Author Topic: Took some time off...  (Read 7167 times)

Offline ozman

Took some time off...
« on: December 22, 2010, 01:44:25 PM »
Sooo i have been a big fan of Dream Theater for about five years now.  Ever since SC i havnt really been "into" them as much.  I didnt really like Black Clouds, thier music seems to be going into more of a radio friendly dimension.  I started listening to them because they wernt mainstream.  Anyway after taking about six-seven months off from listening to them i recently played the Budokan DVD and was amazed by what level these guys play music.  I cant think of a another band with so much talent.  Personally i just dont think Dream Theater will capture Images and Words, Awake and Train of Tought ever again.  The last two albums seem to be more comedy and lacked production quality.

Mike Mangini for Dream Theater.  I think that he would at least bring the band back to more of a progressive state and he would defiantly be entertaining.  James needs to start leading this band like a true frontman should.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: Took some time off...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 01:47:07 PM »
Is the singer supposed to be the "frontman" of the band? Just because that is the case in a lot of bands, that doesn't it should happen here.

I'd personally like to see JP as the "frontman." He is level-headed and knowledgeable about the band. I could see JR and JLB being more of the promotion type, staying in contact with the fans a bit more.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 01:58:38 PM »
I think the reigns are now officially off of JLB.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 02:00:13 PM »
I don't ge it... You did'nt liked BCSL because it was radio friendly and in the same time kind of say you think ToT is one of their best works (the most straight metal album in their catalog) and want the singer to be the frontman as all singers does in average mainstream bands???

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 02:10:39 PM »
  I cant think of a another band with so much talent. 

Moon Safari. Go. Listen. Learn.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline jsem

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 02:14:24 PM »
"Cuz they arent mainstream"

What kind of hipster talk is that? Either you like a band or not, doesn't matter if it's mainstream does it - it's what it sounds like.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 02:15:17 PM »
Their music hasn't been getting anymore "radio friendly". ???

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 02:20:57 PM »
Sooo i have been a big fan of Dream Theater for about five years now.  Ever since SC i havnt really been "into" them as much.  I didnt really like Black Clouds, thier music seems to be going into more of a radio friendly dimension.  I started listening to them because they wernt mainstream.  Anyway after taking about six-seven months off from listening to them i recently played the Budokan DVD and was amazed by what level these guys play music.  I cant think of a another band with so much talent.  Personally i just dont think Dream Theater will capture Images and Words, Awake and Train of Tought ever again.  The last two albums seem to be more comedy and lacked production quality.

Mike Mangini for Dream Theater.  I think that he would at least bring the band back to more of a progressive state and he would defiantly be entertaining.  James needs to start leading this band like a true frontman should.

This is a strange post.  The only thing I can agree with you is that the last two albums have been below par compared to their past works, but Black Clouds I did really enjoy.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 02:25:27 PM »
Come on now, is anyone here willing to go as far as saying BCSL or even SC is up to par with SFAM or 6DoiT or ToT? I mean I know there's a lot of love for Dream Theater, and I listened to all these albums, but they sort of just came and went, while SFAM and IW are still in constant rotation.

At least for me. I just think people are hyping themselves up because it's been such a long time since something truly mind blowing came out that they've forgotten what "good" DT actually sounds like.

Here's to the next album.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 02:28:19 PM »
I would agree the latest two weren't as good as IW or even Tot, but they certainly haven't gone mainstream. And I don't think JLB will ever be what MP was to the band, they each have their roles and while that'll change now, I don't think single member will be in the forefront as much as MP was.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 02:32:48 PM »
Come on now, is anyone here willing to go as far as saying BCSL or even SC is up to par with SFAM or 6DoiT or ToT? I mean I know there's a lot of love for Dream Theater, and I listened to all these albums, but they sort of just came and went, while SFAM and IW are still in constant rotation.

At least for me. I just think people are hyping themselves up because it's been such a long time since something truly mind blowing came out that they've forgotten what "good" DT actually sounds like.

For me BCSL and 8VM both got more listens in the first week, than TOT has received since I owned it. You may be right though I'm still waiting for the next I&W or Awake as much as I like 6DoiT, I&W and Awake are the pinnacle of DT for me
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 02:40:24 PM »

For me BCSL and 8VM both got more listens in the first week, than TOT has received since I owned it. You may be right though I'm still waiting for the next I&W or Awake as much as I like 6DoiT, I&W and Awake are the pinnacle of DT for me

You're right about Octavarium. And I'm not saying BCSL or SC are bad music, it's just that they sounded like the guys just went into the studio and "did some more DT stuff". It wasn't a step forward like FII was after ACOS or that SFAM was after FII. It was just kind of the same "MP Dream Theater" that started with the heavy side of Octavarium. I think the ToT-style metal influence was actually kind of lost, as I really liked the ToT metal, and I'm not feeling that dark, awesome, rebelious vibe in BCSL, all I'm hearing is MAH BROTHA and DID THEY EVAR SEE THE RED LIEGHT, over some fast and hard to play riffs that just kind of act as a platform for the vox and the brotharness.

Then they go into an Octavarium-style instrmental part where Jordan does one of his pentatonic Rudess Lead solos, JP has a "weird" solo followed by a bluesy fast solo. Then MP goes HURRR a bit more, and that's it. New album.

I'm really curious what they're going to do in the next one, because I really feel most of the stuff I didn't like came from MP.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 02:41:13 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 02:42:53 PM »
 :lol

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 02:44:27 PM »
Yeah, like the rest of us didn't start listening to it for that very reason...

Come on.

