MP) Gone, Adrenaline Mob Carries Onnnnnnnnnn!  (Read 396232 times)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Re: Adrenaline Mob (Coverta Out Now)
« Reply #2170 on: April 10, 2013, 06:58:09 PM »
Anyway, in spite of all that, All on the Line was a pretty kickass track.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2171 on: April 10, 2013, 07:05:48 PM »

I liked Angel Sky, and a few others. That "Constant Motion" metaphor best describes it all.

I think them not having a permanent bassist that knew things more could've helped.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2172 on: April 10, 2013, 07:20:15 PM »

This song was great to hear/see live.  Despite Orlando being 'generic', Russell and Mike were great to watch.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2173 on: April 21, 2013, 11:45:10 AM »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2174 on: April 21, 2013, 04:09:52 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2175 on: April 21, 2013, 04:12:49 PM »
 :lol Who uses the word 'slammin'' anymore?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2176 on: April 21, 2013, 04:28:05 PM »
Is Orlando in anything else but AMob? Could kinda explain why he would give this roadkill CPR.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2177 on: April 21, 2013, 07:55:49 PM »
:lol Who uses the word 'slammin'' anymore?

Well, you just did.
 :mehlin

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2178 on: May 15, 2013, 12:17:40 PM »
Doesn't Portnoy realize the fact that nobody's coming to the shows is because the music is terrible?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2179 on: May 15, 2013, 12:50:29 PM »
I think he realizes that many of his fans think it’s terrible. There was a thread at MP.com where posters were ranking MP projects awhile back, and AMOB barely showed up on anyone’s list. And when it did, it was almost always at the bottom.

So MP must realize that his typical fanbase don’t really like AMOB. What he doesn’t realize (or is maybe just beginning to realize) is that other rock/metal fans (Who go to Godsmack and Halestorm shows) don’t really dig AMOB much either.

I don’t really blame them. When I have to sit through an opening band I don’t know or care about, they’d better offer something that makes me remember them. AMOB aren’t very unique sounding to my ears, and I suppose AMOB really don’t have what it takes stick out in the hazy memories of thousands of drunken Godsmack fans :P

I’d like to hear AMOB give it one last try, and go into the studio determined to make something with a little bit more personality. I still think the band sounds decent on paper and could be good, so hopefully they won’t be discouraged and will take their failures as opportunities to improve on their formula.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2180 on: June 04, 2013, 12:22:05 PM »
A Message From Mike Portnoy:

It saddens me to announce that the 4 upcoming shows in Latin America this month supporting Halestorm will be my last with Adrenaline Mob.

Unfortunately, I have scheduling conflicts that prevent me from being able to fully commit to the band's future activities at the moment.

As I cannot be in two places at the same time, I don't want to hold them back and have to wait for my schedule to re-open up to resume activity.

I'm very proud of what we started together and the music we made over the past two years and I wish the guys all the best in the future.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Adrenaline Mob (MP Departing)
« Reply #2181 on: June 04, 2013, 12:24:29 PM »
Well, there goes the only reason I still ever occassionally thought about the Mob.

Glad he was able to let the band go. It was becoming an obvious issue and I'm glad he's not going to let it be his Achilles Heel.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2182 on: June 04, 2013, 12:31:03 PM »
Is AMOB a thing that would continue on w/out Portnoy? (completely serious non trolling)

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2183 on: June 04, 2013, 12:31:30 PM »
Wise move, jumping off of that sinking ship.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2184 on: June 04, 2013, 12:32:33 PM »
As it started without Portnoy I assume it will at least continue for another album. Though after getting in a big name and failing to make too much of an impact this might act as a final demoralizing blow to Allen and Orlando. Guess time will tell.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2185 on: June 04, 2013, 12:33:21 PM »

Wise, yes, but I'm kinda sad at the lack of conviction. MP put it out that he seemed to believe really heavily in this and the bands ability to be successful, and after a short run takes a quick out.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2186 on: June 04, 2013, 12:33:37 PM »
Didnt MP join the band when all or most of the songs were already written? I can't remember for sure. Either way, he's got tons of exciting projects lined up and I'd love to hear those.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2187 on: June 04, 2013, 12:35:13 PM »

Wise, yes, but I'm kinda sad at the lack of conviction. MP put it out that he seemed to believe really heavily in this and the bands ability to be successful, and after a short run takes a quick out.

I disagree. There was no upside to this band, and the chances of them ever catching on and gaining any popularity was slim to none.  There is no point in sticking to your convictions on a sinking ship, when he can devote his time to other worthwhile projects. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2188 on: June 04, 2013, 12:39:27 PM »

I disagree. There was no upside to this band, and the chances of them ever catching on and gaining any popularity was slim to none.  There is no point in sticking to your convictions on a sinking ship, when he can devote his time to other worthwhile projects. 

