Author Topic: What if MP wants to come back now?  (Read 69811 times)

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
What if MP wants to come back now?
« on: December 14, 2010, 03:21:02 PM »
Of course this is hypothetical, but I read a thread yesterday about one of MP's latest tweets where he sounded a little more heartbroken about things. People said maybe it was because the A7X gig is over and he knows DT is about to go into the studio without him and such, so it got me thinking...since they've got a new drummer and they're working him in right now (for all we know maybe they're already done working him in), what if MP came knocking on JP's door and asked to come back, what would happen? They said the door would always be open for him, but it seems like kind of a lot has been said between DT and MP since then. Do you think they would just take him back in and forget anything ever happened, or do you think they are more excited about starting with a fresh drummer than he would have expected?
Just a thought.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline NecessaryPain

Re: What if MP wants to come back now?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 03:24:56 PM »
I don't think the band care that he's gone.

Infact, they might have wanted it.

Just a guess, like.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 03:28:22 PM »
I've always thought that bands are like being together with a girlfriend. And, what usually happens after a breakup, once you got over the initial shock, you relish your sudden freedom. You can't tell me that everybody was happy in the band about how all executive power was bundled through Mike. So, all these things, including facing the world publicly, are up for grabs. Switching back to the old days (and a return of Mike would exactly entail that) is something I can't see many DT members being excited about.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jsem

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 03:31:49 PM »
MP has hinted that he wants to come back, he only seems to be away for a few years. I think it's gonna be hard to get a maiden kinda thing where MP comes back and they whoever the new drummer is wants to stay... two drummers would be weird - but MP wants to come back sooner or later. The thing is I'm not sure if the others want him back.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 03:36:16 PM »
I really hope DT don't take Mike back.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline j

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 04:05:24 PM »
To me, it's still unclear how the state of the relationship between Portnoy and the other guys is.  But I get the feeling that it's not as peachy as they'd like us to think.  And that would be the determining factor in whether they'd be willing to up-end their current direction so soon to let him back in.

-J

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 04:06:08 PM »
For some reason I thought the Avenged Sevenfold tour went into 2011, overlapping the time when DT was going back into the studio, bringing about the whole "one or the other" thing.  If the tour is done now, there's actually no schedule conflict.  What each of them does during DT's "down time" is their own business.

So that means Mike was actually thinking ahead towards 2011 and figuring he'd need a break, brought it up to the rest of the band, and (I'm guessing) a heated discussion ensued, ending with Mike leaving the band.

If the A7X tour is done now, he's probably wondering what he'll do next month when the band "he founded" goes back into the studio.  No wonder he's feeling like shit now.  Nothing like burning your bridges before you even get to them.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 04:07:28 PM »
To me, it's still unclear how the state of the relationship between Portnoy and the other guys is.  But I get the feeling that it's not as peachy as they'd like us to think. 

I have the impression that we're witnessing him getting more and more bitter by the minute. So, while the initial parting might have been semi-amicable, I just have the impression he's pulling a second KM with DT.

rumborak

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 04:24:14 PM »
Except KM shut the hell up about it.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 04:25:43 PM »

Except KM took only one song with him when he left. :|

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 04:28:29 PM »

I meant it the other way around. When KM left, MP never let the matter rest. There was a steady flow of side jabs, up to just recently (a few months ago). Seems he's starting with DT too now, judging from the latest tweet.

rumborak

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 04:31:42 PM »

KM didn't have faebook or twitter.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 04:37:05 PM »
I doubt he would've used one had it existed back then. Just his personality.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 04:42:02 PM »
I was thinking about how much he probably wants to be back in DT, and I too think that the other guys are pretty happy to go on without him. That interview where one of the members mentioned that John Myung wasn't socializing with the band anymore due to Mike's domineering attitude... that's really strong to me. I'm almost certain that Myung is probably happy, since apparently he is quite excited once more.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 04:55:26 PM »
Personally if he wants to come back that's his business as well as DT.

