Author Topic: Blackfield  (Read 131054 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Blackfield
« Reply #700 on: January 05, 2012, 11:58:17 AM »
Anything could happen.
Obviously PT is the main reason why SW got famous/well known in the first place, and made it possible to fund his solo career and do something this spectacular, but in PT he will always have restrictions when writing songs, something he will never have with his solo-stuff.
I'm not saying that PT will break up, but I feel like it's more possible that it would happen now, then lets say 2-3 years ago.

Offline jag66

« Reply #701 on: January 05, 2012, 12:56:19 PM »

I have a feeling PT is next to go. 

I don't see it.  Considering PT is Wilson's brainchild (plus him being the main songwriter and it being his creative vision), he isn't gonna leave the band, and I doubt the others would go on without him.  They might go on hiatus, but even that would surprise me.  I think he is just wrapped up in his multiple other projects right now, but once he gets past that, I suspect he will be all ready to get PT going on another album.

Here's hoping. Not to mention I presume PT is his most profitable project (more members, but PT will pull a much larger gig audience)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #702 on: January 05, 2012, 01:34:07 PM »
Anything could happen.
Obviously PT is the main reason why SW got famous/well known in the first place, and made it possible to fund his solo career and do something this spectacular, but in PT he will always have restrictions when writing songs, something he will never have with his solo-stuff.
I'm not saying that PT will break up, but I feel like it's more possible that it would happen now, then lets say 2-3 years ago.

Yeah, I feel like it is VERY possible that PT will break up. I really hope not, but I don't remember him sounding too enthusiastic about PT in the last few interviews where it came up. And plus, it's not like this would be the first time a successful musician left a band they helped bring to the top in favor of a solo career. It's clear he really likes doing this solo material. I guess we'll find out in the next year or so, see what happens after he wraps up the Storm Corrosion project/next leg.

I feel that this solo project gives SW more room to let the creative juices flowing, even though he is the main songwriter of PT he has stated numerous times it is still a collaboration and not everyone in PT wants to go the same direction he does (he mentioned one of them doesn't like the jazzier moments). I guess this solo project gives him complete freedom to write whatever he wants, which is awesome.... but I hope he still keeps PT active because they are a completely different flavor and probably my favorite band ever.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #703 on: January 05, 2012, 01:50:29 PM »
Which to me makes no sense since he is the driving force in that band.  It's not like GFD was that far off from a PT album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #704 on: January 05, 2012, 11:57:17 PM »
Eh, I think it's pretty far off... but anyway, Ian texted this news to me the other day when I was on the road and my initial reaction was basically disappointment but not total hopelessness. I think SW's distance from Welcome to my DNA was sort of a hole in the album, but I still really like the album so I wouldn't expect the next one to be bad.

Unless Alex is right  :|
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #705 on: January 06, 2012, 12:39:03 AM »
GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL GO TO HELL
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #706 on: January 06, 2012, 12:43:01 AM »
WENT TO HELL WENT TO HELL
WENT TO HELL WENT TO HELL

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #707 on: January 10, 2012, 11:24:19 PM »
From Blackfield's facebook page:

In the studio working on the new Blackfield album...

Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Index

• I Can Float Here Forever
« Reply #708 on: January 11, 2012, 12:43:36 AM »

:hefdaddy

Great news! Even though Wilson will not be contributing as a full time member, my hopes for this still remain very high! Aviv is a great songwriter IMHO

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #709 on: January 11, 2012, 12:57:11 AM »
Eh, I think it's pretty far off... but anyway, Ian texted this news to me the other day when I was on the road and my initial reaction was basically disappointment but not total hopelessness. I think SW's distance from Welcome to my DNA was sort of a hole in the album, but I still really like the album so I wouldn't expect the next one to be bad.

Unless Alex is right  :|

WHAT HAVE I DONE

TREAT ME TONIGHT LIKE A MOOOOVIIEE STARRR
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #710 on: January 11, 2012, 01:37:40 AM »

:hefdaddy

Great news! Even though Wilson will not be contributing as a full time member, my hopes for this still remain very high! Aviv is a great songwriter IMHO

Aviv is a fantastic songwriter indeed.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #711 on: January 11, 2012, 07:26:48 AM »
Eh, I think it's pretty far off... but anyway, Ian texted this news to me the other day when I was on the road and my initial reaction was basically disappointment but not total hopelessness. I think SW's distance from Welcome to my DNA was sort of a hole in the album

He didn't contribute much on the first two either...