Odds are if you like DT you're not going to like Justin Bieber or Taylor Swift, and you're listening to DT because it's a middle finger to popular music, and our brains loved it because it was so quirky and awesome and didn't give a crap about conventions. Call it whatever you like, but I'm pretty sure most of us started listening to DT because they wernt mainstream.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 02:54:30 PM »

I am. I'm very impressed. Thanks for making me aware of them.  :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 03:00:18 PM »
I started listening to DT because I heard Images and Words and it was fucking amazing!!  Since that day I have never ever thought. "Shit, this is a good band, but I like them even more because they aren't mainstream."

DT is amazing music that changed my life for the better, end of story.

Offline SixDegrees

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 03:08:29 PM »
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:18:04 AM by SixDegrees »

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 03:10:38 PM »
I started listening to DT because I heard Images and Words and it was fucking amazing!!  Since that day I have never ever thought. "Shit, this is a good band, but I like them even more because they aren't mainstream."

DT is amazing music that changed my life for the better, end of story.

This. Who cares how popular they are? Elton John is one of my favorite artists, and he is also one of the highest selling artists of all time. It doesn't effect my enjoyment of his music.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 03:26:21 PM »

Come on.

Odds are if you like DT you're not going to like Justin Bieber or Taylor Swift, and you're listening to DT because it's a middle finger to popular music, and our brains loved it because it was so quirky and awesome and didn't give a crap about conventions. Call it whatever you like, but I'm pretty sure most of us started listening to DT because they wernt mainstream.
No, I listened to Dream Theater because they are good and their music clicked with me. I listen to several "mainstream" bands and not because they are popular or cool. I just listen to what I like sir. The whole "listening because it's not mainstream" thing is kind of...an immature mindset if you ask me.

But hey, to each his own. I don't want to come off as insulting.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 03:31:38 PM »

Come on.

No, I listened to Dream Theater because they are good and their music clicked with me. I listen to several "mainstream" bands and not because they are popular or cool. I just listen to what I like sir. The whole "listening because it's not mainstream" thing is kind of...an immature mindset if you ask me.

But hey, to each his own. I don't want to come off as insulting.

I'm not saying people should listen to DT because they want to be all non-conformist, but you can't tell me the people who like DT don't like it because it sounds different from popular music. That's the main point of it being progressive, it attracts people with a progressive and (sigh) non-conformist mindset.

I know it's a popular thing today to listen to things that are unpopular because that makes you cool in whatever teenage circles people are active in, and therefore "omg popular" ,and I do get the feeling there are an increasing number of people who do this with newer techy bands.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 03:34:30 PM »
 :lol   ^

Offline SixDegrees

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 03:37:10 PM »
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:16:25 AM by SixDegrees »

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2010, 03:56:10 PM »
I know it's a popular thing today to listen to things that are unpopular because that makes you cool in whatever teenage circles people are active in, and therefore "omg popular" ,and I do get the feeling there are an increasing number of people who do this with newer techy bands.

The popular thing is to listen to unpopular bands? So the unpopular bands are popular now, and the popular bands are unpopular, but then no one can listen to the ex-unpopular bands because they're popular now, so they all go back to listening to the ex-ex-popular bands who are now the popular bands again?

I hate you.

No, what I'm saying is that if a band is popular, it's important to understand that people will like it because in the eyes of their peers they have now become unpopular and cool, making them really popular. But, unfortunately, it's a vicious cycle, as the popularity cancels out with the popularity through constructive and destructive popularity interference, creating some kind of weird teenage popularity paradox.

It's like taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC within a bowl that's inside your dream within a dream theater. It's so complex and cool.

Now do you understand?

Offline SixDegrees

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 03:58:01 PM »
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:16:51 AM by SixDegrees »

Offline Nt-II

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 04:01:04 PM »
i think he means the scared of dt turning mainstream which would mean . 3 min songs verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus end ... i got to agree once some >>metal<< bands turn mainstream once they take this road and start making music for the money and not their >>Original<< fans or for there >>Heart And Soul<<.. but because im a smart fella i know dream theater isn't like this :D

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2010, 04:23:08 PM »
This is the worst thread ever.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 04:24:43 PM »

Awesome. I'm really into these guys right now. I want to talk to you guys more about them, so I think it's appropriate to start a thread about that. They really deserve it.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010, 04:29:09 PM »

Awesome. I'm really into these guys right now. I want to talk to you guys more about them, so I think it's appropriate to start a thread about that. They really deserve it.

Yeah, I gave it a listen and I really like this band, so something good came of this thread.

Offline i am fabio

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 08:22:43 PM »

Offline i am fabio

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2010, 08:30:31 PM »
I "discovered' DT on the release of BCSL. I had heard them before because i have been hugely into bands like Sym X and Angra as well as Pagans Mind. So i kinda went backwards through the discography and now own all of them. I love BCSL and Images and words. TOT is the least interesting to me. I'd have to say my favorite is 6DOIT but it changes alot...I guess my point is that people who heard Images first have a really hard time letting it go lol. Not an insult to anyone just an observation from my short time on this forum.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2010, 08:59:06 PM »
*snip*
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 04:06:59 AM by hefdaddy42 »

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2010, 09:29:33 PM »
"I don't listen to music because if I liked a band that means that they would have one fan and that would be way to mainstream for me."

I forget where I heard that, but I felt it was appropriate for this thread.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2010, 09:35:39 PM »
I would remove that picture if I cared about not being banned.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2010, 10:13:18 PM »
I would remove that picture if I cared about not being banned.

Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?