If they did take him back, I'd be less excited for a new DT album. Since Mike left I feel a real excitement for the new album that I haven't felt in a while.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 05:27:57 PM »
I was thinking about how much he probably wants to be back in DT, and I too think that the other guys are pretty happy to go on without him. That interview where one of the members mentioned that John Myung wasn't socializing with the band anymore due to Mike's domineering attitude... that's really strong to me. I'm almost certain that Myung is probably happy, since apparently he is quite excited once more.

No one has ever said Myung doesn't socialize as much because of Mike.  The classic rock interview mentioned that John wasn't socializing as much, which, according to JR, wasn't any different than when he joined the band.  No one said it was because of Mike.  It is popular speculation though, to which there is some truth (the "lyric rule" for instance).

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 05:52:26 PM »
For some reason I thought the Avenged Sevenfold tour went into 2011, overlapping the time when DT was going back into the studio, bringing about the whole "one or the other" thing.  If the tour is done now, there's actually no schedule conflict.  What each of them does during DT's "down time" is their own business.

So that means Mike was actually thinking ahead towards 2011 and figuring he'd need a break, brought it up to the rest of the band, and (I'm guessing) a heated discussion ensued, ending with Mike leaving the band.

If the A7X tour is done now, he's probably wondering what he'll do next month when the band "he founded" goes back into the studio.  No wonder he's feeling like shit now.  Nothing like burning your bridges before you even get to them.

MP didnt leave for A7X...and their tour isnt over. it resumes next month. rumor has it he's done with A7X and they're finding a replacement.

he left DT cause he needed a break from DT.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 06:36:47 PM »
MP left because MP wanted time off from DT, not because he wanted to join A7X.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 07:01:02 PM »
No one has ever said Myung doesn't socialize as much because of Mike. 

While that its true, the DVD commentary discussion about how to write music was a pretty direct insight into how things work in DT, especially who calls the shots. And also keep in mind that 95% of all statements about JM's role in DT were by Mike.

rumborak

Offline Stoneyman

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 07:46:29 PM »
The timing of his rumored departure from AX7 is what makes it so likely.

It is probably killing him that he made that decision a few months back to leave DT.  I have always had the feeling that he may have had serious regrets from the get go but couldnt go back and change his mind and look stupid.  His musical "wife" has been dating a few other guys and is about to move in permanently with his replacement.  If it were me, no matter what my original reason to leave was/is, I would fucking hate it.  I think this is where MP is now.

Since we all love to wildly speculate, here my GUESS!
Mike regrets his decision.
I imagine that he has had to sign some paperwork that outlines what he is entitled to from DT moving forward.  This has got to be killing him.  He has been 1/5 owner in the DT corporation and I am sure that, even though he left, he is still in some way part of the original ownership group.  That has to be worked out.  Stuff agreed to, signed off on, and new arrangements have to be made....kinda like a divorce settlement.  If anything, this process SHOWS HIM the finality and full impact of HIS decision.  He has regrets.

Now, does he want to come back?  And are they delaying announcing the new guy until DT knows for sure?  WHO KNOWS!

But damn, all this waiting and wild speculation is sure fun!

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 07:59:29 PM »
I think it's ironic that MP ragged on KM for years and now finds himself in a similar situation.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Stoneyman

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2010, 08:07:47 PM »
Things seem to be getting heated over at MP's place.

Bannings are going down I heard.

Twitter is EVIL MP, EVIL I say!

I really do think that the "DT divorce agreements" are really making MP miserable.  I wish all parties involved a safe & happy holiday.

.....silver linings to come

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2010, 08:16:12 PM »
Honestly, if MP wants to come back now, its a bit too late after all this fuss.  I want to see a post-Portnoy DT.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2010, 08:16:19 PM »
I hope DT does not take him back. No offense to MP, but this may be the best thing to happen to the band thus far.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline pianoman

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
Check out Mike's last line, before the end of the video. It'll blow your mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woxbCUpws44