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #712 on: January 11, 2012, 08:42:23 AM »
^ he only wrote or co-wrote the vast majority of music and lyrics on Blackfield and has full writing credits for exactly half the songs on BFII (but sang lead vocals on more than those tracks, obviously). didn't contribute much at all!

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #713 on: January 11, 2012, 10:31:11 AM »
I'll probably go to hell ( ;D) for saying I liked a lot of Geffens songs better.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #714 on: January 11, 2012, 10:35:37 AM »
I'll probably go to hell ( ;D) for saying I liked a lot of Geffens songs better.

Nah, I agree completely.
While most people here on the forum considers Steven Wilson 100% of Blackfield, to me it's quite the opposite, and I feel like Aviv is the true core of the band.
While Wilson has helped with some of the lyrics, most songs are Aviv's songs from the beginning, so yeah.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #715 on: April 03, 2012, 06:29:40 PM »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #716 on: April 04, 2012, 01:42:00 AM »
That picture is way old, but awesome.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #717 on: April 04, 2012, 03:19:43 AM »
Those bubbles are darker than Steven
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #718 on: April 04, 2012, 12:25:16 PM »
^ he only wrote or co-wrote the vast majority of music and lyrics on Blackfield and has full writing credits for exactly half the songs on BFII (but sang lead vocals on more than those tracks, obviously). didn't contribute much at all!

er... no. He wrote 3/10 songs on BFII and 2/10 on BFI. Sure, he wrote more lyrics, but that's hardly the major complaint about DNA.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #719 on: April 07, 2012, 10:41:27 AM »

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #720 on: July 08, 2012, 02:59:30 PM »
Bump, because it needs one.

I only have Blackfield II, and it's fucking amazing. I think my favorite is Once.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #721 on: July 08, 2012, 03:26:50 PM »
I only have Blackfield II, and it's fucking amazing. I think my favorite is Once.

What a phenomenal song.  Very possibly my favorite Blackfield track.  :tup

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #722 on: July 08, 2012, 04:14:28 PM »
So many good songs. I don't think I could pick a favorite, but some of the top picks would be Hello, Summer, Lullaby, Scars and This Killer.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #723 on: July 08, 2012, 06:23:45 PM »
The bubble bath pic is more than a bit disturbing IMO.

Offline Index

« Reply #724 on: July 09, 2012, 08:42:36 AM »
So any news on this Blackfield III? Been waiting for some sort of announcement from the FB page but haven't seen anything posted there for months.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #725 on: July 09, 2012, 10:24:07 AM »
Blackfield IV actually. Steven has said recently that he's working on the production as well as adding his vocals to a few songs.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #726 on: July 09, 2012, 10:40:48 AM »
They were onto mixing a few weeks ago

Offline Index

« Reply #727 on: July 09, 2012, 12:06:28 PM »
Blackfield IV actually.
Right. I knew that! :angel: ;D

Mixing, eh? Maybe fall release then? Good season for some Blackfield music.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #728 on: July 21, 2012, 12:21:20 PM »
1000 People :heart

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #729 on: July 21, 2012, 12:23:50 PM »
They were onto mixing a few weeks ago

You got a nice combination in that profile pic there. And now that I think about it, in some ways, thematically they evoke something really unique, about the bleakness of Blackfield contrasted with DT's "we'll just keep on going."
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Ħ

« Reply #730 on: November 10, 2012, 11:41:34 PM »
My Gift Of Silence :heart

"I'll read your lips, watch your scarf play at your hips, and I know it's true"

That line gets me every time.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #731 on: November 14, 2012, 09:20:12 PM »
Blackfield IV actually.

Any news on this? I'm so out of the loop...

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #732 on: November 14, 2012, 09:35:17 PM »
Blackfield IV actually.

Any news on this? I'm so out of the loop...
The last update on their Facebook is from October 3 and it says "News on new music soon....!". It was supposed to be released in the spring but there hasn't been much news on it. I hope its going to be out soon because I really want to hear the song that Vincent Cavanagh is singing on.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #733 on: November 15, 2012, 01:59:00 AM »
I think it will be released first half of 2013 but I'm not really basing that on anything, just my guess.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #734 on: November 15, 2012, 07:16:49 PM »
Tweet from Aviv today:
Tel Aviv was missled tonight and sirens all over the place but I'm fine.. thanks to all my fans.. still in the studio working on BF4

:|