Upside is sticking to your guns and trying to make something work. Some of MPs passion for this might have been misdirected, but I got the impression from day 1 he really did care about this band. And although late joining you have articles like this: https://www.noisecreep.com/2011/08/04/mike-portnoys-adrenaline-mob-announce-ep-and-us-tour that highlight his involvement and although they got it wrong and took things too far, there are other articles/interviews that always showed him as a member as opposed as a side project waiting to be bailed on.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #2189 on: June 04, 2013, 12:40:38 PM »
Just a short while ago, he was talking about how Adrenalin Mob was his 'main' project, being a new band, a new brand, and not just a one off album side project sort of deal. Well, so much for that commitment. MP is a fantastic drummer, but this kind of a fickle attitude just keeps reinforcing how glad I am that he's out of DT.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2190 on: June 04, 2013, 12:41:25 PM »
Just a short while ago, he was talking about how Adrenalin Mob was his 'main' project, being a new band, a new brand, and not just a one off album side project sort of deal. Well, so much for that commitment.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at but worded much better.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2191 on: June 04, 2013, 12:54:07 PM »
Well of course he did, he's a bandquitter. He quits bands now. That's what he does. I wonder what kind of wacky legislation he'll put together this time.

I'm being churlish - I actually think this is a good call. Keep moving. I think he was very pre-emptive with all his "This is a full time gig!" schtick, but he's a big time drummer coming out of a band with a 20-year vintage. Long time since he's started a band, there's no reason the first thing he does afterwards should be expected to stick. And yet, plenty of good reasons to treat the first one like it might.

Big mouth has dug him another hole, but aside that - great!

Offline JPX

« Reply #2192 on: June 04, 2013, 12:54:35 PM »

Seriously. Maybe he was finally able to admit to himself that AB was terrible.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2193 on: June 04, 2013, 12:57:13 PM »
Yeah, as I mentioned on the DT side, I think he's just realizing that Adrenaline Mob isn't something many fans are interested in, and therefore isn't a very viable longterm project for him.  I mean, it's great to stick to your guns and make the music you like, whether it ever becomes popular or not.  But if in the end, not very many people actually like it, it's not a very good long-term situation to be tied to.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ThatcrazyKISSfan

« Reply #2194 on: June 04, 2013, 12:57:31 PM »
Just a short while ago, he was talking about how Adrenalin Mob was his 'main' project, being a new band, a new brand, and not just a one off album side project sort of deal.

I think that was his biggest mistake. It should have just been "we'll see..." It's a business and he has kids, his priority should be to them first. Not his band-mates or fans. And from the last tour it looks like there was just NO MONEY in AMob.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2195 on: June 04, 2013, 12:59:49 PM »
Well of course he did, he's a bandquitter. He quits bands now. That's what he does. I wonder what kind of wacky legislation he'll put together this time.

I'm being churlish - I actually think this is a good call. Keep moving. I think he was very pre-emptive with all his "This is a full time gig!" schtick, but he's a big time drummer coming out of a band with a 20-year vintage. Long time since he's started a band, there's no reason the first thing he does afterwards should be expected to stick. And yet, plenty of good reasons to treat the first one like it might.

robwebstress* is with robwebster here.

*what? ariich said it, I'll embrace it :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2196 on: June 04, 2013, 01:02:32 PM »
You have to remember that being a musician is his full-time job, and staying in a project full-time that probably made him very little money would be a terrible business decision.  Especially since Portnoy is not an artist in the sense of someone like Steven Wilson or Devin Townsend (guys who can control entire projects through songwriting, direction, creative control, etc.). 

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #2197 on: June 04, 2013, 01:21:58 PM »
Im not looking down on mike too much for this, as it was a smart decision on his part.  Amob wasn't really going anywhere.  honestly at this point Russell allen should just let Amob die and go make a new symphony x album for god's sake.  even if they replace mike, its not going to fix the music, and his talents are far better used with symphony x.  plus itd save them from releasing a new album every 5 years  :P

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2198 on: June 04, 2013, 01:23:31 PM »
Don't think MP could have been more commited. Remember, he was all about AMOB once leaving DT and A7X despite his fans really making it clear they wanted something else.

Commiting beyond what he had already would make AMOB an Achilles Heel more than anything else.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #2199 on: June 04, 2013, 01:24:45 PM »

*what? ariich said it, I'll embrace it :lol

Rich didn't think of that!  :angry:

At least not the name  :D
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2200 on: June 04, 2013, 01:55:10 PM »

*what? Frank Zappa said it, I'll embrace it :lol

Rich didn't think of that!  :angry:

At least not the name  :D
fixed :D

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #2201 on: June 04, 2013, 02:05:31 PM »
 :lol  :tup

(actually, for these kind of situations, this needs to be on a regular emoticon:)
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2202 on: June 04, 2013, 02:23:56 PM »
I would love to say I'm shocked, but honestly, the question really was who would abandon ship first, Allen or Portnoy. That last tour was just, by all rights, such a disaster that Amob didn't have a future.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2203 on: June 04, 2013, 03:41:53 PM »
Smart move.

Funny though how seemingly every member of this band quits because of scheduling conflicts :lol
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2204 on: June 04, 2013, 04:24:25 PM »
Smart move.

Funny though how seemingly every member of this band quits because of scheduling conflicts :lol

Yeah, well, I think that's the polite way of phrasing it. Obviously, if the people who left really believed in the band, they would make time for it regardless of what else they had going on. I mean, look at TA. Although TA is a super group, the fact that it's a surefire success whenever it happens makes it worthwhile, so that every member doesn't quit when it's time to record an album with their main band.

I mean, one of the original AMOB members left the band to go back to Fozzy. I think that about says it all really.