Offline PetFish

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2010, 09:14:48 PM »
I'm in the "do not want him back" boat... for now.  DT should do the new album w/o him and MP gets his break that he so desperately wanted.  Give it this album/tour and then address it again afterwards.  I think it's best for DT and MP that they don't even talk about reuniting at all until then.  Every time an interviewer or fan asks any of them "when is MP re-joining" or anything along that line they should say "we're not discussing it until this album/tour are over, then we'll see".  I want no distractions for the new album/tour.  Give it the best chance it can of succeeding.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2010, 09:16:22 PM »
Check out Mike's last line, before the end of the video. It'll blow your mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woxbCUpws44

For those too lazy: "I think in the end it was probably for the best that we separated in order to keep both of us happy and keep all of us sane." (Referring to Kevin, of course.)
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2010, 09:35:43 PM »
MP left because MP wanted time off from DT, not because he wanted to join A7X.

But DT was "off" at the time anyway.  My point is that DT were between projects anyway, yet Mike was already looking at January 2011 and their planned return to the studio and saying he couldn't do that because he needed a break.  But now he's whining and sad and seems to be stopping just short of saying he wishes he could be back.  Well, he didn't have to leave in the first place.  What else does he have planned for next month?

I think it's ironic that MP ragged on KM for years and now finds himself in a similar situation.

But it's not similar.  KM never whined about how sad he was since leaving, or how hard it is to watch someone fuck your ex-wife.  He walked away and closed the door.  Mike most definitely is not closing the door on this, though many wish he would, one way or another.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2010, 09:58:29 PM »

But it's not similar.  KM never whined about how sad he was since leaving, or how hard it is to watch someone fuck your ex-wife.  He walked away and closed the door.  Mike most definitely is not closing the door on this, though many wish he would, one way or another.

It is similar, because he's KM in this situation only insofar as the fact that he left.  He's hung up on this just as he was hung up on KM leaving.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2010, 10:27:39 PM »
It's a control issue.  He simply seems to get extremely frustrated when he cannot control something or dictate exactly how he thinks something should go down. 

As much as I have criticized him over the years, I do feel a bit bad for him.  While he has not handled this well, it has to be an extremely difficult thing to go through. 

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2010, 11:41:29 PM »
I agree with Kev (also with several other posts in this thread). Imo, MP also feels huge regret because of it all.

Also, I'd be a bit irritated if MP convinced DT to take him back, whether it would be now or for the next album. To be honest, I welcome this change that became necessary, and going back to the same-old-same-old would leave me very disappointed.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2010, 12:14:53 AM »
It's a control issue.  He simply seems to get extremely frustrated when he cannot control something or dictate exactly how he thinks something should go down.

Of course, that's why he threatened to leave during the FII era; not only did he lose creative control to the producers, he lost his sway over the rest of the band, who were themselves becoming convinced that maybe a change in direction in favor of what the producers promoted was a good idea.  When MP decided that he could no longer rein in the dissenting opinions, he decided he'd skip town.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2010, 12:14:59 AM »
selfishly, I would love to see MP come back and all by gones be by gones.  not sure if it would be best, though, or even realistic

Offline lord-ruler

• lord-ruler
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2010, 12:29:21 AM »
I do not want MP to come back to DT because there are bound to be problems and hurt feelings.   I think Labrie is happy about the change and  he would be harder to replace than MP.     I am glad that he probably won't be in Avenged sevenfold.   They have some good songs but at the same time they are also kind of lame.   I would like him to use his magic power of persuasion and form a band featuring Neal Schon and Claudio Sanchez.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2010, 01:20:32 AM »
Speaking of MP's control issues... I've been thinking about this a lot recently.  Remember in the making-of DVD where MP and JP both signed a light-hearted contract about a certain musical choice (I can't remember what song they were discussing and can't find anything on Youtube to show you a clip of)?

Well, they were debating on what to do in the song, they finally signed this piece of paper and I'm guessing it ended up being the way JP wanted, but MP still couldn't handle it and reneged on the deal and they tore it up.  This was all in good fun but I can't help but see the significance now.  MP must control every little detail he possibly can and when it doesn't go his way he can't handle it.

I'm REALLY looking forward to a new DT chapter w/o MP.  I'm very hopeful that we'll have the most diverse and exciting album they've done in a decade.